How To Make Puppy Chow
Puppy chow starts with melting dark chocolate and peanut butter in microwave until smooth.
Stir in vanilla extract and put in mini marshmallows. Stir well. You can leave the marshmallows in bits if not melted completely.
Pro-Tip: DO NOT use old marshmallows.
DO NOT heat marshmallows in high heat, they will solidify and turn chocolate peanut butter sauce really THICK! Its okay if mini marshmallows arent melted completely. Smore puppy chow should have marshmallow bits and bites to it.
Take the chex cereal in a large bowl or thick zip lock bag.
Pour melted chocolate mix over it. Toss well to coat the cereal in chocolate mix.
Pro-Tip: be gentle if you use silicon spatula to stir coat the cereal. You dont want to break the cereal, dont worry about clump together. Cereal should be completely coated in chocolate.
Load these chocolate coated cereal in zip lock bag with powdered sugar and shake it well. Everything should be coated well with sugar.
Wait for the puppy chow to dry. Then mix in the add-ins. Miniature Reese peanut butter cups, mini marshmallows, choco chips, Christmas M& Ms, pretzels, sprinkles, or any other add-ins of your choice.
Serve it immediately.
Left overs can be stored in air tight box for up to a week. Make sure the chocolate and sugar coating are completely dry before you store.
Pro-Tip:Spread puppy chow on a large tray to dry them fast.
Smores Muddy Buddies Are Such A Great Treat With All Time Favorite Chocolate And Peanut Butter Muddy Buddy Flavors With Marshmallows And Golden Grahams Mixed In Theyre The Perfect Snack For After School Watching A Movie Or Whenever
I love traditional muddy buddies. There isnt much better than chocolate and peanut butter covered cereal coated in powdered sugar, is there? Its the perfect sweet and crunchy treat
Add in some golden graham cereal and marshmallows to make the treat even more delectable for the best peanut butter chocolatey smores treat ever!
To make youre own smores muddy buddies at home you will need golden graham cereal, chex cereal, chocolate chips, mini marshmallows, peanut butter and powdered sugar. Only 6 ingredients to make this amazing treat at home.
And it only takes a few minutes to make as well! Youll microwave the chocolate chips and peanut butter together until the chocolate chips are totally melted. Stir them both together till nice and creamy. Youll mix the mini marshmallows in and stir so the marshmallows melt a little, but also get totally coated in the yummy chocolate peanut butter mixture.
Use the mixture to coat chex cereal and golden graham cereal until theyre totally covered with the chocolatey goodness. Youll shake it all up in a bag with powdered sugar to coat the mixture, make it extra sweet and to make it so that your hands dont get covered in melted chocolate with every handful
Mix in some extra golden grahams, chocolate chips and mini marshmallows to make the perfect snack mix. Its so good, I promise you wont be able to stop eating it.
Are you ready to see how you can make these treats at home too?
Are You Supposed To Refrigerate Puppy Chow
Store in an airtight container for up to a week and enjoy! Ours never lasts that long though because we eat it quickly. We really love it!
It is ok out for a day or so but it will keep longer in the fridge. Like I said, we eat this super fast because it is a treat we all love!
Puppy chow is so good and you cant eat just one bite. Plus, we all love anything smores so this goes pretty fast around here.
Recommended Reading: Splenda Brown Sugar Blend Recipes
Why You Need To Make This Recipe
- It is so quick and requires very minimal effort.
- This recipe can be doubled or tripled, tap the x2 or x3 in the recipe card to get the right measurements for that.
- It is a great sweet treat to make with kidss around the holidays and create new memories.
- They store so well in the freezer which means you can make them ahead of time!
- These muddy buddies are ery versatile. Yyou can change cereals or add extra nuts or candies to the mix to make them extra festive.
- It is gluten free!! The Chex mix cereal is gluten free so It would be a great snack for those with gluten sensitivities.
How To Make Smores Muddy Buddies:
- Toast marshmallows: Using your ovens broiler, toast the mini marshmallows. Rotate the marshmallows and broil on another side. Keep a close watch and remove from the broiler as soon as they turn a golden brown.
- Prepare ingredients: Into a large bowl, measure the cereal and set it aside. In a big glass microwavable bowl, microwave the chocolate chips, peanut butter and butter uncovered on High for 1 1/2 minutes until mixture can be stirred smooth. Stir in vanilla.
- Coat cereal: Pour the mixture over the cereal and a little more than half of the toasted marshmallows, stirring until both the cereal and the marshmallows are evenly coated.
- Finishing touches: In a new big glass bowl, toss the coated mixture into the powdered sugar. Serve with a few uncoated toasted mini marshmallows, small broken pieces of graham cracker and small pieces of a Hershey Chocolate bars. Store in an airtight container in the fridge.
Read Also: Best Forks Over Knives Recipes
What Re Muddy Buddies
Muddy buddies, also called puppy chow, reindeer chow, or monkey much are sweet crunchy treats made with Chex cereal, peanut butter, chocolate, vanilla extract, and powdered sugar. They are thick, sweet, and super crunchy.
These treats are no-bake making them super fun to make with children or when youre in a rush but need something to serve to friends and family or to entertain on Christmas. Theyre super addictive so beware!
Peanut Butter Smores Muddy Buddies
Enjoy this summer time crunchy snack with all-time favorite chocolate and peanut butter flavors!
Welcome to Smores Week!!! This whole week, myself and some fabulous bloggers will be sharing with you our favorite smores creations. Why? Because who doesnt love some chocolate, marshmallow and graham cracker action? Thank you Lisa for putting together this amazing idea.
I am so excited for a whole week of Smores!! Since I am not really the camping kind of girl, my smores eating is restricted to backyard picnic fires and tons of smores inspired recipes like these peanut butter marshmallow cookies or these smore cookie bars and now these peanut butter smores muddy buddies! Its the way I camp out in the city
Anyhoo, I guess we should really talk about this really easy muddy buddies snack. I hope you are not like me and just discovering how seriously addicting they are now at age of almost 30!! My goodness, I was in the dark. I ended up making this with my 13-year old niece last weekend. Wait lets rephrase, she actually made it and I just photographed them She is a peanut butter addict like her uncle so she threw in some peanut butter to the original idea. Ive been enjoying it as a snack in the middle of the day at work or late night snacks as I blog. Since I dont really camp, I can only imagine that these will be perfect for camping as you chill out by the night fire.
- 5 cups Golden Grahams cereal
- 1 cup mini marshmallow, toasted
- 1½ cups powdered sugar
Don’t Miss: Bourbon Slush Recipe Without Tea
How To Make Smores Puppy Chow
Amazing news, friends: this is a NO BAKE recipe! No oven required, just a little microwaving and mixing. Its a great, quick dessert or even one the kids can help make!
- In a microwave-safe bowl, put the chocolate chips, peanut butter, and butter and zap it for one minute. Stir, then microwave for 30 more seconds. Everything should be nice and smooth when stirred. Add in the vanilla at this point!
- In a large mixing bowl , pour the Rice Chex and 3 cups of the Golden Grahams. Pour the melty, smooth chocolate and peanut butter mixture in and gently stir. I try not to crunch the Chex if I can help it! Stir until its evenly coated, and then transfer everything into a large Ziploc bag.
- Add the confectioners sugar into the bag, seal it TIGHTLY , and shake it until the cereal is all coated with powdered sugar.
- Pour it out onto parchment paper or wax paper. Let it rest there until it cools off and the chocolate is set.
- Place the puppy chow in a large bowl, add the remaining Golden Grahams and marshmallows, and garnish with the Hersheys Bar. Give it a gentle stir, serve, and devour! Prepare to be shocked by how quickly it disappears.
How To Make Smores Muddy Buddies
Making this snack mix really is quick, easy and delicious! There are 2 parts to this recipe, the muddy buddy base and then adding the Smores mix ins.
Making the muddy buddy base is as simple as measuring a few ingredients, melting them in the microwave and then a little stirring and some shaking. Muddy Buddies are one of the best no bake desserts there is! I have a few tricks up my sleeve to make these even easier for you!
Once the muddy buddies are finished, you can immediately toss them into a large bowl with your smores mix ins to finish off this snack mix.
Don’t Miss: Aunt Jemima Waffle Mix Recipe
Smores Muddy Buddy Recipe
Do you love Smores? Here at The Taylor House, we have shared lots of variations of the delicious Smores recipe. You can find everything from Smores Chocolate Chip Cookies to the Smores Muddy Buddies Recipe that we have today.
Its summer time and with summer comes camping, bon fires, and all things out side. My boys even spent a night backyard camping to enjoy the wonderful weather and have some fun with friends. I had originally made them a Campers Crunch Trail Mix to snack on at their sleep over but today I decided to put a yummy twist on it and make it even more delicious!
What I love about this treat is that my kids can eat it on the go. You can easily put some in a bag or container and you are out the door with a yummy snack.
Muddy Buddies are one of our favorite treats. We love how easy they are to make, in a matter of minutes you can make a big batch that you can take to a party, BBQ, or have on hand for snacks.
I always remember my Mom making a huge batch of Muddy Buddies to take to our sports picnics to share with everyone and it was always the first thing to be eaten! Everyone always devoured the treat and we never had anything left to take home.
I think this Smores Muddy Buddies recipe would be a perfect treat for a Camping Birthday Party with kids. You could make little gift bags to give out as favors to the kids when they leave or just have it as a treat during the party. This is a great way to let them have the Smores treat with out using a campfire.
Ingredients For This Muddies Buddies Recipe
Here are the ingredients you will need to make muddy buddies at home. Make sure to scroll down to the recipe card for the full detailed ingredient measurements.
- Chex mixYou can use either the off brand or the regular check mix cereal. They both work really well.
- Peanut butter- Use smooth peanut butter like the one Skippy sells.
- Semi-sweet chocolate chips Use high quality chocolate for your muddy buddies to get the best taste out of them.
- Vanilla The vanilla extract will add a nice depth of flavor to these sweet treats.
- Powdered sugar The iconic muddy buddies look comes from the powdered sugar finish. I like using the Trader Joes one for these because it doesnt have an aftertaste.
Recommended Reading: Recipe App For Dietary Restrictions
When To Serve Smores Muddy Buddies:
Muddy Buddies are so easy to snack on, and this smores version is no different. Make this treat when you have people over for a game night, as a gift for friends, family or neighbors, or just make them for yourself! Everyone will love them.
- 4cupsmini marshmallowstoasted
- 3graham crackersbroken into small pieces
- 2Hershey chocolate barsbroken into chunks
- 1 1/2cupspowdered sugar
Other Muddy Buddy Variations To Try
If you need a classic Muddy Buddy Recipe, dont worry, I have you covered there. Keep your eyes peeled, I have a Reeses Muddy Buddy Mix coming soon. With Reeses Puffs, Reeses Pieces.. It is so good! We cant forget about my Cookies and Cream Muddy buddies or Muddy Buddies in Cookie Form!! Oh, and LUCKY CHARM MUDDY BUDDIES. Yes, its a thing and they are amazing.
If you loved what you saw here, get more of it on , & ! Id love to connect! Sign up for my weekly newsletter below to never miss a new recipe again!
Also Check: Campbell Soup Chicken Dinner Recipes
A Definitive List Of Why Smores Puppy Chow Is The Best Sweet Treat
- Its super easy to make: This smores puppy chow literally comes together in 10 minutes you dont even have to wait for a hot cookie to cool or no-bake bar to set up in the fridge! You can start chowing down on this salty-sweet snack as soon as its together.
- Its a crowd pleaser: EVERYONE likes puppy chow and EVERYONE likes smores. Meaning that every living creature with tastebuds will be obsessed with this fun puppy chow recipe.
- Its addicting: No really. You have been warned. Our two person household literally crushes a whole recipe of these muddy buddies in two days anytime I make this. I wish this was an exaggeration, but it is a cold hard fact.
- Its downright delicious: This smores puppy chow may be a simple recipe, but its one of my favorite recipes that graced our kitchen this year. Youre going to love it.
What Do You Call Them
Puppy Chow, Reindeer Poop or Muddy Buddies. . what do you call them?
Vaguely Midwestern, and easy enough for a middle schooler to make, this masterpiece of Chex cereal, peanut butter, chocolate, and powdered sugar is in the dessert hall of fame. Puppy chow, the human food, is made by pouring melted butter, peanut butter, and chocolate chips over Chex cereal, mixing well, then dumping the mixture into a bag full of powdered sugar. It has all the elements of a good party food: sweet, salty and crunchy. click here to read more. Well, whatever you call them, these are so delicious, easy to make and addicting. Make some and enjoy!
Also Check: Campbell’s Cream Of Chicken Pot Pie Recipe
How To Make Smores Puppy Chow:
In a microwave safe bowl, combine the the chocolate chips, peanut butter, vegetable oil and vanilla extract. Microwave on high for 30 second.
Stir and cook in 15 second intervals until melted and smooth. .
Meanwhile, pour the chex mix cereal in a large bowl. Pour the melted peanut butter and chocolate mixture over the cereal and quickly stir to coat.
In a one gallon ziplock bag, pour the ½ of the total amount of powdered sugar. Then pour ½ of the coated cereal into the other gallon bag.
Seal close and shake to coat the cereal. Follow this process in the 2nd bag as well.
Pour onto a cookie sheet and allow to cool.
Once the puppy chow is coated with the powder sugar, sprinkle the golden grahams, mini marshmallows and Hershey pieces over the top and stir to combine all the ingredients together.
What Is Puppy Chow
You can argue about whether this classic Chex confection is most commonly called muddy buddies or puppy chow. Whatever you choose to call it, these smores muddy buddies/puppy chow are downright delicious. Puppy chow is a salty-sweet, no bake snack mix traditionally made with peanut butter, chocolate, powdered sugar and Chex cereal. But we took it up a notch.
We added in a few extra ingredients to turn this into SMORES puppy chow AKA the tastiest, quickest, most addicting treat youll ever have.
Don’t Miss: On Cooking 6th Edition Recipes
How To Make S’mores Puppy Chow
- Pour the powdered sugar into a gallon freezer bag and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, combine the chocolate chips and Nutella .
- Stir and microwave for 30 seconds. Stir again, and put back into the microwave for 30 seconds. Stir again and put in microwave for another 20 seconds
- In a large bowl, combine 4 cups of the Golden Grahams and all the Chex cereal
- Mix 1 cup of marshmallows in the chocolate and Nutella mix.
- Pour the chocolate mix over Golden Grahams and Chex. Mix well until the cereal is coated in the chocolate mix.
- Pour the cereal mix into the freezer bag, close, and shake until the powdered sugar coats the cereal. Fold in the remaining Golden Grahams and marshmallows.
- Spread the mixture onto a lined baking sheet and allow to cool 5-10 minutes.
The Best Way To Coat Your Muddy Buddies:
I am a huge muddy buddy fan, and am frequently making them. I personally believe I have mastered the perfect muddy buddy coating .
I have found the best way to coat your muddy buddies, without making a mess, is to scoop them into a gallon ziplock bag .
I like to scoop a little powdered sugar into the gallon ziplock bag, then add some of the Chex cereal mixture with all the gooey good stuff on it, then add the rest of the powdered sugar.
I then zip up the bag, and shake it all up. Its easier to separate and make sure each piece is covered, rather than trying to stir it all together in a bowl.
Don’t Miss: Recipe For S Mores Bars