Extra Crispy Air Fryer Chicken Drumsticks
On the hunt for an easy and amazing chicken recipe for your air fryer? Look no further! Not gonna lie, I love fried chicken. I dont have it that often though, as its so greasy and calorie laden. I was looking for a way to make chicken super crispy without having to sacrifice a lot of flavor or texture. After doing some research online and looking at various recipes, I noticed a lot of them used baking powder.
Its the baking powder that acts as a secret ingredient for chicken in the air fryer that gets the chicken skin ultra crispy. Almost like it is battered and fried.
I was pleasantly surprised how well it worked!
The measurements of the spices and baking powder dont need to be exact. If you use less or more drumsticks, more they are on the larger size, just adjust the amount of seasoning. The second time making it, I actually didnt measure any of the spices & baking powder at all. You just want the drumsticks well coated with the seasoning and baking powder.
Be sure to really rub the seasoning and baking powder into the chicken so you arent left with white spots from the baking powder.
- 10-12 chicken drumsticks
- 1 tsp salt
Can You Stack Chicken Legs In An Air Fryer
To cook the chicken legs, lay them in one flat layer.
They can be slighly touching if needed, but don’t stack them.
We need the air to flow freely around the chicken, so they need some space to cook.
Stacking them is not recommend at all.
Rather, if needed, you can work in batches to cook a higher volume of chicken legs.
For this recipe, I am using a 7 litre Air Fryer and the chicken is a 1.5 kg chicken.
Air Fryer Frozen Chickendrumsticks
Sometimes we forget to get the frozen meats out of the freezer in time for dinner and we are faced with the dilemma of how to cook frozen chicken.
The air fryer does a good job at cooking frozen foods. However if you are cooking chicken from frozen in the air fryer, Id recommend a saucy chicken recipe line this teriyaki chicken and BBQ chicken.
This is because unless the chicken was seasoned before freezing, you are likely to lose most of the seasoning added just before popping it into the fryer while it cooks and thaws. Tossing in teriyaki sauce or barbecue sauce will add more flavor.
Don’t Miss: Best Green Smoothie Recipes For Weight Loss
How To Cook Chicken Drumsticks In An Air Fryer
Chicken drumsticks and air frying are a match made in heaven. Seriously! Once you have tried cooking chicken legs in your air fryer you will never try to bake or broil them again!
Air fried chicken drumsticks are always perfectly crispy on the outside , and as a bonus, air frying times are often quicker than other cooking methods, helping the chicken to crisp up on the outside faster and stay moist and succulent inside.
Since I got my air fryer, air frying has become my favorite way to cook chicken. Here are some other great air fryer chicken recipes you may enjoy: air fryer chicken wings, air fryer chicken thighs, or air fryer chicken tenders.
Scroll down for the printable card for this air fryer chicken drumstick recipe, or read on for all the details!
What Is An Air Fryer
An air fryer is a small kitchen appliance that makes use of hot air circulation technology to give the food a crispy texture similar to conventional deep frying. The air fryer cooks food more healthily as it does not use oil or just very little oil. The air fryer is great for cooking frozen breaded fish fillet, chicken nuggets, chicken wings, and many more different types of food. You may surprise that you can also make a dessert with the air fryer.
Recommended Reading: Easy Healthy Recipes For Kids To Make
How Long To Cook Chicken Legs In An Air Fryer
The technical answer for how long to cook chicken drumsticks is to cook until the chicken reaches an internal temperature of 165 degrees. To confirm this, youll need a meat thermometer. But, of course, not everyone has a meat thermometer.
For bare minimum doneness: 24 total minutes in an air fryer set to 400 degrees will adequately cook the drumsticks. But, the longer you keep them in the air fryer, the crispier they will get.
For crispy drumsticks: cook them for about 30 total minutes.
One great thing about air fryers generally is that you can always open the lid, check on your meat, and continue cooking if you need more time.
The Best Air Fryer Recipes
If you’re looking for more delicious recipes to use with your air fryer, check out some of our favorites below:
- The Best Easy Air Fryer French Fries Recipe
- Brown Butter Bacon Baked Brussels Sprouts Recipe
- Air Fryer Chicken Fried Steak Recipe
- Air Fryer Cinnamon Raisin Bagels
- The Best Air Fryer Baked Potato Recipe
- Air Fryer Pumpkin Bundt Cake
- Air Fryer Greek Chicken Meatballs
- Air Fryer Blackened Shrimp Recipe
You can find our entire air fryer recipe index here.
Also Check: Hershey’s Thumbprint Cookies Recipe
Can I Add Bbq Sauce
Yes, most definitely! There are two ways to add your barbecue sauce. The first is to wait until your chicken legs are completely cooked, then coat them with the BBQ sauce. This is my suggested method for cooking the chicken legs best.
The second option will get a nice bbq crusting to the chicken drumsticks. However, you will need to open the air fryer door more than I would suggest normally.
With the second option, cook the drumsticks for the first ten minutes as directed. Coat the chicken legs with your favorite bbq sauce and continue to cook the chicken legs. Coat the chicken drumsticks every 5 minutes of the remaining cooking time.
The Best Funeral Potatoes
This super cheesy, crunchy topped hash brown casserole is truly The Best Funeral Potatoes Ever! The combination of sour cream, onions, garlic and that buttery top all meld together with the potatoes for a side dish perfect for any occasion. Serve this up for your next holiday, or special day and watch the dish disappear. Its a comfort food classic!
Recommended Reading: Mediterranean Diet Recipes Low Carb
Air Fryer Chicken Drumsticks
If you have an air fryer, you know what a great job they do at making delicious food, in a short amount of time. We use our air fryer for many things, we even reheat pizza in an air fryer! Air fryer pork tenderloin is a huge hit in my house. So it should come as no surprise that chicken legs in the air are absolutely fantastic.
After learning how to make drumsticks in the air fryer, you may never go back to using the oven or frying pan!
Other Recipes To Serve With Air Fryer Chicken Legs
- Homemade Ranch Dressing If youre searching for the perfect drumstick dip you can never go wrong with ranch!
- Garlic Ranch Potato Wedges You can bake these wedges in the oven in about as long as it takes to fry these chicken legs!
- Easy Wedge Salad This is my favorite salad and a great side dish to balance out fried chicken and potato wedges.
Also Check: Jameson And Ginger Ale Recipe
Ninja Foodi Air Fryer Chicken Legs
This post may contain affiliate links to products I use and highly recommend. You can read my full disclosure .
Fried chicken might just be one of the most delicious foods I can think of. Unfortunately, most fried chicken recipes are loaded with carbs because of the breading. These Air Fryer Chicken Legs come out delightfully crispy and full of flavor in about 30 minutes. They are the perfect way to get fried chicken flavor without using breading or added grains.
Air Fryer Breaded Fried Chicken Drumsticks
- 1 TBS extra virgin olive oil
Total time: 1 hour 25 minPrep time: 10 min + 1 hour marinating Cook time: 15 min per batch Serves: 2 people
1. Place the chicken in a sealable plastic bag. Pour the kefir or buttermilk all over the drumsticks. Seal the bag and place it in the refrigerator for 1 hour .
2. Remove the chicken from the refrigerator 15 minutes prior to cooking so it can come to room temperature.
3. Preheat the air fryer to 375°F for 3 minutes.
4. In a shallow bowl, combine the breadcrumbs, flour, baking powder, paprika, salt, pepper, oregano, cayenne, and garlic powder. Stir in the olive oil until the crumbs are damp.
5. Remove the drumsticks from the kefir and shake off the excess. Place them in the bowl of dry ingredients and coat completely.
6. Put the drumsticks, skin side down, in a single layer in your air fryer basket or on the crisper plate. Cook for 8 minutes. Turn the chicken over and continue to cook until the coating is golden brown and crunchy and the internal temperature is 165°F when checked with a digital meat thermometer, approximately 7 to 8 minutes.
7. Remove the drumsticks to a serving platter and tent with foil. Allow the chicken to rest while you cook some fried pickles or grill some corn to serve with your meal. Ranch dressing goes well with fried chicken and pickles.
Read Also: 5 Day Liquid Diet Weight Loss Recipes
Airfryer Chicken Drumsticks Plated Cravings
Air Fryer Fried Chicken Drumsticks Recipe. Here are a number of highest rated Air Fryer Fried Chicken Drumsticks Recipe pictures on internet. We identified it from obedient source. Its submitted by executive in the best field. We resign yourself to this nice of Air Fryer Fried Chicken Drumsticks Recipe graphic could possibly be the most trending topic next we allocation it in google help or facebook.
Air Fryer Chicken Legs Recipe
For this chicken legs recipe, you require just a few ingredients- chicken and few pantry ingredients. I have listed the spices and herbs I use in marinating the chicken but you can use your favorite seasoning like this homemade chicken seasoning, jerk seasoning, Italian seasoning, Suya spice, and more.
You can make this air fried chicken legs with the skin on or take the skin off. You can take them off before or after cooking.
The chicken leg quarters are well seasoned and tasty right through to the bone. No bland chicken here, please!
With the air fryer, once you know the temperature and cooking time required to make a dish, you don’t have to babysit while the food cooks. Note that timing is slightly different and varies with the brand of the air fryer but this one here takes just 20 minutes and you have the best air fried chicken legs.
I also love how easy it is to clean up after cooking. Want crispy chicken without the grease and mess? Let me show you how to make the best air fryer chicken legs.
Don’t Miss: Gluten Free Dairy Free Snack Recipes
Do I Have To Use Buttermilk
Yes, you really should! Not only does it add flavor but it actually helps the chicken maintain its juiciness inside while helping to create a crispy outside. If you have time you can even let the chicken sit in the buttermilk from an hour to up to overnight. If you dont have buttermilk on hand you can make your own using lemon juice or vinegar using this How to Make Buttermilk recipe.
A Few More Suggestions For Great Chicken Wings
Making these wings is going to be life changing, especially if you are wing lover. Making anything with the word crispy in it is just plain amazing like Crispy Garlic Sweet Potato Fries or Crispy Parmesan Garlic Chicken! Yummy!
- Can I make air fryer chicken wings in the oven instead? Yes, most definitely! They will take longer and your results may not be the same. Bake the chicken wings at 425 degrees F for 35-45 min or till the internal temperature reaches 165 degrees Fahrenheit. Flip the chicken half way through baking.
- Variations: This is such an easy recipe to adapt to your likes. Its amazing as is, but you can definitely try different seasonings and sauces to mix it up.
- How do I know theyre done cooking? Using a meat thermometer, insert it into the thickest part of the wing. It should register 165 degrees Fahrenheit.
Also Check: Healthy Crock Pot Recipes For Weight Loss
Air Fryer Panko Breaded Fried Chicken Drumsticks
Air Fryer Panko Breaded Fried Chicken Drumsticks is a quick and easy, kid-friendly recipe that only requires a handful of ingredients, including, buttermilk, to produce crispy and crunchy chicken. This post will demonstrate how to cook chicken drumsticks using your Power Air Fryer, Cooks Essentials, or any air fryer brand for this recipe. Use fresh or frozen chicken legs.
This post contains affiliate links. Please read my full disclosure here.
This post was originally published in January 2019. It has since been updated.
FOR THE FULL LIST OF INGREDIENTS AND COMPREHENSIVE INSTRUCTIONS, PLEASE SEE THE RECIPE CARD AT THE END OF THIS POST. BEFORE YOU SCROLL, THERES IMPORTANT INFORMATION IN THIS BLOG POST.
Tips For Making Crispy Chicken Drumsticks
- No need to rinse the raw chicken. Just pat dry chicken before cooking, with paper towels.
- Combining the flour and baking soda with other spices helps make the drumsticks crispy. This air fryer recipe makes the best crispy and juicy chicken drumsticks.
- Leaving chicken drumsticks skin on helps the chicken to become crispy. Skinless chicken will be delicious too, just not as crispy.
- Use a digital food thermometer to check chicken for doneness. I highly recommend using this thermometer, when cooking meat in the air fryer. A thermometer confirms chicken temperature very easily.
- I make this recipe in my Cosori air fryer and 20 minutes cook time was perfect. Because all air fryers are different, you may need to adjust cooking time by 2-5 minutes.
- If making more than 4-6 drumsticks, prepare the chicken in batches. To get the crunchy skin, avoid overlapping or having drumsticks touch in the basket.
MORE CHICKEN AIR FRYER RECIPES:
Read Also: Keto Recipes Without Almond Flour
Air Fryer Shake N Bake Fried Chicken
This is a fantastic method to get a quick, easy and crispy air fried chicken drumsticks or chicken thigh dinner in minutes. Wow, we were impressed with the flavors in these seasoning mixes. Best of all, theyre crazy easy to use and the results in the air fryer are always crispy and fantastic. Theres many different boxed options for seasoned breading mix out there so lets talk about how to use them.
Video: Air Fried Shake N Bake Style Chicken Recipe
Keto Recipes To Serve With This Main Dish
Assuming you are making these air fryer drumsticks because you want a quick and yummy keto dinner, I would suggest making some cheesy cauliflower broccoli rice which only takes 15 minutes.
Well I hope you give these air fryer chicken legs a try. Its an inexpensive but very tasty keto dinner that is family friendly as well.
Check out all of my air fryer recipes. My air fryer is becoming one of my favorite kitchen appliances, especially for fried food.
The nutrition information for 1 leg is 240 calories14.1g fat / 1.7g carbs / 0.4g fiber / 24.8g protein = 1.3g net carbohydrates
Also Check: Cooking With Toddlers Easy Recipes
Air Fryer Chicken Drumsticks Recipe
220 People Used
Emeril Power Air Fryer 360 | Air Fried Chicken
BBQ Glazed Chicken Thighs | Emeril Lagassi Power Air…
EMERIL LAGASSE AIR FRYER 360 DELICIOUS CHICKEN WINGS…
Air Fried Chicken Thighs | Emeril Lagassi Power Air…
Emeril Power AirFryer Spicy Fried Chicken Wings and…
Why Are They Called Funeral Potatoes
- Whats in a Name: As the name suggests, this cheesy potato comfort food is traditionally served at a meal for the grieving family following a funeral. Most commonly known as Funeral Potatoes in the western and southern United States they are also known as a Cheesy Potato Casserole. Theyre popular at gatherings of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints and are often served at their funerals and other functions.
- Why Funerals: Besides cheese and potatoes being an ultimate comfort food and just delicious, they are easy to transport, easy to make, and easy to keep warm. Perfect for a potluck and a time of need.
- The Little Black Dress of Side Dishes: A big helping of cheesy potatoes goes with just about any main dish, making it a very versatile dish. Dress it up or dress it down for the occasion. From Christmas, to birthdays, to funerals, its the perfect side attraction. Trust me these will go fast!
Recommended Reading: Vegan Recipes From Around The World