What Is Moo Goo Gai Pan
Dont know exactly how this ended up in my moms repertoire but if you were to ask me what my moms top 5 dishes are, this would definitely be up there. Holidays, special occasions , and church potlucksif there was reason to celebrate, we were probably eating moo goo gai pan.
With all the kids out of the house for quite some time now, this dish was all but forgotten until it made an unexpected appearance at our Christmas dinner table this past year. The wife and C enjoyed it so much I was inspired to attempt a version that the entire family could enjoy. The challenge? Sodium.
Moo goo gai pan is basically a chicken and vegetable stir fry dish. Most commonly used are snow peas, carrots, water chestnuts, bamboo shoots, and Chinese cabbage.
Traditionally, this stir fry dish is made with a white sauce, which includes Shaoxing wine and no soy sauce. And my mom uses a lot of salt to season the dish. I knew that wouldn’t fly with my wife.
So here are the tweaks I made. Not quite like my mom makes, but I think well be enjoying this one for some years to come.
If I can be honest with you, Im a burger and fries guy so sodium levels have never been at the forefront of my concerns.
Thanks for inviting me into this space. Now I’m going to pass the baton back to the wife.
Low Sodium Cinnamon Rolls
Who doesnt love warm gooey cinnamon rolls out of the oven? Many people may turn to canned cinnamon rolls for an easy fix, but those have a lot of extra sodium.
This recipe is sweet, delicious, and only has 52 g of sodium per roll! The dough is very soft and fluffy and then filled with cinnamon and brown sugar.
A cream cheese frosting is spread on top, taking these bakery classics over the top. You will make these cinnamon rolls for holiday breakfasts or special weekend brunches!
Healthy Freezer Meal Prep #1
- Tortilla chips
- INSTANT POT: Pressure cook on High from frozen for 30 minutes with Quick Release.
For cooking in Instant Pot, it is important to finish with tomatoes on top to avoid Burn.
- SLOW COOKER: Sauté onion, garlic, carrots and celery before freezing with other ingredients. Thaw in the fridge for 24 hours , then add to a large slow cooker and cook for 4 hours on High or 8 hours on Low.
- AFTER COOKING: Remove chicken and shred with 2 forks. Return to the pot.
This is a large meal, so if you are cooking in anything other than 8 quart Instant Pot then freeze in 2 bags or 2 containers. For 8 quart Instant Pot freeze the bag standing upright, then it fits and lid will close.
Instant Pot 30 mins, QR OR Slow Cooker Thaw 24 hrs. Low 8 hrs, High 4 hrs. After shred chicken.
You May Like: Best Smoked Pulled Pork Recipe
Low Sodium Taco Salad
This low-sodium taco salad makes the perfect lunch for meal prepping. And this salad can be customized to be low-carb, keto, or Paleo-friendly!
First, brown some ground meat and season with Mrs. Dashs low sodium taco seasoning. Ground beef, turkey, or chicken could all be used.
This goes on top of chopped lettuce, Roma tomatoes, scallions, cheddar cheese, as well as black beans and corn.
You could add plain Greek yogurt, sour cream, guacamole, or your favorite salsa to make this salad absolutely addictive!
Low Sodium Shrimp Fajitas
Nothing tops a sizzling plate of fajitas! This recipe features colorful bell peppers, mushrooms, onion, and shrimp.
This recipe uses a delicious low sodium homemade fajita seasoning that combines chili powder, cumin, paprika, garlic, onion, and cayenne.
You will want to use this seasoning on everything! A squeeze of fresh lime juice balances out the dish. Best of all, this main entree comes together in minutes. So then, what to serve with fajitas? Check out these recipes for some amazing ideas!
Also Check: Lemon Drop Recipe Grey Goose
Low Sodium Spaghetti Sauce
Spaghetti night is a classic family tradition and can be whipped up in a jiffy. Many jarred pasta sauces are often extremely high in sodium.
This recipe has only 26 mg of sodium per serving! This sauce has onions, tomato sauce, tomato paste, sugar, garlic, oregano, basil, and red pepper flakes.
You wont miss the salt! This is perfect served with ground beef, your favorite meatballs, or just simply on pasta.
Low Sodium Homemade Ramen
If you are watching the salt shaker, you may have thought the ramen was off the menu. Not so! This recipe will have you happily slurping up noodles all year round.
Dried chow mien noodles are combined with a no sodium billion and dehydrated veggies to create a delicious and shelf-stable noodle soup.
Yes, you can store these in individual servings in glass jars to add hot water! Alternatively, you could store servings in individual plastic bags and then pour them into a bowl and combine them with hot water.
Read Also: Beef Stew Recipe With Tomato Juice
How To Make Light Chicken Alfredo With Greek Yogurt:
Start by drizzling 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a large sauté pan. Then, add chicken tenders or sliced chicken breasts. Cook until the internal temperature is 165 degrees.
PRO TIP: You can use shredded rotisserie chicken or canned chicken for this recipe if you are limited on time.
Once the chicken is cooked, remove from the sauté pan and set in a bowl to the side.
In the empty sauté pan over medium heat, add 1 tablespoon of olive oil. Then, add the minced garlic clove. Let the garlic cook for about 30 seconds. When you start to smell the fragrance of garlic, it is done cooking.
Next, whisk in all-purpose or whole wheat flour, one tablespoon at a time. Slowly whisk chicken broth into flour mixture, blending until smooth. Then, stir in the Greek Yogurt.
Low Sodium Sweet & Sour Chicken
Are you craving Chinese takeout but want to skip the salt? This dish is perfect for you! This is a low salt recipe of everyones favorite, Sweet and Sour Chicken.
You would never guess this dish has only 78 mg of sodium per serving! Chicken breast is battered and fried and then combined with chunks of onion and bell pepper.
Lastly, this is tossed with a homemade low sodium sweet and sour sauce that features sweet pineapple juice, brown sugar, and tangy rice vinegar and ketchup. This dish is perfect served over steamed brown rice or lo mein noodles.
You May Like: Vegan Lunch Recipes For Beginners
The Best Containers For Freezer Meal Prep
- Reusable 1 gallon silicone bags My preferred method and they work!
- Gallon Size Ziploc Bags: It is true you cannot recycle bags in your curbside blue box. Option 1: Wash, dry and re-use . Option 2: Collect and take directly to nearby recycling depot.
- Plastic Containers: You will need large containers, preferably round shape to fit easy into Instant Pot or slow cooker. A good option since they are reusable.
- Glass Containers: These are heavy, pricey and will fit only smaller recipes like White Chicken Chili. But another option. Look for large round 7 cup containers.
To write on re-usable bags and containers, I stick a few rows of overlapping painters tape as a label and write on it with a sharpie. It can be easily peeled off and discarded after use.
Healthy Freezer Meal Prep #3
- Ground black pepper, to taste
INGREDIENTS TO FINISH & SERVE:
- 1/2 small bunch cilantro, finely chopped
- Yogurt, cheese, lime and tortilla chips
- BEFORE FREEZING: Preheat medium skillet on low medium heat and add 1 tbsp olive oil. Saute meat until small pieces. Transfer to the bag with other ingredients to freeze.
- BEFORE COOKING: Add 3 cups water or low sodium broth.
- INSTANT POT: Cook from frozen for 20-30 mins on High pressure. Quick release.
- SLOW COOKER: Cook on Low for 8 hours or on High for 4 hours.
- AFTER COOKING: Add cilantro. Stir and serve hot with yogurt, cheese, lime and tortilla chips.
Instant Pot 20-30 mins, QR OR Slow Cooker Low 8 hrs, High 4 hrs. Before: 3 cups water. After: Add cilantro.
Also Check: Campbells Mushroom Cooking Soup Recipes
Low Sodium Blueberry Pancakes
Have you looked at the nutrition label on pancake mix? Whoa, nelly! Surprisingly, those sweet hotcakes can have a lot of sodium.
These blueberry pancakes only have 113 mg of sodium! Whisk some flour, brown sugar, reduced-sodium baking powder with oat milk, vanilla extract, and apple cider vinegar.
The reaction of the vinegar with the baking powder produces a perfectly fluffy pancake! Blueberries can be stirred right into the batter, added on top, or both, making this a healthy and delicious breakfast.
How To Do Freezer Meal Prep
- Print recipes and shopping list: Pick Healthy Freezer Meal Prep #1, #2, #3 or all 4 out of 4 meal preps below. Each meal prep contains 5 recipes with freezing instructions and complete shopping list click button below each title. Thats total of 20 recipes in this freezer meals post. I found it takes about 2 hours to meal prep 5 recipes and is the most feasible time for a busy mom. After that, I am tired, but you can do 10 recipes at a time, if you wish.
- Gather ingredients: Gather meat, vegetables, cans and sauce jars, and grains on a counter. No spices yet. Label gallon size Ziploc bags with instructions.
- Prep meat, veggies and cans: Cut meat, peel vegetables and open cans.
- Start assembling: Fill each bag with tomato products first , then meat, and stand up right.
- Chop vegetables: Chop basic veggies like carrots, celery, onion, garlic, potato etc. for each recipe individually. Then place on top of meat in each bag. It helps to keep measuring simple.
Vegetarian freezer meals: Meatless recipes assembly begins now after this step.
- Add dry ingredients: Measure and add grains, beans and any other dry ingredients.
- Add liquids: Add liquids from cans and jars like diced tomatoes or tomato sauce, coconut milk, tomato paste and hot sauce.
Dont add water or broth now: Each recipe below has instructions how much broth/water to add right before cooking. Liquid takes a lot of space in the bag and we dont want it frozen.
Healthy Freezer Meal Prep #4
- 1 bunch green onion, chopped
- 12 oz any soft cheese, shredded
- 2 cups green or red cabbage, thinly shredded
- 17 large whole wheat tortillas
- TO COOK IN INSTANT POT: Add all Ingredients to Cook and Cook on High pressure for 20 minutes with Quick Release after.
- STOVETOP: This recipe is not meant for a slow cooker. For stovetop version, please check original recipe.
- AFTER COOKING: Shred chicken using 2 forks right in the pressure cooker and add remaining Ingredients to Finish .
- TO WRAP & FREEZE: Tear 17 sheets of aluminum foil. Place tortilla on top of foil, add 3/4 cup of filling below the center and near to the edge closer to you. Top with some shredded cabbage and cheese. Fold up the bottom to almost cover the filling, then fold up the edges, roll up tightly and then roll again in foil. Freeze for up to 3 months.
- TO REHEAT: Thaw overnight in the fridge. Bake at 450 F degrees for 20-25 minutes or broil for 10-15 minutes. You can also warm burritos up in a microwave without tin foil 2-5 minutes.
Bake at 450 F 20-25 mins, broil for 10-15 mins, microwave no foil 2-5 mins.
Low Sodium Baking Mix
Many home cooks rely on a ready-made baking mix to whip up biscuits, scones, waffles, and pancakes at a moments notice.
Unfortunately, those boxes of the mix are chocked full of sodium. Making your own low-sodium baking mix has never been easier.
Flour is sifted together with sugar and low-sodium baking powder and then cut with vegetable oil. This mix can be kept in the pantry, sealed tightly, for up to 2 months. Youll reach for it again and again!
Recommended Reading: Baked Mac And Cheese Recipe
Healthy Freezer Meal Prep #2
- 1 bunch cilantro, finely chopped
- 1-2 bell peppers, chopped
- BEFORE COOKING: Add 6 cups water or low sodium broth.
- INSTANT POT: Cook from frozen on High pressure for 20 minutes, wait 10 minutes and do Quick Release.
- SLOW COOKER: Thaw in the fridge for 24 hours before cooking. Cook on Low for 6 hours or on High for 3 hours.
- AFTER COOKING: Remove chicken and shred with 2 forks. Using an immersion blender, puree soup right inside the pot. Return chicken back to the pot along with peanuts, lime juice, cilantro and bell peppers . Stir and serve hot.
Instant Pot 20 mins, 10 mins NPR, after QR OR Slow Cooker Low 6 hrs, High 3 hrs. Before 6 cups water. After shred chicken and puree soup, 1 bunch cilantro, 2 limes, 1 cup peanuts.
What Are Freezer Meals
I believe everyone has a bit different understanding of a freezer meal. Our 20 freezer meals are healthy premade meals with mostly uncooked ingredients, combined in a single container or bag, quickly frozen and then cooked from frozen with a bit of liquid in Instant Pot or slow cooker . They are not frozen leftovers.
Read Also: Pumpkin Spice Latte Recipe Crock Pot
Other Recipe Similar To Crock Pot Chicken And Rice
- If you enjoyed this dish, try my Homemade Hamburger Helper for another easy recipe similar to this one.
- Crock Pot Chicken Pot Pie This healthy crock pot chicken pot pie is just as thick and comforting as the original, thanks to a few simple swaps. Top with biscuits for an easy dinner!
- Chicken Pot Pie Healthy Chicken Pot Pie. Just 380 calories for a huge, creamy serving! Packed with juicy chicken, fresh veggies, and topped with a golden, flaky crust.
Ground Turkey Pasta Bake
INGREDIENTS TO ASSEMBLE AND FREEZE:
- 1 lb ground turkey, extra lean
- 3 cups whole wheat penne/fusilli pasta, uncooked
- 4 5 cups kale stems, removed & chopped
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 4 large garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tbsp olive oil, extra virgin
- 1 tbsp oregano, dried
- 2 cups 6 oz mozzarella cheese, shredded & divided
- 1/3 cup Italian parsley, chopped
- Cooking spray
- TO ASSEMBLE: Cook pasta in a pot. In a skillet, saute onion and garlic 3 minutes, stirring occasionally. Saute oregano, rosemary, basil, pinch of red pepper flakes, salt and pepper for 30 seconds, stirring a few times. Add ground turkey and cook for another 5-7 minutes, breaking meat into pieces and stirring occasionally. Add tomato sauce, honey, balsamic vinegar and pasta water. Stir, bring to a boil and simmer for 2 minutes. Add kale and stir to combine. Now add cooked pasta and stir to combine more.
- TO WRAP & FREEZE: Transfer half of the mixture in previously prepared baking dish and sprinkle with 1 cup cheese. Add remaining pasta meat mixture and sprinkle with remaining 1 cup cheese. Wrap tightly with plastic and aluminum foil on top.
- TO COOK: When ready to eat, remove from the freezer and warm up on a counter for 30 minutes to prevent dish from shattering in the oven. Bake from frozen in preheated 350 degrees F oven for 40 minutes.
Counter 30 mins, bake frozen at 350 F 40 mins.
You May Like: Chicken And Mashed Potatoes Recipe
Low Sodium Bourbon Chicken
If you are craving takeout, heres another classic recipe that ditches the salt! This low sodium bourbon chicken is sure to become a family favorite.
Chicken breasts or thigh meat is coated with cornstarch and browned until crispy. Then garlic is sautéed and combined with bourbon, broth, brown sugar, ginger, onion, and red pepper flakes to make a delicious sweet and savory sauce.
The chicken is added back in to coat every piece with the sauce. This is best when served over steamed jasmine rice and paired with a steamed vegetable to use up all that thick and velvety sauce.
Baby Led Weaning Spaghetti
Oh spaghetti…I’m sure you’ve seen pictures of naked babies covered in spaghetti from head to toe. Adorable unless that baby is yours. It’s so great to see our babies exploring food and mess is most definitely an unavoidable part of baby led weaning. However, I don’t know about you, but the clean up time is my least favorite part!
Enter this baked spaghetti pie.
Once baked, simply cup up the packed noodles into bite-sized pieces. It will still be messy because of the sauce, but it will be much more tamed. You’re welcome
Just like with toast, yogurt, and oatmeal, pasta is such a great vehicle for so many nourishing foods. Make a big batch and toss with various dips, sauces, or simply Greek yogurt, thinned out nut butter, etc.
Here are some sauces you can try!
Also Check: Pork And Rice Recipes Easy
Low Sodium Creamy Garlic Chicken
This main dish is so versatile. You can serve it to guests or family for a heart-healthy meal!
This is seriously one of the best low sodium dinner ideas. This juicy chicken breast is smothered in a creamy garlic sauce yet is so simple to prepare, making this a perfect weeknight recipe.
The chicken is patted with a seasoned flour mix and then browned in butter. A sauce made from stock, garlic, onion, cream, Italian seasoning, and Parmesan. This dish goes wonderfully with mashed potatoes and steamed green vegetables.
Who says tailgating cant be heart-healthy? If you are looking for some great low-sodium snacks for game day, this has got you covered!
Here you will find low sodium versions of some of your favorite Super Bowl recipes.
Buffalo wings with creamy ranch dip, chips with tangy tomatillo salsa, pulled BBQ pork, a delicious sweet-and-salty praline pecan crunch, and even drinks like Bloody Marys and Micheladas! These recipes are so good. Youll never go back to the full-sodium versions again!