Saut Sausage And Veggies
When the olive oil is fragrant, add the chopped andouille sausage to the pan and cook until browned on one side, which will be about 2-3 minutes, and then remove the sausage from the pan.
Add the second tablespoon of olive oil to the dutch oven and then add the onion and salt. Use a spatula to scrape any browned bits from the andouille sausage from the bottom of the pot.
Sauté the onion for 3-4 minutes and then add the garlic and green pepper, and sauté for an additional 4-5 minutes.
How To Make Red Beans And Rice:
- Soak beans overnight: Add beans to a large bowl, pour in enough water to cover beans by 2-inches. Let soak at least 8 hours or overnight, then drain.
- Brown sausage, set aside: Heat oil in a large pot over medium-high heat. Add sausage and cook, tossing occasionally, until slightly browned, about 5 minutes. Transfer to a plate lined with paper towels, leave rendered fat in pan .
- Saute veggies: Add onion, celery and bell pepper, saute 3 minutes.
- Add seasonings and continue to saute: Add garlic, chili powder, cumin and paprika, saute 1 minute longer.
- Add liquid, dried herbs, beans and return sausage: Pour in chicken broth, 1 1/2 cups water, drained beans, oregano, thyme, cayenne pepper and return sausage to pot. Season with salt to taste.
- Simmer mixture: Bring mixture to a light boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer until beans are tender, stirring occasionally, about 1 1/2 2 hours.
- Add greens, serve with rice: Stir in parsley and green onions. Serve mixture warm with prepared rice.
Best Red Beans And Rice Recipe
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
Hands down, the best Red Beans and Rice Recipe! Its rich, hearty and so flavorful! The beans are perfectly tender, served with rice and smoky sausage. Its a comforting meal in a bowl, thats bound to please!
The smoky flavors and satisfying textures will have you coming back for more than one bowl of red beans and rice. This is perfectly hearty Louisiana style comfort food at its best! Red beans and smoked sausage are cooked low and slow with flavorful spices, then served with fresh cooked rice to create a homestyle dinner recipe youll want again and again!
Don’t Miss: Progresso Chicken And Wild Rice Soup Recipe
Top Tips For Red Beans And Rice
- Avoid canned red beans. Thats not authentic red beans and rice. Theyd end up way overcooked with this method anyway.
- Adjust spice level to taste. Some sausage is spicy , you can replace with another mild sausage if preferred and cut back on hot sauce.
- Allow time to simmer. Beans wont be cooked through if you dont allow enough time for simmering and liquid wont reduce down.
- Let sausage brown. With just about any dish browning the meat really adds so much flavor. Dont toss the sausage constantly, let it rest a bit between tossing so it can brown. For maximum browning you can even brown in two batches.
What Goes With Red Beans And Rice
A classic comfort food meal like this one calls for some fool-proof side dishes to go with it. Here are some of my favorite things to serve with red beans and rice.
- Green Beans: Another comforting dish, this Green Beans and Mushrooms in Cream Sauce is full of yummy veggies, and it would go perfectly alongside hearty red beans and rice.
- Sweet Potato Wedges: These sweet potato wedges are good for you, and the taste is out of this world! I think sweet potato is a perfect side for any comfort-food entree, and the delicious texture of my Crispy Sweet Potato Wedges is a nice contrast to the casserole-like beans and rice.
- Puff Pastries: These easy and beautiful Raspberry Jam Puff Pastry desserts pair nicely with spicy dishes, thanks to the refreshing raspberry flavor and delicately-textured crust.
Read Also: Keto Diet For Type 1 Diabetes Recipes
Origin And History Of Red Beans And Rice:
More Creole than Cajun, Red beans and rice has been a Monday tradition in Louisiana since the 19th Century. It was common for families to have ham for Sunday dinner and red beans and rice extended the hams value into the week by using up leftovers along with the ham bone for added flavor.
Back then, Monday was customarily laundry day in New Orleans. Doing the laundry was no easy task and took all day so a pot of red beans with the leftover ham and ham bone could simmer away while the women did the laundry.
Is Red Beans And Rice Supposed To Be Soupy
To some extent, yes! In my family we lovingly refer to this as bean gravy as described in this Tejano Pinto Beans recipe.
The bean gravy should be nice and thick.
Hopefully you can tell from the photos that red beans do NOT have the texture of refried beans. They are not completely mashed. Most of the beans should retain their shape and be swimming in a delectable pool of bean gravy, the better to soak into your rice.
Read Also: Hellmann’s Parmesan Chicken Recipe
Angela’s Tips & Recipe Notes
- To help thicken the red beans and rice to your desired consistency, you can mash some of the red beans before adding them to the pot.
- You can even use smoked turkey necks or smoked ham hocks instead of andouille sausage if desired.
- Storing: To prevent leftovers from going mushy, it is best to refrigerate the rice and red beans separately. Refrigerate each in their own airtight container for up to a week, or freeze in freezer bags for up to 3 months.
Can You Freeze Red Beans And Rice
If youre planning to freeze red beans and rice, we recommend cooking it completely first, and then freezing it.
Let your red beans and rice recipe cool completely. Then, transfer into a freezer-safe container and remove as much air as possible. Freeze for up to 3 months.
To thaw & reheat: let red beans and rice thaw in the fridge for 4 hours or overnight. Then, bake red beans and rice covered at 350ºF 2-30 minutes or until warm in the middle.
Red beans and rice can also be easily reheated on the stovetop by adding a bit of broth and sautéing over medium heat until warm.
More of our Favorite
Also Check: Best At Home Smoothie Recipe
Easy Red Beans And Rice Recipe
This Red Beans and Rice Recipe is made with smoked sausage, red kidney beans, and vegetables like onion, celery, and green bell pepper. Ready in about an hour, this quick and easy version of classic Creole red beans and rice is perfect for busy weeknight dinners and makes delicious leftovers.
Cajun food will forever be one of my favorite cuisines to cook and eat! From classic recipes like jambalaya, gumbo, and shrimp etouffee to more creative fusions like this spicy Cajun sausage and chicken skillet or this creamy Cajun shrimp pasta.
Today Im sharing how to make red beans and rice.
Red beans and rice is a symbolic dish of Louisiana Creole cuisine. Made on Mondays, it is traditionally made using the leftover pork bones from Sundays dinner. It would include red beans, vegetables like bell pepper, onion, and celery, and spices including thyme, cayenne pepper, and bay leaf. Sometimes other meats such as ham and andouille or Chorizo sausage would also be added.
Unlike traditional versions of this classic recipe, this recipe uses canned red beans in place of dried kidney beans. Easy enough to make during the week, youll find that this accelerated version takes just about an hour to make.
Why Youll Love This Recipe
- ONE-POT BEAUTY. I love myself a one-pot, one-pan recipe so very much. This entire red beans and rice extravaganza comes together in one vessel. Well, that is if youre not counting the pot, youll use to cook your rice, ha! Seriously speaking, the red beans pot is the heart of this recipe and everything whips up in it. I use a classic dutch oven for my red beans, always.
- SO EASY TO MAKE. As I mentioned earlier, red beans and rice is a dish that requires minimal work. From start to finish, its straightforward without any headaches. Once everything is prepped, its easy + breezy, baby!
- FLAVOR ON FLAVOR. My favorite thing about this recipe. Listen, this red beans and rice recipe is a low-effort/high-reward stunner. The flavors meld so well after simmering. Classic stew ingredients, hearty smoked meat, buttery + tender beans, all swimming in a rich, soup-like stew, gahhh.
- PERFECT FOR A CROWD. House full of your people or maybe wanna feed a crowd? This recipe checks that box. A pot of this red beans and rice will feed plenty! If not feeding many, its also great as leftovers .
You May Like: Best Sugar Cookie Recipe For Decorating
Make Your Red Beans Vegetarian
Its super easy to make this recipe vegetarian or vegan. Just skip the sausage and use vegetable broth in place of the chicken broth. To make up for the richness of the pork fat that comes from the sausage, use coconut oil in place of the cooking oil listed below, and consider adding a couple extra tablespoons. This will make your red beans super rich and delicious! Heres a link to my Vegan Red Beans made from dry beans.
The equipment section above contains affiliate links to products we use and love. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
More Bean Recipes You Are Going To Love
- Traditional Tejano Pinto Beans < < this recipe is from my brother-in-laws grandma. Its one of my favorite recipes on my blog!
- Cowboy Pinto Bean Soup < < fill the slow cooker with pinto beans, roasted chiles, tomatoes, and, wait for itBACON.
- Bacon Baked Beans< < these are so good to bring to barbecues.
You May Like: Hidden Valley Ranch Potato Salad Recipe
What Happens If You Dont Soak Beans Before Cooking
Nothing at all. You do NOT need to soak the dry beans overnight. Seriously. I cant tell you how many recipes call for this unnecessary step. Now, it is true for some people that you can reduce some of the, ahem, intestinal effects of beans by soaking for a few hours and discarding the water . But it is absolutely not necessary and in my opinion a huge waste of time.
Easy Red Beans & Rice
Heres a quick and easy recipe thats sure to pleaseespecially if youre a fan of creole comfort food! This easy red beans and rice dish requires minimal ingredients and prep time and takes a total of 20 minutes start to finish. Tastes amazing, too!
1 package of smoked sausage, sliced2 tbsp. olive oil2 cans of Rotel3 & 1/2 cups chicken broth2 tsp. Creole seasoning 1 & 1/2 cups cooked rice1 can light red kidney beans, rinsed & drained1 can dark red kidney beans, rinsed & drained
1 package smoked sausage, sliced
2 TBSP olive oil
2 cans Rotel, original or mild
2 tsp. creole seasoning
1.5 C. cooked riced
1 can light red kidney beans, rinsed and drained
1 can dark red kidney beans, rinsed and drained
Read Also: Recipes Using Cheerios And Peanut Butter
Are Red Beans And Kidney Beans The Same Thing
- So what do we mean by red beans? Well, they arent quite the same as kidney beans. Red beans are smaller, and they have a reddish pink color, while kidney beans are larger and more of a reddish brown. Both will work fine in this recipe, but kidney beans tend to have a thicker outer skin than red beans, so some cooks prefer not to use them.
Cajun Red Beans And Rice
Enjoy a bit of true southern comfort with this hearty red beans and rice dish made with typical flavors like Cajun seasoning, green pepper, onion, beans and hot sauce for a kick. You dont have to be a chef to make great tasting meals, with Minute® Rice anyone can make something tasty in no time!
For another simple Cajun dinner recipe try this Shrimp Boil Riceto add to your table.
Don’t Miss: Recipe App For Dietary Restrictions
Red Beans And Rice With Sausage
To turn this dish into a quick meal with added meat, add 2 cups of diced ham or cooked sausage at the same time as the broth. Or, at the end top with cooked and sliced bacon strips or smoked Andouille sausage.
Or, try another one of our favorite southernEasy Red Beans and Rice Recipes made with turkey sausage, kidney beans, white rice, tomatoes, chili powder and a bit of cheese.
How To Soak Beans: Two Ways
There are methods to get those beans nice and right for red beans and rice!
- Cold soak : In a large bowl, cover the beans with cold water and let them soak overnight on the counter. Thats it, after soaking, simply drain them and set aside until called for in the recipe card, below.
- Fast soak : Bring about 6-7 cups of water to a boil in a large pot. Then add in the beans and remove the pot from heat. Let the beans soak in the hot water for 30 minutes to 1 hour. Afterwards, simply drain the beans and set aside until called for in the recipe card, below.
*I almost always soak my red beans overnight that way theyre ready to go on the next day when I plan to make my red beans and rice. However, the fast soak is a last-minute effort for the ones that forgot to long-soak their beans, ha!
You May Like: S Mores Muddy Buddies Recipe
How To Make Red Beans And Rice
1. Brown the sausage: I highly recommend searing the sausage before cooking any of the veggies. The reason? Flavor! Afterward, use the leftover fat in the pot to cook your delicious vegetables and really pump up the flavor.
2. Sauté the holy trinity and toast the spices:This holy trinity is the backbone of Cajun and Creole cooking. It is made with equal parts onion, celery, and green bell pepper. Some variations may include garlic, parsley, or shallots. In this recipe, youll cook these vegetables for about 8-10 minutes before adding the minced garlic, Cajun seasoning, cayenne pepper, thyme, salt, and black pepper.
3. Add the beans and broth:Stir in the drained red beans, bay leaves, and broth . You may use any variation of broth you like including chicken, beef, vegetable, or even bone broth.
4. Simmer:Bring everything to a boil, then reduce to low heat and simmer for about 15 minutes.
5. Cook the rice:Now is the perfect time to prepare and cook rice. Try cooking it on the stovetop or in your Instant Pot.
6. Return the sausage:Return the sausage back to the pot and continue to simmer for 5-10 minutes more. Season with additional salt and pepper, to taste. Now is also a good time to check if you want to add more cayenne pepper to increase the heat level.
Are Red Beans And Rice Spicy
You can make these red beans and rice either spicy or mild, according to your preference. If you prefer mild, make sure the sausage you get is not spicy and skip the cayenne pepper in the spices listed below. If you want your red beans to be spicy, use a spicy sausage and increase the cayenne pepper to your liking.
Read Also: Best Flavored Vodka Martini Recipes
Instant Pot Red Beans And Rice
This recipe can also be made in an Instant Pot if desired. Just make sure to start with the sauté function in Step 1 and switch to cooking mode for only a few minutes when the broth and other ingredients are added in Step 2.
An Instant Pot can also come in handy if you choose to make your own beans using the dried variety.
Do I Have To Soak The Red Beans Overnight
Yeahif you are working with dry beans, and you want the best results, with nice, tender, flavorful beans, planning ahead and soaking them for about 8 hours is really helpful. If you need to shortcut that time, the Instant Pot is going to be your friend. But make sure you soak them and drain the water because you do not want them to end up being toxic!
You May Like: Pineapple Infused Vodka Recipe Capital Grille
Can This Be Made In The Instant Pot
Yes! If you plan to use dried beans and are short on time you can make these easy red beans and rice in less than 45 minutes in the instant pot! Simply saute veggies and sausage as directed on the SAUTE option on the instant pot. Then add in the spices, broth and beans and cook on MANUAL heat for 30-35 minutes. Naturally allow the pressure to release than serve immediately and enjoy!
Tip For Red Beans And Rice Recipe Slow Cooker Recipe:
Save even more time by learning how to freeze rice and you can make this meal even easier. I love to grab the rice from the freezer in the morning and when we come home it is all ready to enjoy.
We do this for lots of meals and it helps put together a quick meal. It is so easy and helpful for busy weeknights.
Read Also: Hot Pot Soup Base Recipe