Storing & Freezing Tips
- To store: store any leftover crock pot beef stew in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3-4 days. Simply reheat in the microwave or in a pot on the stovetop.
- To freeze: let the beef stew cool completely, transfer it to a freezer-safe container, and freeze for up to 3 months. To reheat, let the slow cooker beef stew thaw in the refrigerator overnight before heating it in the microwave or on the stovetop.
How To Thicken Crock Pot Beef Stew Recipe
Once the stew is done, if its too watery, add a cornstarch slurry to the crock pot to thicken beef stew. To make the corn starch slurry, I combine approximately ¼ cup of cold water with 1 tablespoon of cornstarch.
Then stir this mixture into the beef stew, cover and cook on high for 30 minutes to thicken the stew. Then serve the thickened beef stew over your favorite corn bread and enjoy!
Also, this recipe can be made in an electric pressure cooker, Instant Pot Beef Stew Recipe is perfect for when you forget to throw the ingredients in the crock pot that morning.
More About Beef Stew In The Crock Pot Recipes
BEEF STEW MADE IN THE CROCK-POT | I HEART RECIPES
BEST EVER SLOW COOKER BEEF STEW | THE RECIPE CRITIC
- Salt and pepper the beef and add to the skillet and sear on each side for 2-3 minutes. Transfer beef to the slow cooker. Add carrots, potatoes, onion, and garlic.
- Add the beef broth, tomato sauce, worcestershire, italian seasoning, and salt and pepper. Cook on low for 8-10 hours and high for 6-8 until beef and veggies are tender.
- An hour before serving, take out 1 cup of the beef stew and whisk with 1/4 cup flour. Stir into the stew along with the frozen peas.
CROCK POT BEEF STEW – RECIPES THAT CROCK!
34 OF OUR FAVORITE SLOW-COOKER STEW RECIPES | TASTE OF HOME
10 BEST CROCK POT BEEF STEW RECIPES | YUMMLY
CROCKPOT BEEF STEW – SPEND WITH PENNIES
- Brown the beef and onions in olive oil small batches. Add some of the broth to the pan and scrape up any brown bits.
BEEF STEW – LAUREN’S LATEST
- In a small bowl, stir butter with flour and cornstarch until a smooth paste is formed. Spoon the butter-flour paste into the crockpot and stir gently to melt and spread it evenly though the contents of the crockpot. Cover and cook another 20 minutes to thicken completely.
BEEF STEW CROCKPOT RECIPE LOVE FROM THE OVEN
CROCK POT BEEF STEW RECIPE | SAVORY NOTHINGS
You May Like: Philadelphia Cream Cheese Banana Bread Recipe
How Do You Make It
Even though there are a lot of ingredients and a bit of stovetop time, this recipe is actually quite easy to make!
Flavorful Beef Stew Crock Pot Recipe
A few years ago I began hunting down a really good beef stew recipe. I tried so many and none were quite right. Finally, I found one only it wasnt really for Beef Stew, it was for Beef Bourgignon which is a more complicated, richer version of a classic stew.
I altered the recipe and the result is an easy, delicious beef stew thats made in a slow cooker. I listed two methods for preparing this stew. To really get a nice, full flavor, I like to take about 15 minutes and do some pre-cooking on the stove. Its not necessary, but I prefer the flavor this way. Try both ways and see which one you like more.
Also Check: Drink Recipes Using Spiced Rum
Ingredients In Crock Pot Beef Stew
- Flour: All purpose white flour used for coating the beef.
- Seasoning Salt: Lots of different brands out there, choose your favorite.
- Beef Stew Meat: You can purchase this already cut up or buy the meat and cut it up yourself.
- Black Pepper: For seasoning the stew.
- Olive Oil: Could also substitute this with avocado oil.
- Onion: Diced by hand or with a food processor.
- Water: You could easily increase or decrease the amount to your desired level of liquid.
- Worcestershire Sauce: Adds a very delicious flavor to the stew.
- Beef Demi-Glaze: Pick this up from any grocery store or substitute with Swanson Beef Flavor Boost.
- Potatoes: Red potatoes hold up well to the low cooking heat and long cooking time.
- Carrots: Cut the carrots up into bite sized pieces.
- Celery: Celery adds a lot of flavor when combined with the other ingredients.
- Bay Leaves: Use whole or crushed.
Pro Tip: Cut all the veggies the night before so everything will be ready to toss in when you need it.
Slow Cooker Bbq Beef Sandwiches
- Calories: 190
- Protein: 15 grams
Serve these at your next outdoor barbecue, as they’re bound to be a hit. The stew meat is tender and pulled, and there’s a balance of sweet and savory in the sauce. There isn’t much fiber , so add a side salad or serving of green vegetables, like broccoli or Brussels sprouts. Or swap the bun for a lettuce wrap, instead!
- Calories: 384
- Protein: 35 grams
This barbecue beef recipe uses chuck roast for an affordable cut and the slow cooker keeps the meat flavorful and moist. On its own, the meat is tender and low in carbs and sugar, but it lacks fiber so stuff it into a baked sweet potato along with veggies or slaw. Sweet potato is packed with beta-carotene, which can support eye health, according to a June 2019 study in Food Science & Nutrition.
You May Like: Jordan’s Skinny Syrups Keto Recipes
Can You Put Frozen Meat Or Raw Stew Meat In The Crockpot
- Raw meat is perfectly safe to put into the slow cooker. In fact, after its browned it probably wont be fully cooked through. The crockpot finishes the job.
- Frozen beef is not safe to place in a crockpot. During cooking, the meat may spend too long at room temperature and become unsafe to eat.
- To thaw beef quickly and safely: Place your meat in a ziptop bag, squeeze out excess air, and seal. Then, place it in a large bowl, and fill the bowl with cold water. Let it sit for about 30 minutes. If its not thawed after this time, empty the water, and refill with fresh water.
Variations On Making Slow Cooker Beef Bourguignon
This beef bourguignon is known to be a decadent and one of the most flavorful stews. It is thick and hearty with rich flavors that continue to grow while cooking. Each ingredient is a key role in making this slow cooker beef bourguignon recipe the BEST. Make this ahead of time and have all the aroma lofting about in your home. Slow Cooker Beef Bourguignon is a MUST make this winter season. It is comforting and warms you up on those cold nights.
Enjoy these tips to making this slow cooker beef bourguignon recipe even better!
Also Check: New York Times Recipe Box
Notes About Slow Cooker Beef Stew:
- Feel free to brown the stew meat in oil to form a crust before adding it to the insert. This does give another dimension of flavor, but it is not necessary. I do it both ways just depending on how much time I have.
- You can modify the amounts of each vegetables based on what you have in the refrigerator or what your family prefers in this crock pot beef stew and vegetable recipe. Kids hate celery? Replace it with more carrots. You get the picture.
- The salt content in this crock pot beef stew with vegetables seems like a lot, but it needs it.
- You can easily double the entire recipe for this slow cooker beef stew recipe.
- Give the stew a good stir before serving to incorporate the sauce over all the layers.
Can You Make It Ahead Of Time
This Crockpot beef stew is a great make ahead dinner and can be kept in the fridge or frozen.
Let the stew cool completely before transferring it to an airtight container. It will keep well for up to 4 days in the fridge and up to 6 months in the freezer.
Thaw frozen stew in the fridge overnight. Reheat on the stovetop until heated through to serve.
Read Also: Meals On A Tight Budget Recipes
Get The Latest Recipes Right In Your Inbox:
Everyones favorite comforting beef stew made easily in the crockpot! The meat is SO TENDER and the stew is rich, chunky and hearty!
We had another heat wave in LA again. And when I say heat wave, I mean its 95 degrees. In the beginning of October, of course.
Then it was 55 the next day. The following week, it was 98.
Still. You know I made this beef stew when it was in the high 90s, not when it was our one day of winter.
But fortunately for my slow cooker, I barely had to lift a finger. I just ate this piping hot bowl of comforting stew with the AC on my face.
What Readers Thing Of Our Beef Stew Recipe:
Here are a few comments from the hundreds of reviews~
*****I made this stew the other day and it was absolutely wonderful!! Such a good recipe and I skipped the meat in flour and just seared it and minus the mushrooms since I dont like them and it was amazing!! Definitely saving the recipe and making it again!!! Kelly
*****This is unbelievable! I followed the recipe exactly and it turned out amazing. Everyone loved it! Would definitely make this again during this winter season. Chris
*****I made this over the weekend and it was fantastic! Thanks for sharing this recipe! Nathan
*****I made this and I cant believe it came from my kitchen. Followed recipe, didnt change anything. This is the best. The way I used to make stew before trying all different ways and forgetting the right way. Thanks ladies. Linda
Crock Pot Beef Stew is one of our favorite meals w
hen it is cold outside. I could have soup or stew for dinner every night from November to March and be perfectly content.
Also Check: 10 Day Green Smoothie Cleanse Recipes Day 1 10
Slow Cooker Beef Bourguignon
Slow Cooker Beef Bourguignon has crazy tender melt in your mouth beef and hearty veggies slow cooked to perfection in a rich sauce. This meal is comforting and perfect for the cold months ahead!
What Type Of Beef Is Best For Slow Cooker Beef Stew
This homemade beef stew recipe is best when made with lean cuts of beef that dont contain as much fat. The longer the beef simmers and cooks, the more tender it will be thanks to the breakdown of connective tissue. You can learn more about why tougher meats are better for stews here. Tip: make sure you trim all the beef of excess fat before using!
You May Like: Recipe For S Mores Bars
Crock Pot Steak And Potato Stew Will Be A Hit
This stew is always a crowd pleaser because everyone loves steak! It has lots of steak and potatoes with the best broth.
The steak sauce with the beef stock in this easy beef stew recipe is what makes this simple recipe completely packed with flavor! It has a delicious kick that keeps you coming back for more.
Make sure you make a double batch because it tastes amazing left over as well! You can enjoy it all week long for lunches too.
Frequently Asked Questions For Beef Bourguignon
Knowing how to make this slow cooker beef bourguignon even better is just what you need to make this the BEST EVER! I love the flavors that blend together and how well it cooks in the slow cooker. Impress your friends and family with this beautiful looking and tasting beef bourguignon recipe. It is one of a kind and tastes AMAZING with SO much flavor!
Here are a few frequently asked questions that will help you when making this beef bourguignon recipe.
- Can you make this on the stove or in the oven? Yes, this is made a few different ways. Try my BEST EVER Beef Bourguignon for a stove and oven recipe.
- What is the best meat to use for beef bourguignon? Beef stew meat is easiest or chuck is great if you cut it up. Brisket is also another great type of meat to use for beef bourguignon.
- Which red wine is best for beef bourguignon? I am not a wine drinker but I prefer a dark burgundy wine. Pinot Noir or Chianti are also great options. The wine does get cooked out and is safe for families to enjoy. I recommend if you drink the red wine then that is the type to add in the beef bourguignon.
- What is beef bourguignon traditionally served with? To make this a complete meal, add potatoes, noodles or even rice and a side salad. For a bread a hard baguette or dinner roll works well.
You May Like: Recipes For People Who Hate Cooking
How To Make Crock Pot Beef Stew:
- First in a 6 quart crock pot, place the stew meat and the potatoes on the bottom. Then place the green beans, onions, and carrots on top.
- Pour the crushed tomatoes, Worcestershire sauce and the water on top. Next season all the ingredients with the salt and pepper.
- Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours or on high for 3-4 hours. Each crock pot cooks differently so watch it closely toward the end of the cover cooking time. Youll know its ready when the beef is tender and the potatoes are soft.
- Allow the beef stew to sit in the crock pot for a few minutes before serving.
- Serve warm and enjoy. Thats all that is needed to make this quick and easy beef stew recipe.
What You Need To Make Slow Cooker Beef Bourguignon
There are a few extra steps involved in making this stew but I promise it is worth it. Once you cook the bacon and pan sear the meat, you throw it all into the crockpot and let it do its thing. This meal is truly the best flavored stew that I have ever had. I know that your family will love slow cooker beef bourguignon just as much as we did!
- Bacon: cooked and chopped up into pieces.
- Beef chuck: boneless
- Red cooking wine: this will cook out slowly and is added for flavoring.
- Chicken broth: added for flavor and liquid to cook and cover the meat and vegetables.
- Tomato sauce: flavorful and soaks in with the meat and vegetables.
- Soy sauce: adds a rich and slightly sweet flavoring.
- Flour: a thickener for the soup.
- Garlic cloves: finely chopped and a pungent and little bit of spice flavoring.
- Thyme: earthy and a little bit dry taste that adds flavor.
- Carrots: thick chunks cut up.
- Baby potatoes: just wash and clean.
- Mushrooms: sliced and added into the slow cooker.
- Parsley: finely chopped
You May Like: Whiskey Punch Recipe Ginger Ale
Recipe Notes Tips And Substitions
- Reheating: To reheat this recipe, simply place it in a microwaveable safe bowl and cook for a minute or two until fully heated. You can also reheat this stew on the stovetop in a saucepan.
- Protein: Instead of beef, feel free to use chicken breasts or thighs.
- Flavor: Sautéeing the beef, fennel, and onions allow the flavors to shine more than if they were just directly added to the Crockpot.
- Serve: Garnish with fresh parsley before serving.
- Leftovers: Store the leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to four days. To freeze, simply place the stew in a freezer-safe bag or container, label, and freeze for four months.
- Veggies: Want more veggies? Add your combination of vegetables like broccoli, cauliflower, bell peppers, green beans, etc.
Should You Sear Meat For Beef Stew
Searing, or browning, your meat is all about building flavor. When you sear your meat, you cook it at a high temperature until a crust starts to form and the surface begins to caramelize. This really helps to creates that deep and savory flavor. I typically cut my beef into chunks, dredge in flour, salt and pepper, then sear it in two batches.
Tips For Searing Meat For Stew
You May Like: Best Fruit Smoothie Recipes For Weight Loss