How To Make Apple Crisp
- Adjust oven rack and preheat oven. Butter baking dish.
- In a mixing bowl whisk together 1/2 cup flour, oats, 1/2 cup brown sugar, baking powder, 1/4 tsp cinnamon and 1/4 tsp salt.
- Rub butter into dry mixture with fingertips until it comes together into small crumbles. Refrigerate.
- In a bowl whisk together melted butter and flour until well blended, then mix in water, lemon juice and vanilla. Stir in 1/4 cup brown sugar, 1/2 tsp cinnamon, and pinch of salt.
- Toss apples with butter mixture in a bowl then pour into prepared baking dish.
- Sprinkle with crumble apple crisp topping.
- Bake in preheated oven until top is golden brown and apples are tender.
- Let cool slightly before serving.
Easy Stovetop Apple Crisp
- 1 and 1/2 Tablespoons of butter
- 1/2 cup of old fashioned oats
- 3 Tablespoons of brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon of cinnamon
- 1/4 cup of slivered or chopped almonds or pecans
For the apple filling:
- 4 apples, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 Tablespoon of butter
- a squeeze of lemon juice
Wash, peel, and thinly slice your apples and set them aside. In a large skillet, melt 1 and 1/2 Tablespoons of butter over medium heat. Add the oats, brown sugar, cinnamon, and nuts. Cook, stirring often, over medium heat until the mixture turns golden brown and feels crispy. With a wooden spoon, scoop the topping onto a plate. Carefully wipe out the skillet with paper towels. In the same skillet, melt a Tablespoon of butter. Add the apple slices and cook over medium heat until they begin to soften, about 5 minutes. Add the sugar, cinnamon, salt, and lemon juice. Continue to cook for several more minutes, until they are very tender. Cover the skillet while cooking, if you want them to soften more. When the apples reach your desired tenderness, serve them in bowls, topped with the crisp topping. If you wish, add a dollop of whipped cream. Enjoy!
How Do You Make Apple Crisp From Scratch
Full recipe for homemade apple crisp without brown sugar is at the bottom of this page.
You May Like: Pumpkin Pie Spice Latte Recipe
Ingredient Notes & Substitutions
- Apples: I prefer a tart green and pretty firm apple for this apple crisp, like a Granny Smith apple
- Salted butter: if using unsalted butter, add an extra pinch of salt
- Salt: the amount included for this recipe just balances the sweetness & acidity, it doesn’t taste “salty”. If you like it saltier, add some extra salt.
Easy Apple Crisp Recipe
One of the reasons I love this recipe is how easy it is to make. It’s as no-fuss as you can get.
- To make it, you just layer sliced peeled apples that have been tossed with lemon juice and vanilla in a baking pan.
- Then top the apples with a mixture of brown sugar, butter, cinnamon and oats
For more information on which apple varieties are best for baking, check out our Guide to Apples.
You May Like: Easy Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Cookie Recipe
Easy Apple Crisp Recipe Without Oats
September 29, 2020 by Lisa Wells /
This gluten-free apple crisp recipe with almond flour is so simple and so good. If you love baked apples and cinnamon, you’ll love this healthy apple crisp!
The crumble topping couldn’t be easier and it’s made with no oats, grains, dairy, or refined sugar so it’s paleo and vegan.
One of the best things about fall is baking apple crisps! This crisp uses the same method as my peach blueberry crisp, for a super easy fruit crisp with almond flour and pecans instead of the traditional oat topping.
This simple and delicious apple crisp recipe takes less than 10 ingredients. It has all the fall flavors or your favorite apple pie but it’s so much easier to make!
This post includes some affiliate links for your convenience. You can read my full disclosure policy here.
Notes About The Best Ever Apple Crisp Recipe:
- You can use a metal 9 x 9 or 8 x 8 inch pan or go old fashioned and use a 1 1/2 or 2 quart Pyrex or Corning Ware dish. Any of those will work. Just watch the cooking time. This delicious apple crisp will cook faster in a larger pan because its spread thinner.
- Grandma says margarine can be used instead of butter.
- To make the crumbly topping for this old fashioned apple crisp, use two forks, a pastry blender or even your clean hands. Work it until it resembles course crumbs.
- This recipe inspired us to make a divine cherry version. Try it! A peach version would be good too. Here is a Blueberry Brown Betty recipe thats similar to a blueberry crisp.
- Should you should peel your apples first before making this crisp? Not necessarily. If you are in a hurry, then you could leave the peels on however, this does change the texture of the crisp. If you have time, go ahead and peel them.
- Grandma would say to use whatever apples you have on hand for this easy apple crisp recipe. We agree!
- Try serving it warm with vanilla ice cream!
You May Like: Mediterranean Diet Recipes For Picky Eaters
Apple Crisp Without Oats Directions
1.) Peel and cut the apples so you have cubed apples that are no bigger than a square inch or sliced apples. While you are doing this, let your oven heat up to 350 degrees.
2.) Put the apples in the bottom of the prepared baking dish and start the crisp topping!
3.) Mix together all of the other ingredients, except the butter.
4.) Slowly add the butter until it is all mixed in.
5.) Sprinkle the topping over the apples and spread it out evenly.
6.) Cover the dish with foil and bake it for 30 minutes.
7.) After the first 30 minutes is up, remove the foil and bake it for 30 more minutes.
8.) Enjoy with a scoop of vanilla ice cream and whipped cream!
To jazz up this easy recipe, try adding lemon juice, maple syrup, caramel sauce, or strawberry rhubarb.
Id love to know how this delicious apple crisp without oat crumble turned out for you. and let me know! I know a lot of people view this as a classic fall dessert, but for me, its one of the best desserts I make and eat it year-round!
Before you go, to see the most popular recipe on my blog, Butter Cake!
What Is The Difference Between An Apple Crisp And An Apple Crumble
The fruit filling of our crisp and crumble are the same it is the topping that is different. An apple crisp topping includes oats and uses melted butter, which create a crispier texture while baking in the oven. An apple crumble topping is more of a traditional crumb topping , similar to what you would see on an apple pie or a crumb cake. Cold butter gets cut into the flour and sugar creating a drier, almost sandy texture.
You May Like: Recipe For Stuffed Zucchini With Ground Beef And Rice
Tips From The Betty Crocker Kitchens
- tip 1 When a recipe is called Easy, you shouldnt make more work than you need to! For this recipe, theres no real need to peel the apples. Just make sure you take out the core and seeds, which would be an unpleasant surprise for someone to find in their bowl!
- tip 2 We love this Easy Apple Crisp recipe with Granny Smiths, but feel free to use your favorite baking apples, such as McIntosh, Braeburn or Honeycrisp.
- tip 3 Though an apple crisp is a less structured dessert than a pie, you still want to select an apple thatll stand up to baking. A softer apple can turn mealy and mushy in the heat of baking, and its just not a pleasant texture to eat. Apple varieties that are super crisp when eaten out of hand are the best bakers. But keep in mind that crisp apples can vary in flavor from tart to sweet , so you can choose according to your taste!
- tip 4 Top with caramel sauce to make it even more delicious.
Can You Reheat Apple Crisp
Absolutely! Warm apple crisp is the BEST. To reheat apple crisp, put a slice on a plate and place it in the microwave. Warm it up in 30-second increments, until it is warmed up to your liking.
Tip: Be careful when reheating it, as the sauce can get quite hot and may cause burns if you heat it up too much.
You May Like: Veggie Pizza Recipe With Ranch Packet
How To Make Apple Crisp Without Oats
Pro Tip: The size of the dish is important to help the topping stay crispy. If you squish everything into a smaller, deeper dish, the topping won’t be spread out and the liquid from the apples will be more likely to affect the texture of the topping.
You’re going to love how absolutely EASY this recipe is!
Step 1. Preheat oven to 375. Butter a medium-sized shallow casserole dish.
**Cook’s Tip:Mine is a little smaller than a 9×13 dish.
Step 2. Peel apples and then chop into ½-inch pieces right into the buttered dish.
Step 3. Add the lemon juice to the apples and gently toss to coat the apples.
Step 4. Add the vanilla, cinnamon, brown sugar, and cornstarch and gently mix until distributed throughout the apples.
Why This Recipe Works
- The apples alone are delicious, like warm baked cinnamon apples.
- You don’t even need a crust for this apple crumble recipe, because you’ll crumble the crust right on top.
- Then the butter allows that crust to melt down into the apples, giving a crispy flavorful kick to every single bite of this delicious dessert.
Also Check: Meals On A Tight Budget Recipes
Video Result For Healthy Apple Crumble Oats
The MOST AMAZING Apple Crisp Recipe with Oats (Apple…
Easy Apple Crumble Recipe | Healthy Apple Crumble…
DiVerniero How To Make Apple Pie Crumble Oats
Refined Sugar Free! Healthy, Vegan, WFPB Apple Crumble!
Apple Crumble Baked Oats Recipe | Healthy | Gluten…
Low sugar apple crumble with oats and raisins
Healthy Apple Crumble
Quick apple crumble
Apple Crumble by…
APPLE CRUMBLE | Healthy Oats Crumble | Easy Dessert…
Healthy Oat Apple Crumble With Raw Custard Recipe…
Homemade Apple Crumble Recipe| Caramel Apple Crumble|…
Healthier Blueberry Crumble | Easy & healthy
Healthy Apple Crisp With Oats
Apple Crumble With Oats Recipe | No Refined Flour, No…
Healthy Oats Apple Crumble | No Baking Powder No egg |…
Healthy Apple Crumble
Healthy no sugar apple crumble breakfast
The BEST Healthy & Low-Calorie Apple Crumble/Crisp …
How to Make Apple Oat Crumble Bake | Cook Vegan
Protein Apple Crisp / High Protein Apple Crumble
Healthy Apple Chia Oat Crumble – no sugar, no corn…
Apple Beet Crumble: A Healthy Dessert Recipe Even Kids…
apple crumble #appel #crumble #healthy#healthyfood…
Healthy Apple Crisp – No Fat or Butter Added!
Apple Crisp Oatmeal | Healthy Breakfast Recipe
Oatmeal cookie apple crumble
Only 5 ingredients – 60 minutes – easy apple oat…
Healthy Rhubarb Crumble Recipe ( vegan, gluten free,…
Delicious Oats Apple Crumble Recipe
Healthy Apple Crisp
OVERNIGHT OATS VEGAN » chocolate hazelnut overnight…
Apple Crisp Recipe
Easy apple crumble for one!
Cinnamon Apple Crisp Without Oats
This post may contain affiliate links. Please see disclosure for more information. Published: Aug 18, 2021 by Dee
Cinnamon Apple Crisp Without Oats is one of the best desserts for fall. This easy fruit crisp recipe is simple and delicious. Made with Granny Smith apples, brown sugar and plenty of cinnamon, it’s even better with a scoop of vanilla ice cream and caramel sauce!
One of the best things about fall is that it’s apple season. Everyone in my family loves apples in just about any form, but we especially enjoy eating them when they’ve been baked to perfection in a sweet and juicy apple crisp.
It’s funny but I had never even heard of this simple fall dessert until I got married. Growing up, my favorite apple recipes were apple pies and caramel apples, and lots of applesauce. But the Hubs’ mom always made classic apple crisp after the family trip to the apple orchards.
So, a lot of apple crisps are made with oats. Actually, it seems like almost everyone else uses oats in their apple crisp recipes. The Pioneer Woman’s apple crisp is one of the few recipes for apple crisp without oats that I have seen.
This easy apple crisp recipe is made without oats, and it’s incredibly simple to make — easier than apple pie!
Anyway, like I said, this easy dessert is basically Grandma’s recipe for old fashioned apple crisp, except that I like to add a bit more cinnamon when I make it. That’s why I call this tasty version Cinnamon Apple Crisp.
Recommended Reading: Hershey Chocolate Drop Cookies Recipe
How To Make It
Why Is Grandmas The Absolute Best
This recipe goes a long way back in my family, and there are differing stories about how it came to be.
One story says it originated in my Great Grandparents restaurant in a little Iowan town. The second story is that my Grandma got it off of a sugar sack many, many years ago. As she put it, Im 75 years old, so you know that was a long time ago.
Either way, I couldnt be more thankful for family heirlooms like these. It is the perfect apple crisp.
Its like a big Grandma hug that fills your soul to the very top with comfort. Its the best old-fashioned apple crisp out there.
Over the years, my mom has evolved this recipe and its what Ive grown to love. Not just me either, its a favorite for everyone whos tried it .
My mom doubles the amount of buttery topping, because the more crisp butter topping, the better. She tends to have a way of making desserts extra indulgent, like with heaping cups of peanut butter and chocolate in her Molly Beth Cookie Bars.
Back to this Apple Crisp and it being the best well, youre going to love the buttery crisp topping. Since there are no oats in the topping, it melts in your mouth with each bite, melding into the sweet, juicy apples. Theres nothing like it, and once you have it, you wont go back.
I honestly cant eat apple crisp any other way now. And since this post was originally published in the early years of FITK, Ive also created a summer favorite: Cherry Crisp, and Blueberry Almond Crisp. No-oats crisps are truly amazing.
Don’t Miss: Fat Burning Drink Before Bed Recipe
The Best Apples For Apple Crisp
Granny Smith apples are the perfect apple for crisps. They retain their shape but become wonderfully tender in the oven, whereas other apple varieties turn to mush. Their tart flavor mellows and sweetens in the oven, but doesnt turn overtly sweet. Some contrast is key!
Another great option, albeit more expensive, would be Honeycrisp apples. They possess similar qualities and have become widely available in recent years. You could even use a combination of the two!
How To Make Apple Crumble Without Oats
This apple crisp recipe without oats is so easy to make it involves just a few steps
Recommended Reading: Arm And Hammer Slime Recipe
Tips For Making Apple Crisp
- Slice the apples fairly thin. Anywhere around 1/4-inch to 1/2-inch thin will work perfectly in this recipe. Dont overdo it though you dont want them falling apart during the baking process because theyre too thin.
- Substitute pears for apples. If you want to try something different, or if you just arent a fan of apples, pears are a great substitute.
- While this dessert is pretty sweet in and of itself, I love adding a scoop of ice cream on top. It makes an amazing addition to the cinnamon/brown sugar flavor.
Best Apples For Apple Crisp
You can use any apples for this apple crisp without oats, but the flavor and texture changes. We use wild apples from the tree on the fence line, or whatever we have available.
If you’re buying apples, some popular varieties for crisps and pies include:
- Granny Smith
- Arkansas Black
A mix of tart and sweet apples, or soft and firm apples, adds interest to the crisp. Try Pink Lady with Granny Smith, Braeburn with Golden Delicious, or Gravenstein with Greening.
Don’t Miss: Hillshire Farms Smoked Sausage Recipes With Rice