How To Make Any Recipe Gluten Free Dairy Free Or Egg Free
Niki Bezzant has a practical guide to substituting in recipes so the whole family can enjoy your favourites.
Being diagnosed with an allergy or intolerance can be quite disorienting and confusing to start with it can feel like meals as you know them are over!
But it doesnt have to be this way living free from the foods that cause you problems can be really positive and delicious as well, and it is possible to keep making some of your favourite recipes with a few small changes once you know the tricks.
Is There Dairy Free Cheese
There are a ton of vegan and dairy free cheeses available these days. Many of them are nut based, so they will not work for those who have nut allergies. This is a good guide to vegan cheese.
We use Daiya cheese because it is made in a nut free facility. We love the Daiya shreds and the blocks and slices as well.
One thing that is really great about Daiya cheese is the fact that it stretches when it melts. If you put it on a pizza, it gets all stretchy and gooey. If you make mac n cheese with it, it becomes a super creamy, cheesy, melty sauce. Weve been very happy with all of their products, but our favorites are the mozzarella shreds, the cheddar slices, and the cheddar block and the jalapeno havarti block.
There are other brands of dairy free cheese as well. You can look into vegan cheese from Trader Joes, or So Delicious, or Follow Your Heart. Be sure to read the label and call the company to make sure that all products are safe for you.
Another easy cheesy substitute is nutritional yeast. Nutritional yeast is full of vitamins and minerals and is an excellent source of B12. It comes in flakes and you can either sprinkle it on your food or use it to make a cheesy sauce.
Cashews can also be soaked and ground up to make a vegan cheese. There are a lot of vegan cheesecake recipes that are cashew based.
Daiya also makes dairy free cheesecakes which are delicious and can be found in the frozen food section of your health food store.
A Few Nutrition Notes
Lastly, a few notes on nutrition! This shrimp stir fry is big on both flavor and nutrients! We like to design meals that add a big nutritional punch using our favorite go-to veggies. Heres what to note:
- Bell peppers are packed with vitamin C: 1 medium red bell pepper provides 169% of your daily vitamin C. So using two peppers in this recipe knocks this vitamin off the charts .
- Broccoli is full of fiber and Vitamin C. 1 cup of raw broccoli has 2.3 grams of fiber and 140% of your daily vitamin . This recipe uses about 4 cups.
- You also get all the benefits of mushrooms, like anti-oxidants and Vitamin B .
Also Check: Ghirardelli Chocolate Chip Cookie Recipe Semi Sweet
A Simple Guide To Using Dairy Substitutes
A guide to how to use dairy substitutes in cooking and baking. When you eliminate dairy from your diet, it can be confusing at first. Find out which dairy free substitutions will work best for you!
When you remove dairy from your diet, you may have a lot of questions.
What dairy substitutes are available? How do they taste?
Do they work well in cooking and baking? Were going to tackle these questions together today and take some of the mystery out of dairy substitutes.
Three and a half years ago I removed dairy from my diet to help soothe Baby Bees reflux. I remember being so confused about how to replace all the milk, ice cream, cheese, and butter that I loved so much.
I think the first dairy substitute I bought was a pint of coconut milk ice creampriorities, right? ) As I got used to the idea of no dairy, I ventured out and started trying different products. First non-dairy milks, then non-dairy butter, and then eventually non-dairy cheese.
Since Baby Bees reflux got SO much better once I eliminated dairy, it was easy for me to stick to my new diet. I got comfortable cooking and baking without dairy, and now I dont miss dairy at all. There are so many wonderful dairy substitutes on the market today. You dont have to feel deprived.
What Is A Good Substitute For Yogurt
There are so many non-dairy yogurts available these days even in regular grocery stores!
Soy milk yogurt, coconut milk yogurt, and almond milk yogurt is easily found in many stores. I find that the taste is very similar to dairy yogurt. Non-dairy yogurts contain healthy probiotics just as dairy yogurt does. If you are using it in a recipe and are looking for that tangy yogurt quality, unsweetened dairy free yogurt is probably the best choice.
Look for non-dairy yogurts from brands such as So Delicious, Stonyfield Farms, Daiya, Silk, or Almond Dream.
Read Also: Chocolate Pudding Recipe With Cocoa Powder
Easy Dairy Free Recipe Swaps
- Swap dairy milk with any plant based milk. Soy milk has about the same amount of protein as cow and goat milk. Other options are almond milk, cashew milk, coconut milk, flax milk, hemp milk, oat milk , macadamia milk, and pea milk. Or try making your own using this easy 1-milk dairy-free milk recipe.
- Swap cheese with plant-based cheese. If you havent tried plant-based cheese in awhile, there are some pretty tasty ones available. I really like Miyokos Creamery and Kite Hill dairy-free cheeses.
- Swap butter with a dairy-free alternative. Extra-virgin olive oil and avocado are two of my favorite heart healthy butter swaps. I also like Melt Organic and Earth Balance Organic spreads.
- Swap yogurt with plant-based yogurt. You have a lot of options when it comes to choosing a plant-based yogurt these days. Choose from coconut milk, cashew milk , and soy milk versions.
- Swap dairy ice cream with plant-based ice cream or sorbet. Ice cream lovers rejoice! You dont have to give up your favorite treat! Choose from coconut milk and oat milk versions available in your grocery store. As always, read lables. Just because a prodcut is diary-free, it doesnt automatically mean its gluten-free too!
Easy Vegan Taco Salad
On the lookout for easy gluten free dairy free dinner ideas? Vegan Taco Salad to the rescue! This genius recipe comes to you by the magic of Walnut Taco Meat: a tasty way to make a plant-based version of ground beef. Turns out, walnuts, mushrooms and spices do a spot on job of simulating the savory goodness of meat crumbles. Top with salsa and enjoy.
Recommended Reading: Roast Beef Deli Meat Recipe
Can You Be Gluten And Dairy
While it may seem daunting to follow both a gluten AND dairy-free diet, it is undoubtedly possible in both a healthy AND delicious way! There are plenty of nourishing and tasty foods you can enjoy on a gluten-free diet that also happens to be dairy-free.
Whether youre choosing to follow a gluten-free, dairy-free diet for personal reasons or youre trying it to identify any food allergies or food sensitivities, youll be happy to know that there are SO MANY delicious foods you can enjoy on a gluten-free dairy-free diet.
Tip! Read this post to learn more about why you might want to try a dairy-free diet:How to Eat Dairy-Free + an Easy 1-Minute Dairy Free Milk Recipe.
Friday: Instant Pot Teriyaki Chicken
21 Day Fix Container Counts per Serving: 1 Red, 1/4 Purple, 1/2 tsp, 2 sugar teaspoons
Weight Watchers Blue Plan Points : 5
Hope you guys have an amazing week!! And if you follow along with this meal plan or make any of the recipes, Id love to hear from you on social! Your posts, comments and photos of your meals seriously make my life!! You can find me or find/tag me on Instagram thefoodieandthefix
You May Like: Jim Beam Peach Whiskey Recipes
Latest From My Kitchen
- Best Gluten-Free Christmas Desserts
- Easy Gluten-Free Cinnamon Rolls
- Favorite Gluten-Free Christmas Cookie Recipes
- Gluten-Free Holiday Gift Guide
- Easy Gluten-Free Pancakes
- Gluten-Free Buttermilk Biscuits
- Gluten-Free Cinnamon Rolls
- Easy Gluten-Free Banana Bread
- Easy Gluten-Free Brownies
- Easy Gluten-Free Bread
- Gluten-Free Sweet Cornbread
- Gluten-Free Pizza Crust
How To Avoid A Dry Or Soggy Nachos Recipe
There are two dreaded nachos recipe states: too soggy or too dry. This recipe avoids both and lands solidly in the just right camp. Heres what weve learned on the soggy vs dry nacho front:
- Add a little cheese to the chips first, which forms a protective barrier. Then layer your toppings on top.
- Even better, toast the chips in the oven for a few minutes. This helps to crisp them up even a little more .
- Use refried beans with cheese, sour cream and guacamole per the recipe below. This makes sure theyre perfectly loaded with goodness: no risk of dryness!
Read Also: High Protein Vegetarian Slow Cooker Recipes
Can You Freeze Cake
Of course, nobody bakes a cake the day of the party, so Im sure you are wondering, can this allergy-friendly cake be frozen? The short answer is yes! You can bake the layers and freeze them, take the cake out of the freezer the day of the party, make the dairy-free frosting, and assemble it.
Want to save more time? Make the entire cake and freeze it, whole, and take it out the night of the party. If you have room in your freezer, then why not? Thawing out this cake does not affect its delicious texture and flavor, and youll save yourself a lot of time.
I know that making an allergy-friendly cake from scratch can seem overwhelming -where do you even find the ingredients? Well, for starters, you are probably using most of them already so know that they are often easy to swap for another brand. This recipe is not brand specific.
For most people with severe food allergies, using a mix out of the box isnt an option, so this version allows you to select your favorite gluten-free flour.
Youll also find that the use of chocolate non-dairy milk gives this cake a moist, rich texture that will bring everyone back for seconds. You can find this dairy-free option in the refrigerated section of your grocery.
For more clean desserts that have no gluten or nuts and focus on clean sugars check out my latest cookbook, Clean Treats for Everyone.
Clean Treats Cookbook
Healthy and wholesome dessert recipes youll want to eat made with clean ingredients you already have on hand.
What Is Adobo Sauce
Adobo sauce is our secret weapon to add meaty, smoky flavor to our vegetarian and vegan recipes. Chipotles in adobo sauce are sold in most major grocery stores here in the US, available in the Mexican products section. The can includes two things:
- Chipotle chiles: smoked and dried jalapeños that then are rehydrated and canned
- Adobo sauce, a puree of tomato, vinegar, garlic, and some other spices.
Most of our recipes use only a small amount of the adobo sauce because the chiles are super potent! You can freeze the remainder of the chipotle chiles and adobo sauce for future use.
Read Also: Campbell Soup Chicken Pot Pie Recipe
What Is A Dairy Free Substitute For Butter
I personally think that butter is the easiest thing to replace. I have always purchased the Earth Balance Soy Free Buttery Spread because it tastes great and works really well. It is easy to spread and has a wonderful buttery flavor.
If you prefer sticks for baking, Earth Balance makes those as well. There are many different varieties of Earth Balance spreads you can take a look and see which one works for your dietary needs.
Some people like to make their own dairy free butter I havent tried that yet. Its a great option especially if you cant find Earth Balance products near you.
Another brand of non-dairy spread is Melt. There are several different flavor options, including chocolate and honey.
What Foods Are Gluten And Dairy
- Fresh Veggies and Fresh Fruit: All including apples, bell peppers, berries, bok choy, broccoli, carrots, citrus fruit, leafy greens, sweet potatoes, & zucchini noodles.
- Beans and Legumes: All including black beans, chickpeas, lentils, navy beans, soybeans, and white bean.
- Nuts and Seeds: All including almond milk, almond butter, coconut milk, chia seeds, macadamia nuts, peanut butter, pecans, pistachios, sesame seeds, & sunflower seeds.
- Animal Proteins: Beef, eggs, chicken, pork, seafood, and turkey.
- Gluten-Free Grains: Amaranth, buckwheat, corn, fonio, gluten-free bread and pasta, oats , quinoa, brown rice, sorghum, teff, & wild rice.
- Healthy Fats: Avocados, coconut oil, flaxseed oil, olive oil, & high-oleic sunflower oil.
- Flavor Boosters: Fresh herbs, spices, black pepper, citrus zest, gluten-free soy sauce, lemon juice, maple syrup, sea salt, and more.
Be sure to keep these simple ingredients on hand to make healthy eating a breeze!
Recommended Reading: Easy Pancake Recipe For Kids
Pickled Jalapenos Add A Zing
The other topping thats key here is the pickled jalapenos! Our Homemade Pickled Jalapeños are perfect, and only take 10 minutes to make. Or, you can use store-bought. Why are they important They add just the right tangy flavor and back-end heat. If you cant handle spicy foods, no problem! Our Quick Pickled Onions also add that signature tang without the heat. Theyre quick to make, too. That saidlets talk toppings!
Now That We Are All A Little More Aware Of These Allergies Lets Get To Some Gluten Free And Dairy Free Bread Recipes
Below are are a few of my favorite go-to gluten free and dairy free bread recipes. All are soy free with a few being egg free too! These recipes will bring a smile to anyone suffering with certain food allergies. Why? Because they dont taste like cardboard! Haha, finally, tasty healthy allergy friendly breads!
Lets begin. Drool napkin in hand, ready?
Cocoa Hazelnut Molasses Bread This is my favorite recipe for a chocolate dessert bread. Its rich but not too sweet! Great with coffee, always!
Savory Indian Chickpea Pancakes/Crepes This recipe is posted on Alissas site but the actually is from Richas new Vegan Indian Kitchen cookbook. Looks amazing, right? no eggs, dairy, or gluten. Just lots of FLAVOR!!
Lexi made this amazing and simple sandwich rolls. Paleo friendly! Look at the color and the flexibility. Perfect for burgers!
Kelly made this dairy free gluten free Blueberry banana bread that just screams summer, spring, and all things brunch! Oh wow. Simple, healthy, delicious!
But lets not forget bananas and bread! How about a healthy vegan, gluten-free, soy free banana bread? Miryam has one that looks amazing and sounds super simple. Cant wait to try it!
Ever tried making your own bagels? I have not since eating gluten free. But thats about to change! I cant wait to try Briannes Gluten Free and Dairy Free Cinnamon Raisin Bagels. Ahh, wow, impressive, right? Hand me the coconut butter please!
Cheers to Friday and allergy awareness week!
Also Check: Campbell Soup Chicken Dinner Recipes
How To Serve Shrimp Stir Fry
Once youve whipped up this shrimp stir fry: how to serve it? Of course, you can add rice and call it a day. But here are a few more options for serving suggestions and side dishes to make it a complete meal.
- Jasmine rice: Jasmine rice has a lovely fragrant flavor and light texture that makes it our favorite variety.
- Jade rice: Try green jade rice, naturally colored with bamboo.
- Quinoa: We like mixing it up and serving a stir fry with quinoa every now and then.
- Noodles: Serve with quick soba noodles.
- Edamame: Pair this stir fry with Easy Edamame or Spicy Edamame as a side.
- Fried Rice: Add takeout-style fried rice for a filling meal.
Dairy Free Gluten Free Soy Free And Sugar Free Recipes
This collection of recipes features dairy free, gluten free, soy free and refined sugar-free recipes. PLEASE NOTE: Some of the recipes below require minor adjustments. Check the notes for substitution suggestions.
My four year old is allergic to soya/dairy/wheat and has a intolerance to black current. Is there any recipes you can send my way as the wheat allergy has only just been diagnosed and I am struggling with what I can make for her to eat without making her ill. Any help would be much appreciated. Thank you
Hi, Daniel. That definitely sounds challenging. You can find gluten-free recipes on my blog by going to the menu bar, choosing Diet and choosing which tags to search. I have organized them under Gluten-Free, GF & Dairy-Free, GF & Vegan, Soy-Free, etc. I think youll be able to find some recipes there to help! All the best.
This is such a kind comment, Erika! Im glad to have a small part in bringing joy back to your kitchen. All the best on your transition.
May 26, 2019
After a devastating diagnosis of MS it became critical that I change my diet. My first thought was no dairy, soy, gluten OR sugar what CAN I eat? Ive found some yummy sounding thinks here!! Thank you!
May 29, 2019
Im sorry to hear about your diagnosis! I hope you can find some things that can help, Jamie.
Ronald F Gates
Do you know of a flour receipt that can be used for baking that is dairy free, gluten free and soy free?
You May Like: Low Carb Vegetarian Dinner Recipes For Weight Loss