Did You Make This Recipe
Yes, this ketchup is great and all, but recently I took my love for things made with tomatoes to the next level, and also wanted to woo my husband at the same time. I took on the discerning challenge of barbecue sauce. I wanted to slather gluten-free homemade barbecue sauce across the top of a beautiful veggie loaf and so I got mixing, matching, simmering and sizzling.
And wowza is this what making love in the kitchen is truly all about.
The final product was amazing. Just enough zip, though you could always add more, and this made up two 250ml jars full of gluten-free barbecue sauce. The first one vanished in the first weekend.
More Recipes For Seasoning And Sauces
- Dairy-Free Avocado Crema
- How to Make Chimichurri Sauce
- Sugar-Free Rhubarb Compote or Stewed Rhubarb
- Quick Sugar-Free Blackberry Chia Seed Jam – Keto
When you make this cherry barbecue sauce recipe, please leave a comment and a rating below. I love hearing from you! Thanks in advance. and receive new recipes delivered straight to your inbox.
How To Make The Best Simple Bbq Saucerecipe
- Grab a small saucepan ~ The recipe makes about 3 cups of homemade bbq sauce. A 1 1/2 quart pot is perfect for this recipe. Set it on a stovetop burner over medium heat.
- Combine the ingredients ~ Add ketchup, apple cider vinegar, Worcestershire sauce, hot sauce, light brown sugar, mustard, and garlic powder to the pot. Stir to combine the ingredients.
- Bring the sauce to a low boil ~ Continue cooking the sauce over medium heat until it just bubbles.
- Simmer the bbq sauce ~ Turn the heat to low, and simmer the sauce for 10 minutes.
Your homemade bbq sauce is ready to serve!
You May Like: Best Moist Banana Cake Recipe
Homemade Bbq Sauce Variations
- Spicy BBQ Sauce: Add up to 1 tablespoon of hot sauce or 1/2 teaspoon of crushed red pepper flakes.
- Maple BBQ Sauce: Substitute 1/4 cup maple syrup for the honey.
- Extra Smoky BBQ Sauce: Double the amount of smoked paprika.
- Coca Cola BBQ Sauce: Add 1/2 cup Coca Cola to the recipe.
Homemade barbecue sauce is delicious on any type of meat. Its particularly good on smoked meats such as chicken and pork. It makes an amazing pulled pork sandwich and the best barbecued chicken wings youll ever eat.
I always keep this BBQ sauce in my freezer so that I have some on hand when the grilling mood strikes. It just cant be beat!
How To Make Bbq Sauce:
This bbq sauce recipe couldnt be easier to make! Simply
You May Like: Vegan Coffee Ice Cream Recipe
Making Homemade Barbecue Sauce Is Super Easy
Sure, store-bought barbecue sauce is alright, and 3-ingredient barbecue sauce sounds good, but is it?!? I know many people make their barbecue sauce with ketchup, but thats not what we do over here! You know why?! Because I like to know EXACTLY what goes into my homemade sauce no extra additives and preservatives from prepackaged ingredients.
This barbecue sauce is thick, tangy, smoky, sweet, and MADE COMPLETELY FROM SCRATCH! Yes, I repeat: This is a homemade barbecue sauce without ketchup! .
Homemade Cherry Barbecue Sauce Without Ketchup
Published: · Modified: May 22, 2022 by Elaine · This post may contain Amazon affiliate links · As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. This blog generates income via ads ·
Avoid extra sugar when you use this recipe for homemade barbecue sauce without ketchup! Made with naturally sweetened fruit, it has no added sugar. This cherry BBQ sauce recipe is made with either fresh or frozen cherries. It’s easy to adapt the spice level to your family’s tastes.
If you’ve been wondering if barbecue sauce can be made without ketchup, here’s your answer!
And this homemade cherry BBQ sauce recipe is made without ketchup, without sugar and without liquid smoke, too!
If you’ve ever searched grocery store shelves, looking for a bottle of BBQ sauce that doesn’t contain sugar, you know how frustrating it can be. Some brands list sugar as the second ingredient, after water.
Homemade barbecue sauce to the rescue! Many recipes online, however, simply use ketchup as a main ingredient. And ketchup contains sugar–a lot!
Don’t Miss: Desert Island Long Island Iced Tea Recipe
Favorite Ways To Use Bbq Sauce
- Chicken Use on baked chicken for a flavorful meal or drizzled over shredded chicken for a BBQ Chicken Sandwich.
- Pork Delicious with ribs, brisket and definitely with pulled pork. Hello, best pulled pork sandwich ever!
- Burgers Delicious on hamburgers in place of ketchup for a tasty BBQ Burger.
- Pizza Use in place of pizza sauce for a BBQ Chicken Pizza or a Pulled Pork Pizza. Yum!
How To Use Homemade Barbecue Sauce
The beauty of this easy sauce is that it can be used in any recipe that calls for premade barbecue sauce, or you can use it to spice up your favorite protein or even salad.
- Ribs. You can use this homemade BBQ sauce for pulled pork and for ribs .
- Salad. I love using this sauce to make my favorite BBQ Chicken Salad.
- Chicken. This is a delicious BBQ sauce recipe for chicken recipes like these Maple Bourbon Crock Pot BBQ Chicken Sandwiches. Or this Crock Pot BBQ Chicken. It would also be yummy brushed over grilled chicken breasts.
- Meatballs. Brush it over these Baked Turkey Meatballs for a different flavor spin.
Also Check: Lemon And Ginger Weight Loss Drink Recipe
How To Make Barbecue Sauce From Scratch
Full recipe with detailed steps in the recipe card at the end of this post.
You might notice that the sauce smells a little vinegary when bubbling in the pan, but the vinegar smell and taste mellows beautifully as the sauce cools
Chef Tips For Making Bbq Sauce
- Dont skip any of the ingredients ~ The combination of all the ingredients perfectly balances the tart, sweet, sour, and salty flavors of the barbecue sauce. Dont leave any out.
- Simmer the bbq sauce ~ Let the sauce simmer for the full 10 minutes. This step helps thicken the sauce to the ideal consistency.
If you make this simple bbq sauce recipe, Id love hearing from you all. Be sure to leave a comment and/or give this recipe a rating ~ I do my best to reply to all your comments. And snap a photo to post to . Ill add the photos to my Insta stories as I love seeing all your creations.
Also check out my and pages for lots of fabulous foodie stories, videos, cooking tips, and recipes.
Don’t Miss: Easy Gluten And Dairy Free Recipes
More Delicious Homemade Sauces
- This Enchilada Sauce comes together very quickly and is easier to make at home then to spend the time picking it up at the store and opening it to reheat. I promise youll love it.
- This is one of those sauces that I wont pick up in a jar homemade Alfredo Sauce takes better than anything I can find in the store aisles and its super easy to make!
- Arbys Sauce is perfect for those beef sandwiches you make yourself and then want a delicious homemade sauce to go on it!
- Sometimes an unplanned pizza night calls for Pizza Sauce on the quick! You can do that with this recipe!
- Pasta Sauce takes pasta night up a notch with tastier sauce. Once you try it, youll always want it prepared this way!
- Taco Sauce is the bomb! Perfect for nachos, tacos and dipping taquitos in, youll enjoy this version you create yourself.
Will you help add value to Pip and Ebby?If you make this recipe and love it, stop back and give it a 5-star rating and leave a comment. THANK YOU!
How To Make The Best Barbecue Sauce
Not only is making your own barbecue sauce from scratch infinitely more delicious than anything youll find at the store, it is EASY.
While this isnt one of those 3 ingredient BBQ sauce recipes , it is still super simple and its flavor is a dead ringer for the barbecue sauces Ive tried at legit BBQ joints.
Lets break it down, BBQ-style.
Also Check: Sea Salt Scrub Recipe For Face
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
- This recipe for homemade Cherry Barbecue Sauce has no added granulated sugar, brown sugar, maple syrup or honey! It’s naturally sweet and mildly spicy with fruit and spices.
- Making your own homemade barbecue sauce is easy and you can customize it to suit your family’s tastes.
- This recipe uses molasses to get that deep rich flavour of tangy Kansas City-style BBQ sauce!
- Making homemade sauces and seasonings can be so satisfying! If you’re inspired to try more, you’ll find lots of ideas in my seasonings and sauces category.
If you’ve been following along with me for a while, you’ll know my love for both fresh and frozen cherries. Once I discovered I could buy organic cherries that were already pitted, I started creating cherry recipes!
If you love cherries, too, check out these 8 Fabulous Recipes for Fresh or Frozen Cherries.
Ways To Use Bbq Sauce:
There are so many great ways to put a batch of homemade BBQ sauce to delicious use! Some of our faves include:
- Traditional bbq meat: Grilled or pulled chicken, pulled pork, ribs, burnt ends, etc.
- Baked beans: BBQ sauce is a simple and delicious way to flavor a batch of baked beans.
- Burgers: Use it as a spread on your favorite burgers.
- Pizzas: Use it in place of pizza sauce.
- Soups/salads: Mix it into broths to flavor soups, or use the sauce as a dressing for your salad.
- Tacos/quesadillas/burritos: BBQ sauce is a great way to give your favorite Mexican dishes a different twist.
- Dipping sauce: And of course, its always a great dipping sauce for everything from chicken nuggets to veggie sticks to cocktail meatballs and more!
You May Like: Simple Chili Recipe With Tomato Juice
How Can I Add Smoky Flavor
If you like smoky BBQ sauce, you can double the amount of smoked paprika and/or add 1 or 2 teaspoons of liquid smoke along with the other ingredients. I left the liquid smoke out of the main recipe because I wanted to keep it simple, since liquid smoke is an ingredient that you may not have on hand.
How Does Carolina Mustard Bbq Sauce Taste
Carolina mustard BBQ sauce has a tangy flavor with different degrees of sweet, savory, and spicy tones. Mustard naturally has a strong flavor that complements barbecue meats perfectly.
Apple cider vinegar increases the zesty flavor will creating an intense flavor that is ideal for pulled pork. Garlic, onion, Worcestershire sauce, and chili powder are usually used to create savory tones.
You May Like: Hotty Toddy Recipe Ole Miss
How To Make Bbq Sauce Out Of Ketchup At Home
Are you ever eating something and wish you just had some awesome sauce to add to it? Well, that happened to me a couple of years ago and it inspired me to write this post today. I was eating fries with a side of ketchup and I thought to myself, how could I improve this?
Yes its true, I wasnt supposed to be eating those delicious French-fries at that moment. Word around the house is that Im known to eat all the food before dinner is served. I like to think my wife made that story up!
Needless to say, I tend to be the mad scientist in the kitchen finding ways to whip up some exciting new recipes like how to make bbq sauce out of ketchup!
This is a fairly quick recipe to make. It comes together in about 20 minutes or so. If I were to describe the flavor it would be a little tangy, tingly and spicy.
I love to use this natural ketchup my wife buys online. Its a 100% natural and she usually chooses healthier options when it comes to food for the house. It truly has a great flavor, but you can use any store-bought ketchup of your choice. I left the links below if youre interested in the exact products.
I can now imagine putting this sauce on a home made pizza! Could you just imagine a bbq chicken pizza with a great sauce. This might be something I have to write about soon.
Simple Bbq Sauce Recipe
I love making this easy homemade bbq sauce recipe. The ketchup based sauce is always a hit whenever I serve it. It is made with every day pantry ingredients that are combined in a pot on the stovetop. The sweet and tangy sauce is delicious slathered on ribs, chicken, and added to these Barbecue Pork Sliders. It is better than any bottled barbecue sauce from the store!
Don’t Miss: Best Strawberry Banana Smoothie Recipe
Why Use Homemade Bbq Sauce
I have a chronic condiment problem. I tend to have waaaay too many bottles of half used condiments in my fridge, so when I can make a homemade sauce with pantry staples, I do. Its not always less expensive, but the fact that I can use up what I already have on hand instead of buying something new is itself an advantage. Plus, there are no mystery thickeners, emulsifiers, or sweeteners in this version.
How To Make Homemade Bbq Sauce
When I say this recipe is easy, I really mean it. There are only two steps involved:
Pro Tip: Right off the heat, the sauce will taste a little spicy and it will smell vinegary. Once you refrigerate it, the flavors will meld and mellow.
Recommended Reading: Hershey’s Original Chocolate Cake Recipe
Homemade Bbq Sauce Ingredients:
To make this homemade bbq sauce recipe, you will need the following ingredients :
- Tomato sauce: One can of plain tomato sauce .
- Apple cider vinegar: To add some tang to the sauce.
- Honey: I really prefer the taste of honey as the natural sweetener in this bbq sauce. But you could also sub in brown sugar or maple syrup.
- Tomato paste: To intensify the rich tomato flavor in this sauce.
- Molasses: A must in Kansas City bbq sauce!
- Worcestershire: If making this sauce vegan, be sure to use a vegan brand of Worcestershire.
- Liquid smoke: To give the sauce those important smoky notes.
- Spices: A combo of smoked paprika, garlic powder, black pepper, onion powder and salt. Plus a few optional pinches of cayenne, if you would like to give the sauce some heat.
Can I Use Less Sugar
BBQ sauce is by nature a sweet sauce. The sugar in this recipe serve to sweeten the sauce, balance the acidity, and create a slight glaze-like texture. The amount of sugar listed in the recipe below is balanced to my taste buds, but you can always experiment with a lower sugar content to see if its palatable to you. Or try Googling a low sugar BBQ sauce to find a recipe that is already specifically designed to be balanced with a lower sugar content.
The equipment section above contains affiliate links to products we use and love. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Scroll down for the step by step photos!
Are you ready to see how fast and easy this is? Check out the whopping two step by step photos!
Recommended Reading: Healthy Easy To Make Recipes
Homemade Bbq Sauce With Ketchup
There are so many different types of homemade BBQ sauce recipes with ketchup out there like North Carolina BBQ sauce, Kansas City BBQ Sauce, Memphis BBQ sauce, just to name a few. Or the store-bought versions like Sweet Baby Rays, Open Pit, Kraft BBQ sauce, and Heinz Barbecue sauce.
All of us have our favorite BBQ sauce. The only thing that I can say is to try a few different recipes that peek youre interest and discover what you really like.
This recipe is extremely easy to make, and it has that peppery spice and mild sweet combination that we all like to enjoy in western Michigan. A ketchup base sauce paired with brown sugar and an assortment of spices.
What is your favorite BBQ sauce? This recipe is so easy to follow, simply mix all the ingredients into a pan and simmer for a several minutes.
When done, baste grilled chicken paired with easy coleslaw, hasselback potato, and corn in the cob for the ultimate summer meal! Its easy to make homemade BBQ sauce with a few ingredients by mixing it all together until smooth.
You will never want to buy it again. All you simply need are some measurements, a pot, and some simmering and you will have the most delicious DIY sauce.