Flavorings & Customization Ideas
- Fruit. Yes, you can make keto fruit shakes and enjoy fruit on a keto diet! Some great low carb fruit options include strawberries, blueberries, raspberries, blackberries, plums, and kiwi.
- Veggies. Add a dose of nourishing veggies into your keto shakes if you like. Try low carb options like cucumber, celery, broccoli, or leafy greens like spinach and kale.
- Fat. Take your high fat low carb shakes to the next level by adding even more nourishing, creamy fats like avocado or coconut.
- Flavorings. Get creative experimenting with your favorite flavorings! Try cocoa or dark chocolate for a chocolaty profile, matcha green tea powder, or spices like cinnamon, vanilla, or turmeric.
Kale Chia Seed Smoothie Recipe
This kale chia seed smoothie can help you feel full for longer and help increase the total nutrient content of your diet easily.
Of all the weight-loss-friendly foods, kale is king! Its one of the most nutrient-dense foods on the planet. Kale contains only a few calories, but its loaded with nutrients that can have powerful medicinal properties.
Sometimes numbers speak more than words. Just one cup of kale contains:
- Vitamin K: 688% of your daily recommended intake
- Vitamin A: 208% of the DV
- Vitamin C: 132% of the DV
- Manganese: 26% of the DV
Kale also contains copper, potassium, magnesium, and B vitamins. This is coming from only 33 calories per cup.
Kale is loaded with powerful antioxidants that can help prevent oxidative damage and may lower your risk of developing serious chronic diseases.
The antioxidants present in kale also can have powerful anti-depressant, anti-inflammatory, heart-protective, and blood pressure-lowering effects, just to name a few.
How To Make A Keto Smoothie
Because you’re trying to make a smoothie that’s packed with fats and proteins, two components youll find in pretty much any healthy, keto-friendly, low-carb smoothie are:
- Fatty base and liquid – full-fat coconut* or whole milk, avocado or nut butter if using a plant-based milk, whole milk with yogurt or cottage cheese
- Extra fat or protein – chia seeds*, hemp seeds, ground flaxseed, yogurt, cottage cheese, a drizzle of coconut oil*, walnut oil, MCT oil*
Other additions that you may or may not want to include:
- Fruits – mainly berries, such as strawberries, blueberries, raspberries, blackberries
- Greens – leafy greens like kale or spinach, cucumber, broccoli
If you just want to start off with something simple, heres an easy go-to recipe.
Don’t Miss: Recipes For Hillshire Farm Beef Smoked Sausage
How To Customize Your Keto Meal Replacement Shake Adjusting The Macros Flavors And Ingredients
There are a seemingly endless number of ways to personalize this keto-friendly meal replacement shake recipe. Check out the following list for the most common options:
- To add more fat Blend in a high-quality keto oil one tablespoon at a time. MCT oil is the best option because it is relatively flavorless, boosts your ketone levels, and makes the shake more filling.
- To add more fat Blend in more heavy cream, avocado, and/or nut butter. When doing so, keep track of how many carbs you are adding to the recipe as well as how the texture will change.
- Is your shake too thick? Add a source of keto-friendly liquid. Use oil or heavy cream if you dont mind the extra fat. Conversely, to minimize added fat, stick with water or a low-calorie keto nut milk.
- Is your shake too thin? Add more avocado or nut butter to thicken it up. For a zero-carb and zero-calorie option, use a small amount of xanthan gum or guar gum.
- To add more protein Add in a scoop or two of your preferred protein powder or collagen. Double-check the label to ensure it wont add too many carbs to the recipe.
- To change the flavor The two simplest options are adding a sugar-free flavoring or replacing the almond butter with sugar-free peanut butter, keto nutella, or macadamia nut butter. For more flavor inspiration, check out our other keto shakes.
- For a 100% dairy-free and vegan meal replacement shake Use coconut cream or full-fat coconut milk instead of dairy-based cream.
Optional Ingredients For A Keto Smoothie
This triple berry keto smoothie is absolutely delicious and perfect for a hot summer day, but you can always use some ingredients as your base and create your own high-fat smoothie recipes.
If you want to add some creaminess and fat, you can add heavy whipping cream, coconut oil, coconut cream, or even full-fat plain Greek yogurt .
Adding a touch of cream to your drink can create a perfect milkshake substitute.
As mentioned in the section above, you can add keto-friendly natural or artificial sweeteners or low-carb fruits to your drink if wanting to boost the flavor without the extra net carbs.
To make your high-fat breakfast drink different every day, there are many toppings to spice up your favorite recipes.
Also Check: Easy Healthy Recipes For College Students
What Shakes Can I Have On Keto Are Keto Shakes Healthy
Ideally, the best keto shakes are low carb, high fat, and offer adequate protein. By making them at home, you can incorporate energy-dense ingredients like real fruit, nut butter, collagen, dark chocolate, whatever you like. Ive shared 3 satisfying keto shake recipes below: a Keto Chocolate Shake, Peanut Butter Shake, and a Strawberry Shake.
How To Make A Protein Shake For Diabetic Diets:
Special Tip: You can find these directions, along with measurements, nutrition and more in the sharable recipe card in the next section!
Up next, a sharable recipe card for the best smoothies for diabetics
You May Like: Pork And Rice Recipes Easy
Strawberry Avocado Keto Smoothie
Lets start this list off right with this refreshing strawberry and avocado smoothie. Its light, creamy, and bursting with strawberry goodness.
The best part is that its made with only four ingredients. You only need frozen strawberries, avocado, almond milk, and a monk fruit sweetener.
Simply blend everything together and you have a drink that rivals Jamba Juice.
This smoothie is like a Reeses Peanut Butter Cup in a cup! Its super peanut-butter-flavored, with just a hint of chocolate.
Peanut butter and chocolate lovers, this ones for you!
A combination of cream, almond milk, and peanut butter gives this smoothie its amazing texture.
Want to save this recipe? Enter your email below and we’ll send the recipe straight to your inbox!
I think youll to love this. Add a little keto-friendly sweetener and youre in business.
If you want a tasty, healthy, and filling smoothie, try this one!
Its bursting with raspberry and coconut, so its delicious and nutritious.
Raspberries are a super fruit, loaded with health benefits like antioxidants, manganese, and fiber.
Coconut milk imparts coconut flavor and creaminess. It also has anti-inflammatory and anti-fungal properties.
Collagen adds protein and its great for your skin, hair, nails, and joints.
How To Make Any Smoothie Keto
In general, here are the guidelines to follow when you are preparing a keto smoothie:
- Choose low-sugar fruit like berries, and add nutrient-rich greens like kale or spinach.
- For liquids, swap fruit juices out in favor of plain water, unsweetened almond milk, or coconut milk.
- Add healthy fats, like avocado, full-fat coconut milk, heavy cream, MCT oil, or coconut oil.
- And as a final tip, use a high-powered blender to make your smoothies as smooth and creamy as possible.
Also Check: Recipe Of The Day App
Chia Seed Protein Smoothie Recipe
Protein may well be the most important nutrient for a great-looking body and weight loss. If you consume more protein, it may reduce your appetite, and boost metabolism as well.
Protein has a higher thermic effect than other macronutrients. It means your body needs more calories to digest protein than carbs for example. Your body burns up to 30% more calories digesting protein. Only 70 calories out of 100 end up as usable calories.
At the same time, protein is highly satiating and reduces appetite. Youll automatically start eating fewer calories.
Instead of dairy, try light coconut milk in your chia seed weight loss smoothies.
Coconut milk not only tastes delicious, but it may also benefit your health in several ways. It is not to be confused with coconut water, which is the liquid inside a coconut. Coconut milk is made from the white flesh, it looks like milk and has a creamy texture.
Coconut milk contains medium-chain triglycerides , a form of fat. MCTs are believed to support weight loss by reducing appetite and improving ketone production.
This study shows that people having MCTs as part of their breakfast end up consuming fewer calories throughout their day. Try this delicious chia seed protein smoothie recipe for breakfast, its filling and nutritious.
What Youll Find In This Article:
- Ingredients in High Protein Low Carb Smoothie
- How to Make a Diabetic Protein Shake
- Low Carb Smoothie Recipe
- Nutrition and Calories in Diabetic Meal Replacement Shakes
Helpful Tip for Shopping: Take a screenshot of the shopping list to your phone. This way you have it at your fingertips the next time you go grocery shopping.
Recipe Card Uses: You can email yourself this recipe card so you can easily search for it Or print it so you have it handy, and can make notes. You can even pin this low carb berry smoothie to so it is safely stored for you.
Up next, a shopping list for our healthy diabetic smoothie recipe
Don’t Miss: Ranch Fried Pork Chop Recipes
More Keto Shake Recipes
If you like protein smoothie recipes like this one, you might also like some of these other keto smoothies:
- Chocolate Peanut Butter Smoothie Just 5 ingredients and 5 minutes to make, plus it tastes like dessert.
- Green Smoothie Bowl Delicious and nutritious, with plenty of toppings.
- Strawberry Avocado Smoothie Youll love this simple smoothie that needs just 4 ingredients. Its rich, creamy, and fruity.
- Double Berry Smoothie If you love berries, try this version in my Easy Keto Cookbook.
Do Chia Seeds Help You Lose Weight
Just like other seeds, chia seeds contain plenty of beneficial nutrients like heart-healthy fats, minerals, and vitamins.
But can chia seeds actually help you lose weight?
Chia seeds may not be a magic bullet for weight loss, but they certainly can benefit you on your weight loss journey.
Losing weight is simple, but its not easy. You just have to consume fewer calories than you burn.
Chia seeds and other nutrient-dense foods may help you consume fewer calories by giving your body the nutrients it needs. You simply get more bang for your calorie buck.
If you skip processed foods full of empty calories and choose whole, natural foods instead, youll automatically feel satiated quicker.
Chia seeds contain soluble fiber which absorbs large amounts of water and expands in your stomach. It can help you feel full for longer and make you less prone to snacking in between meals.
Getting just 30 grams of fiber every day may help you lower blood pressure as well as promote weight loss. Two tablespoons of chia seeds contain almost 10 grams of fiber.
Chia seeds are also rich in protein, the most weight loss-friendly macronutrient. Two tablespoons contain about 4 grams of protein. A high protein intake may help you lower your appetite, lose weight, and maintain muscle mass.
Also Check: Dinner Recipes For Plant Based Diet
Decide Your Smoothie Flavor
One of the best things about smoothies is you can make them into your favorite flavors. There are soooo many options. Some basic flavor ingredients include:
- Unsweetened cacao powder
- Other flavor extracts
- Strawberries, raspberries, blueberries
If youre adding in any fruits, then make sure you take into account the carbs in fruits.
Dont forget that certain spices add more than just flavor to your Keto drinks:
- Turmeric for its anti-inflammatory properties
- Cinnamon for its blood sugar regulation abilities
- Matcha for all its antioxidants
The Best Low Carb Green Smoothie
This low-carb green smoothie is made with spinach, banana, & protein powder! It makes the perfect low-carb smoothie for a healthy breakfast!
I love smoothies in the mornings for breakfast because the day usually starts out pretty hectic, and sometimes I dont even have time to sit down to eat. Smoothies are easy because I can carry it in one hand and my baby in the other.
But all smoothies are not equal, and I like to keep my breakfast smoothies low in carbohydrates and high in protein and fiber. Ive found that I feel a lot better during the day if I dont start my day with high blood sugar spikes! A low carb banana smoothie is just what the doctor ordered!
This low-carb green smoothie has quickly become my go-to for breakfast, simply because its so delicious, healthy, and easy! Its a great way to start the day off with some vegetables, even my toddler loves this low carb smoothie for breakfast!
Recommended Reading: How To Write A Recipe Book
Here Are 5 Steps For Creating Your Own Perfect Keto Smoothie Recipes
Smoothies make amazing Keto breakfasts. Theyre fast to make, filling to drink, and taste so yummy. Some Keto smoothies can literally taste like a milkshake!
But perhaps the best thing about Keto smoothies is that you can customize them to make them your own.
Every great Keto smoothie needs these 5 ingredients:
- Low carb base liquid
- Extra Keto fats
- Additional nutrients
So, definitely scroll down and make one of our many Keto smoothie recipes below, but also experiment and create your own by following these 5 simple steps:
Easy Weight Loss Smoothie Recipe
This chia seed weight loss smoothie is super easy to make. A little bit of spinach, a banana, mango chunks, and of course, chia seeds are all you need.
While its a green smoothie, it doesnt taste too green. The fruits give it a nice pleasant taste.
Spinach is rich in soluble fiber which is key when it comes to weight loss. Its also one of the most nutrient-dense foods available, giving your body all the nutrients it needs while on a weight loss diet.
These were my favorite chia seed smoothie recipes for weight loss. Chia seeds may help you lose weight and have a positive effect on your overall health. If you love your body and give it the nutrients it needs, itll love you back! Let these smoothie recipes be your starting point to living a more vibrant, happier, and healthier life! Do you have any chia seed smoothie recipes youd like to share? Any questions about smoothies or juicing? I cant wait to hear from you in the comment section below!
You May Like: Cheap And Healthy Breakfast Recipes
Best Base Ingredients For Keto Smoothie Recipes
It may take a minute, but youll get the hang of customizing your favorites without needing a recipe or instructions.
But no matter how quickly you master the art of smoothies you will always need a blender to do the heavy lifting I recommend the Ninja Pro Countertop model.
The Ninja total crushing blades gives you perfect ice crushing, blending, pureeing, and controlled processing crush ice and frozen fruit in seconds.
For now, Ive collected 23 of my favorites to get you started.
Consider this your greatest hits smoothie playlist with all the classics: strawberry, chocolate, peanut butter, green, coffee, raspberry, pumpkin, berry, cheesecake, blueberry, and key lime pie!
Healthy Smoothies Recipe Notes
Healthy smoothies dont have to be green to be nutritious. As a matter of fact, this one is chocolate peanut butter flavor. How yummy is that?!
Loading the blender properly is also important to ensure all ingredients blend well and nothing gets stuck under the blades. It may sound far out but its true! You should start with liquid first, then powder and solids from smallest to largest. Ice typically comes last.
One last thing If youre anything like me then you probably enjoy a tasty little treat at the bottom of your protein shake! Instead of blending the sweet luscious raspberries into the smoothie, mush them up on the bottom of the cup and pour your shake on top.
Then as youre finishing your scrumptious shake, grab a spoon and go to town!!
Recommended Reading: Pasta Salad Recipe Hidden Valley Ranch
The Perfect Way To Start Your Day
When it comes to making a protein-packed breakfast smoothie, the most obvious way to make sure that youre getting plenty of protein is by using a high quality protein powder. This particular recipe calls for a single scoop of vanilla protein powder, but in all honesty, you could just as easily swap it out for a chocolate flavor if youd prefer. Im a big fan of vanilla though, so thats what I usually go with. The exact brand of protein powder I use is made by Perfect Keto and its made with a few added ingredients like MCT powder that really makes it perfect for recipes like this. You can get some for yourself by clicking right here.
Its not just the powder that will be adding protein into the smoothie though as youll also be adding in some cottage cheese and flaxseed meal. Both of these ingredients will help to add a moderate amount of protein along with a tremendous amount of healthy fats. The flaxseed meal in particular is perfect for making breakfast smoothies, as its packed full of omega-3 fatty acids 1.2 grams per tablespoon! Its also an incredible food to include as part of a healthy diet anyway, as its been shown to help prevent cardiovascular disease due to both its fat and dietary fiber content.