How To Make Honey Bbq Meatloaf
Its really not hard to get the Honey BBQ Meatloaf made and put it in the oven.
- First, to make the meatloaf, combine the ground beef, ground pork, beaten eggs, cheese, parsley, salt, and pepper in a large bowl.
- In a separate bowl, combine the milk, breadcrumbs, garlic, and onion.
- Add the milk mixture to the ground beef and pork mixture. Dont overmix all the ingredients.
- Add the mixture to a large loaf pan that has been sprayed with nonstick cooking spray. Press the meat tightly in the loaf pan.
- In a medium bowl, prepare the sauce by combining the barbecue sauce, honey, and grape jelly.
- Spread half the sauce over the top of the meatloaf. Bake it for about 40 minutes at 350°F.
- After 40 minutes, spread the remaining sauce over the top of the meatloaf. Bake for another 20-30 minutes. The meatloaf is done when an internal temperature reads 160°F.
- Remove the loaf from the oven and let it rest for about 5 minutes before cutting and serving.
Leftover cooked meatloaf will last 1-2 days, sealed in an airtight container, in the refrigerator. Be sure to let it cool completely before storing it in the fridge.
How To Make Meatloaf
You will begin making your BBQ meatloaf the same way as any classic meatloaf recipe – by crumbling the beef into a large mixing bowl. Follow this step by adding all of the remaining meatloaf ingredients to your bowl. Finally, working with clean hands, combine the meat mixture together until well blended.
Optional Tip: For some people, it can be easier to mix the wet ingredients separately in a small bowl and then add everything together. Either way works well as long as everything is well-combined in the end.
Next prepare the BBQ sauce glaze by mixing together the ketchup, apple cider vinegar, brown sugar, Worchestershire sauce, and cayenne pepper in a medium bowl with a whisk.
Ladle ¼ cup of sauce into the bottom of a bread loaf pan to help prevent the meatloaf from sticking. Then add the meatloaf mixture to the pan and press evenly to distribute the meat throughout the pan in an even thickness. The remaining meatloaf glaze then is painted over the top of the loaf. The meatloaf is now ready for the oven.
Meatloaf With Barbecue Sauce
Yes. You heard me right. There arent too many things that cant be made better with BBQ sauce. Thats just a fact. You can Google it, someone said it somewhere. Probably me, actually. But its true and whoever said it, I stand by it. BBQ meatloaf makes my point deliciously. Its everything you love about really terrific meatloaf, but it has that little extra something special. BBQ meatloaf has its own BBQ glaze once its cooked and is destined to be a household favorite.
Recommended Reading: Costco Com Quick & Easy Recipes
Glazed And Not Confused
Some recipes call for pouring some ketchup on your meatloaf and calling it good. I actually like that classic meatloaf technique just fine, but sometimes a change is nice and this Bourbon BBQ Glaze is the change I need.
While the meatloaf bakes, I recommend simmering the glaze on the stovetop for a few minutes until it reduces enough to coat the back of a spoon. Then let it cool slightly and itll thicken into a nice sauce.
I top the meatloaf with some of this near the end of baking, but also reserve some for drizzling on individual pieces. It definitely takes this meatloaf to another level!
How To Cook Bbq Meatloaf
Baking BBQ Meatloaf in the oven at 350 degrees for 70 minutes will yield great results. However, if the weather cooperates and you are feeling daring, fire up the grill and cook over indirect heat at a similar temperature. Be careful to monitor the temperature to prevent burning and you should have a meatloaf that is out of this world.
Note: Baking time can vary depending on how thick you form the meatloaf, which is why using an instant-read thermometer is always recommended.
Also Check: Chocolate Chip Banana Bread Recipe
Spicy Bbq Meatloaf With Smoky Sweet Bbq Sauce Topping
Thanks for sharing! You rock!
Spicy BBQ Meatloaf with Smoky Sweet BBQ Sauce Topping is a flavorful, deliciously seasoned moist BBQ meatloaf that will make you want more and more. The smoky sweet BBQ sauce topping is just as easy to make as the meatloaf and only takes 10 min of prep time! This is a one pot meal you family wont forget. Plus, it freezes really well too.
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links which means, if you make a purchase, Ill receive a very small commission which helps with blog expenses so you can continue to receive FREE recipes but, the price you pay is the same.
Spicy BBQ Meatloaf with Smoky Sweet BBQ Sauce Topping
I actually did not grow up eating meatloaf or mashed potatoes. What? Really?
I know you are thinking I must be an alien from Mars or something but, Im really just the daughter of Italian immigrants who didnt cook American foods.
Dont feel too bad for me because I had really great Italian foodlike One Pot Meatballs & Sauce much better than Olive Gardennot that Im knocking Olive Gardenor am I?
So, I fell in love with Paula Deens Old Fashioned Meatloaf and have been making it for years. When I tried a BBQ Meatloaf a few months back, I knew I needed to come up with a recipe for it.
Hence, I adapted my Spicy BBQ Meatloaf with Smoky Sweet BBQ Sauce Topping recipe from Paula Deens basic meatloaf recipe.
I am a bit old fashioned after all.
Spicy BBQ Meatloaf with Smoky Sweet BBQ Sauce Topping
How To Make Turkey Meatloaf With Bbq Glaze
Begin by making the BBQ glaze: in a medium bowl, combine the ketchup, brown sugar, apple cider vinegar, and mustard.
Whisk to combine.
Next, in a small pan, heat the olive oil and add the onions.
Cook until softened, then add the garlic and cook for a few minutes more.
Meanwhile, in a large bowl, combine 1/4 cup of the BBQ glaze with the Worcestershire sauce, Dijon mustard, paprika, thyme, salt, pepper, and eggs.
Whisk to combine.
Mix in the onion mixture.
Then add the bread crumbs and turkey.
Use your hands to mix it all together.
Form two loaves on a baking sheet.
Then spread the remaining BBQ glaze over top.
Bake for 40 to 45 minutes. I prefer this free-form meatloaf to those made in a loaf pan clean-up is so much easier and all the extra fat is able to ooze out during baking.
Scrape the fat away from the loaves, transfer to a platter, and slice.
Also Check: Fried Cabbage And Sausage Recipe
How Can You Tell If The Meatloaf Is Done
You cant tell if meatloaf is done the way you can with a cake or even a loaf of bread, but the recipe here is a pretty good indicator of when your BBQ meatloaf will finish cooking. However, its always important when cooking meats to confirm the internal temperature. So make sure you have a thermometer handy to stick in the loaf when you take it out. You can also use a knife to see if it comes out clean.
Keep It Tender And Juicy
Make sure to purchase 80/20 ground beef. The leaner the beef, the dryer and grainier the texture of your meatloaf will be. No, thanks.
You’d be hardpressed to find a more tender meatloaf recipe, and it has a whole lot to do with soaked breadcrumbs. All you need for this are standard, plain breadcrumbs and some milk — 2 % or whole milk works just fine.
Recommended Reading: Pea Protein Shake Recipes For Weight Loss
Best Meatloaf Recipe With Bbq Sauce
This meatloaf with BBQ sauce is a super simple, extra delicious recipe that everyone loves. This classic family dinner comes together in no time, making it ideal for even the busiest weeknights. Its a great weekend meal too.
With classic flavors and easy prep, its a definite winner that I know you and your family will love. Give this BBQ meatloaf recipe a try and get ready to see everyone coming back for seconds.
Angela’s Tips & Recipe Notes
- Make your own meatloaf seasoning. If you dont have this or cant find any, try mixing this basic seasoning instead: 1 teaspoon salt, 1 teaspoon paprika , ½ teaspoon black pepper, and ½ teaspoon onion powder.
- Dont over-mix. If you mix meatloaf too much, itll be dry and dense. When ingredients are evenly distributed, stop immediately. Use your hands for best results.
- Buy 80/20 meat. Without enough fat, meatloaf can become dry. I like to use a maximum fat of 20% . Too much fat is messy too!
- Lift meatloaf with a cooling rack. If you are using a meat with a high fatcontent, try cooking it on a cooling rack on top of a rimmed baking sheet rather than a loaf pan. The baking sheet will catch the drippings and keep your oven clean.
- Dont overcook. Be sure to watch and check the meat towards the end of the cooking periods. Every ovenand altitudeis different and could affect the timing. Overcooking this dish will lead to a dry, crumbly meatloaf.
Also Check: Hershey’s Fudgy Brownie Recipe
How To Make Spicy Bbq Meatloaf With Smoky Sweet Bbq Sauce Topping
*The entire recipe is at the bottom of this post.
Note: I suggest using 85% lean ground beef for this recipe because the fat content adds to the flavor and moistness of the meatloaf.
Also, I dont suggest omitting the tomatoes as they add a great deal of flavor to this recipe.
You may want to make a double batch of this recipe and freeze the other loaf as it freezes well.
Or, you can cut into smaller portions and then freeze it in meal plan containers.
First, preheat oven to 375F or 190C.
Then, in a large mixing bowl, combine:
85% lean ground beef, chopped onion, Rotel tomatoes with chiles, a beaten egg, rolled oats, Italian Style bread crumbs, Worcestershire Sauce, chili powder, ground cumin, McCormick Montreal Smoky Steak Seasoning, garlic powder, and additional salt to taste. Using your hands, mix until well combined.
I know you dont want to get your hands full of raw meat but, mixing it with a big spoon will take longer and not be as effective as mushing it through your fingers. Sorry.
Next, form one rounded loaf in a 9 loaf pan or larger baking dish. Dont use a sheet pan as the juices may run over the sides and onto your oven.
Then, bake the meatloaf for one hour and 10 min, uncovered.
Meanwhile, combine ingredients for Smoky Sweet BBQ Sauce Topping in a measuring cup:1/2 cup of ketchup2 tbsp of brown sugar, packed1 tbsp ground mustard1/4 tsp cumin1/8 tsp garlic powder
Let the meatloaf cool for a few minutes before serving.
How To Make Bbq Meatloaf In The Oven
- In a medium bowl soak the bread crumbs in milk.
- Cook onion until brown, then add garlic and cook until fragrant. Add the finely chopped bell pepper and cook until softened.
- Mix all the ingredients for the meatloaf until just combined.
- Form a loaf, using a loaf pan. Transfer to a baking sheet/ cast iron grill pan.
- Mix the ingredients for the meatloaf glaze and pour half of the sauce over the meatloaf.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 1 hour at 400°F / 200°C. Remove from the oven and pour the remaining sauce. Bake another 15 minutes.
Also Check: Best Recipes To Make At Home
How To Store Bbq Meatloaf
This BBQ meatloaf recipe is easy to make and delicious. You know what else it is? Easy to store. Honestly, meatloaf is one of the easiest things in the world to store. You can keep it in an airtight container for up to four days in the refrigerator.
For longer storage, you can freeze BBQ pork meatloaf or beef meatloaf for up to four months. To freeze, simply chill it in the refrigerator, then wrap it in plastic wrap and aluminum foil. To defrost the meatloaf, place the container in water and let it sit for an hour. Then, slice the semi-frozen meatloaf and heat it up in a microwave oven.
How To Make Meatloaf With Bbq Sauce And Cheese
First, add the eggs to a large bowl, and beat slightly.
Then, add your ground beef, BBQ sauce, seasonings, bread crumbs and grated Parmesan cheese to the large mixing bowl.
For this meatloaf recipe, we’re using BBQ sauce instead of the usual ketchup or tomato sauce. Use your favorite brand or a homemade barbecue sauce here.
Now comes the fun and messy part. You get to mix the ground beef and everything else up with your hands!
If you over mix the meat, it gets too tough. Nobody wants that, right?
You just want to be able to form the meat into a loaf shape, so knead the meat mixture until it starts to come together.
Then, form it into a loaf shape, and place it into a large casserole dish or baking dish. A loaf pan or baking sheet also works.
Also Check: Low Carb Vegetarian Dinner Recipes For Weight Loss
Looking For More Meatloaf Recipes
Crock Pot BBQ Meatloaf This meatloaf is super easy, tastes great and the delicious flavor of the barbecue sauce gives this meatloaf a savory, smoky flavor then topped with additional barbecue sauce makes this one tasty meal.
Barbecue Turkey Meatloaf This Barbecue Turkey Meatloaf is not only quick and simple, but it has a secret ingredient as well. Dont worry, Im spilling it all right here for you to create this delicious dish too!
Meatloaf Panini Whos with me when I say, I LOVE meatloaf sandwiches? How about a meatloaf panini? If you are a meatloaf lover, than you are going to love this meatloaf panini. Just another way to enjoy a delicious meatloaf sandwich.
And here is a delicious Instant Pot Meatloaf recipe from our friend, Karin from Kitchen Divas, that you might enjoy!
More Easy Ground Beef Dinners To Try:
- If meatloaf is your favorite, you must give this BBQ Fatty a try. It’s a layer of ground beef, a layer of sausage and stuffed with cheese, peppers and onions. All of that wrapped up in a bacon weave and then smoked to perfection. Seriously, y’all!!
- Homemade Salisbury Steak is another comfort food favorite. I remember my mom making this when I was growing up and it was always so good with mashed potatoes!
- Mexican Cornbread is a great dish to change up the dinner routine. Homemade cornbread stuffed with seasoned ground beef, onions, cheese and jalapeños. Straight from my grandma’s recipe box, it’s a tried and true favorite.
- Easy Stuffed Pepper Soup is a hearty meal that is so simple to make! If you are a fan of stuffed peppers, you are going to love how easy this one comes together.
- Swedish Meatballs served over mashed potatoes is a fantastic dinner for any night of the week.
If you find yourself craving comfort food, I insist you give this recipe a try. It’s so flavorful and delicious and like no other meatloaf I’ve ever tried. The peppers and onions add so much flavor and great texture.
FOLLOW MISS IN THE KITCHEN ON SOCIAL MEDIA
You May Like: Hidden Valley Ranch Dip Recipe For Veggies
Why This Recipe Works
Growing up as a child of the 70s, meatloaf was a staple on our family dinner table. I grew up eating this dinner, and to this day I still serve this classic meal to my family.
Only, now Ive changed up the flavor.
Or I should say, Ive added MORE flavor.
Ive taken the traditional meat loaf recipe of childhood and added a tangy glaze of homemade bbq sauce. Its so good! Especially when served with a side of au gratin potatoes!
When you hear people talk about moms meatloaf, this is why. Put away all your misconceptions about what makes a great meatloaf, and give this delicious dinner a try!
Favorite Beef Recipes: Swedish Meatballs | Beef Taco Skillet
Icons / Ellipsis / Ellipsis
Read Also: Tito’s Vodka Bloody Mary Recipe
Smashed Potatoes And Cream Cheese: