Grandma’s Sour Cream Pound Cake
This is a recipe the whole family loves. It’s always a hit!
Provided by LVJOANNE
|1 tablespoon confectioners’ sugar, or as needed|
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F . Grease and flour a 9- or 10-inch fluted tube pan (such as Bundt®.
- Beat butter and sugar with an electric mixer in a large bowl until light and fluffy and noticeably lighter in color. Add room-temperature eggs 1 at a time, allowing each egg to blend into the butter mixture before adding the next. Beat in vanilla with the last egg.
- Mix together flour, baking soda, salt, and mace in a bowl. Add flour mixture to the butter-egg mixture alternately with sour cream, mixing until just incorporated. Transfer batter to the prepared pan and spread to smooth top.
- Bake in the preheated oven until a toothpick inserted in the cake comes out clean, about 1 hour and 20 minutes. Cool for at least 10 minutes before inverting pan onto a cooling rack, and tapping out the cake. Dust with confectioners’ sugar before serving.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 494.3 calories, Carbohydrate 56.7 g, Cholesterol 137.1 mg, Fat 28.1 g, Fiber 0.6 g, Protein 5.5 g, SaturatedFat 17.1 g, Sodium 290.2 mg, Sugar 38.2 g
Best Sour Cream Pound Cake In The World
I have NEVER tasted a poundcake as light and delicious as this one. This recipe is from a lady in a rural town in Alabama. She is the best cook! You will not be sorry if you make this one. Please try it and rate it. I feel confident you will like it!
Provided by Sally Lyn
Yield 1 cake, 20 serving
Number Of Ingredients 7
|1 container sour cream|
|2 teaspoons vanilla|
- Add eggs on at a time and beat well.
- Add sifted flour and baking soda alternating with sour cream.
- Add Vanilla.
- Place in greased and floured pan.
- Bake at 300 for 1 hour and 30 minutes or until done.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 311.5, Fat 13.2, SaturatedFat 7.7, Cholesterol 86.4, Sodium 128.3, Carbohydrate 44.8, Fiber 0.5, Sugar 30.5, Protein 4.2
Geechee Girl Rice Cafe Menu And Prices
|with fresh herbs. garnished with croutons0|
|overbrook farm lettuce, herb toasted brie, poached pears, geechee girl vinaigrette0|
|topped with lemon-caper butter. rice perloo and sauteed greens0|
|Shrimp Gratin||with roasted peppers, tomatoes, white wine and cream fontina crumbs. stoneground grits. wilted spinach with bacon and onions0|
|mixed greens with shaved cheddar, candied pecans & garnished with seasonal fruit0|
|with buttermilk dressing and cornbread croutons0|
|with goat cheese, fontina, caramelized onions and bacon0|
|mixed greens with a wedge of toasted brie, candied pecans and seasonal fruit0|
|geechee girl’s take on carolina’s traditional dish of blackeyed peas and rice0|
|twice fried sweet potato medallions. topped with sour cream and green tomato relish0|
|drizzled with sweet and spicy sauce0|
|house smoked and slow roasted pork shoulder served with creamy coleslaw, bbq blackeyed peas & cornbread0|
|with cumin, citrus and garlic. cous-cous style carolina gold rice. sauteed greens0|
|Low Country Shrimp And Grits||$18.00||sautéed shrimp and shallots in rich shrimp sauce on stoneground grits. sautéed greens.0|
|bourbon glazed apples strata with julienne ham, caramelized onion and cheddar. sauteed green0|
|Spice Rubbed Salmon||$19.75||salmon filet seasoned with our sweet and savory rub. served with lofgren farms russet rice and sauteed greens0|
|Vegetable Country Captain||$16.00||vegetables in a mild tomato curry on yellow rice with green peas. garnished with raisins, almonds and coconut.0|
Recommended Reading: Hidden Valley Ranch Beef Recipes
Cream Cheese Pound Cake
Grosvenor dedicated her life to telling their stories and exploring the social and cultural history through food, sharing many tales on NPR. Her 1970 book, Vibration Cooking: Or Travel Notes of a Geechee Girl, wove stories with recipes, setting a mold that many have followed. Her onion pie is like a delicate onion quiche sans cheese.
Steps: Heat oven to 200C/180C fan/gas 6. Heat the oil in a frying pan over a medium heat and cook the onion, garlic and chilli for a few mins until softened.
Steps: 1. Prepare grill for direct-heat cooking with medium-hot charcoal 2. Coarsely grind chiles, spice seeds, garlic, and peppercorns in grinder or with mortar and pestle, then stir together with salt and oil in a bowl to form a spice paste.
Council passed away in 2018, but through her cookbook you can make many of the restaurants best dishes: chicken pie, country-style pork chops, fresh corn casserole, and pound cake, to name a few.
Directions. Preheat oven to 350 °F. In a large mixing bowl, cream the butter and sugar together. Add the sour cream and mix until incorporated. Sift the baking soda and flour together. Add to the creamed mixture alternating with eggs, beating in each egg 1 at a time. Add vanilla.
Tips For Making Sour Cream Pound Cake
- Use room temperature ingredients. I fought against this baking advice for years but once I finally embraced it, the texture of all my cakes improved! Amazing how that works, huh? I still sometimes cheat to speed up the process by microwaving cold sticks of butter for 10 seconds to soften it a bit without melting it and sticking the eggs in bowls of hot tap water for 10 minutes while I pull out other ingredients. But ideally you should let the eggs, butter, sour cream, and milk sit out on the counter for an hour before making the cake.
- Really cream the butter and sugar until it is light and fluffy. This takes about 3-4 minutes of beating on high speed with a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment or using an electric mixer.
- Add the eggs one at a time, mixing well after each addition, but don’t overmix once you add the flour.
- Grease and flour your bundt pan well using baking spray, not cooking spray. Baking spray has flour in it and is a total game changer when it comes to making bundt cakes that release easily from the pan.
Head on over to Imperial Sugar for the full recipe I developed for them.
Read Also: Best Cocktail Recipes With Whiskey
Why Are They Called Pound Cakes
They originally got their name because they contained one pound each of butter, sugar, eggs, and flour, but todays pound cakes are much lighter and smaller than their ancestors.
While this recipe doesnt call for quite that much richness, this old-fashioned traditional Southern classic does call for a dozen egg yolks, which makes this cake truly one of a kind. You can make it with only six egg yolks, but for the best flavor, you will need the full dozen.
My hope is you will make it today so you can taste why this Southern treasure has stood the test of time and why it remains one of her familys favorite recipes.
Geechee Girl Rice Cafe Sour Cream Pound Cake Recipe
geechee girl rice cafe sour cream pound cake recipe is important information with HD images sourced from all the best websites in the world. You can access all contents by clicking the download button. If want a higher resolution you can find it on .
Note: Copyright of all images in geechee girl rice cafe sour cream pound cake recipe content depends on the source site. We hope you do not use it for commercial purposes.
Don’t Miss: Fat Burning Drink Before Bed Recipe
Geechee Girl S Sour Cream Pound Cake Recipe Recipe
Sour Cream Cake Geechee Girl Rice Cafe Philadelphia, PA: Cannoli Angelo’s Civita Farnese Providence, RI: Red Velvet Cobbler Early Bird Diner Charleston, SC: Frozen Pecan Ball Little Tea Shop Memphis, TN: Pecan Pain Perdu 55 South Franklin, TN: Bread Pudding Chef Point Cafe Watauga, TX: Loukoumades Niko Niko’s Cafe Houston, TX:
Gullah Cookbook: 300+ Traditional Grandma’s Gullah Geechee Recipes Including Red Rice, Pan Fried Chicken, and Butter Beans Abebe Kimathi 3.9 out of 5 stars 39
Preheat oven to 350°. Spray 3 cast-iron muffin pans with baking spray with flour. Chop the bacon into small pieces reserve 3 tablespoons. Sift together the flour, baking powder, sugar, cornmeal, and salt in a large bowl. In a medium bowl, beat the eggs, then blend in the warm milk and melted butter.
Instructions. In a large soup pot, heat the oil over medium-high heat, add the onions, and stir for 2 to 3 minutes. Add the stock and bring to a boil. Add the salt, pepper, and basil, then stir in the tomatoes, corn, and lima. beans.
Guy Fieri’s visit to Philly yielded several episodes of Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives.. Tonight, his stop at Geechee Girl Rice Cafe in Mount Airy – which for the record is not a diner, drive-in or a dive – will be shown at 10 o’clock.. At 9 p.m., owner Valerie Erwin will host an outdoor picnic and viewing party that will sub for her annual July 4 picnic.
Who Is Minnie Lee Croley
Minnie Lee Croley was born in 1901 on Pages Mill Creek in Coffee County, Alabama. She died at the age of 87 and is buried in Gadsden County, Florida. During her life, she was known for her skills as an old-time Southern country cook. This recipe was one of her favorites.
It continues to be a favorite with her children, grandchildren, and great-grandchildren. Her grandson, Doug Croley, and his wife Dianne have graciously shared this incredible recipe and their memories of Grandmother Croley with me, and have permitted me to share it with you.
According to Doug, the sour cream pound cake his Grandmother Croley baked was a favorite of all the older men in the WP Woodbery Hunt Club in Gadsden County. They always seemed to be asking my Grandfather Croley to get her to bake it. The men liked to eat it while drinking their coffee usually black. The Woodbery Hunt Club hunted close to Shady Rest, which is in Gadsden County. But that was a long time ago.
Doug also reminisced about watching his grandmother make this special treat from scratch when he was a little boy and said he always looked forward to getting to lick the spoon and the bowl once the batter was poured into the pan. His greatest fear was that his grandmother would scrape the mixing bowl too clean, and he wouldnt have any batter to eat!
Don’t Miss: Tom Collins Recipe With Sweet And Sour Mix
Where To Eat North African Chicken On Food Network
At Geechee Girl Rice Cafe in Mount Airy, Pa., owner Valerie Erwin’s most popular dish is her take on North African chicken. Guy was surprised that the chicken was ”light but well-rounded,” and he said the greens were up there with the best greens he’s ever had. Also try the pulled pork with slaw.
Mildred’s Sour Cream Pound Cake From Scratch
Make this cake from scratch that’s ready to bake in 15 minutes. Mildred’s Sour Cream Pound Cake from Scratch is moist & rich with that special ingredient.
Provided by My Food and Family
|1 cup BREAKSTONE’S or KNUDSEN Sour Cream|
|2 Tbsp. vanilla|
- Heat oven to 325°F.
- Mix flour and baking soda until blended. Beat butter and sugar in large bowl with mixer until light and fluffy. Add eggs, 1 at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in flour mixture alternately with sour cream. Blend in vanilla.
- Pour into 10-inch tube pan or 12-cup fluted tube pan sprayed with cooking spray.
- Bake 1 hour 20 min. or until toothpick inserted near center comes out clean. Cool cake in pan 10 min. Loosen cake from sides of pan with knife. Invert onto wire rack gently remove pan. Cool cake completely.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 310, Fat 13 g, SaturatedFat 8 g, TransFat 0 g, Cholesterol 90 mg, Sodium 125 mg, Carbohydrate 0 g, Fiber 1 g, Sugar 0 g, Protein 4 g
Also Check: Healthy Ground Chicken Recipes For Weight Loss
Sour Cream Red Velvet Cake
My mom clipped this recipe out of either a newspaper or magazine. It is different than other red velvet cake recipes I have seen because it contains sour cream. I have tried several recipes for red velvet cake in the past, but this one is by far the best and is my new favorite. Enjoy!
Provided by Michelle Berteig
|1 ounce red food coloring|
|2 teaspoons vanilla extract|
|8 ounces cream cheese, softened|
|4 tablespoons butter, softened|
|1 lb powdered sugar|
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Mix flour, cocoa, baking soda and salt.
- Beat butter and sugar in large bowl with electric mixer on medium speed for 5 minutes or until light and fluffy.
- Beat in eggs, one at a time.
- Mix sour cream, milk, food coloring and vanilla.
- Gradually beat in flour mixture on low speed just until blended.
- Spoon batter into greased / floured 9 x 13 inch pan or into paper-lined muffin cups , filling each cup 2/3 full.
- Bake cake for about 40 minutes, or cupcakes for 20-25 minutes, or until done.
- Cool in pan 5 minutes, then remove from pan and cool completely before frosting.
- To make frosting, beat cream cheese, butter, sour cream and vanilla in large bowl until light and fluffy. Gradually beat in powdered sugar on medium speed until smooth.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 8262.6, Fat 390.6, SaturatedFat 231.8, Cholesterol 1753.2, Sodium 5753.8, Carbohydrate 1141.8, Fiber 22.7, Sugar 863.7, Protein 91
Delicious Ways To Eat Pound Cake
Having a classic pound cake recipe in your back pocket is a useful baking skill because there are so many ways to dress it up for any occasion. We love topping it with berries and sweetened whipped cream. But here are some additional creative ways to eat pound cake to get you thinking:
- Slice the pound cake and dip it in a cinnamon-spiced egg batter laced with vanilla extract and grill it up for pound cake french toast for breakfast.
- Grill slices of pound cake and stone fruit like peaches for a simple but elevated summer dessert that looks as wonderful as it tastes.
- Make a pound cake ice cream sandwich by scooping your favorite ice cream flavor between two thin slices of pound cake.
- Cut up the pound cake and layer it in a bowl with berries and whipped cream for an easy and tasty trifle. This is a particularly good solution if you have trouble with your pound cake coming out of the pan. Which you won’t, because I’m going to tell you how to solve that little problem-o.
You May Like: S Mores Muddy Buddies Recipe
Geechee Girl Rice Cafe
DIRECTIONS Preheat oven to 375°. Unroll crescent rolls and press into the bottom and up the sides of an 8 inch pie pan. Cook ground beef in a skillet until browned. Prebake the crust for 6 to 7 minutes. Remove the crust from the oven and add the ground turkey mixture. Sprinkle the cheddar evenly over the pie.
Geechee Girl is also vegan-friendly and BYOB! Average Plate: $20. Must Try: Fried Chicken Geechee Girls fried chicken special with potato salad and coleslaw is only available in the summer during Fried Chicken Wednesdays, so plan accordingly. And dont forget to end your meal with Nettas sour cream pound cake for dessert!
In 2004, Real Men rolled out its Sweet Potato Pound Cake Mix in select food retailers in several cities, and published a cookbook in 2005 titled Real Men Cook: Rites, Rituals and Recipes for Living. Proceeds from these enterprises help fund the organizations varied operations and activities.
Rating: 4.75 stars. 570. I’ve been using this recipe for over 20 years, ever since I moved to South Carolina. It can be adjusted to serve any number. Allow 2 tablespoons of seasoning per quart of water. If you cannot find hot smoked sausage, use another smoked sausage such as kielbasa and add crushed hot red pepper to the pot.
How Long To Bake It:
Bake approximately 1 hour and 30 minutes. After about an hour and twenty minutes, use a skewer, toothpick, or paring knife and insert it in the middle of the cake to see if it is done. If the batter or wet crumbs cling to the tester, continue baking and check every 5 minutes.
When the tester comes out clean, remove the pan from the oven and place it on a wire rack to cool for 10 minutes.
Then carefully invert the cake onto the rack, gently lift off the pan and let it cool for an additional hour before serving.
Recommended Reading: Recipes For People Who Hate Cooking
How To Make This Recipe:
When you are ready to make this old-fashioned sour cream pound cake, preheat the oven to 300 degrees F.
Grease a large angel food cake pan or bundt pan well with Crisco. You can also use non-stick baking spray, which contains flour or grease the pan with butter.
If you are using butter or Crisco, sprinkle in a few spoonfuls of flour or granulated sugar over the greased pan. Tap the pan to distribute evenly over the bottom, sides, and tube of the pan. Pour out any excess flour or sugar.
In a large mixing bowl, cream the butter and sugar using an electric hand mixer or stand mixer until fluffy. Stop to scrape down the sides of the bowl as needed.
With the mixer running, add the egg yolks one at a time, beating well after each addition. Add the vanilla extract and mix well.
With the mixer running, add the flour, baking soda, and salt a little at a time until it is all incorporated. Add the sour cream and mix until it is well combined in the batter. The batter will be stiff.
Use an electric mixer to stiffly beat six egg whites until they form stiff peaks. Gently fold the egg whites into the batter by hand. A rubber spatula works well for this.
Pour the batter into the cake pan and smooth out if necessary.