Vegetarian Indian Recipes Vibrant Meals For A Delicious Vegetarian Indian Feast
HurryTheFoodUp is reader-powered. If you click through using links on our site we may earn a small commission at no cost to you.
With this flavourful collection of vegetarian Indian recipes, we want to show you how easy it is to spice up your vegetarian lifestyle with our healthy, tasty recipes.
People often think meatless meals have the risk of being bland and leaving you unfulfilled, but we want to show you just how incredibly tasty vegetarian recipes can be.
Smita Chandras Daikon Curry
Daikona type of large white radish with a peppery, earthy flavorhas long been a staple of Indian cooking. In this simple vegetarian curry dish from cookbook author Smita Chandra, the root is enhanced with an aromatic blend of coriander, cumin, turmeric, and other spices. Get the recipe for Smita Chandras Daikon Curry »
Chicken And Prawn Curry
Crookes & Jackson
This intensely spicy curry from chef Kevin Joseph of Durbans Oyster Box hotel gets its heat not from chiles, but from a pastes of fresh garlic, ginger, onions, and dried curry powder. Though not cooked long, the sauce is rich and thick thanks to heaps of ground spices and unsweetened coconut cream. Get the recipe for Chicken and Prawn Curry »
Recommended Reading: Blue Diamond Almond Milk Smoothie Recipes
Make Veg Biryani Gravy
1 inch cinnamon½ teaspoon shahi jeera
11. Turn on the heat to low and quickly saute ginger garlic until slightly aromatic. Be cautious as this can burn in a flash.
12. Then remove the potatoes from water and add them to the pan. Also add carrots, peas, green chilli and cauliflower. Saute on a medium heat for 3 minutes.
13. Pour ¼ cup water and mix. Cover and cook on a medium heat until the potatoes are fork tender but not mushy. Ensure they are cooked before proceeding to next step, as sometimes yogurt hinders the potatoes from cooking well. At the end of this step you wont be left with any water in the pot.
14. Then add 1 teaspoon red chilli powder, 1½ to 2 teaspoons garam masala, ½ teaspoon salt and turmeric powder. Saute for 2 minutes until fragrant.
15. Reduce the heat completely and then pour 2 tablespoons water. Next add 1 cup whisked yogurt.
Pasta Recipes Veg Pasta Dishes
White sauce pasta is one of the most loved creamy delicious pasta dishes that is made with butter, flour and milk. To perk up the nutrition I have added mixed veggies which can also be skipped. You can also add chicken or prawns to this and skip veggies.
Vegetable pasta in red sauce Simple and quick to make dish on a busy day. It goes very well with some toasted bread or cheese toast. This can also be packed in the kids school box. To make this mixed vegetables are sauteed and then added to freshly prepared pasta sauce.
Red sauce pasta quick and healthy recipe made using all fresh ingredients. Usually red sauce is made by using tinned tomato sauce to get the bright color but this recipe is made from scratch using fresh tomatoes. This is another must try pasta recipe for kids.
Masala pasta recipe One of the popular recipes on the blog, a must try recipe if you love the flavors of Indian cuisine. In this post I have shown how to make fresh pasta sauce at home with an Indian twist i,e spices. It is mildly flavored and can be tweaked to suit your taste.
Broccoli pasta recipe made with broccoli pesto. This recipe is very simple to make and it tastes delicious with a nutty aroma that comes from the roasted peanuts.
Mushroom pasta in homemade tomato sauce. Mushrooms are sauteed in olive oil to bring out the flavors of mushroom, then they are tossed in the freshly prepared tomato pasta sauce.
Recommended Reading: Hot Spinach Dip Knorr Vegetable Soup Mix Recipe
Native American Recipes To Try At Home
When it comes to recipes that aim for authenticity in a historical context, many people believe that you should only use ingredients that were naturally found on the North American continent. This leaves out many tasty dishes that use wheat flour, mutton, or any other foods that were brought over from the old world of Europe.
This collection of Native American recipes uses both to give you more options to try. There’s a lot more to Native American recipes than fry bread , so let’s dive into some of these stellar indigenous dishes!
Unique Native American Recipes
Pemmican With Fruit
This unique indigenous recipe gained popularity as a hearty dish that was easy to carry along on trips. Pemmican is simply a combination of dried meat such as Buffalo or venison, dried berries, and lard or meat fat. Traditional recipes used chokecherries, but more modern recipes can use any type of dried fruit you prefer.
Prickly Pear Cactus Jelly
A unique concoction from the Southwest would taste delicious on fry bread or with other meals. Prickly pear cactus jelly may be a more modern invention with a store-bought packet of fruit pectin and white sugar. But it does harken back to native use of this delicious cactus in various dishes. In the same way you make most jelly, you boil the fruit with the sugar and pectin. Then, you strain it well, and keep it in sterilized jars.
Questions and considerations about the authenticity or traditional methods and flavors in Native American recipes found here and elsewhere will always arise. If you are aware of the types of foods that were native to North America centuries ago, you can better pick meat, vegetable, grain, and fruit dishes that have historical context.
You May Like: Vegan Gluten Free Recipes Breakfast
Top 20 Lunch And Dinner Recipes
1. Veg Biryani there are many varieties of biryani made in India. An authentic veg biryani is always slow cooked on dum. This cooking on dum gives the biriyani its uniqueness and originality. This is how the biryani has the beautiful medley of the aromas, flavors and tastes caused by the blending of the ingredients used in making it. I have shared some popular vegetarian biryani variations and these too have been liked by the readers.
2. Rajma chawal It is one of the regulars at any Punjabi house for lunch or dinner. Mostly its made on weekends and the combo of kidney beans curry with steamed rice is quite famous. This Rajma recipe is a lightly spiced, creamy and a delicious Punjabi curry made with kidney beans, onions, tomatoes and spices. This is my moms recipe of making this famous and truly restaurant style Punjabi Rajma Masala.
3. Bisi bele bath It is a delicious and healthy complete meal of rice, lentils and vegetables. Bisi bele bath is one of the popular recipes from Karnataka cuisine which you can make for dinner or lunch.
4. Chana masala there are many ways chickpeas curries are made in regional Indian cuisine. this chana masala is made with freshly powdered spices, onions, tomatoes, herbs making the chana taste like the ones you get on the streets of Delhi. Chana masala is relished with poori or rice or roti or paratha or Naan or Kulcha.
Traditional Meats In Native American Foods
While many people associate venison or deer meat with historical Native American recipes, people from all across the nation also ate rabbit, buffalo, mutton, pork, both saltwater and freshwater fish, and a variety of shellfish. Of course, northern Canadian and Alaskan natives also ate seal and whale meat.
Today, you are unlikely to feast on whale blubber or grind your own corn with a stone mortar and pestle. Instead, try out these traditional or culturally inspired Native American recipes in the comfort of your own home.
Recommended Reading: Keto Friendly Recipes For Dinner
Cook Okra The Right Way
Okra has a naturally occurring slimy substance known as mucilage. It is made up of protein, carbohydrates & soluble fiber that makes this vegetable a healthy one. This slimy substance can actually ruin any dish if okra is not prepared and cooked properly.
As with any other okra dish, this bhindi masala has to be cooked the right way to avoid gooey, sticky and slimy texture in the dish. So how do we do that?
The first step is to wipe dry the whole okra very well so it has no traces of moisture or water on it. Then we chop to moderately sized pieces. Next simply stir fry the chopped veggie in oil until the sticky substance breaks down and vanishes.
Once this essential step is followed right, you have bhindi that has almost no slime in it. It is at this stage the veggie is to added to a flavorful onion tomato masala and simmered so it absorbs all of the flavors.
Also avoid adding salt to the okra until the slime has gone completely & it has cooked through. In this recipe we add it to the onion tomato masala and not to the bhindi.
So bhindi masala is cooked much the same way like any other veggie except for sautéing the bhindi first.
More Bhindi recipes
How To Make Dum Vegetable Biryani
16. Mix well and cook covered on a low heat for 4 minutes. Then add ¾ of the fried onions and 2 tablespoons each of mint & coriander leaves. Turn off the heat. Taste test your gravy and add more salt if needed. On another burner, begin to heat a griddle or a pan on a medium heat for dum process. Avoid using nonstick.
17. Meanwhile layer the hot rice over the curry. Pour the rose & saffron infused milk. Sprinkle the rest of mint leaves, fried onions, raisins and nuts. Reserve half of the nuts and raisins for garnish while serving.
18. Seal the pot with aluminum foil and press down to the sides of the hot pot carefully so the edges stick to the pot, ensuring no steam escapes. Alternately use a thick moist cloth . Place a heavy lid on the pot so the steam does not escape.
19. Transfer this to the hot griddle and cook for 22 minutes on a low heat. You can also cook this over direct flame for 12 minutes at the lowest heat. Once done remove the pot from heat and let it rest for at least 20 minutes.
Alternately bake it in a preheated oven at 350 F for 20 minutes. Later rest it in the oven itself for another 15 to 20 minutes.
Serve vegetable biryani with a flat serving spoon, from the bottom of the pot such that every serving gets a portion of the curry and rice.
What to serve with veg biryani
Shorba, Mirchi ka salan, Raita and papads make some of the best sides.
Don’t Miss: Keto Diet Menus And Recipes
Fresh And Easy Fish Dinners For A Lighter Meal
While salmon recipes often get the spotlight, lets not forget about other fish and seafood options. Think flakey baked cod, juicy scallops, and of course those tasty little shrimp.
- Baked Cod: this easy, fool proof method guarantees perfectly flaky fish thats baked in the best garlic butter herb topping.
- Scallops With Citrus Ginger Sauce: yep, these scallops only take 10 minutes to make with the best citrus, gingery sauce to compliment it.
- Dijon Baked Salmon: slather a delicious dijon herb spread onto a salmon fillet, bake for 20 minutes the easiest salmon dinner, done!
- Garlic Grilled Shrimp Skewers: after soaking in an herby, garlicky marinade, these grilled shrimps taste amazing with just about anything.
- Orange Glazed Salmon: coated in the best citrusy sweet glaze, these salmon fillets are guaranteed to be a weeknight favorite.
- Best Baked Salmon: this recipe takes just 15 minutes to make! Its the easiest salmon recipe with lemon garlic butter and herbs.
Indian Cuisine Is Rich In Variety
They say variety is the spice of life. That probably came from the Indian cuisine playbook. From different flavors to different smells to different looks, Indian cuisine is so full of variety theres always something to look forward to with every meal. Yes, that includes simple Indian dinner recipes.
You May Like: Best Plant Based Recipe Book For Beginners
Traditional Indian Dinner Recipes
13. Aloo Paratha are the most popular stuffed North Indian flatbreads. These have a spiced potato filling and are super delicious. I have shared 3 easy ways to roll them perfectly. No matter even if you are a beginner you will easily make them.
14. Sambar is a popular south Indian lentil soup made with mixed veggies, spices and herbs. This is eaten with rice, idli, dosa, ven pongal or even with vada. Each state has their own way of making sambar. I have shared my moms own best sambar recipe which is a rough adaptation from Karnataka and Andhra cuisines.
15. Rasam is another comforting soup made with spices and herbs. We usually eat rasam along with rice and veggie stir fry on the side. Rasam is very light on the tummy & makes you feel hungry very quickly. So fill up your meal with lots of veggies.
This post shares instant rasam recipe which tastes very close to the one served in south Indian restaurant meals /thali. You can also check this Andhra style Tomato rasam.
16. Dal makhani is another most popular restaurant dish made with black lentils, kidney beans, butter and spices. This slow cooked creamy and super flavorful dish is amazingly delicious. Serve it with butter naan.
17. Bhindi masala is a dish made with okra or ladies finger. Okra are stir fried and then simmered with a spicy and flavorful masala. This is one of those homestyle veggie dishes that is healthy and delicious. Serve this with plain rice, chapati or roti.
A Note About Relevant Advertising
We collect information about the content you use across this site and use it to make both advertising and content more relevant to you on our network and other sites. This is also known as Online Behavioural Advertising. You can find out more about our policy and your choices, including how to opt-out here.delicious. may receive an affiliate commission if you buy through our links.Learn more.
You May Like: Pineapple Infused Vodka Recipe Capital Grille
Desserts And Sweet Treats
Simple Berry Pudding
One of the simplest Native American recipes made by various tribes would provide a sweet treat with summer berries or even dried berries during the winter. Easy berry pudding only uses berries, traditionally chokecherries or blueberries were used, flour, water, and sugar. When this mixture is boiled together in the correct way, the result is a delicious dessert with an indigenous flare.
Sweet Cornmeal Pudding
This sweet pudding blends milk, molasses, sugar, butter, and cinnamon together to make a hearty and absolutely delicious dessert. While this recipe suggests adding a bit of rum, that is not necessary if you prefer a non-alcoholic treat.
Indian Food Recipes From Blue Osas Very Own Chef Marie:
Looking for something made with extra love? The mama of Blue Osa, Chef Marie, has crafted the following Indian cuisine is continually put on foodie lists all over the world and no wonder, with the variety of flavors and regions, Indian food is vastly diverse, and not to mention delicious! with care.
Don’t Miss: Recipes For College Students In Apartments
About Veg Biryani Recipe
This easy recipe is a one stop solution to your biryani cravings as it shows you how to make super delicious vegetable biryani easily in 2 different methods one pot method and dum phukt method.
One pot method is great for those busy weeknights where you temper the spices, saute the veggies, dump the rice and water. In one go, a delicious and quick veg biryani is ready! You can make this in a pot, stovetop pressure cooker or an instant pot.
Dum cooked veg biryani is a special dish which I make mostly on the weekends or for celebrations as it takes time. Both these methods require the same amount of preparation time. But the cook time changes considerably for the dum biryani, as we make the fried onions and slow cook the dish to infuse the flavors.
Both the biryanis turn out good in their own way but time is the key factor for most of us. So the choice is yours! Go ahead with the method you are comfortable with. But I dont make the dum biryani on a weekday when we have busy work and kids school schedules. So reserve it for leisure days.
There are various notions that a biryani should always have meat in it and it has to be dum cooked. A lot of people like me prefer to make a veg biryani in one pot method because the entire process of dum makes sense to slow cook meats so the flavors are infused into the rice.
But still a vegetable dum biryani is classic! The king of all vegetarian biryanis in terms of flavors and taste.
More similar biryani recipes
Air Frying Bhindi Perfectly
The entire task of sautéing becomes easier in the air fryer. But doing it right is a bit tricky. I spread the chopped bhindi in the basket and air fry them at 320 F or 160 C for 4 to 5 minutes. But make sure you dont chop them too small as they will become lifeless and dry after air frying.
If they are too young and fresh they take a little longer. If they are not too fresh then it takes only 3 minutes. But again I would suggest you eat some of the air fried bhindi first to make sure they are not slimy. Then add them to the onion tomato masala.
Read Also: Lipton Beefy Onion Dip Recipe