How To Make Zucchini Casserole
Preheat the oven to 400 while you prepare the zucchini casserole. Arrange the zucchini slices in overlapping rows in a small casserole dish, and season them with black pepper. I like to use a stoneware dish like this one.
Next, heat the brie, cream, milk, butter, and garlic in a small saucepan, until everything is nice and smooth. Here is the cheese sauce for your zucchini casserole! Dont be surprised if its a little thin it will thicken more in the oven later.
Pour the sauce over the zucchini, and top with plenty of shredded cheese.
Dont forget the Italian seasoning on top. If you have other herbs or spices around, feel free to use those instead. This zucchini gratin recipe is quite versatile! In fact, if you happen to make this dish later on in the fall, it would be delicious with some fresh rosemary, too.
Stick your cheesy zucchini casserole into the oven for about half an hour, until its golden brown. Youll know its done when the zucchini is soft, the cheese is browned, and the sauce is thick.
If the cheese browns but the sauce is too watery for some reason, you can still fix it. Cover the top and lower the oven temperature to 350 degrees. Then, continue baking for another 10 to 20 minutes, until the sauce thickens more.
Thats it your zucchini au gratin is ready to serve! Its simple, its delicious, and its definitely the best zucchini casserole in my book.
Is This A Healthy Side Dish
This easy crispy baked zucchini recipe is low in calories, at around 130 per serving and is also low in carbs, sugar and salt. Zucchini is a great source of vitamins and minerals like B6, C, K, folate and potassium as well as containing antioxidants. This side is a great way of getting in an extra portion of veg into your diet!
How To Make The Best Baked Parmesan Zucchini
Be strategic about how you slice your zucchini: Prefer softer zucchini? Slice it into thinner rounds, around 1/4-inch thick. Like your baked zucchini on the firmer side? Cut it thicker, closer to 1/2-inch.Dont skip the broiler: The final step in this recipe after roasting your zucchini is to switch on the broiler and broil the rounds for just a couple minutes. This makes the cheese extra toasty and delicious. But keep a close eye on your zucchini while the broiler is going. Food under the broiler can burn very quickly, so you never want to leave your broiler unattended.
Don’t Miss: Keto Recipes Under 5 Carbs
Pork Chops With Zucchini Tomatoes And Mozzarella
The Spruce / Diana Rattray
One-skillet dishes are your best friend if you’re a busy home cook, with more things to do than put dinner on the table. In this easy, one-dish main course recipe, pork chops are simmered in a well-seasoned tomato sauce, along with fresh sliced zucchini, rice, olives, peppers, and a melty topping of mozzarella cheese.
Can You Freeze Oven Baked Zucchini
Yes, you can also freeze roasted zucchini squash. Freeze in a single layer and then transfer to a freezer bag when its frozen solid.
TIP: If youre going to freeze zucchini, its best to under cook it a bit. That way, it wont be overcooked when you reheat.
Do not freeze raw zucchini, though. The enzymes in raw vegetables, especially those with high water content like zucchini, will ruin the texture if you freeze them raw.
Recommended Reading: Lemonade Diet Recipe 1 Gallon
How To Bake Zucchini
Free: 5 Secrets To Fast Healthy Dinners
If youre drowning in zucchini, an easy zucchini gratin recipe is the perfect way to use up a good amount. This low carb cheesy zucchini casserole requires three medium zucchini in a 1 1/2 quart casserole dish, but you can easily double the recipe to make more in a larger pan!
As we head into August, I know Im not the only one with more zucchini than I know what to do with. Anyone with a garden will say that right now!
I keep meaning to start a garden, but never have the time. One of these years Ill take the plunge.
For now, despite no garden, I still have a zucchini problem. Its my own fault, too. I just couldnt resist buying way too much at the farmers market.
Its a good thing my family loves zucchini as much as I do. All the more reason to make cheesy zucchini au gratin, right?
The only thing is, I struggled with the name for this dish. Cheesy zucchini gratin? Low carb zucchini casserole? Healthy zucchini bake? I couldnt decide, so Im using the names interchangeably.
Read Also: Simple Chili Recipe With Tomato Juice
Can I Make These In Advance
Yes. Roasted zucchini is one of my favorite veggie sides for meal prepping because its quality stays pretty consistent even after refrigerating and reheating. They will soften slightly with reheating, so if you prefer your zucchini with some bite to it, undercook it just slightly during the initial roasting period.
Once roasted, store the zucchini in an airtight container in your refrigerator, and it will keep for 3 to 4 days. Reheat in the microwave for 30 seconds to 1 minute.
Can I Make These Fritters Egg
Sure! Simply replace the egg with 2 tablespoons ricotta cheese and bake for an additional 2-4 minutes. Let cool in the pan. You will likely need to use your hands to mix the batter and it will seem dry at first, but keep mixing until it comes together. It will be fairly stiff and thick once its all incorporated.
Also Check: Fun Healthy Recipes For Couples
Baked Zucchini With An Italian Twist
If you ever have a few zucchini to use up on any given night, this recipe will come in handy! Your work time is 10 minutes tops, and the whole thing can be ready in 25 minutes or less.
These oven roasted zucchini are tender on the inside but firm and crispy on the outside. And you’ll love the Italian twist–a golden brown crunchy topping of grated Parmesan cheese and an Italian seasoning of fresh thyme and oregano.
Let me tell you, when I made these zucchini sticks the other night, they were finished before I was able to place them on the table! Thankfully, they’re healthy.
Soggy Roasted Zucchini Culprit Two: Overbaking
Unlike harder vegetables , zucchini has a high water content. That means that if you overbake it, the water will seep out and your zucchini will be soggy.
Cutting the zucchini into larger pieces is a nice safety net. Larger pieces are harder to overcook. Its another reason I love slicing the zucchini into spears.
You May Like: Vegan Recipes For Breakfast Lunch And Dinner
Zucchini And Summer Squash Casserole
The Spruce / Diana Rattray
Here’s a simple, baked casserole that’s a delicious way to celebrate a garden full of zucchini and summer squash. It’s also lighter than many casseroles since it omits the usual heavy sauce. Fresh vegetable casserole with a butter breadcrumb crust and Parmesan cheese is perfect for enjoying at picnics and cookouts on hot summer days.
Quick Baked Zucchini Recipe
This recipe is just a really fast way to cook zucchini in the oven thats extremely tasty. For all those times you dont have time to salt, squeeze, grate, slice, dredge, batter and fry.
You just need a super quick veggie side dish. Right?
I hear you. Enter quick and easy baked zucchini! With crispy golden crunchy parmesan bits!
Also Check: Easy Vegan Gluten Free Recipes
How Long To Bake Zucchini
- The roasting time of zucchini will vary based on the way its cut . It will also vary based on the how thick it is cut, and oven temperature.
- For this recipe using 1/2-inch thick slices, baking it at 350 degrees and finishing it with a broil it will take about 12 minutes.
- If you were to skip the broil it would take about 15 minutes but I love how broiling adds some flavor.
- Keep in mind when baking zucchini that a softer vegetable so it doesnt need a whole lot of baking time.
A Healthy Zucchini Side Dish
Also if you want to take care of clean eating or you want to gain some weight loss, zucchini is always a good choice.
As a matter of fact, Baked Parmesan Zucchini is so delicious that I could say its addictive. Crispy Parmesan shell on top of tender zucchini is perfect combo of flavor and texture as well. I love to eat them as a main dish, not just as a side. But its totally up to your own taste.
Even in the middle of winter, I love to buy zucchini in the market and make this recipe. It simply reminds me of easy and pleasant summer day and the abundance of garden fresh veggies.
Since the spring is just around the corner I couldnt wait to share my personal favorite veggie recipe. Baked Parmesan Zucchini is a must have side dish on your menu this spring or summer.
Also Check: Cheap Healthy Slow Cooker Recipes
How To Roast Zucchini In The Oven
Let me show you how to bake zucchini in the oven:
- Cut zucchini into spears. Simply cut off the ends of the zucchini and then cut each one across in half, making 2 shorter cylinder-shaped pieces. Cut each piece lengthwise 4 times, making 8 sticks out of each larger piece. Theyll look like this:
- Season zucchini. Toss the zucchini sticks with olive oil and season with Italian seasoning, garlic powder, sea salt and black pepper. I like to keep the spices simple, but feel free to experiment with other seasonings. Toss to coat.
- Roast zucchini in the oven. Arrange zucchini sticks in a single layer on the baking sheet without touching. Roast for 7 minutes, flip pieces over and cook for another 8-13 minutes, making 15-20 minutes total.
How Do You Bake Zucchini Without It Getting Soggy
Roasting is a great way to cook zucchini as the high heat will draw out excess moisture before getting it nice and crispy. Lay the zucchini slices in an even layer on the baking sheet so that they roast rather than steam. Theres no need to salt the zucchini before cooking it, the oven will do all the work for you. Its best to serve the baked parmesan zucchini straight away so that they stay nice and crisp.
Don’t Miss: Smirnoff Red White And Berry Recipes
What Do You Serve With Crispy Baked Zucchini
These zucchini rounds are a great alternative to fries and are a great side to serve as part of an easy weeknight meal or a more elaborate celebratory meal like Thanksgiving and Christmas. If you are looking for some inspiration, be sure to check out these dinner ideas:
Easy Baked Zucchini Parmesan
Zucchini Parmesan is an easy baked zucchini casserole that is the perfect Italian side dish or main course. Fast and Easy and so cheesy. Easy Baked Zucchini Parmesan will become your familys new favourite.
As I continue with my quest for cooking, baking, sauteing, or anything else I can think of to use all the zucchini that will soon be taking over my kitchen, I cant wait to share this recipe for cheesy baked zucchini with you.
I have to admit, it might just be one of the best, next to of course stuffed zucchini flowers that are absolutely out of this world. Its one of the best things about summer food.
I was inspired to make this dish after my two daughters and I went for a little walk in a beautiful town called Nemi, which is close by to the small town where we live.
There are many reasons for which I love Nemi, the view is breathtaking, the cappuccino and cornetto are so yummy, but most of all it is not nearly as hot there as the town where we live is. Its nice to have a cool break once in a while.
So anywhere I can go to get cool I will go and feeling refreshed after our visit I decided it wouldnt hurt to turn on the oven to make some baked zucchini. With lots of cheese, of course.
Recommended Reading: Hennessy On The Beach Recipe
Ratatouille With Zucchini Eggplant And Tomatoes
Ratatouille is a French dish typically made with garlic, onions, zucchini, bell peppers, tomatoes, eggplant, and herbs. This easy recipe for ratatouille can be cooked on the stovetop in about 30 minutes. Rich in antioxidants and vitamins, this easy vegetable dish makes a great party appetizer or side dish during dinner.
What Youll Need To Make Roasted Zucchini:
With an ingredient list as short as the cook time, this baked zucchini recipe couldnt be easier. We bet youve already got what you need, which is simply:
- Zucchini. .
- Parmesan cheese! Pre-grated is OK, but the fine dusting that you get from grating real Parmigiano Reggiano over the zucchini rounds with a microplane grater is unbeatable.
- Garlic powder. Our beloved, much-maligned pantry fave. This parmesan-roasted zucchini recipe is a perfect example of why we love garlic powder. Every zucchini slice will get a hint of flavor in a way that fresh garlic cloves just cant replicate. Just be sure that your garlic powder is freshif its more than six months old, spring for a fresh jar .
- Olive oil. You can use extra virgin if you want, but since youll be roasting this in the oven, a lot of that really good flavor will be lost. Regular, non-extra virgin olive oil is perfect here.
You May Like: Homemade Hot Chocolate Recipe For One
More Healthy Zucchini Recipes
If you like pan roasted zucchini recipes like this one, youll probably love some of my other healthy zucchini recipes:
- Zucchini Noodles All you need to know about using zucchini instead of noodles!
- Zucchini Lasagna Fresh and flavorful, with a surprising sauce. Youre going to love it.
- Zucchini Pizza Crust No soggy pizza crusts allowed, this one you can actually pick up with your hands. Only 4 ingredients!
- Zucchini Roll Ups Just 15 minutes to prep, these lasagna rolls are perfect for a light summer meal.
- Sausage Stuffed Zucchini Boats Easy and healthy meal thats packed with flavor and loaded into zucchini boats. Just 10 minutes to prep.
How To Cook Zucchini / Courgettes In The Oven
Now the fun part showing you how this is so quick and easy:
Don’t Miss: Easy Recipes For Large Family
How To Make Baked Zucchini
More Roasted Vegetable Options
- Roasted Zucchini and Squash. Feel free to use a mix of yellow squash and zucchini in this recipe or use the recipe to cook yellow squash only.
- Roasted Zucchini and Cherry Tomatoes. Replace half of the zucchini with 1 to 2 cups of cherry tomatoes. Omit the baking rack. Toss the vegetables together with the olive oil, Parmesan, and spices. Roast the tomatoes on one side of the sheet pan and the zucchini on the other. Toss the cherry tomatoes once halfway through.
- Roasted Zucchini and Onions. Replace one of the zucchini with a small red or yellow onion. Omit the baking rack. Cut the zucchini and onion into chunks . Bake at 425 degrees F for 20 minutes, tossing the vegetables once halfway through.
You May Like: Smoothie Drink Recipes For Weight Loss