Tips For Roasting Zucchini And Squash
- Trim the stem but dont peel the skin. Wash thoroughly and pat dry.
- Cut each piece to a similar size, whether you cut it into rounds or spears. This helps with even baking.
- Thicker pieces make it easier to avoid soggy veggies, so unless youre dehydrating them into chips under low and slow heat, cut them to at least 1/2 inch thick for rounds, or quartered for spears.
- If you have a rack, use it to lay your squash on top of the baking sheet. Airflow all around will help it crisp up evenly.
- Do not overcrowd the pan causing too much steam transferring from one piece to another. Bake in batches or on two separate sheets if necessary.
- Finish under the broiler for a nice extra crispy texture. If you have sprinkled them with parmesan cheese after baking, placing them under the broiler will give it a nice golden crusty coating.
Best Way To Cook Zucchini And Squash
As I mentioned, this recipe is simple to prepare and just as simple to clean up. Everything is mixed together in one large bowl and then roasted to perfection on a large baking sheet.
How To Make Roasted Zucchini In Oven
This recipe for baked zucchini and squash is easy and fast. Youll want to use it with all your favorite squash and you can!
Summer Squash Tips: If youre making this recipe with summer squashes follow the directions below.
Winter Squash Tips: And if you want to make this ranch baked squash recipe with a winter squash scrape out the seeds and peel the rind while youre cutting the squash. Youll want to discard any thick rinds and large seeds from winter squashes.
Don’t Miss: Margarita Recipe With Agave And Cointreau
More Roasted Vegetable Options
- Roasted Zucchini and Squash. Feel free to use a mix of yellow squash and zucchini in this recipe or use the recipe to cook yellow squash only.
- Roasted Zucchini and Cherry Tomatoes. Replace half of the zucchini with 1 to 2 cups of cherry tomatoes. Omit the baking rack. Toss the vegetables together with the olive oil, Parmesan, and spices. Roast the tomatoes on one side of the sheet pan and the zucchini on the other. Toss the cherry tomatoes once halfway through.
- Roasted Zucchini and Onions. Replace one of the zucchini with a small red or yellow onion. Omit the baking rack. Cut the zucchini and onion into chunks . Bake at 425 degrees F for 20 minutes, tossing the vegetables once halfway through.
Oil Free Roasted Butternut Squash
Once again this recipe is refined oil free. I use vegetable broth instead of oil and the vegetables roast just fine. If oil doesn’t bother you, you can skip the broth and just coat your veggies in oil instead for a more traditional taste.
What are you favorite veggies to roast in the oven?! Comment below.
Let’s be friends on instagram:
Don’t Miss: Healthy Zucchini Recipes For Weight Loss
This Is One Of Our Favorite Zucchini And Yellow Squash Side Dish Recipes
Give this a try and you will see why we all love it so much. It is so easy to fix and just really flavorful and amazing to eat.
You cant go wrong with this simple recipe and the outcome is so delicious. With just a few ingredients, you can whip this together and expensively for a side dish your family will love.
Let us know once you try it and how everyone likes it!
How To Store Roasted Zucchini
In general, I do not recommend freezing zucchini due to its high water content. Frozen zucchini becomes mushy when thawed.
Roasted Zucchini, however, is easy to store in your refrigerator! Heres how:
- After the Roasted Zucchini has cooled completely, transfer it to an airtight container and refrigerate.
- Roasted Zucchini can last in the refrigerator for up to 4 days.
- To reheat Roasted Zucchini: Arrange it in a single layer on a lightly oiled baking sheet. Reheat at 400 degrees F, just until the zucchini is hot. Do not overbake, or it will become soggy.
Also Check: Easy Pancake Recipe For Kids
Tips And Tricks For Perfect Roasted Squash And Zucchini
Although making roasted squash and zucchini is pretty straightforward, we will have to take care of a few things for better results:
- Make sure all the slices are of equal sizes. This way, the vegetables will cook evenly.
- If you dont want to slice the vegetables, you can dice them into small pieces as well. Diced vegetables also cook at the same time. Again, make sure they are even in size.
- Most people prefer not to peel the vegetables. It is convenient and saves time as well. However, if you dont like the skin, you can peel it before cooking.
- You can add more vegetables like onions to make the dish more vibrant.
- If you dont want to add whole garlic cloves, you can add garlic powder as well.
- To bring in more flavor, add jerk seasoning to the vegetables. It will taste great.
Soggy Roasted Zucchini Culprit Two: Overbaking
Unlike harder vegetables , zucchini has a high water content. That means that if you overbake it, the water will seep out and your zucchini will be soggy.
Cutting the zucchini into larger pieces is a nice safety net. Larger pieces are harder to overcook. Its another reason I love slicing the zucchini into spears.
Don’t Miss: Essential Oil Recipe For Varicose Veins
How To Pick Zucchini
If you’re wondering what zucchini or summer squash to pick for a flavorful sauteed side dish, remember to opt for smaller, softer vegetables.
As zucchini and summer squash grow, they take on more water and swell – losing some flavor.
Too-big zucchini and squash also have many more flavorless seeds, and the skin can become tougher and too chewy.
Best Way To Roast Zucchini
There is a flaw with every roasted zucchini recipe, which Im sure we have all have fell victim to.
Roasting vegetables is simple, right? Toss cut veggies with oil and salt, and throw them in the oven until golden, caramelized, and brown.
Unfortunately this yields bad results with high water content vegetables like zucchini and summer squash. Salting them before roasting draws out even more moisture which leads to limp, bland looking veggies.
The best way to bake zucchini is to simply toss in olive oil and garlic first, without the seasoning, just like in the lemon garlic sauteed zucchini recipe. Oven roast until golden, then season to your hearts delight!
Read Also: New York Times Recipe Box
Easy Sauted Squash And Zucchini Recipe
Published: · · About 4 minutes to read this article.
The Best Easy Sautéed Squash and Zucchini Recipe – delicious keto sautéed squash and zucchini – perfect alongside any dinner.
If you have tons and tons of zucchini from your garden every year, you’re probably wondering what you can do with all the extra vegetables.
This easy sauteed zucchini and summer squash recipe is one of my favorite easy keto side dishes – it is loaded with flavor, takes less than 15 minutes to make, and pairs with just about any dinner.
You can make it completely vegan , you can add different herbs or spices that you like, and you can add it into salads, tacos, burritos, pastas, sandwiches, pasta salads, soups, and more!
These are seriously the most delicious sautéed vegetables and so quick – you’ll crave this side every night!
And don’t forget to check out one of my oldest and most loved recipes on Sweet C’s – my easy grilled yellow squash recipe.
Here at Sweet C’s, we have lots of types of readers – those who like to get straight to the recipe, and those who would like more information, including tips and tricks to feeling more comfortable in the kitchen.
Easy Veggies: Roasted Zucchini And Yellow Squash
Throughout this little Paleo journey Ive embarked upon, Ive realized just how important it is to spruce up them veggies. The Paleo Plate guide Im going off of says that each meal should comprise of 2/3 veggies, but Im used to focusing on other parts of the meal and considering veggies just a side item! Theyre the main event!
FOR THE WIN!!!!!!!
This recipe is pretty easy, except for the slicing . Its based off this recipe from the Food Network.
Roasted Zucchini and Yellow Squash
1 teaspoon garlic powder, plus extra to taste1 teaspoon ground black pepper, plus extra to taste1 teaspoon chili powder, plus extra to taste
Slice the zucchini and yellow squash into discs. Toss in a bowl with olive oil and one teaspoon each garlic powder, chili powder, and black pepper.
Lay the as flat as possible on a baking sheet.
That looked pretty bland to me, so I sprinkled on some more spices. Sprinkle more of the spices over the zucchini and squash mixture, to taste.
Bake at 450ºF for 15-20 minutes, stirring once, until cooked through. And enjoy!
Don’t Miss: Chocolate Pudding Recipe With Cocoa Powder
Roasted Zucchini And Summer Squash With Tomatoes
July 22, 2016 By Vicki
Roasted zucchini and summer squash are a great pair with tomatoes! Paired with parmesan and garlic, you have nearly everything delicious from Italian Cuisine!
Whether you serve this recipe straight from the baking dish, or transfer it to a platter, it is sure to have visual appeal for your guests.
One of the things I really like about this recipe is that it requires only one bowl and one baking dish fro prep. That means easy cleanup for the person washing dishes. Which in my family would be my husband. I am blessed!
- 1/2tspitalian seasoning
- 1mediumyellow squashsliced
- 3/4cparmesan cheeseshredded
- 3leavesfresh basilfor garnish
My Tip For Making This Recipe:
Line your sheet pan with foil before you cook the veggies. This will make cleaning up a ton easier. This can get a little messy with all the gooey, melty cheese.
Begin by cutting the squash and zucchini in to half inch thick slices. Then, in a bowl mix together garlic and olive oil. Then toss the squash and zucchini in mixture. Line the slices up on the sheet pan then cover with Parmesan cheese. Place in a 350º oven for 30 minutes or until cheese is bubbly and golden brown. Season with fresh cracked black pepper and serve immediately.
Happy Cooking Yall!
Recommended Reading: Vegan Recipes Everyone Will Love
Spices For Roasted Zucchini
This recipe includes my go-to combination of Italian seasoning, Parmesan, and lemon. Its always a crowd pleaser and goes with just about anything.
For more options, you can also:
- Add a pinch of red pepper flakes for heat.
- Add a clove of minced garlic.
- Swap the Italian seasoning for chili powder and the lemon juice for lime.
- Top the Roasted Zucchini with fresh herbs. Dill and basil are two of my favorites.
- Swap the Parmesan for crumbled feta. Sprinkle the feta on after the zucchini has baked.
One Pot Cheesy Taco Skillet
One Pot Cheesy Taco Skillet this easy, delicious, veggie packed beef taco skillet meal is quick and great for a budget- as well as a low carb diet! Easy cheesy beef taco skillet dinner that is perfect for burrito bowls, salads, skillet tacos, and more with tons of hidden vegetables that kids will eat!
Also Check: Keto Pork Chop Recipes Oven
Tip For Roasted Zucchini And Squash And Onions:
One of our favorite time saving tips is to use a small food chopper or food processor to quickly and easily chop onions.
If you do not have one of these, I highly recommend them. They are such a time saver and you make cooking so fast and easy.
I usually just chop the entire vegetable and freeze what I dont need. Its so nice to be able to just take the diced onion out of the freezer for recipes.
This is how I meal prep. Its so quick and easy and helps get dinner on the table fast.
Learn and how to freeze onions and also how to freeze peppers to save so much time in the kitchen! Lots of the recipes we cook call for onions and peppers so this is such a great time tip that we use frequently.
What To Serve With Roasted Squash And Zucchini
Roasted squash and zucchini are the perfect side dish for your main course. Furthermore, you can also use these in a few different ways. Here are a few ideas:
- Tacos: Fill your tacos with roasted squash and zucchini to enjoy a unique flavor this summer. I bet you will love it.
- Burritos: Roasted squash and zucchini is a perfect ingredient to fil your burritos. These go so well for a Breakfast Burrito or lunch. Thus, an ideal way to enjoy your vegetables.
- Pasta: Serve these vegetables with pasta topped with Vegan Cheese Sauce or Pesto. The flavors will go so well, and it will turn into a quick and scrumptious meal.
- Rice: You can also serve these roasted vegetables with Garlic Rice. Turn them into fried rice or serve them separately. Either way, they will taste so good.
Recommended Reading: Best Baked Chicken Breast Recipe
How To Roast Zucchini
Youll see a lot of recipes for baked zucchini. They might look a little bit like this recipe, however, we call our recipe roasted zucchini because of the high cooking temperature. High heat means that the zucchini gets a lovely, flavor-making bit of blisterand it also means that in terms of how long to roast zucchini, its in and out of the oven in just minutes. Heres the steps for the best way to cook zucchini, you ave our word.
How Do You Keep Zucchini From Getting Soggy
High heat helps to prevent the veggie from becoming soggy. You can also try salting zucchini before hand and letting the veggie sit a few minutes before baking. This will release some of the moisture.
This step isnt necessary though as I have found just the high heat alone seems to produce the perfect zucchini.
You May Like: Mcdonalds Steak Egg And Cheese Bagel Recipe
Roasted Butternut Squash With Zucchini Yellow Squash And Dates
You can totally skip out on the rest of the veggies and have roasted butternut squash alone, but if you have these other veggies on hand, or want more variety in color then you won’t go wrong adding zucchini and yellow squash in to the mix.
Also, did someone say dates?! In my mixed veggies?!
Yes, I said dates! Who’s roasted dates before? Because this girl hadn’t. And boy was I missing out.
I want to thank my friend Karlie, over from Diet Confessionals, for sharing her Roasted Butternut Squash With Dates And Thyme recipe with me and giving me the genius idea of roasting dates!
It was a fantastic addition to my roasted butternut squash and paired nicely with the savory taste of the zucchini and yellow squash.
The dates give this savory dish the perfect touch of sweetness along with the squash. If you prefer to leave the dates out, that’s okay too!
Small Zucchini And Squash Are Preferable But Not Required
For roasted zucchini and squash, it looks prettier to have veggies that are on the smaller side. That way, they make lovely bite-sized rounds. Sometimes, summer zucchini can be massive! You can use it here, but wed recommend slicing the rounds in half. Also very large zucchini and squash can tend to have very large seeds, which dont taste as good as the smaller versions. So look for small to medium small vegetables.
You May Like: Best Smoothie Recipes For Pregnancy
What Youll Find In This Article:
- Ranch Flavored Roasted Zucchini Ingredients
- How to Make Roasted Zucchini in Oven
- Ranch Flavored Oven Baked Zucchini
- Nutrition and Calories in Ranch Baked Zucchini Slices
Helpful Tip for Shopping: Take a screenshot of the shopping list to your phone. This way you have it at your fingertips the next time you go grocery shopping.
Recipe Card Uses: You can email yourself this recipe card so you can easily search for it Or print it so you have it handy, and can make notes. You can even pin this ranch baked zucchini squash to Pintrest so it is safely stored for you.
Up next, a shopping list for ranch flavored oven roasted zucchini