Are Breakfast Smoothies Good For Weight Loss
- Filling breakfast smoothies that are high in protein and low in calories can be good for weight loss. Choosing hearty breakfast smoothies will help make sure you arent starving by mid-morning.
- See the Healthy Breakfast Smoothies for Weight Loss category below for recipe ideas.
Note: The above is a general guideline. For more information or specific recommendations for your own diet, please contact a nutritionist or your doctor.
Healthy Breakfast Smoothie Recipes
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
If youre looking for a great way to start the day, weve got you covered! These healthy breakfast smoothie recipes are quick, easy, and there is something for everyone!
Leave a comment below and let us know what your favorite additions to a smoothie are!
Breakfast Smoothies are a great way to start the day but dont stop there. These healthy smoothies make for a quick snack any time of day or even can be served as a vitamin-packed treat for little ones! The best thing about smoothies is you can make them with almost anything and theyre fast!
Why Make Breakfast Smoothies
Best flavor combo: The combination of strawberries and bananas + protein powder + oatmeal + peanut butter is just the perfect mix to kick-start your day.
Healthy breakfast idea: this healthy breakfast is high protein, made with real fruit, and packed with healthy fats.
High protein: 12g protein/serving. Yes, please!
Also Check: Tasty Diet Recipes For Weight Loss
Detox Green Smoothie With Chia Seeds
If you havent tried chia seeds yet, heres a great opportunity. These tiny but mighty seeds are packed with omega-3 fatty acids that are great for your heart. They also help you stay fuller longer, thanks to its plant protein power. Combined with spinach, unsweetened almond milk, frozen pineapple, and naturally sweet banana, this tasty mixture is the ultimate breakfast treat.
Is It Healthy To Have A Smoothie For Breakfast
Smoothies can make a healthy breakfast if you have a good balance of ingredients and nutrientsincluding protein, carbs, and healthy fats. Smoothies that heavily rely on veggies over fruit instantly cut down on sugar and increase the fiber content. You also want to avoid adding a lot of fruit juice and sweeteners, like syrups and honey, to limit the sweet stuff. Adding yogurt and protein powder helps make smoothies more filling, so youll stay satisfied longer. Just be sure to choose powders that have little to no added sugar and have zero artificial ingredients.
The liquid bases you use in your smoothie also play a big role. Skip fruit juices, which are packed with sugar and lack protein and fat, and go for low-fat milk or an unsweetened, non-dairy milk alternative, like almond, coconut, or cashew. Some non-dairy milks have less protein than cows milk, but they offer healthy fats to keep you satiated.
Read Also: Best Smoothie Recipes For Pregnancy
How To Make A Smoothie Without Bananas:
Bananas are the backbone of my simple smoothie recipes. They add so much creaminess, and natural sweetness while being inexpensive. That being said, I know not everyone likes/eats bananas. If you arent into bananas, you can add some Greek yogurt + sweetener + ice OR a half of an avocado + sweetener + ice. Those two combos will replace a banana nicely in a smoothie and still give you a nice rich and smooth texture.
Green Smoothie Ingredients & Substitutions
- Banana: this makes a great base for the smoothie and really covers up the taste of any greens. Its best to go for frozen bananas to create a really thick and creamy smoothie. Sub out bananas for frozen avocado or coconut meat.
- Mango: this is another one of my favourite ingredients to use in smoothies. Again, using frozen mango can help to give your smoothie a creamy texture. Mango is also packed with vitamins and the perfect fruit to enjoy in the morning! Substitute with pineapple or frozen cauliflower
- Spinach: the greens! Spinach is the simplest go-to green to use for a green smoothie. It doesnt have a strong or overpowering taste and blends up easily.You can swap this out for kale if you prefer
- Chia seeds: You know Im a big fan of chia seeds for all their amazing health benefits! Chia is great to add to a smoothie for some omega-3s and fibre. Chia also helps keep you feeling full. You can sub the chia seeds for flax seeds.
- Almond milk: If you can, go for some homemade almond milk for the best taste. You can also substitute any type of plant-based milk you love. My other favourite to use is coconut milk!
Recommended Reading: Sipping Pretty Palette
You May Like: Pretzel Dip Recipe Cream Cheese
How To Meal Prep Smoothies
Believe it or not, you can meal prep smoothies in a variety of ways!
The basic premise is that you add all your fillings, then add the milk/Greek yogurt fresh the day you go to make them. You can make a ton of different combos in advance and then you have your smoothies meal prepped and waiting for you without the hassle of getting everything out.
This method is great for when you have to get out the door fast but you still want a freshly blended smoothie.
How Long Will Healthy Smoothies Last in the Fridge?
You can also blend a few smoothies up to 3 days in advance I find that just like cold-pressed juices, smoothies will last a few days in the fridge. They won’t quite be as good as fresh, but nothing in the smoothie is necessarily going to go bad so you can make a few at a time to enjoy later.
I wouldn’t recommend leaving them past 3 days because the bananas or other leafy greens can go bad but you do have a couple days to enjoy.
Recommended Tools For Making Smoothies
- Blender. I more recently purchased this high-powered blender, and it makes everything very smooth and creamy. This more economical blender optionis also great, though you may need to add more liquid or add the frozen fruit more slowly.
- Stainless Steel Straws. These stainless steel strawsmake everything you drink through them taste so refreshing. I try to keep some in my purse, so I dont need to ask for a plastic or paper straw when Im out. Theyre great for taking smoothies to go as well.
- Opaque Cup. A great way to make green-colored breakfast smoothies for kids.
Now, lets get to those healthy breakfast smoothies!
Also Check: Vegetable Smoothie Recipes For Weight Loss
Equipment For Healthy Smoothies
Having the right equipment is key to making healthy smoothies.
- The Vitamix personal series is great for making just one or two smoothies at a time
- So is the Magic Bullet or Nutri Bullet the only hang up here is that I find I have to replace these models once every couple years or so because the motor eventually burns out
- The Vitamix Ascent series is my fave though it’s self-cleaning so you aren’t left with a ton of mess and it’s perfect for if you’re prepping 3-4 smoothies at a time. It can tear through anything to make the smoothest smoothie, even ice!
You can of course get a mid-range blender too, really any blender will work. But if it takes 3 or more tries to get that smooth texture without all the lumps, it can be a frustrating experience.
See how often you’re going to be making smoothies and if it’s going to be a consistent thing for you, your best bet is to invest in a high-powered blender that can minimize the time you spend making healthy smoothies.
+ Healthy Smoothie Recipes
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
This roundup includes over 30 Healthy Smoothie recipes including fruit smoothie recipes, weightloss smoothie recipes, breakfast smoothie recipes and SO many more! Im sure youll find a smoothie here to love.
Hopefully you know by now that I LOVE a good smoothie recipe. I have SO many good ones here on my blog so I wanted to round them all up in one place for you. I split this list up into 3 common smoothie categories: healthy smoothies, green smoothies, and smoothie bowls.
Theres something here for everyone and Im sure that youll find more than one new smoothie to love 🙂
I love creating new smoothie flavor combos so please let me know if you ever have a suggestions or recipe recommendation! Im also always experimenting on so follow along there for even more recipes!
Read Also: 15 Month Old Baby Food Recipes
What Makes These Smoothies Healthy
As a registered dietitian, Ive made sure that all of the smoothie recipes shared here meet the following requirements that make them a healthy option:
What Do You Put In A Breakfast Smoothie
- Healthy Fats. Your favorite nut butter, coconut milk, or chia seeds. This makes the smoothie more satisfying and keeps you full between meals. Keep portions in mind I usually add about 1 tablespoon.
- Protein and Fiber Additions. Greek yogurt or your favorite protein powder are easy ways to make breakfast protein smoothies. A tablespoon of oatmeal adds fiber.
- Fruit. Breakfast fruit smoothies are always a crowd-pleasing choice. Strawberries and blueberries are my go-tos. Bananas make smoothies naturally sweet. Mango and pineapple can hide the taste of greens. Unexpected fruits like apples or watermelon can be scrumptious too.
- Vegetables. Spinach, kale, avocado, carrots, and even beets can all be added to smoothies.
- Flavor Additions. Vanilla, cinnamon, honey, maple syrup, and dates are all excellent ways to give your smoothie more flavor.
- Liquid. Unsweetened almond milk is my favorite for smoothies. You can also use juice , a different kind of milk, coconut water, or even plain water.
Recommended Reading: Good Rum And Coke Recipe
Healthy Breakfast Smoothie Recipes For Weight Loss
The morning energy boost you need.
Its breakfast time and youre hungry. You want something that can be made quickly and that’s also good-for-your bod. Makes sense! Heres what you should whip up: a healthy breakfast smoothie. Its so darn easypack your blender with all kinds of goodies like fruits, veggies, protein, fats, and more, turn it on, and boom, you have breakfast.
What should you include in a breakfast smoothie? Make sure your breakfast smoothies are rich in protein, otherwise you will most likely be hungry way before lunchtime, explains Keri Gans, RDN, author of The Small Change Diet. Also, a little fat and fiber is needed for satiety as well as overall nutrition, she notes.
And if youre looking for some great ingredients to include in your smoothies, Gans recommends any type of berry, banana, spinach, kale, avocado, low-fat plain Greek yogurt, low-fat milk, non-dairy milk alternative that includes protein, chia seeds, flax seeds, hemp seeds, and nut butter.
Okay, its time for some serious recipe inspo. Keep scrolling for 40 of the best breakfast smoothie recipes to add to your morning routine. Get sipping.
How To Make A Green Smoothie For Weight Loss
Smoothies are a great breakfast option if you are looking to lose some weight. They are light and fresh and loaded with healthy ingredients. The only problem is some smoothies can be loaded with a ton of sugar and some smoothies you buy at a smoothie shop are way oversized, so you want to make sure your green smoothie is well balanced.
- To keep sugar to a minimum, try adding less than 1 cup of fruit in total to your smoothie.
- Use ingredients like frozen cauliflower or frozen zucchini to help bulk up your smoothie.
- Then for the liquid, avoid adding juice which has a ton of extra sugar, and instead opt for some sugar-free nut milk or water.
Read Also: Smoothie King Center Seating Chart With Rows
Read Also: Nice Recipes To Make At Home
Tropical Papaya Perfection Smoothie
This coconut-infused breakfast smoothie tastes just as decadent as a milkshake. One sip will immediately transport you to a tropical island.
Cut 1 papaya into chunks and blend it with 1 cup of fat-free, plain yogurt, 1/2 cup fresh pineapple chunks, 1/2 cup crushed ice, 1 tsp. coconut extract, and 1 tsp. ground flaxseed. Process the mixture for about 30 seconds, or until its smooth and frosty.
Nutrition :299 calories, 1.5 g fat, 13 g protein, 64 g carbs , 44 g sugars
How To Make Breakfast Smoothies
These smoothies are so easy and so convenient and they are such a great way to get your vitamins, minerals, and fiber! Here is the printable recipe card for your convenience
You May Like: Best Smoked Pulled Pork Recipe
Even If Your Morning Routine Is More Like A Hectic Morning Rush These Smoothie Recipes Make For A Quick And Easy Breakfast That Can Help You Jumpstart Your Day
If your morning routine is more like a hectic morning rush, you may think you don’t have time for a healthy breakfast, but a smoothie is a quick and easy meal that can be made in minutes. It’s an excellent way to power your morning and get a boost from nutrient rich fruits and veggies.
Even if you’re unsure about adding another item to your morning to-do list, there are many effortless strategies for prepping your smoothies in advance. Over the weekend or on an evening when you have some extra time, you can portion your smoothies in single serving freezer bags. On a busy morning, you can simply pull out a smoothie pack of frozen fruits and mix-ins, empty it into your blender with the liquid of your choice, and blend.
If over time your new morning smoothie routine becomes too, well, routine, you can easily change up your smoothie recipe. With just a few tips, its easy to customize your smoothie and create new combinations. Whether you prefer your breakfast bright and fruity or sweet and nutty, theres a healthy, delicious smoothie recipe that will help you jumpstart your morning.
Creating A Healthy Breakfast Smoothie
A breakfast protein smoothie can provide sustainable energy without the crash through simple, whole food carbs. They also contain necessary fiber to break down those carbs, along with healthy fats.
These natural fats help the body feel full, minimizing cravings throughout the day. Breakfast smoothies for weight loss are super easy to create, taste incredible, and are for real healthy. Kale yeah!
The 4 recipes highlighted below are delicious, yet don’t be afraid to create your own breakfast smoothies too! Here are a few tips to becoming a smoothie creating machine.
- Follow the 1.5-1-1 rule: this means 1.5 cups of fruit, 1 cup leafy greens, 1 cup liquid
- To stay full longer + have sustainable energy boost that smoothie with a healthy fat + protein
- Use seasonal fruits as well as veggies to get the most bang for your buck when it comes to nutrients
Also Check: Easy Healthy Recipes For Two
Easy Healthy Smoothie Recipes
This collection of 14 dietitian-created easy, healthy smoothie recipes will show you that smoothies can be one of the BEST ways to start your day! These smoothies are designed with balanced nutrition in mind, which make them a filling breakfast complete with fiber, protein, healthy fats, and energizing carbs. All recipes are gluten-free with many vegan options.Enjoy!
Its no secret that smoothies are one of my favourite breakfast options, all year long. Theyre such an awesome way to pack in a ton of nutrients and even veggies first thing in the morning.
I so hope you enjoy these smoothie recipes as much as I do. If you try any of them or have any future smoothie recipe requests, please let me know in the comments!
In this post, Ive rounded up 14 healthy smoothie recipes from my blog and also shared some details if youd like to explore the following:
A Good Blender Is Worth It
I got a Blendtec just over 2 years ago, and I can never go back to a normal blender again. Mine tells me how many times Ive used it and Im a few smoothies away from 800 blends! Thats amazing, and it also shows how much I have used it. A good blender will whip you up a thick delicious smoothie with no chunks in about 45 seconds. If you are going to go green on any of your smoothies, a good blender is the key to getting all those healthy leafy greens to blend and have a great texture. I love my high power blender and highly recommend one.
Also Check: Black Vegan Soul Food Recipes