Invest In A Bag Of Buckwheat Flour
Silken tofu is the secret in these fluffy, vegan, American-style pancakes, and its the use of buckwheat flour which keeps them gluten-free, as well as adding a pleasantly nutty flavour. It might sound strange to use tofu in a sweet recipe but, once its been blended into a thick, smooth batter, youll hardly notice it.
Serve with toasted nuts, fruit and a good drizzle of syrup for a protein-packed Pancake Day.
How To Make Almond Flour Pancake Mix
To make an almond flour pancake mix based on this recipe, simply change the servings on the recipe card below to 16. Combine all the dry ingredients and store in an airtight container in the pantry for up to 1 year .
When you are ready to make your keto almond flour pancakes using the mix, this is the ratio for 2 servings:
- 1/2 cup + 1 tablespoon dry almond flour pancake mix
- 2 1/2 tablespoons almond milk
- 1 tablespoon avocado oil
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
You can multiply that out by as many servings as you want! Two servings is the minimum, because for one youd need 1/2 an egg, which is hard to measure.
Whats The Difference Between Almond Flour And Almond Meal
Almond flour and almond meal are not the same.
In a nutshell , almond flour is made from blanched almonds with the skins removed, and is ground more finely than almond meal.
Almond meal is also made from ground almonds, but it still contains the skins and is typically ground more coarsely than almond flour.
I dont recommend using almond meal in this recipe because it will adversely affect the texture of these almond flour pancakes.
Don’t Miss: Acv Drink Recipe For Weight Loss
Frequently Asked Questions For Almond Flour Pancakes
How many calories in almond flour pancakes?
The quantity used in this recipe makes 5 pancakes. Each pancake has 199 calories, 16g fat, 2g saturated fat, 7g net carbs and 8g protein. These pancakes are fine as long as they’re had in moderation.
Can I use almond flour instead of all purpose flour?
While you can certainly substitute almond flour for all purpose flour following a 1:1 ratio, the recipe will require more eggs or baking agents to produce comparable results.
What is the healthiest flour for pancakes?
In general whole-grain flours like whole-wheat or buckwheat flour are good since they have added fiber and nutrients as compared to all purpose flour. Oat flour is also good choice for gluten-free pancakes. Coconut flour and almond flour are good low-carb and gluten-free flours for pancakes.
Does almond flour burn easily?
Since almond flour contains more oils, it can burn faster than regular flour. Which is why it is best to cook almond flour batter on medium-low to medium heat.
What Is Almond Flour
Almond flour is not really flour. Its just finely ground almonds. Almond flour generally can not be substituted for all-purpose or other types of flours.
Although you can make your own almond flour , commercially produced almond flour is generally a finer consistency and perfect for cooking and baking.
Difference between almond flour and almond meal? Almond meal is generally coarser and not a good fit for baking or something like these pancakes. Almond meal is generally also ground with the almond skins still on, unlike almond flour.
Read Also: Nature’s Recipe Salmon Sweet Potato And Pumpkin
Ingredients For Almond Flour Pancakes:
Almond Flour: When combined with the proper amount of eggs and liquid, almond flour or makes for incredibly lovely pancakes, muffins, cookies, brownies, and more! It yields a light and fluffy texture that closely mimics regular flour.
Almond flour is a good source of fiber, and contains healthy fats and some protein. It is naturally sweet, which makes it a great ingredient for those who have a sweet tooth but dont want to use a lot of added sweetener.
Tapioca Flour : A starchy ingredient, tapioca flour helps bind recipes together, generate some fluff and further aids in making a recipe seem like its made with regular all-purpose flour. While the tapioca flour in this recipe isnt mandatory, I certainly recommend it, as it results in the best, fluffiest pancakes!
You can replace tapioca flour with arrowroot flour in a 1:1 replacement in most cases .
Eggs: Eggs help fluff up the pancakes to blissful texture and allows them to stay nicely held together. If you cant do eggs, try my Paleo Vegan Pancakes, which use flax eggs. They require some patience, but they are your best bet for making grain-free and egg-free pancakes.
Unsweetened Almond Milk: In order to combine everything together, we need some liquid. I use unsweetened almond milk for a dairy-free version but you can use whole milk if you do dairy. I also love using canned full-fat coconut milk because it makes the pancakes taste so incredibly rich and luscious.
How To Make The Best Fluffy Paleo Pancakes
The recipes calls for two different flours and I highly recommend using both of them, almond flour and tapioca flour. The almond flour is the base of the recipe, giving it that hearty pancake taste, while the tapioca flour is what gives the pancakes the fluffy and light texture.
Mix those two flours together in a bowl and add in baking powder, cinnamon, and salt. Gently stir to combine these and set them off to the side.
In a small bowl, youll want to crack your egg and whisk it good. For milk, you can use either coconut milk or almond milk. I prefer coconut milk because the extra fat in it really gives the pancakes a delicious and hearty flavor.
If youre going to use coconut milk, use a can!! Shake the can up before measuring so you can use both the liquid part and the hard cream part that settles at the top. If they are still separated when you open the can, just mix it up with a spoon so you have a thick white liquid.
If youre using almond milk, you will need slightly less milk!
Add the wet ingredients to the dry and stir to combine, batter will be fairly thick and that is perfect.
Heat a pan over medium heat on the stove and add in coconut oil or butter to prevent sticking. I used a measuring cup to scoop the pancake batter and the back of a spoon to spread it since it is pretty thick.
Let cook until starts to bubble or if you lift it up and see that it is getting golden brown, then flip and let cook on the other side.
Read Also: Quick And Easy Baked Zucchini Recipes
Tips For The Best Almond Flour Pancakes
Now that you know how to make almond flour pancakes keto, use these tips for success.
- Use the right almond flour.Wholesome Yum brand has the finest consistency, so your almond pancakes will have the best texture.
- Check the batter consistency. It should be like a typical pancake batter . If its too thick, add more milk as needed.
- Dont use too much oil when frying. If you want an evenly browned surface as shown in my pictures, its best to oil the pan, then wipe with a paper towel, so only a thin layer remains.
- Cover when cooking the first side. This is different from white flour pancake recipes. To make the almond flour pancakes easier to flip, cover with a lid after adding the batter to the pan, then flip and cook uncovered on the other side.
Mix Things Up And Use Rice For Your Batter
Indian dosa are rice pancakes made from a fermented batter. They take a little effort, but are delicious served with aloo masala and other fillings. Once cooked, the flavoursome batter becomes a thin, crispy pancake thats broken into shards and used to scoop up the spicy vegetables.
We have a wide selection of Indian recipes, including healthy Indian and vegetarian Indian dishes. Try our paneer pakora and fiery Bombay potatoes.
Read Also: Easy To Make Keto Recipes
Can You Make Pancakes With Almond Flour
Yes! Almond flour is a great alternative to white flour, both for flavor and nutrition. Almond flour comes packed with a number of vitamins, minerals, protein, and fiber. Almonds are also high in unsaturated fat, which is the good kind. This higher fat content means we do not need to add as much fat to the batter.But since almond flour is gluten-free, it needs more eggs to bind the batter. I tried making this recipe with no eggs and the pancakes simply fell apart. The eggs are necessary to hold the batter together, giving you protein-packed and fluffy almond flour pancakes every time.
Live in an area where almond flour is not available or you ran out of it? If so, check out my comprehensive guide to How to Make Almond Flour at Home.
Almond Flour Keto Pancakes
This keto pancake recipe will make you fall in love with breakfast again. Theyre light and fluffy, with the perfect golden brown exterior. And they have only 3.5g net carbs per serving! Best of all, these they are so easy to make, you can whip them up before the rest of the family is even awake!
I have a bit of a thing for keto pancakes. Have you noticed?I have any number of recipes. Ive got coconut flour pancakes and keto pumpkin pancakes. I even have a recipe for keto banana pancakes.But these easy almond flour pancakes are my familys favorite. We make them almost every weekend. They are so simple to make and they have that classic pancake flavor. The batter makes great keto waffles too!
Recommended Reading: Easy Whole Food Plant Based Recipes
Almond Flour Pancake Variations
Almond-Blueberry Pancakes. Spoon batter onto the griddle as directed. Place fresh or frozen blueberries onto each pancake. This ensures each pancake contains as many blueberries as you like. If youâre not comfortable placing blueberries onto the pancakes while in the pan, stir about 1/2 cup of fresh or frozen blueberries into the batter.
Almond-Chocolate Chip Pancakes. Spoon batter onto griddle as directed. Sprinkle each pancake with chocolate chips. Cook pancakes as directed.
Almond-Lemon Pancakes. The flavor of almond and lemon are fantastic. Stir in the zest of one lemon or 1/2 teaspoon lemon extract into the batter along with the eggs, milk, and vanilla extract. Cook pancakes as directed.
Almond Flour Pancakes Ingredients
- Almond Flour Id suggest using store-bought almond flour such as Honeyville, Bobs Red Mill, or even Kirkland . Do not substitute all-purpose, coconut flour, or any other flour substitute.
- Coconut Milk I used unsweetened coconut milk but you could also try buttermilk, milk, or your favorite milk substitute such as almond milk or soy milk. You could also try using softened cream cheese, yogurt, ricotta cheese, or cottage cheese for some of the milk .
- Eggs Large eggs. If you cant have eggs, you can try an egg substitute such as flax and water for an eggless version. I havent tried it but others have had good luck with it.
- Coconut Oil Liquid coconut oil or melted, or you could also use melted butter or vegetable oil.
- Maple Syrup Or you can use sugar, honey, or your favorite sugar substitute. Or you can omit altogether for a lower carb pancake.
- Vanilla Extract A little vanilla extract is great in these pancakes or use your favorite extract.
- Orange Juice You need something acidic for the baking soda but you could substitute apple cider vinegar or lemon juice.
Also Check: Whey Protein Shake Recipes For Muscle Gain
Ingredients Notes & Substitutions
It only takes seven simple ingredients to put these pancakes together, and chances are that you already have them. Let’s take a look:
- Almond Flour: Finely ground almond flour made from blanched almonds is mostly my first choice. If using Almond meal, I make sure to use finely ground flour. If your almond meal is coarse, you can give it a quick grind in your blender to make it fine.
- Eggs: Two large eggs bind the batter and make these pancakes fluffy. For best results, use room temperature eggs. Egg substitute is mentioned below.
- Milk: I use 2% milk as that’s what I have on hand. You can also use almond milk, which keeps these pancakes low-carb.
- Baking Powder: An essential ingredient that helps these pancakes rise.
- Maple Syrup: Adds a touch of sweetness. Skip it if making a low-carb version or substitute with a sugar-free syrup.
- Olive oil: Adding just a little bit of oil makes the batter easy to work with and helps the pancakes set well.
- Salt: A pinch of salt balances the sweet from the maple syrup. But it is optional, so suit your personal preference. Please note: skip it altogether if skipping the maple syrup.
Egg Substitute: To replace 1 large egg, mix 1 tablespoon of flaxmeal with 3 tablespoons of water. Let the mixture sit till it thickens and becomes gelatinous. Alternatively, use ¼ cup of unsweetened applesauce.
Tips For Preparing Paleo Pancakes:
Because these pancakes are grain-free and are made from a nut meal, the flavor and texture are both slightly nutty. They arent quite as soft as regular pancakes made with all-purpose flour.
While the tapioca flour is not mandatory, it is very helpful especially when you are having trouble getting the pancakes to flip without breaking, Id recommend adding tapioca flour because it helps in keeping the pancakes held together nicely.
Tapioca flour is still considered paleo-friendly, so if you follow a grain-free, paleo or primal diet, it doesnt pose a problem.
For a keto almond flour pancakes, stick with all almond flour only, as tapioca flour has a decent amount of carbohydrate.
You May Like: Fiesta Ranch Dip Mix Recipe
Almond Flour Is Not Almond Meal
One thing to keep in mind when cooking with almond flour is that its not exactly the same as almond meal. While both are made from almonds, the flour is lighter and fluffier. To make almond flour, the almonds are first blanched and peeled, then ground finely.
On the other hand, almond meal is usually made from raw almonds with the skins left on. Plus, its not ground as finely. The result is a slightly coarser meal, similar to cornmeal, flecked with tiny bits of almond skin.
Why You Will Love This Recipe
- No empty calories: Just wholesome ingredients like almonds, unrefined sweeteners, eggs, and milk of your choice.
- Gluten free: As well as grain-free and optionally dairy-free, paleo, and keto pancakes with almond flour.
- Highly nutritious: Packed with protein, healthy fats, fiber, and several vitamins and minerals.
- Light and fluffy: Almond flour is a fantastic flour alternative for providing wonderful texture and moisture.
- Quick and simple: Just 6 basic ingredients, 2 steps to prepare, ready in under 15 minutes, in one bowl.
- Freezer friendly: Make a double batch. One for now and freeze one for later.
Also Check: Recipe For Acv Weight Loss
Why Are There Light And Dark Spots On My Pancakes
If youâve ever made pancakes and they turned out âspottyâ, youâre not alone. The cause of this is usually oil on the griddle. If there are tiny pools of oil on the pan, they keep heat from transferring from the pan to the batter, resulting in light spots. To prevent spotty pancakes: grease your griddle and then wipe it with a paper towel to remove any puddles of oil.
How To Make This Recipe
Preheat a non-stick skillet to medium-high heat.
Combine all dry ingredients. In a mixing bowl, add all the dry ingredients and whisk until combined.
Add the wet ingredients. Stir the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients, mixing them until everything is incorporated well. I recommend adding the milk a little at a time until the pancake batter has reached the desired consistency.
Grease the pan. Lightly grease your preheated pan with either butter or oil.
Cook the pancakes. Carefully pour the pancake batter onto the griddle and allow the pancakes to cook for 4-5 minutes per side. The pancakes will be fragile, and you must allow them to cook thoroughly on the first side before attempting to flip. If you dont let them cook through, they will fall apart.
Re-grease the griddle between each serving of pancakes being made.
Serve and enjoy! Top these pancakes with all of your favorite toppings! Check out our favorite way to serve these low-carb pancakes below.
Don’t Miss: Eat Sleep Burn Tea Recipe Free
How To Make Pancakes With Almond Flour:
Add all of the ingredients for the pancakes to your blender and blend just until the batter is smooth. .
Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-low heat and add a generous amount of coconut oil to fully coat the surface.
Measure out a scant ¼ cup of batter and pour it on the hot skillet. Allow the batter to cook a couple of minutes, until you can tell the pancakes are setting up.
Carefully flip the pancakes and cook them on the other side for another minute or two, until theyre cooked through. Repeat this process for the remaining batter.
This recipe turns out with such amazing texture, even pancake aficionados wont be able to tell theyre grain-free.
Store any leftover pancakes in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
Try A Vegan Recipe For A Naturally Egg
You cant go wrong with a stack of banana pancakes and these vegan pancakes are no exception. A guaranteed crowd-pleaser, with a texture thats light and fluffy, youd never know theyre dairy- and egg-free. To serve, drizzle generously with maple syrup and top with sliced bananas or berries.
Check out our vegan brunch recipes, including vegan waffles and French toast. Plus, have a look at our healthy banana recipes.
You May Like: Maker’s Mark Recipe Ingredients