Build The Shepherds Pie And Bake
Add the ground turkey mixture to a large, ovenproof casserole dish. Spoon the mashed potatoes evenly on top of the meat. Arrange the mash so that it covers the entire top. Place the casserole dish on a large baking sheet just in case it bubbles over it doesnât make a mess out of your oven. Bake the turkey and mashed potato casserole for 30 minutes.
Garnish with chopped parsley or other fresh herbs if desired. Let the shepherdâs pie rest for 10-15 minutes before serving.
You may also like these comfort food recipes:
How To Serve This Skillet Meal
Oh there are so many ways to serve up this easy meal. You can clearly enjoy it as is and its just perfect. Flavorful. Healthy. Satiating thanks to those potatoes.
But perhaps you want to add something to stretch this dish a bit further? I know I always like something green on our plates! Pile this delicious combo of turkey and potatoes over roasted veggies like my Spicy Roasted Broccoli or Easy Roasted Broccoli . That will give you an added boost of vegetables! This is also crazy delicious over traditional or cauliflower rice!
Ground Turkey & Potatoes Casserole: Tips
So, yes, this hearty but healthy casserole was inspired by shepherds pie. However, I wanted to change up the topping a bit to add more flavor and texture. Therefore, I topped it with frozen potatoes, which browned nicely and created a chewy instead of mushy topping. Also, the casserole is smothered in a creamy sauce, but its made with only one tablespoon of butter so is actually pretty light.
As mentioned before, you can make the casserole recipe with ground beef too, if you prefer. Actually, I made it twice this week because I wanted to improve the recipe a bit after the first time. So, I used beef first and ground turkey the second time. All in all, me and my family preferred the ground turkey with potatoes casserole. However, we are turkey meat lovers, so our opinion is a little subjective.
This isnt what I would call a quick weeknight dinner. It uses two skillets plus a baking dish and takes over an hour to make including baking time. However, its great for a Sunday dinner or for making ahead if you are home to cook during the day. It will totally with it, believe me! Even though it takes some extra time and energy, the result is extremely delicious and also good for you!
Also Check: Paleo Recipes For Weight Loss
How To Best Enjoy Ground Turkey Sweet Potato Casserole
Ground Turkey Sweet Potato Casserole can be enjoyed in so many delicious ways!
You can serve simply as is add some more cheese, salt, and pepper on top for an easy dinner. Or add some extra flavor with marinara sauce or hot sauce!
But one of my personal favorite ways to enjoy this healthy ground turkey dish is as leftovers the next morning. Just heat up some of the casserole in a pan and top with a runny egg its the perfect satisfying, veggie-filled breakfast!
How To Serve Ground Turkey Sweet Potato Skillet
- Add a sauce. My husband is lactose-intolerant, so I typically only add cheese when making this dish for me and the kiddos. When preparing it without cheese, I whip up a quick sauce to add in that finishing element and a little bit of creaminess .
- Make it creamy. As mentioned above, the sauce adds a great creaminess. For a healthier creamy element, we like adding a ripe, chopped avocado. Fat-free or light sourcream is another great creamy addition.
- Serve with a low-carb base. To keep the theme of low carb going, we like to serve this meal over cauliflowerrice. To keep it fast, I grab frozen cauliflower rice and pan sear it until lightly browned and tender.
- Add some freshness. To add a burst of freshness, add in some chopped cilantro or Italian parsley. A squeeze of lime also makes for a nice addition.
- Try other additions. Again, the goal is getting a quick meal on the table, so these will add time to the prep but any of these would be great additions to this recipe: diced onion, minced garlic, frozen corn, diced sweet bell pepper, and/or diced cherry tomatoes.
Don’t Miss: Spinach Juice Recipe For Weight Loss
More Cast Iron Sweet Potato Skillet Recipes To Try:
- Ground Beef Zucchini Sweet Potato Skillet: Its very flavorful, easy, quick-to-make, healthy, a one-pan meal, gluten-free, whole30, and paleo-friendly!! Its great as leftovers to take to work for lunch.
- Ground Turkey Skillet with Green Beans: A gluten-free and low-carb recipe that is definitely easy to make and a tasty meal for your family dinner.
- Ground Turkey Sweet Potato Lettuce Wraps: Fresh and flavourful, this recipe can easily be prepared in just 20 minutes.
- Ground Turkey Cabbage Skillet: An easy recipe that is perfect for a quick dinner during the week. Its made with ground turkey, cabbage, cheese, and spices.
- Sweet Potato, Kale and Shrimp Skillet: You need only 4 ingredients to make a quick, easy, and healthy dinner meal.
- Asparagus Sweet Potato Chicken Skillet recipe: Another gluten-free, paleo, and whole30 one-pan meal that takes only 30 minutes to be on your table for dinner.
Ground Turkey With Carrots Peas And Potatoes
This is probably my favorite recipe. It always hits the spot, is easy to make, and has healthy protein and carbs. You can also eat it alone without a side dish which saves you additional calories.
- 1 lb. Lean Ground Turkey
- 2 Russet Potatoes, peeled and cut into small cubes
- 2 Carrots, large
- 1 Sweet Peas, 15 oz. can
- ¼ tsp. Ground Black Pepper
- ¼ tsp. Onion Powder
- ¼ tsp. Garlic Powder
You May Like: Hershey’s Thumbprint Cookies Recipe
Printable Recipe For A One Pan Skillet Dinner:
Here is the printable version of this super easy Weight Watchers sweet potato skillet meal. Its a family favorite and you can totally spice it up to your liking.
We keep things simple and then everyone adds their own little flare with each serving but its easy to customize, forgiving if you need to add or subtract certain ingredients, and who doesnt love just one pan to clean up!
Amount Per Serving
As with any of our recipes, carb counts, calorie counts, WW points and nutritional information varies greatly. As a result, your nutritional content depends on which products you choose to use when cooking this dish. The auto-calculation is just an automated estimate and should NOT be used for specific dietary needs.
This recipe is not endorsed by Weight Watchers. Points were calculated with the WW app using ingredients as a courtesy. Please do your own calculations for ensured accuracy. Calculating points using nutrition info in this post is not recommended.
Let’s Chat About This Turkey Sweet Potato Skillet:
- Ease: with just a few simple steps and no hard to find ingredients, this recipe is a perfect weeknight dinner option. Though I recommend serving the recipe with steamed rice or quinoa, the recipe itself only takes 1 pan. To save on the extra pan for the rice or quinoa, purchase a pre-cooked package of either.
- Versatility: this sweet potato skillet is also delicious made with ground beef, bison, or ground chicken . So, enjoy it with whichever protein you have on hand.
- Flavor: Mexican-inspired seasonings enhance both turkey and sweet potato well. This recipe also has great depth thanks to fresh minced garlic. I recommend 5 minced cloves. This amount mellows as it cooks down, offering exceptional dimension, but you can reduce the amount of garlic to fit your preferences, if desired.
- Comforting: we love making this skillet for dinner in the fall and winter. The melty cheese, savory spices, and ability for the dish to “fill in all the cracks” leave me feeling satisfied and content, but not in a food coma. It’s a perfect healthy comfort food recipe!
- Family-friendly: with full flavor that will satisfy grown up taste buds, this sweet potato ground turkey skillet still isn’t spicy or overwhelming for kids . It’s a recipe that will satisfy everyone in the family!
You May Like: Best Bulk Meal Prep Recipes
How To Get Perfectly Crispy Roasted Veggies
- Use fresh veggies. Never frozen!
- Choose a large sheet pan so you can spread vegetables in a single layer. I use a 12 x 17 for this recipe. Dont ever pile veggies on top of each other. We want them to touch the bottom of the sheet pan.
- Cut larger vegetables in half.
- Dont skimp on the olive oil.
- Roast at a high temp. I like 425 degrees for vegetables!
Ground Turkey And Potatoes Casserole
This satisfying Meat and Potatoes Casserole features ground beef or turkey sauteed with vegetables, covered in potatoes, and smothered in a light, creamy sauce. Bake the ground turkey and potatoes casserole up tonight for a dinner your family will love and impress everyone with the final result! Also, what is one real benefit of this recipe is its versatility. Not only you can always switch from turkey to ground beef if you are a red meat lover, but also you can add some extra veggies.
Therefore, thats also an amazing way to make some room in your fridge!
First of all, lets see where did my idea of this Ground Turkey and Potatoes Casserole recipe came from Do you like shepherds pie? Well, Ive only had it a couple of times, and I wasnt impressed. However, Im sure it could be good if the mashed potatoes on top were done well.
Unfortunately, the versions Ive had were topped with bland potatoes, which kind of ruined the experience for me. I havent thought Im a mashed potato snob till now, but maybe I am. So, yes, if they arent smothered in gravy, I think they need to be pretty flavorful on their own.
How To Make This Ground Turkey And Sweet Potato Dinner
Use these helpful photos as your guide as you make this recipe.
Ground Turkey And Potatoes
This one-pan ground turkey and potatoes are combined with broccoli for a healthy, wholesome meal the whole family will love!
This quick ground turkey and potatoes dinner idea is to die for! And before you go Oh my gosh, potatoes are starch, carbs and make me fat! I have BIG news for you: potatoes are good for you, especially with skin on. They are full of fiber and complex carbs, combined with lean protein like turkey and stalky/filling greens like broccolini, and you got yourself a bikini body meal! Yes, thats right 216 calories, 4 g of fat, 19 g of carbs and 22 g of protein.
I totally understand my healthy potatoes and boring greens cant compete with all that cheese and simple carbs craziness happening on foodgawker, but I could care less. Im in for a long haul of healthy and happy life. Haha, I hope you are with me. Then I have an easy stovetop dinner for you, that you can quickly throw together after work. And kids will love it too, unless they dont like broccoli. There I cant help you.:)
You May Like: Beginner Dinner Recipes For Two
Turkey And Mashed Potatoes Casserole
Happy day after Thanksgiving!
Quick post today, guys, cause I have a feeling you might still be worn out from yesterdays feast!
And I can bet you are now puzzledly looking at all those leftovers, thinking Why do I always have to make so much food? while hopelessly pulling your hair.
But what if I told you there is a way to revamp all that food into something delicious?
No, not a sandwich! We all know turkey sandwiches are great, but this year we are looking for something better. So I see your turkey sandwich and I raise you a Turkey and Mashed Potatoes Casserole! Ta-daaaaaaaa!
Tim and I decided to go low key this Thanksgiving. We chose to stay home watching the last Hunger Games, getting ready to maybe go see the new one today this weekend!
And, since I made a turkey for the blog last Sunday, we had a lot of turkey leftovers this week. You see, my husband has no problems eating leftovers all week long. Me, on the other hand, not so much! Especially turkey There is something about reheated turkey that just makes me flinch.
So, I took Antoine Lavoisiers advice In nature nothing is wasted, nothing is created, everything is transformed. and transformed our leftovers into an amazing, easy casserole that is inspired by the Brazilian version of a shepherds pie: escondidinho!
You could also add some requeijão and/or whatever veggies you have left, like carrots or brussels sprouts, to the filling. Some olives might be good too!
Why Youll Love This Recipe:
- Its made in ONE skillet! Does it get any better than that!
- Its so simple to make and is so good!
- Its full of protein, carbs and fat making it a well balanced meal to have during the week
- All you need are a couple of ingredients!
- Its great when you dont know what you want to make!
- Makes for even better leftovers
Recommended Reading: Keto Recipes Without Almond Flour
Healthy Taco Turkey And Potato Skillet
Taco turkey and potato skillet has your favorite taco flavors mixed in with ground turkey and diced potatoes and veggies for an easy one-pot dinner!
Happy Tuesday everyone!
Hows your week going? Im doing just fine and dandy and am doubly excited to share todays post.
Ive got a great, easy, one-pot dinner recipe for you today.
Its a healthy taco turkey and potato skillet that combines my undying love of potatoes with tasty taco goodness. Easy, healthy, delicious all the things Im after in a meal
Now, Ive got some tips, notes and substitutions coming up on how to make this taco turkey potato skillet recipe. Just tryin to be helpful.
If you want to jump on down to the recipe, simply scroll right on through the rest of the text. The recipe card is near the bottom of the page, above the comments section.
More Easy Healthy Family Dinners
Now that you have this recipe in your back pocket, here are a few more dinner recipes to try:
- Healthy Hamburger Soup loaded with vegetables and extra lean ground beef. Its the perfect soup for busy weeknights.
- Roasted Chicken with Root Vegetables this recipe makes a juicy tender chicken with a side of beautifully colored carrots, parsnips, rutabaga and brussels sprouts. All cooked in one dish.
- Sheet Pan Fajitas everything is cooked on a sheet pan and then wrapped in flour tortillas. Its quick and fast and perfect for a theme night like taco Tuesday or fun Friday.
- Bruschetta Chicken one of my personal favorites. Healthy chicken breasts are surrounded by fresh tomatoes and basil. I cant get enough of this recipe.
- Sweet and Sour Sausageanother one-pan recipe with sausage, onions and pineapple all cooked in one skillet. Serve with rice and its a great weekday meal.
- Chickpea Zucchini Stir Fry Wraps the base of the wraps is created with a fast stir fry of chickpeas, veggies, and homemade taco seasoning perfect for a fast weeknight dinner.
You May Like: Recipe For Cooking Fresh Green Beans
How To Make This Ground Turkey Skillet Dinner:
Ground turkey recipes are great for WW plans because they are low in points and filling! Lets get started with this family favorite.
In a large cast iron skillet, heat olive oil over medium-high heat. Add garlic and cook for 1 minute and then add ground turkey. Use a wooden spoon to break apart meat and continue cooking approximately 8 minutes until browned.
Add cumin, chili powder, salt and pepper. Stir well to incorporate.
Add onion and bell pepper, and cook for 3-4 minutes.
Add diced sweet potato and water.
Stir and cover with a lid for approximately 6-8 minutes until the sweet potatoes soften.
Add additional water during this process if needed to keep the meat from drying out.
Remove lid and add additional salt and pepper if needed. Top with shredded mozzarella and allow it to melt.
Remove skillet from heat and garnish with fresh cilantro before serving.