What Is Tomato Bisque
You may think of bisque as something made with a seafood stock like from lobster, shrimp, crab and crayfish. Though that is entirely correct, as its French origin would suggest, bisque in modern terminology also refers to any blended soup that is smooth, creamy and velvety in texture. Most recipes would include cream to achieve that signature texture to accompany any of the following: squash, mushrooms and, of course, tomatoes!
Tomato Bisque Vs Tomato Soup
Im probably one of those few who believes that theres a thin difference between a tomato bisque and tomato soup. Personally, tomato soup has more of a liquid-y consistency while bisque has that distinct velvety, sort of heavy thick kind of texture . Another reasoning would be that tomato soups are generally served hot while tomato bisque can be served both hot or cold.
Ingredients For Tomato Basil Soup
Since this is a tomato-based soup, it is important to offset the acidity with some key ingredients. We use a combination of cream, parmesan, and a little sugar to balance the soup.
- Butter use unsalted butter to sautee onions
- Yellow onion it seems like a ton of onion but it dissapears into the soup adding a balanced sweetness
- Garlic youll need 1 Tbsp minced from about 3 cloves
- Crushed tomatoes with their juice, preferably San Marzano tomatoes
- Chicken stock for the best flavor use homemade chicken broth
- Basil chop and add 1/4 cup fresh basil, plus more to serve. Basil leaves are easily bruised so chop by stacking a bunch of leaves then roll them into a log and cut into thin strips.
- Sugar Its just 1 Tbsp, but necessary to combat the tomato acidity.
- Black pepper start with 1/2 tsp and add more to taste
- Whipping cream adds a creaminess to the soup and offsets acidity.
- Parmesan cheese adds saltiness to the soup and balances acidity. Adding parmesan adds enough salt and I usually dont add more.
Recommended Reading: Beef Stew Meat Recipes Crock Pot
Why You Will Love This Recipe
Classic I grew up in the 80s and tomato soup was one of the most common lunches my mom would serve. Soups were super common as classic and retro dishes and we had way less sandwiches than we do now in 2021. If you were kid from before the 90s, you will love this homestyle upgrade.
Comforting All soups have an air of being comforting. From getting sick and being fed soup to simply curling up on the couch with warm bread and soup, nothing says savory and filling like a big bowl of soup.
Skip the can So many people love soups like this but are used to getting them out of a can. And I am not one to knock the ease of canned soup! But once you learn how to make soups FRESH and HOMEMADE with REAL ingredients, there really is no going back.
For Slow Cooker Tomato Soup:
You can also make Tomato Basil Soup in the Instant Pot!
Recommended Reading: S Mores Muddy Buddies Recipe
Easy Tomato Soup Recipe
This Creamy Tomato Soup is easy, comforting, and has a rich flavor profile. Watch the easy video tutorial and youll be craving a bowl of tomato soup paired with a gooey Grilled Cheese Sandwich.
This post may contain affiliate links. Read my disclosure policy.
My husband never loved tomato soup until he tried this Creamy Tomato Soup. The addition of parmesan and just 1/2 cup of cream makes it so satisfying. Its also a quick and easy 30-minute soup that keeps well in the fridge. We love it all year round and whip up a batch any time we are craving Grilled Cheese Sandwiches.
Removing The Tomato Seeds
Whether or not to remove the seeds is a question that seems to be asked a lot. While most people agree to remove them, their reasoning isnt quite right. Many resources claim the seeds are bitter and make the soup taste bad, but I cannot agree with this statement.
I find the seeds to be tannic and loaded with flavor, flavor that you shouldnt discard unless necessary.
That said, I do agree with removing the seeds for this soup because our goal is CREAMY tomato basil bisque. When left in, the seeds add a bit of crunch in an otherwise smooth soup.
A strong blender may be able to break them up, but I find it easier to deseed the tomatoes than to transfer soup to a blender.
After your peel the tomatoes, simply slice them in half and scoop out the seeds with a spoon. Its quite easy to do and its worth the extra step.
Also Check: Tasty Kid Friendly Dinner Recipes
Add More Soup Ingredients And Cook The Soup
Stir in the chicken stock, tomatoes, tomato paste, sugar, 3/4 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper, stirring and scrapping the bottom of the pan for any browned bits . Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to a simmer and cover partially. Cook for about 15-20 minutes, or until all the vegetables are very tender, stirring and scraping the bottom occasionally.
What Type Of Tomato Is Best For Tomato Bisque
Ive tried using fresh, canned and roasted tomatoes for this recipe and all of them are great. But Ive got to say that the roasted tomatoes have a slighter edge with its bolder flavor. Thats just about it, though. On the other hand, if you prefer to use canned tomatoes especially on busy weeknights, make sure to use those good brands of whole and peeled tomatoes for better quality.
Recommended Reading: New York Times Lasagna Recipe
How To Make Instant Pot Tomato Bisque:
- Sauté: Use the sauté function of the IP to cook the vegetables and tomatoes in olive oil. This step will release much of the flavors from these ingredients leading to a deeper and richer flavor of the dish. You can also put the rest of the seasonings and spices at this point.
- Pressure-cook: After sautéing, add in the rest of the ingredients except for the dairy. This is to prevent the curdling of the cream. Seal the IP, set, cook for a few minutes, then, perform the natural pressure release. This will take a few more minutes before you can finally open the IP.
- Blend: Use an immersion blender to puree everything. Adjust the taste by seasoning some more and stir in the dairy.
- Serve: Ladle portions into bowls, garnish, then, serve while still warm.
Here Some Some Ways To Put A Creative Spin On Tomato Bisque Soup Recipe:
- Add fresh sweet corn, cut from from the cob, for texture.
- Add in homemade croutons, or crunchy bacon.
- Add hot sauce and chopped avocado.
- Add a some chile oil and replace cream with coconut milk. So this at the end before stirring. Skip the wine.
- Add a drizzle of honey. Honey does something to tomatoes that I just adore.
- Skip the cream and simply have a great tomato basil soup.
Fresh garden tomato bisque soup is just one of many great tomato recipes made with food from my garden. You might also be interested in the fresh garden tomato sauce.
Also Check: Jordan’s Skinny Syrups Keto Recipes
How To Make Tomato Basil Bisque
In the world of tomato soups, there seems to be many opinions about how to do it right. So I tried quite a few of them. Ive roasted the tomatoes, Ive blanched and peeled the tomatoes, and Ive tossed them in whole, skins and seeds in all.
In the quest for rich tomato goodness Ive used the slow cooker, the stove top, and even the oven. Ive figured out what works, whats worth the effort, and what at the end of the day doesnt matter so much.
The thing I found to be true is that while many of them are right, none of them are exactly wrong. It all comes down to personal preference.
This recipe however, is for creamy tomato basil bisque, so Im going to focus on what gives the creamiest results. Only you can decide if its worth the extra effort.
A Few Things To Know About This Tomato Bisque Soup Recipe
Here are a few things you may want to know before making this soup:
- I wrote the recipe for a crowd or for your family to have enough to freeze for later. If you want just enough for one family meal, just simply cut it in half.
- Seasoning all along the way is key to deep flavor. Season with salt and pepper when you saute the veggies, season again when you add the liquids, and finally season at the end after tasting. But, dont get too heavy-handed at the get go!
- We also loved the kicked-up addition of the hot sauce at the end. I just left it out of the kids bowls.
You May Like: Hidden Valley Ranch Beef Recipes
How To Make Creamy Roasted Tomato Basil Bisque:
- Gather up 3 to 3 ½ pounds of fresh tomatoes. Cut them into chunks and remove seeds where possible.
- Cut a large onion into chunks.
- Peel 2 large carrots and cut them into even pieces that are about ½-inch in width and approximately 1 to 2 inches in length.
- Add a bunch of peeled garlic cloves.
- Drizzle on a fair amount of olive oil. I used a good, robust extra virgin olive oil.
- Roast all that at 450 degrees for about a half-hour or so.
- The tomatoes should be ridiculously melty soft, the onions a bit charred, the carrots nice and soft and the garlic softened and truly enjoying being snuggled in between all the veggies.
- Remove any tomato skins that are easy to pull off. Transfer every last drop of this roasted goodness into a Dutch oven.
- Add some chicken or vegetable broth, some thyme sprigs and a small amount of white rice. The white rice is going to help the soup thicken without any flour.
- Get that all simmered up nicely so the liquid reduces and the vegetables soften up even more.
- Remove the thyme sprigs, but dont toss them. Just let them cool a bit and scrape the leaves back into the bisque.
- Add a good handful or so of freshly chopped basil and some cream.
- Puree with an immersion blender (alternately, do so in a food processor or blender
- And folks!
Some seriously good tomato soup deliciousness!!!
Youre totally welcome to serve this with a grilled cheese sandwich as a throwback to your youth or top it with some croutons, some crushed red pepper flakes and go to town!
Tomato Bisque Soup Recipe With Fresh Tomatoes
A tomato bisque soup recipe is often are made with chicken broth and canned tomatoes. I understand using canned tomatoes when fresh are not available, but chicken broth is a no go for me. I want to taste nothing but creamy tomato soup, flavored with the herbs of my choice. Typical recipes will have bouillon cubes or chicken broth and flour. I decided against those ingredients, using heavy cream and white wine.
Read Also: New York Times Recipe Box
Is It Diet Friendly
Plus, its suitable for different dietary needs.
Its naturally vegetarian, vegan, nut free, and easily made oil free. A simple swap can make it soy free and gluten free too. This dish is a great allergy friendly option, suitable for any diet.
Tips For Making Tomato Soup
You may have noticed that there is no garlic added, not a basil leaf to be found. And before youre tempted to add them, just trust me. I tried both ways. Without the added frills is simplicity, perfected.
You could splurge and use cream rather than milk, but I find milk makes it lovely and creamy without being rich.
This Tomato Bisque Soup Recipe Is A Healthy Version
The result is a healthier, cleaner taste of pure tomato. I picked the tomatoes and herbs out of my garden, and I wanted to share a soup that you could easily make without a lot of fuss, yet still have those sophisticated flavors.
Of course, you can pair this with a grilled cheese sandwich and make that classic American meal.
Using Fresh Tomatoes For Tomato Bisque
We went the easy route and used a can of crushed tomatoes. If you want to use fresh tomatoes, use these directions:
To prepare fresh tomatoes:
- Choose ripened flavorful tomatoes
- Peel the skin off the tomatoes: To make this easy place the tomatoes in a boiling pot of water for 1 minute. Then transfer them to a bowl of ice water. The skin will peel right off.
- Cut the tomatoes in half and remove the seeds
- Use in the recipe as directed.
For roasted tomatoes:
- Preheat the oven to 400°F and line a baking sheet with foil or parchment paper.
- Cut the tomatoes in half and deseed them
- Toss with a bit of olive oil and salt- just enough to coat each tomato
- Place the tomatoes in a single layer on the pan
- Bake about 30 minutes or until the skins soften and begin to burst. The size of the tomatoes will affect the cook time
- Once they have cooled a bit peel off the skin and use them in the recipe as directed.
Read Also: Healthy Dinner Recipes For The Week
Whats The Difference Between Tomato Soup And Tomato Bisque
Essentially, the TL DR is that tomato bisque includes cream and tomato soup doesnt.Tomato bisque is a thicker, richer version of tomato soup. Bisque is traditionally made with shellfish stock, so youll find some who argue that tomato bisque isnt actually a bisque at all. The term has actually evolved over the years, though, and now it includes almost any creamy, pureed soup. Its usually more seasoned than tomato soup. Some are thickened with rice and cream, and others with just cream.
How To Make Tomato Soup In A Slow Cooker
Using a slow cooker to make tomato soup is a great way to allow the flavors of the herbs to truly infuse into the tomato sauce to create a deep depth of flavor.
Also, using a slow cooker is a great way to make tomato soup for large crowds, such as for a potluck or Thanksgiving. Just double or triple this homemade tomato soup recipe for a crowd!
- To make tomato bisque soup in a slow cooker, add in all of the ingredients , and cook low for 4-6 hours.
- Once your tomato soup has warmed through and cooked the desired length of time, remove the garlic and thyme.
- Use an immersion blender to puree the tomato soup.
- In a small pan, make the roux and blend it into the tomato soup in the slow cooker. Taste for seasonings.
You May Like: Meals On A Tight Budget Recipes
Tomato Soup Vs Tomato Bisque
If youre wondering what the difference is between tomato soup and tomato bisque, it is texture.
Tomato soups broth is thin where tomato bisques broth is thick and creamy.
Tomato bisque is pureed. Tomato soup can also be pureed, but tomato bisque soup is thickened by creating a roux with heavy cream and flour. The roux thickens the tomato soup and transforms it into a hearty, yet smooth tomato bisque.
What Is The Difference Between Tomato Bisque And Tomato Soup
Basically, the difference is heavy cream. Tomato bisques are creamy and smooth and are usually made with chicken stock, tomatoes and cream. Think creamy tomato soup, and I dont think you need much cream at all with seasonal summer tomatoes, just gilding the lily.
The tomatoes roast in the oven, but the rest of the bisque comes together in one pot with the help of an immersion blender, making this soup a fairly easy endeavor.
Any fresh garden variety tomato works here, including heirlooms, or even a mix of varieties. I decided to freeze some whole farm fresh tomatoes in August , so thats what I used. And theres no need to peel the tomatoes, just cut in half and arrange on a baking sheet.
The soup is finished off with a touch of cream, I really dont think you need much, just a few tablespoons. The result is the best homemade creamy fresh tomato bisque~ just needs a grilled cheddar cheese and apple sandwich for an amazing seasonal lunch or dinner. Enjoy, Kelly
If you need another idea for late season garden tomatoes and basil, you might like my Insalata Caprese with Basil Vinaigrette.
HUNGRY FOR MORE? Subscribe to my Newsletter and come hang out with me on , or give me a follow on or see what Im pinning on .
Also Check: Shea Butter Body Butter Recipe