Keep The Dressing Simple
There are plenty of different ways to make the dressing for chicken salad use Greek yogurt or Miracle Whip, add vinegar or mustard, try it with herbs and spicesbut Im keeping this recipe super simple.
For this dressing, mix a good quality mayonnaise with fresh lemon juice and kosher salt with freshly ground black pepper. Thats it.
If you are a fan of Miracle Whip, add 2 teaspoons of granulated sugar to the mayo to sweeten things up.
To Make Egg Salad Sandwiches
Mash the yolks with mayonnaise until completely smooth and then fold in the whites. This makes for the best egg salad, it comes out so creamy!
I use an egg slicer to chop the whites placing the white in the slicer, cut and then turn the egg and placing it through again. Make the chopping really quick! I use my egg slicer for other things too like strawberries, kiwi and its especially great for cutting mushrooms to make chicken marsala.
Delicious Chicken Salad Recipe:
Chicken Salad is always a hit during the summertime BBQ, sitting by the pool or at a picnic. With very minimal ingredients you can transfer form cooked chicken in a filling salad.
Thankfully, we have done all the work for you and have the best chicken salad recipe. It has the perfect combinations of everything for an amazing chicken salad!
Our entire family loves this and it is so easy to make.
Don’t Miss: 5 Star Challah Bread Recipe
How To Make Quick And Easy Chicken Salad
Letting this sit in the fridge for a bit, helps meld the flavors together. Shoot for at least an hour. In a medium sized bowl combine the chicken, grapes, pecans, green onions, celery, mayonnaise, lemon, and mustard. Salt and pepper to taste. Serve with croissants, romaine, or with crackers. This chicken salad is always so fun for everyone to make their own sandwich or add it on top of green lettuce.
What Makes This Chicken Salad Special
The secret sauce, so to speak, of this chicken salad, is the tablespoon of plum preserves my mom adds to the mayo-based dressing. You could use any berry jelly or jam, but as we always have a lot of plum jam on hand , thats what mom reaches for first.
Mom balances out the sweetness from the dab of jam with a bit of lemon juice.
The result? Wonderful!
Recommended Reading: Liquid Diet Recipes After Bariatric Surgery
How To Cook Chicken For Chicken Salad
If you are going to cook chicken specifically for chicken salad, the easiest thing to do is to poach it.
What I like to do is put a pot of 2 quarts of water and 1 tablespoon salt on to boil. As the water is heating, I cut skinless boneless chicken breasts into large chunks. When the water boils, I add the chicken, and return the pot to a simmer. Then I turn off the heat, and cover the pot and let the meat sit for 15 minutes in the hot water while I prepare everything else. Poaching chicken this way allows the chicken to cook gently, so the chicken retains more moisture.
After the chicken is finished cooking you can save the poaching liquid as light chicken broth.
Poaching aside, you can easily use any cooked chicken for this chicken saladrotisserie chicken, grilled chicken, or roasted chicken. My parents will often use leftovers from their favorite baked chicken, and even include some of the crispy skin in the salad.
What Makes It The Best
- The Chicken: The chicken is boiled gently in salted water . Cooking the chicken gently ensures that it doesnt become tough. Let it rest after being cooked to ensure the juices stay locked in, then dice it up.
- The Dressing: You can use all mayo in this, or a combination of mayo and plain Greek yogurt. Wait for the chicken to fully cool before combining it with mayo to ensure the oil doesnt separate. Also included in the mix is celery, lemon juice, Dijon mustard, salt/pepper, garlic salt, dried dill, and paprika.
- The Add-Ons: A hint of sweetness is obtained from grapes and dried cranberries, which also add a pop of color. Sliced toasted almonds add a nice crunch, and green onions add a great finish.
Don’t Miss: Chamoy Shots With Vodka Recipe
How To Make Rotisserie Chicken Salad
Like most chicken salad recipes, chicken salad made with rotisserie chicken is very easy to whip up!
For full, printable instructions, reference the recipe card at the bottom of the post.
Combine The Salad And Dressing
It’s time to assemble the salad. Just pour the mayonnaise mixture over the bowl the chicken and mix thoroughly so that everything is well combined. The chicken, veggies, and fruit pairing is a match made in heaven.
“The taste is light and refreshing, with the creaminess of the mayonnaise being complemented by the crispness of the celery and the sweet apple,” Bryant raves. “The lemon adds a lovely tang, and the dill provides herbal notes. For a dish with relatively few ingredients, it has a lot going on flavor-wise!”
Also Check: The Best Plant Based Recipes
What You Need For Ultimate Chicken Salad Recipe
Simple and fresh, this chicken salad will come together quickly. Cook your chicken ahead of time or purchase an already cooked chicken to save on time. This chicken salad will become a favorite to make! The total amounts of ingredients is located in the recipe card.
- Cooked Chicken: chopped or shredded chicken is best.
- Grapes: I used red grapes, they are a bit sweeter than green. Slice in half or cut into cubes.
- Pecans: You can purchase chopped pecans for this salad.
- Green onions: I like to finely chop the green onions for a bit of a kick in each bite.
- Celery: Finely diced using a knife or a shredder.
- Mayonnaise: Do not use salad dressing, it will alter the taste.
- Juice from ½ lemon: Yes, you can use bottled.
- Dijon Mustard: Adds the perfect amount of zippy flavor to this chicken salad.
- Salt and pepper: Add to taste!
How To Serve Chicken Salad
Theres plenty of ways to serve chicken salad to delight every eater:
- Serve in croissants or on toasted thick cuts of whole wheat bread
- Mound chicken salad on top of fresh greens or cooked rotini pasta for an easy ladies-who-lunch salad
- Nestle a scoop of chicken salad in avocado halves
- Scoop out the center of a large tomato or cooked artichoke and stuff with chicken salad
Don’t Miss: Crab Ceviche Recipe With Clamato
Chicken Salad With Grapes Recipe
Dinner 5 mins
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
This Chicken Salad with Grapes Recipe makes a quick, delicious meal! It also has roasted nuts for the best chicken salad recipe and makes a great chicken salad sandwich too!
Chicken salad has to be one of the most perfect dishes for an easy meal at home or to take to a picnic or potluck. This recipe is absolutely full of amazing flavor, is simple to make and is positively the best chicken salad Ive ever eaten!
I think this chicken salad recipe is such a delicious one because the generous amount of chicken is combined with fruit and toasted pecans for a savory crunch and flavor thats a hit every time! Its a recipe that I turn to time and time again for family meals, picnics, and parties. And you just have to try this for the best chicken salad sandwich ever!
Crunchy Middle Eastern Chicken Salad
The Spruce Eats / Anita Schecter
Give your chicken salad a Middle Eastern spin with this impressive recipe. Greek yogurt tahini serves as the dressing, and its easy to make with just a few ingredients. Thats mixed with shredded chicken, carrots, almonds, cilantro, and zaatar seasoning, which you can whip up, too. Try this salad on naan bread with baby spinach.
Recommended Reading: Recipes For Cancer Patients To Gain Weight
Poached Chicken For Salads:
Grandmas Easy Chicken Salad
This chicken salad recipe is nostalgic for me! It came from my sweet Grandma.
Every ingredient compliments each other and the mayo dressing has lots of flavor. The chicken is tender and well seasoned, and the celery and sliced almonds give it the BEST crunch.
This recipe is really easy to whip up. Just like Grandma, I love mixing up a big batch and eating it on croissants for weekday lunches or serving at get togethers.
Chicken Salad Recipe Made With Poached Chicken Breasts Mayo Shallot Honey Mustard And Lemon
How To Make Chicken Salad
Prepare a classic chicken salad in 15 minutes with only a few simple ingredients.
For this chicken salad sandwich recipe, any bread will do, thick slices of a baguette or buns/rolls hold up well. This is naturally low carb and its great over a tossed salad as well.
Also Check: Recipes To Lose Fat And Gain Muscle
Behind The Recipe: The Best Homemade Chicken Salad
When ordering a chicken salad for lunch, you really never know what will end up on the plate. Every chef seems to prepare chicken salad differently.
You may get a finely shredded version or large cubes of chicken. Your plate could include all sorts of ingredients like red onions, seeds, dried cranberries, nuts, and even fruit, like seedless grapes.
Likewise, many families have a time-honored classic chicken salad recipe that has been handed down for generations.
Digging in, I found any quality chicken salad recipe starts with creamy and bright ingredients. From there, you can make it your own with any variation of ingredients you like best. That being said, I think youll enjoy mine!
Your shares are how this site grows and I appreciate each one. Do you know someone who would enjoy this recipe? Id love it if you would share it on or on your favorite board!
Tips For This Recipe:
- Either chill the chicken before you make the salad or chill the chicken salad mixture before serving.
- Try adding different mix-ins to your chicken salad: different kinds of nuts, grapes, apples, dried cranberries, dried cherries, avocado, chopped green onion or red onion.
- Cook your chicken ahead of time so that you can make this recipe quickly. Try my Instant Pot Shredded Chicken or Crockpot Shredded Chicken. Cooked chicken will stay fresh for up to 4 days in the refrigerator, so go by the date when your chicken was cooked to figure out how long you can store your chicken salad in the fridge.
- For a low carb lunch, serve chicken salad in lettuce wraps or on top of a spinach salad.
Read Also: Healthy Crockpot Recipes For Weight Loss
Vegetarian Curried Chicken Salad
Chicken salad is so popular that even vegetarians get a craving for it at times. This curried “chicken” salad sandwich is great for meatless Mondays, too. The mock chicken salad is made with cauliflower, cashews, cranberries, onion, and carrot. With the combination of curry powder, ginger, mint, Sriracha, and turmeric, it definitely doesn’t lack flavor, and it’s fantastic on pumpkin bread.
Lemon Roasted Chicken Salad Wrap
If youre the kind of person who loves a jam-packed chicken salad, this should be your go-to recipe. Not only is each layer of the dish full of flavor , but each layer is emphasized by the others. The incorporation of sweet cranberries heightens the acidic lemon in the chicken. The crisp celery and water chestnuts parallel the richness of walnuts. Each element creates balance, solidifying each ingredients role in the recipe.
Get the Recipe: Lemon Roasted Chicken Salad Wrap
Don’t Miss: Best Fried Pork Chop Recipe
Tips And Variations For The Best Chicken Salad
Crunchy, savory, sweet, and a bit creamy chicken salad is the perfect dish.
- Chicken: Use any type of chicken you have on hand. You can use rotisserie, leftover BBQ, roasted, or even broiled chicken. Whatever you use, chop it up or shred it so it is easy to spread, spoon, and eat.
- Grapes: You can use red or green grapes or a combination of both. Green grapes can be a bit tart sometimes and the red grapes add color.
- Nuts: Pecans are a classic but you can substitute them for walnuts, almonds, or cashews. Roast them for a bit of extra flavor.
- Mayonnaise: If you are not a fan of mayo, you can use sour cream or non-fat Greek yogurt.
- Different Fruit: Try chopped apples or dried cranberries.
Chicken Salad With Spicy Mayo Dressing
Super flavourful Chicken Salad With Mayo! On this post, youll learn how to make chicken salad with lettuce, cucumber, cherry tomatoes, red onions, baked chicken breast, boiled egg, plus a delicious spicy mayo dressing that brings this salad to a whole new level!
I know we all love chicken salad sandwich and classic chicken salad, but this Chicken Salad With Mayo recipe will make you love this new variation of chicken salad even more. Its delicious even without the bread, because who needs the bad carbs when you have a bowl full of goodies like this one, right?
This homemade chicken salad is a very simple and easy go-to lunch for your week busy days, but its awesome for potlucks and picnics on the weekend! And you can use leftover chicken to make your life even easier.
I love making chicken salad since its such a filling but light meal like my Easy Chopped Chicken Salad.
How To Make One Pot Chicken And Rice:
The instructions for this recipe break down to a few basic steps. 1) Spice and sear the chicken, 2) Cook the vegetables, 3) Simmer the rice and 4) Cook the chicken. Lets talk details
MAKE THE SPICE MIXTURE: Grab a prep bowl and stir together the rosemary, smoked paprika, garlic powder, salt and pepper.
SEASON THE CHICKEN: Place the trimmed chicken thighs in a bowl and toss with the spice mixture. I like to sprinkle half of the spice mixture over the chicken, toss it together, then repeat with the remaining spice mixture. This makes it easier to distribute the spices evenly.
SEAR THE CHICKEN: Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. If you have an enameled cast-iron skillet, thats a great option for a nice sear on the chicken. Otherwise, try a nonstick skillet. If you prefer to use a stainless steel skillet, youll need to use more oil to stop the chicken from sticking. Sear the chicken thighs about 2 minutes per side. Set the chicken aside on a plate.
SAUTÉ THE VEGGIES: Turn the heat to medium and add a little more olive oil. Add the onion, carrot and celery. Cook until tender, stirring occasionally.
SIMMER THE RICE: Stir in the rice and broth, and bring the mixture to a boil. Reduce the heat, cover and simmer for 25 minutes.
ADD THE HERBS: Stir in the fresh parsley and basil. Serve it up!