Which Bread Texture Should I Expect
The slices are soft, with a compact, dense crumb. This is a gluten-free, egg-free keto bread, so it will not rise, will not be fluffy or airy because there are no eggs in the eggless keto bread.
It can be slightly moist if you did not weigh the ingredients properly or if you used coarse flour. But this can be fixed by toasting your bread slices! The taste is very similar to a whole-wheat artisan bread with no eggy taste.
Ways To Use Keto Biscuits With Almond Flour
I actually have two ways of making these keto almond flour biscuits: biscuits as shown, and also a larger, flatter version for bread rounds. The ingredients and method are the same both ways.
TIP: You may need to reduce the baking time by a couple of minutes for the flatter ones. Since they are not as thick, they cook a little faster.
The biscuit shape is perfect to have as a side with:
- Main Dishes They go with anything, but I particularly love these keto biscuits with main meals that have a sauce to soak up, such as Big Mac casserole, garlic butter scallops, keto salisbury steak, or creamy lemon parmesan chicken.
Alternatively, you can make the larger, flatter version of these almond flour biscuits to use as a bun for a juicy burger or in place of low carb bread for any sandwich. They are also great for my keto breakfast sandwich recipe, if you want to swap the pancake layers with biscuits.
Low Carb Yeast Bread Recipe
- 4 teaspoons Vital Wheat Gluten
- 2 cups egg whites
- ¼ cup water, warmed to 90-110
- 2 teaspoons yeast
- 1½ teaspoons baking powder
- 1½ teaspoons baking soda
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- ¼ teaspoon salt
Read Also: Jordan’s Skinny Syrups Keto Recipes
How To Make It
It really is easy to make and bake your own low carb bread at home. Here is all you need to do. I have included a low carb Thermomix bread recipe / method for all our Thermomix users. It is super easy this way and of course, can be replicated in any food processor as well.
- Mix the yeast with the inulin and water in a large bowl or 2 cup measuring jug. Cover it and leave it in a warm place for 15-20 minutes until it activates. You will know it is activated by a thick foam on the surface of the water. The foam can almost double the volume in the jug.
- Combine all the ingredients into a mixer with a dough hook, food processor or Thermomix and mix until the dough comes together.
- Turn the dough out onto a clean bench or silicone mat and knead for 5 minutes or until the dough is soft supple and no longer sticky.
- Press the dough into a large rectangle the same width as your loaf pan. Roll the dough over to form a log and place the dough seam side down into the loaf pan. Cover with a silicone mat or kitchen towel and leave in a warm place for 1 hour or until the dough has doubled in size.
- Bake for 45 minutes. Remove bread from baking pan immediately and allow to cool on a wire rack before slicing.
Low Carb Bread Recipe
Bread is one of the most loved and missed foods by low carbers / ketoers. Before going low carb I wasn’t much of a bread person. But when I went keto and knew I couldn’t have bread then the bread cravings started. I am sure you can relate.
I tried a variety of Low carb bread recipes I found all over the internet and on and lots and lots of them tasted too eggy for my liking so I literally gave up trying any low carb bread.
Also Check: Very Berry Hibiscus Refresher Recipe
Buttery And Soft Skillet Flatbread
No oven, no problem: You can still make keto bread right from your skillet with this recipe from Inspector Gorgeous.
Since it uses simple ingredients and cooks in batches from your stovetop, this easy recipe is perfect for first-time keto bakers.
You also wont have to wait for the oven the preheat or the bread to reach room temperature before enjoying a low-carb accompaniment to soups and stews at just 4 grams of net carbs per serving.
Not Only Is This Low Carb Bread Delicious But It’s Seriously Low In Net Carbs
Not only that, but the loaves are really big and you can get 25 generous slices out of it. It is fresh baked and comes to you unsliced. Each slice has a total carb count of 9.5 grams, with 8.5 grams of fiber . It has a fairly short and easily recognizable ingredient list. This was really important to me. I’ve tried some low carb breads that required a lengthy google search just to know what they were truly made of. Not the case with LC Foods breads.
Ingredients in the Fresh baked Multi-Grain Loaf: Wheat protein isolates, resistant wheat starches, brown flax seed, vital wheat gluten, butter, coconut oil, Inulin chicory root fiber, salt, instant dry yeast, calcium propionate , organic stevia rebaudiana leaf natural herbal extracts, natural luo han guo monk fruit, natural caramel color and natural enzymes.
Recommended Reading: Meal Prep Recipes To Gain Weight
Kiss My Keto Cinnamon Raisin Bread
Cinnamon, golden raisins, low-carb Stevia, and a bit of honey lend this loaf some sweetness, while the oat fiber and flaxseed meal dial up the fiber content.
“This can be a filling option for those able to consume gluten and dairy who are looking for a low-carb sandwich bread with a hint of sweet flavor,” says Maggie Michalczyk, RDN.
Keto Almond Yeast Bread
One of the first things that I did when I started the Keto diet is find a low carb bread alternative. There are lots of them. My favorite is my own that I made from some trial and error. It’s real bread without all the carbs.
I replaced the wheat flour, with almond flour and gluten. It is absolutely not eggy, and it holds together well for sangwiches. Even my tweeny daughter loves it.
This bread is dairy free, and egg free, but not gluten free. It makes great toast, great sandwiches, and has only 3 carbs per slice.
If you’re gluten free or Paleo this won’t work for you, but fear not, there are lots of options that will work.
I really think this is the bready-est of all that low carb options I have tried, and as you will see I have tried a lot of them.
This Soft and Fluffy Sandwich Bread is Keto, gluten free, and Paleo.
It is a little more involved to make it. But it’s not eggy even though it does have three egg-whites in addition to one whole egg. It’s a yeast bread, and puffs up nicely if you follow the directions closely. It makes great sandwiches and toast.
It’s a fantastic option and you should check it out.
Don’t Miss: Lipton Beefy Onion Dip Recipe
Tips To Get Your Homemade Low Carb Bread Recipe Perfect Every Time
- Use finely ground blanched almond flour.
- Use room temperature cream cheese so you can easily scoop it out with your Tablespoon
- Use fresh baking powder at least not more than 6 months old.
- I have used both room temperature eggs and cold eggs but I prefer to use cold eggs because it cools the dough making it easier to handle. it also reduces the chances of the heat from the dough cooking the eggs.
- Add the almond flour to the melted cheese first before adding the eggs.
- If you find the dough too sticky, wet your hands or let it rest its becomes easier to handle when its not hot. alternatively, chill in the refrigerator for 10 – 15 mins
This post may contain Affiliate links. Read full disclosure here.
Wanna make this keto bread?
Tips To Make The Best Recipe
- You must cover the bread with aluminum tin foil before placing it in the oven. As the ingredients are extremely delicate, we dont want to risk it browning too quickly.
- Ensure there are 1-2 inches of parchment paper overhanging the sides of the loaf pan. This makes removing the bread from the pan so much easier.
- Oven makes and models differ. Mine took 40 minutes to make, but Id recommend checking up at the 35 minutes mark. Dont stress if it takes up to 45 minutes to bake.
Also Check: Immune Booster Essential Oil Diffuser Recipe
Buttery Coconut Flour Low
Each of these buttery biscuits has 143 calories and only 2.5 net carbs. They are made with egg whites and only one yolk, along with baking powder to help them rise. The biscuits dont brown, so timing is important for this recipe to make sure that they cook for the optimal amount of time. These biscuits turn out moist and buttery with no egg aftertaste.
How Do You Store Keto Bread
- Parchment Paper. Keto bread doesn’t last quite as long as the regular store-bought bread you may be used to. So if you plan on eating the whole loaf in a few days, I would suggest wrapping in parchment paper once completely cooled.
- Freezing. Avoid storing inside anything that retains moisture. If you don’t think you’ll eat this bread recipe fast enough, you can absolutely freeze this keto bread. If you choose to try freezing this, slice up the bread, and freeze flat so that you can remove one slice at a time if needed.
Don’t Miss: Ground Turkey Shepherd’s Pie Recipe
Do You Need To Refrigerate Keto Bread
Yes, it is ideal to store keto bread in the refrigerator. It is also good to not slice the bread ahead of time. To prolong the shelf life of your keto bread you will want to slice it when you are hungry, and keep the entire loaf in a Ziploc bag, or a Tupperware container in the fridge. It will last in the fridge for 7-10 days.
Dairy Free Keto Cooking
This recipe is from my book Dairy Free Keto Cooking . It features over 160 low carb, keto, gluten free, and dairy free recipes. It has 5 different allergen friendly meal plans, and over 100 pages of resources to help you navigate the keto diet. If you suffer from dairy intolerances or food allergies, this is the book for you. If you are someone who just loves easy to make, delicious food, then this also the book is for you.Grab a copy of Dairy Free Keto Cooking HERE
Also Check: Smirnoff Red White And Berry Recipes
Thin Slim Foods Zero Net Carb Honey Bread
A slice of whole-wheat bread has 4 grams of protein and 2 grams of fiber. This option delivers nearly twice the amount of protein and more than three times the fiber, which is just one reason Upton is a fan of this “satisfying” and “filling” bread. Another plus? The texture is parallel to that of its carb-riddled counterpart.
“The base of this bread is wheat protein isolate and wheat gluten, which are the two ingredients that give bread the texture we love and crave so much,” explains Upton. “To make this product, they remove the carbs from the flour and only utilize the proteins of the grain. This helps bolster the protein while keeping the bread-like texture.”
Golden Flax Focaccia Bobs Red Mill Giveaway
Flax seed meal is also a good base for making a delicious low-carb bread substitute. Just like other types of focaccia, this bread can be used for toasting and for pressed sandwiches. The main ingredients are flax seed meal and eggs, two low-carb friendly ingredients. A low-carb and high-protein food, the golden flax focaccia is also high in fiber.
You May Like: Gluten Free Dairy Free Bread Recipe
Different Ways To Use Cloud Bread
This cloud bread recipe isnt just good for sandwiches either! Try using cloud bread with these other uses:
- Toast top with butter, or honey. But be careful when toasting, cloud bread can quickly turn to ash
- Soup find yourself a veggie based soup for healthy reasons and try dipping your bread in.
- Pizza make mini pizzas with your low carb bread.
- Breadsticks sprinkle with cheese and a little olive oil or butter to make delicious breadsticks!
Keto Tortillas And Wraps:
Taco Tuesday, and weekday lunches just wouldnt be the same without this handful of low carb tortillas and wraps!
From cauliflower to cheese, to almond flour. Theres an option here for everyone!
- Keto Tortillas. Want to chow down on some serious Mexican food but in a healthier way? Enter thesesuuuper pliable, soft and delicious tortillas!
- Keto Wraps. These bad boys are incredibly versatile, portable, pliable, soft, fluffy and FULL of flavor. Theyre the perfect vehicle for any filling youre craving!
- Keto Naan. Naan is the best and low carb naan is better than the best! The greatest?! Either way, if you havent tried to make naan at home, this is your perfect excuse to give it a shot! I love to whip these as a yummy flatbread to pair with an Indian feast!
Recommended Reading: Easy Keto Recipes Meal Prep
What Is The Texture Of This Keto Bread Like
The problem with most keto breads is that they are either taste like egg, or that they don’t hold together. This is as close as you will come to a Keto white bread. I struggled to find a gluten free ketogenic recipe that made a good slice of bread, but didn’t taste like you were eating a handful of raw egg. Finally, it was the inclusion of chia seeds that helped the bread gel together without over-reliance on the eggs.
In this recipe, chia seeds are NOT optional. In fact, in all of my keto baking recipes, if I ask you to use chia seeds, they usually serve a function.
If you have a picky eater, or someone with sensory issues, consider grinding the chia seeds before adding to the keto friendly dough. You can useblack chia seeds orwhite chia seeds. The chia seeds add a pleasant, crunchy texture.
How To Create Air Pockets In Almond Flour Bread
Some people ask why low carb bread doesnt rise like wheat bread. Unfortunately, almond flour just doesnt work the same way as wheat flour. But, you can still do everything you can to help this bread rise:
Also Check: How Do I Cost Out A Recipe
Tools To Make Keto Bread With Almond Flour
Tap the links below to see the items used to make this recipe.
- Loaf pan This one is the perfect size and doesnt stick in case the parchment paper coverage misses some areas. The non-stick surface is PTFE-free and PFOA-free.
- Parchment paper sheets These are pre-cut for baking sheets, but the size is also perfect for loaf pans to hang over the sides when making low carb bread.
- Bread maker This is NOT required for this low carb bread recipe! But, some people want one and my readers have told me that the recipe does work in it, on the quick bread setting.
- Psyllium husk powder This is the one I use and it doesnt turn purple for me. Some brands of psyllium husk powder can do that, though its harmless either way.
Can I Substitute The Inulin Powder
If you want to be certain your keto bread is completely sugar free, you must use inulin powder for this recipe.
However, if you follow a dirty keto diet and dont mind trace amounts of sugar, you could substitute an equal amount of coconut sugar.
Do not use another keto sweetener to substitute, as it will not serve as sufficient food for the yeast to eat.
Also Check: 5 Star Challah Bread Recipe
About The Ingredients In This Low Carb Bread Recipe:
This is a quick bread. Its great because there is no rising time and no yeast to fuss with.
It is made much like an old fashioned sponge cake. You separate the eggs and whip the whites into a glossy meringue .
Doing this develops the protein in the whites and helps the bread hold together well and makes the batter fluffy-ish. Cream of tartar helps in this process but can be skipped if there is none in your pantry..
Whipping the whites into glossy, soft peaks takes about three minutes with my beater. There should be no liquid in the bottom of the bowl. The whipped-up egg whites remind me of a thick shaving cream.
The yolks are added to the dry ingredients along with the butter. The yolks lend richness and loft and the butter does as well. The sweetener is added only to build that lightly sweet taste that is in bread made with wheat. It is optional too.
You will note that I use glucomannan in the batter. Glucomannan is a fiber that is often used in bakery goods in the United States.
The soluble fiber lends flexibility to the bread. It must be stirred into the dry ingredients thoroughly or it will clump when liquid is added.
If youve ever had the zero carb shirataki noodles, then youve eaten glucomannan. It is optional but the texture wont be quite as flexible without it.
This is good sandwich bread. The texture and crust are quite nice and it tastes really good. Oh and hey- its gluten free. Enjoy! -Laura