Tools Used To Make This Meal:
- Knife Set I got this when I got married almost 11 years ago. I use them multiple times a day and theyre still going strong!
- Cutting Board I love having various sizes of cutting boards and these are awesome because they wont slip and slide around on the counter.
- Pot & Skillet Set These are the skillets and pots I use. They have a heavy bottom making them sturdy and cook the food evenly. I use these multiple times a day.
- Cast Iron Skillet A cast iron skillet is a kitchen must have! It heats evenly and gives meats a nice crust. I love browning smoked sausage and ground meats in this pan.
Is Cabbage And Sausage Keto
Some cabbage and sausage recipes are keto, but not all of them! Some add sugar to the mix, or use sausages with sneaky fillers.
Because we used a super clean Garrett Valley Farms Sugar-Free Smoked Andouille Sausage to make this fried cabbage and sausage recipe, and were not adding any sugar, this recipe is keto friendly.
Why You Will Love This Recipe
- Its quick and only takes about 30 minutes to prepare. Perfect for busy weeknights
- Its budget friendly
- It has simple ingredients and easy to make
- Its a one pot meal which makes clean up a lot easier
- Its low carb
Growing up, my grandma and mom would make this southern fried cabbage as a side dish but I’ve made it into a main dish at our house by adding smoked sausage. Smoked sausage adds the perfect amount of salt and smoky flavor to the cabbage and it’s hearty and filling.
Recommended Reading: Easy Fast Food Recipes To Make At Home
Cabbage And Sausage Ingredients
Made with simple ingredients, you wont spend much time grabbing what you need to make this recipe. Heres what you need:
- Smoked Sausage: You want fully cooked smoked sausage sliced into bite sized pieces. You can use your favorite brand of smoked sausage for this recipe.
- Cabbage: Fresh, chopped cabbage works best.
- Onion: Onions always add a layer of flavor and they are a key ingredient in this recipe. I used a medium yellow onion.
- Garlic: Fresh garlic will give you the most flavor.
- Spices: For a little more flavor, youll need smoked paprika, salt, and pepper.
Sausage And Cabbage Skillet Recipe
This delicious Sausage and Cabbage Skillet recipe is low-carb deliciousness in a skillet. Each serving has less than 450 calories and less than 25 grams of carbohydrates . Its easy to get excited about its nutritional values, but the taste is what will win you over.
Who doesnt love Southern fried cabbage with sausage? Only those who have not had it thats who. When cabbage is cooked, it transforms into this lovely creation that tastes good and is actually healthy. Plus, the addition of sausage and bell peppers yum!
Did I happen to mention that this is an easy weeknight dinner? Its also easy to make on the weekend and great served as a flavorful side dish. Its a great way to eat green vegetables!
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 ½ cups chicken stock or chicken broth
For the sausage, you dont want one of those little breakfast sausages. You want something more along the line of a rope. You get bonus points if you use smoked turkey sausage. And if its organic and raised free-range even better.
To make this cabbage and sausage recipe, start by prepping your veggies. Go ahead and slice the bell peppers and onions and set them aside. Feel free to use any color of bell pepper that you like. Its said you should eat a rainbow, so feel free to go for red, yellow, and green bell peppers.
Place a skillet over medium heat and melt the butter and add olive oil. Sauté the peppers, onions, and sausage for 4-6 minutes. You want the veggies to soften a little.
You May Like: Oatmeal Soap Recipe For Eczema
More Simple Recipes To Enjoy:
Asparagus Stuffed Chicken: This one is so impressive, but its really quite simple to throw together on a busy night!
Unstuffed Cabbage Rolls: All the flavor of a traditional cabbage roll without the carbs or the work!
Air Fryer Chicken Legs: Perfectly seasoned with a crispy skin that is ready in no time!
German Cucumber Salad: We eat this as a side dish all summer long. So simple and refreshing!
Steak Bites: If youre a little intimidated by cooking a steak, this is a simple way to get started. Plus that marinade is AMAZING.
How To Fry The Cabbage:
Be sure that you use a pretty large skillet, with a lid. If you are adding the smoked sausage or any other meat, be sure to cook the meat first. Add the cabbage into the skillet once the meat is cooked. You may have to add the cabbage in handfuls, and give it time to wilt.
After you add all of the cabbage and onions to the skillet, add all of the seasonings. As I often say, adjust the seasonings according to your taste! Please adjust your seasonings accordingly!
Use a spoon or a spatula, stir the cabbage and meat until it is evenly coated with the seasoning. Place the lid on the skillet and let it simmer for about ten minutes. Remove the lid, stir well, and continue to simmer until the cabbage is tender.
You May Like: Recipes For Fat Loss And Muscle Gain
What Type Of Sausage To Use In This Cabbage And Sausage Skillet
Before I get a bunch of comments and questions – no, Polska Kielbasa is definitely not an Irish ingredient since it’s a traditionally Polish sausage.
I love the smoked flavor of it though – it works perfectly with cabbage, and an easy ingredient to find pretty much anywhere in America unlike a lot of more traditional Irish sausages.
I also prefer using smoked sausages since you just need to reheat them to cook them, making this recipe fast and delicious!
Other ideas that are delicious in this recipe:
- Beef, Chicken, Turkey, or Vegan Polska Kielbasa style smoked sausages, sliced into thin rounds
- Cheddar Stuffed Bratwurst, sliced thin, for a cheesy twist on this dish.
- German Breakfast sausages, cooked in the pan before frying the onions and cabbage
- Andoille Sausage, sliced into thin rounds, for a slightly spicy twist!
Why Youll Love This Fried Cabbage And Smoked Sausage Recipe
- Easy one-pot meal that’s ready in 30 minutes
- Hearty, filling and loaded with flavor from the smoky sausage
- Budget-friendly requiring just a few simple ingredients
- Healthy and nutritious
Cabbage seems to be an unsung hero of the low carb world. With its versatility, you can create so many wonderful and nutritious meals with it. This recipe for Egg Roll in a Bowl and this Fried Cabbage with Bacon are hugely popular, Keto and low-carb friendly AND only take minutes to prepare.
Though this fried Cabbage with Sausage dish is great to serve any time of year, St. Patrick’s Day is right around the corner, which inspired me to come up with a new and delicious recipe to help celebrate the holiday! This recipe nailed it! Not only is it easy, but it also tastes AH-mazing!
Sliced smoked sausage is pan seared in a little bacon grease until browned and slightly caramelized. Sweet sauteed onions and tender cabbage are then added creating the most perfect companions to the smoky flavors in the sausage.
Whether you are serving this for a St. Patrick’s Day feast or for a simple weeknight dinner, you will simply love all this dish has to offer simple, easy, affordable and DELISH!
Don’t Miss: Raw Food Diet Recipes For Humans
Making Sausage And Cabbage
Being able to prepare dinner all in one pan is easily the highlight of this sausage and cabbage recipe. Its beyond easy, but sooo good! Once you get everything sizzling to perfection in your skillet, you wont be able to resist a test-try.
How To Store Fried Cabbage And Sausage
You can store leftovers in the fridge for up to about 4 days in an airtight container.
This dish can also be frozen, which makes it a great meal prep option! Just place leftovers in a sealed, airtight and freezer-safe container. Label the outside of the container with the date you cooked and place it in the freezer for up to three months.
To thaw, just place in the fridge overnight, then reheat in a skillet until warmed through.
Is Cabbage OK for Keto Diet? How Many Carbs are in Fried Cabbage?
Absolutely! Cabbage is a great veggie for Keto. Because it has a mild flavor, cabbage is even used as a pasta substitute in some Keto lasagna recipes.
There are approximately 6.5 total grams of carbs in a one cup size portion of fried cabbage. The fiber in cabbages comes in around 2.5 grams making the net carb count only 4 grams.
What Do You Eat with Fried Cabbage? What Kind of Meat Goes with Fried Cabbage?
The sausage in the recipe is perfect with fried cabbage. But it is so versatile you can add it to just about any type of protein you’d like.
Serve fried cabbage alongside a pan seared Filet, grilled Chicken, hamburger steak, Salmon, or other types of sausage like andouille or Italian sausage. It truly will go with just about anything you want to serve it with.
How Long Do You Cook Cabbage For?
One of the great things about this fried cabbage recipe is, you cook the sausage separately, which means you can cook the cabbage just the way you like it.
Also Check: Easy Tasty Recipes For Snacks
Ingredients For Cabbage And Sausage:
- Oil-Just a little oil is needed to brown the sausage. Browning the sausage not only makes it pretty but adds so much flavor.
- Smoked Sausage Any variety of smoked sausage will work. My family prefers Polska Kielbasa. For more heat and a Cajun take to this dish, use andouille sausage.
- Butter This prevents the cabbage from sticking to the pan but it also adds flavor.
- Cabbage This simple vegetable holds a lot of flavor and health benefits. The recipe calls for 8 cups which seems like a lot but it really cooks down.
- Garlic This adds delicious flavor to the dish. Stick with fresh minced garlic.
- Salt I like to add the salt at the beginning to help draw the water out quickly and cook faster. Remember that if using table salt instead, youll just need 1/2 teaspoon fine table salt instead of 1 teaspoon kosher salt.
Other Easy Low Carb Dinner Recipes
Looking for more keto dinners that you can make in 30 minutes or less? Check out a few of these favorites:
- Zucchini Pizza Boats are an easy and delicious way to satisfy your pizza cravings without the high-carb crust!
- Chicken and Shrimp Stir-Fry with broccoli is paleo, keto, low-carb friendly, and quick to whip up.
- Keto Kabobs are made with grilled fajita seasoned chicken that you can enjoy right off the skewer!
- Low-Carb Taco Salad features fresh greens topped with everything you love about a taco.
- Paleo Egg Roll in a Bowl is so delicious and satisfying, youll never miss the wrappers!
Read Also: Cooking With Toddlers Easy Recipes
Fried Cabbage Recipe With Sausage
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
This fried cabbage recipe with sausage is so quick and easy – you won’t believe it! The sausage is a fabulous addition that adds great flavor and spice!
Taking only 20 minutes from prep to serving, this skillet cabbage with sausage is a real winner for busy weeknight dinners! And you get to choose the sausage you use. I used Polish sausage, but you can use a less spicy or more spicy sausage.
Read on for my best tips on making your best fried cabbage ever!
Directions For The Recipe
Steps to prepare smoothened fried cabbage are mentioned below:
- Step 1- First of all, wash the fresh and green leafy cabbage properly with warm water. If you want, eliminate the upper layer of cabbage as it faces pollution and other chemicals to stay the cabbage fresh.
- Step 2- Cut the cabbage in half and remove the core from the middle. The core is solid and uneven it will rinse the taste and delight.
- Step 3- Add cut cabbage to the pot.
- Step 4- Add other essential spices and ingredients like salt, smoked paprika, black pepper, and canola oil.
- Step 5- You can add onion at this point, if youd like.
- Step 6- Mix them all in the pot and cover it properly.
- Step 7- Cook the mixture on the burner and heat it on medium heat until it gets softened.
- Step 8- In the meantime remove the pot from the burner carefully.
- Step 9- For decorations and toppings, you can use other leafy vegetables, bacon, sausage, or whatever youd like.
- Step 10- Serve it to your family, friends, relatives, and guests with love. It can be served on occasions like birthdays, anniversaries, receptions, any family function, new year, Christmas, and new year.
- Step 11- For all your small occasions and family arrangements, It can be served.
Read Also: The Best White Russian Recipe
How To Store Cabbage And Sausage Leftovers
This is one of my favorite dishes to have prepped and ready to go in the fridge. Store any leftovers you have inside of an airtight container. When stored in the refrigerator, leftovers will keep for up to 4 days. Also, cabbage and sausage is one of those dishes that reheats beautifully in the microwave!
REMEMBER TO LEAVE A STAR RATINGAND TAG ME ON THE GRAM IF YOU MAKE ANY OF MY RECIPES! I ALWAYS LOVE TO SEE IT WHEN YOU DO!
UNTIL NEXT TIMELOVE AND BUTTER,
What To Serve It With
You can eat this as is, but I highly recommend you serve fried cabbage and sausage over these 2 options:
I hope you enjoy this recipe for dinner soon!
Recommended Reading: Keto Diet For Type 1 Diabetes Recipes
How To Make Fried Cabbage And Sausage
This fried cabbage and sausage recipe couldnt be easier! Let me show you how to make it:
- Brown. Heat oil in a large braiser pan and brown sliced andouille sausage on each side. Transfer to a plate and cover to keep warm.
- Saute. Wipe down the pan and add butter and onions. Saute onions until soft and starting to brown.
- Steam. Add shredded cabbage to the braiser, cover, and cook until cabbage is starting to wilt, but still crisp-tender.
- Season. Add diced tomatoes, cajun seasoning, salt to taste, and cooked sausage. Stir fry until cabbage has wilted and extra liquid has evaporated.
How To Store Leftover Cabbage And Sausage
You may not have any of this southern comfort food left, but if you do, you can easily store any leftovers in your refrigerator. Place the cabbage and sausage in a bowl with a lid and place it in the fridge. Be sure to eat it within 2-3 days.
Leftovers heat up well in the microwave, however you can also heat up any leftovers in a skillet on the stove. It makes a very delicious lunch the next day if you do happen to have any leftovers!
You May Like: Starbucks Vanilla Frappuccino Recipe In The Bottle
Fried Cabbage And Sausage Recipe
A super EASY fried cabbage and sausage recipe! This keto combo of smoked sausage and cabbage makes a healthy, delicious dinner in just 30 minutes.
This post may contain affiliate links, which help keep this content free.
This post is sponsored by Garrett Valley Farms. All opinions are my own and I only share products I personally love. Thanks for supporting the brands that make this site possible!
You know I love a quick stir fry meal, and youll want to add this fried cabbage and sausage recipe to your list. It turns basic ingredients into deliciousness. This is a naturally keto cabbage and sausage, made with high quality andouille sausage and cajun seasoning for the best flavor making it a veggie, protein, and flavor packed meal in one pan.
But even if you just want a simple weeknight dinner and arent low carb, youre going to love this 30-minute meal. Be sure to let me know what you think of this easy smoked sausage and cabbage once you try it!
If you havent tried cooked cabbage, you are missing out! I love coleslaw as much as anyone, but cabbage is so delicious and satisfying when cooked. Try my Southern fried cabbage recipe for another healthy twist on braised cabbage.
And, many of their sausage options are completely sugar-free!
Does Cabbage Need To Be Washed
Not necessarily, but I highly encourage it. Its usually clean inside thanks to the outer leaves, but I like rinsing it under running water to get rid of any trapped dirt, insects, and other debris.
What I do is I take off the outer leaves, then I slice the head as the recipe calls for. Then I rinse the sliced pieces and drain them in a colander. Draining is important especially for sauteed recipes like this one so that it gets seared instead of getting steamed in the pan.
Recommended Reading: Easy Low Fat Dinner Recipes For Family