How To Make A Strawberry Banana Smoothie:
Making this strawberry banana smoothie is as simple as placing all of the ingredients in your blender and blending until smooth. Youll want to start with frozen strawberries . The strawberries need to be frozen to create a thick, cold smoothie.
You want to use a banana that is ripe for this smoothie, since the ripe banana will add sweetness. Bananas are often used in smoothies because they help to thicken your smoothie and they give it a creamy texture. You can use a fresh or frozen banana. I usually use fresh in this strawberry banana smoothie. A fresh banana will produce a thick, creamy smoothie. Frozen banana will make your smoothie even thicker.
There are a few ways that you can customize your smoothie.
Peanut Butter Banana Strawberry Smoothie Recipe
This smoothie is just like eating your favorite peanut butter, jelly, and banana sandwich. It makes a great afternoon snack. The grapes and strawberry combination taste as sweet as jelly.
This recipe yields 20 oz. . This is enough for 2 servings. Each 10 ounce serving has approximately 280 calories, 11 grams of protein, 4 grams of fiber, and 31 grams of carbohydrates.
Smoothie Ingredients:Add in the following order.
- 1 cup milk
- ¼ cup rolled oats
- 3 tablespoons peanut butter
- If using fresh fruit, add 1 cup ice
How Much Sugar Is In A Strawberry Banana Smoothie
Because strawberry banana smoothies are mostly fruit, they do tend to have a good amount of sugar. This homemade strawberry banana smoothie has 19 grams of sugar .
This is natural sugar and 19 grams is way less than most smoothies you can order at a smoothie shop. For instance, the Starbucks Strawberry Banana Smoothie has 58 grams of sugar!
The daily sugar intake recommendation for an average adult is about 25 grams of sugar day, even if its coming from natural sources. Just something to be aware of!
Don’t Miss: Creamy Greek Salad Dressing Recipe
How To Add More Nutrition To Your Strawberry Banana Smoothie
- I add a big handful of baby spinach for a green strawberry banana smoothie. You cant taste the spinach, so its an easy way to get your greens in.
- I often add about 1/4 cup of oats to my daughters smoothie to make it more substantial.
- Add a tablespoon of flax or chia seeds for more protein and Omega-3s.
- Add a scoop of unflavored protein powder. I find vanilla is too sweet for my taste here.
Can You Use Overripe Bananas In Smoothies
Yes, you can use overripe bananas in smoothies and its a great way to use them up, AND create an extra-sweet smoothie. The natural sugars in the banana get even sweeter as the banana ripens, so using a ripe or slightly overripe banana is actually ideal for smoothies. They are sweeter and softer perfect for a smoothie like this one.
TIP: If you have bananas that are about to go bad, peel them and store them in a freezer bag. You can add them to homemade smoothies!
Read Also: Lemon Drop Martini Recipe Grey Goose
How To Freeze A Healthy Strawberry Banana Smoothie
Yes, you can freeze smoothies! As I mentioned above, my favorite way to do this is to store it in a blender bottle so that when the smoothie thaws, you can shake it up to mix up all of the ingredients again.
If its frozen solid, make sure you thaw it in the fridge overnight, or keep out on the counter until its thawed.
You could also blend it again to get everything incorporated.
Strawberry Banana Smoothie Recipe Tips:
- You can use frozen strawberries instead and omit the ice in the recipe. Using frozen berries will also make the smoothie a touch sweeter.
- For this drink, theres no need to add sugar! The berries and bananas provide tons of sweetness, though adding sugar or honey is an option if you love sweeter smoothies.
- I love using a Nutribullet to make my blended drinks its easy to clean and I can even drink my smoothie directly from the blending cup.
- You can always add chia seeds or spinach to this smoothie for a healthy boost.
My boys couldnt wait to start slurping up this smoothie!
A classic strawberry banana smoothie is a must-make recipe for a sweet refreshment on a hot summer day. Plus, when a recipe is this simple and quick to make, its easy to whip these drinks up when my kiddos are begging for me to make some!
My Hip2Save sidekick, Jenna, tried out this recipe and heres what she had to say:
I absolutely LOVE this smoothie. It turned out perfectly! I would make this regularly as my morning smoothie! I think the Greek yogurt truly made this recipe, so tasty and creamy.
You May Like: Show Me A Pancake Recipe
How To Make A Strawberry Banana Smoothie
For the full ingredient measurements and step-by-step instructions, scroll down to view the recipe card at the bottom of the page.
Homemade smoothies are one of the easiest recipes to follow. The process includes just 3 steps:
Tips For Making Smoothies
Here are a few tips for making the best smoothies possible:
- Start with ripe fruit. High quality fruit means better taste which makes a delicious smoothie.
- Use frozen fruit. Frozen fruit makes for a creamier, more refreshing smoothie.
- You dont need ice. Since youre using frozen fruit, theres also no need to include ice in the mixture. Your smoothie will be much more flavorful this way because the ice wont dilute the other ingredients.
- Plan ahead. Measure out the fruit for a few batches of smoothies into separate zip-top freezer bags. When its smoothie time, add the contents of one bag to the blender along with the milk and yogurt for a super quick breakfast or snack.
Also Check: Best Baked Chicken Breast Recipe
Ingredients Needed To Make A Strawberry Banana Smoothie
It doesnt get much easier than this! You only need a few simple ingredients:
- frozen banana frozen banana is the key to making smoothies with a creamy, thick texture. Just be sure to freeze your banana before you want to make this smoothie.
- strawberries I like to use fresh strawberries when theyre in season because I feel like theyre sweeter, but frozen strawberries work too and will make the smoothie extra thick.
- milk I like to use unsweetened almond milk, but any milk will do.
- yogurt adding a little yogurt boosts the protein and makes this smoothie more filling. I like using Greek yogurt in mine.
- honey this is optional, but it does help balance out the tart yogurt flavor.
Strawberry Banana Almond Milk Smoothie
This creamy strawberry banana almond milk smoothie is perfect served with breakfast, or a refreshing beverage. With only 3 ingredients, it’s really simple to make, and it tastes fantastic!
I absolutely love a good smoothie, especially in the summer and on hot days. If you do too, you might want to check out my collection of healthy smoothie recipes.
This is a favorite recipe of mine, because it’s so colorful, naturally sweet and incredibly refreshing. As it’s quite low in calories, it’s best suited as a snack or a drink, rather than it being served as a meal for breakfast.
Recommended Reading: Healthy Supper Recipes For Weight Loss
To Make A High Protein Smoothie:
Add plain Greek yogurt and/or nut butter to this strawberry banana smoothie for more satiating protein. Just blend the yogurt and nut butter into the smoothie along with the rest of the ingredients. Almond butter is my favorite in this smoothie. The almond butter is so good with the strawberries and banana! Peanut butter is also delicious.
Try these healthy smoothie recipes next:
Do You Add Sweetener To A Strawberry Banana Smoothie
I never need it. That is one of the things I love about this smoothie. The banana is enough to make sure everything is sweet and creamy. And usually the strawberries bring some sweetness too.
Many smoothie shops and fast food places add sugar to their smoothies. While I am not opposed to sugar I do not prefer to add it to things when it is not necessary.
You can always taste is first while it is still in the blender. If you want more sweetness, feel free to add some honey, agave, or sweetener of choice and blend for a few more seconds to combine.
You May Like: Hershey’s Chocolate Glaze Recipe
How To Make Strawberry Almond Milk
While frozen berries leave you with an even colder beverage, you can easily use fresh berries if available, ripe and on hand. Rinse your berries well, and if using frozen let them stand for a few minutes to soften slightly. We have a Ninja and don’t have to let them soften at all. The softer they are, the smoother and creamier your milk will be. Frozen berries, unthawed, turn into more of an almond milk smoothie vs plain strawberry milk.
Strawberry Banana Smoothie Ingredients:
To make this strawberry banana smoothie recipe, you will need the following ingredients :
- Frozen strawberries: Or you can sub in any other kind of frozen berries that you have on hand.
- Banana: I typically just use fresh bananas. But if you have frozen sliced bananas, you can omit some of the ice in this recipe.
- Milk: Any type of milk will work for this recipe cows milk, almond milk, oat milk, you name it.
- Ice: However much is needed to achieve your desired smoothie consistency.
- Optional add-ins: See ideas below!
Don’t Miss: Healthy Crockpot Recipes For Weight Loss
Strawberry Almond Milk Smoothie
If you are avoiding both grains and dairy, breakfast can turn into a real challenge! Smoothies are a great alternative to a full breakfast and this one only requires two ingredients! Nut milk and strawberries! It’s easy to customize this healthy strawberry smoothie with different add-ins, depending on your mood and pantry.
If you are also trying to avoid refined sugars, this is a great recipe for a yummy almond milk drink that uses natural sweetener to boost flavor. Or you might love this coconut mango tropical smoothie.
How Many Calories Are In A Strawberry Banana Smoothie
There are 240 calories in this strawberry banana smoothie. The full nutrition stats are below in the recipe card, but I pulled out the nutrition highlights for you, including strawberry banana smoothie calories!
- 240 calories
- 5 grams of fiber
- 10 grams of fat
As I mentioned above, if you need some more calories or protein to turn this into a filling meal, add some nuts or hard-boiled eggs!
What Are The Benefits Of A Strawberry Banana Smoothie
A strawberry and banana smoothie is good for you because strawberries are rich in fiber, vitamins and antioxidants. They are among the top 20 most antioxidant-rich fruits. One serving of strawberries contains more vitamin C than an orange.
Try to buy organic strawberries, if possible. Non-organic strawberries often test positive for at least one pesticide. I like to buy the large Costco packages of frozen organic strawberries for our smoothies.
Bananas are a good source of fiber, potassium and magnesium. Your body digests the sugar in a banana more slowly than refined sugars, so you get lasting energy, rather than a sugar rush and crash. Naturally-sweet bananas are a healthy way to satisfy your craving for sugar. When youre craving a sweet frozen treat, this strawberry banana smoothie is a delicious option!
Are you ready to make your best strawberry banana smoothie? Lets do it!
How To Pick The Best Strawberries
Look for local berries that are vine-ripened if possible. Late Spring and early Summer are usually the best times to locate local berry farms you can pick fresh strawberries for your personal use. Check into the you pick days for discounts and bring the kids along to help you grab the most berries. Not only can you clean and use immediately, but strawberries also preserve wonderfully when frozen, or made into pies, jams, and jellies.
Recommended Reading: Easy Chili Recipe With Tomato Juice
Favorite Strawberry Banana Smoothie
If youre a smoothie lover like us, then our strawberry banana smoothie with yogurt is a must! Its naturally sweetened, packed with nutrients, and so delicious.
Real Food Ingredients all ingredients in this fruit smoothie are real. No sugary purees or additives.
Naturally Sweetened this recipe is naturally sweetened with real fruit. No added sugar of any kind!
Gluten-Free it is naturally gluten-free without even trying!
Kid-Friendly when your meal tastes like dessert, I say thats kid-friendly for sure.
How Does It Taste
I know that the combination of strawberries and peanut butter may sound weird, but its a must-try in a smoothie!
If you love peanut butter jelly sandwiches, you want to try this strawberry peanut butter smoothie! It has a sweet strawberry flavor with a creamy thick texture from banana and just a touch of peanut butter flavor to balance!
Its not overly sweet and absolutely delicious and fulfilling as a post-workout snack or vegan breakfast.
You May Like: Roast Beef Deli Meat Recipe
How To Make Strawberry Smoothie
- Add liquids first: Add almond milk to help with pureeing. If you add frozen fruit first, your blender will struggle and cavitate.
- Add remaining ingredients and blend: Banana, flaxseed or chia seeds and frozen strawberries on top is the best order so frozen fruit doesnt get stuck. And of course, high speed blender like Vitamix or Blendtec or Ninja will blend smoothie into better consistency without chunks.
How To Make A Strawberry Banana Smoothie With A Ninja Small Cup Size Blender
After loading the Ninja cup, screw the blade lid on top of the cup, and invert the cup to blend. The order you add the ingredients is important if you want your smoothie to be well-blended.
Step 1. Add fruits and vegetables, if not frozen to the blender cup.
Step 2. Toss in any leafy greens .
Step 3. Pour in the liquid .
Step 4. Sprinkle in dry goods .
Step 5. Add frozen ingredients and ice.
Step 6. Screw the blender cap securely onto the blender cup.
Step 7. Invert the blender cup and place it on the Ninja motor.
Step 8. Pulse or blend until you reach the desired consistency.
Step 9. Remove the cup from the base. Turn the cup right side up and remove the motor lid.
Also Check: High Protein Pureed Food Recipes
How To Thicken A Smoothie
There isnt just one right smoothie thickness. I personally like thick smoothies, but my kids like their smoothies a thinner consistency.
Thinning a smoothie is easy. Just add more liquid or yogurt. But thickening a smoothie without changing the flavor too much can be a bit tricky.
It can be frustrating to blend up a smoothie that is too thin for your liking. Here are the best ways I know how to thicken a smoothie .
- Add a vegetable. Spinach and kale are my favorite vegetables to add to a smoothie. Some other ideas in order of most mild tasting, include celery, cauliflower, cucumber, and carrot. Avocado will also thicken it and add a creamy factor.
- Scoop in some protein powder. I add a scoop of vegan protein powder to virtually every smoothie recipe I make.
- Sprinkle in seeds. Flaxseed and chia seed are known for their thickening properties. Or try hemp, sesame, or sunflower seeds.
- Toss in some nuts. Cashews and almonds are my favorite, but try peanuts, pecans, and walnuts. Be warned, walnuts add a little bitterness to the smoothie so add them carefully.
- Try a nut butter. Peanut butter isnt the only option. Almond butter, cashew butter, sunflower butter, and macadamia nut butter will thicken as well.
- Add a grain. Use grains that are cooked before adding to the smoothie. Rolled oats is the exception. Some grain ideas are oatmeal , rice, millet, and quinoa.
Tips For Making The Best Strawberry Banana Smoothie
Dont add ice. Smoothie recipes often pair fresh fruit with ice cubes. This seems like a great idea if youre trying to create a refreshing beverage, right? Well, in my opinion, this is a big mistake. Ice actually dilutes the fruit and leads to a lackluster flavor. Instead, for a truly flavor-packed smoothie, be sure to use frozen bananas. This will give you a chilled smoothie and maximize fruity flavor.
Work the blender up to its highest speed. I recommend starting the blender on a low speed and gradually turning the dial up. It is easiest to make smoothies in a high-powered blender with a tamper, like a Vitamix blender.
Blend the greens first. If you are including greens in your smoothie, I recommend blending them with the plant-based milk before adding the other ingredients. This ensures even blending.
Also Check: Cookies And Cream Cookie Recipe
Are Smoothies Good For You
For a smoothie to be good for you, it should contain healthy ingredients and be free of added sugars.
When you eat, you get energy from three macronutrients: carbohydrates, protein, and healthy fats. Instead of just looking at the calories, be aware of these macronutrients in your diet.
Each macronutrients has an important function in your body. Carbohydrates provide fuel. Protein builds, repairs, and maintains body tissues and regulates metabolism. Fat insulates and protects organs and stores for energy.