Why This Recipe Works
- Made with easy-to-find ingredients: I love this easy turkey meatloaf recipe because it’s made with simple ingredients that you may likely already have on hand.
- Super moist and tender: The secret to a ultra-moist meatloaf is to sauté the onions and garlic in olive oil before adding them to the ground turkey. This brings out the natural sweetness of the vegetables and adds moisture to the turkey.
- Lower in fat and calories: Turkey meatloaf has fewer calories than traditional meatloaf and less than half the saturated fat.
- The perfect size: This mini turkey meatloaf recipe yields the perfect amount for one or two people. If you’d like to serve two, consider adding one or two side dishes to go along with your meatloaf.
Healthy Ground Turkey Meatloaf Recipe
THIS POST MAY CONTAIN AFFILIATE LINKS. PLEASE SEE OUR FULL DISCLOSURE POLICY FOR DETAILS.
Meatloaf is the ultimate comfort food! Its typically is based on ground beef and uses dried breadcrumbs as a binder.
But if youre trying to eat less beefor no beef at allthis recipe is for you!
Ground turkey is main ingredients for this meatloaf, which keeps it lean.
Its friendlier than beef for the environment, too! And instead of breadcrumbs, old-fashioned oats is the binder here.
Thatll punch up the whole grains and healthful fiber.
And youll be delighted that you dont have to give up great taste or comfort to enjoy this made-over meatloaf.
Its super easy to make this recipe.
You just add all of the ingredients in bowl, combine by hand, sculpt into a rectangular or football-shaped loaf, brush with a little ketchup to make a beautiful glaze, and bake.
So, what are the ingredients youll need?
Ground turkey, red onion, legs, oats, fresh thyme or rosemary, garlic, sea salt, freshly ground black pepper, and ketchup. If you dont have fresh herbs, just replace the 1 teaspoon of finely chopped fresh thyme or rosemary with ½ teaspoon dried thyme or rosemary.
To enjoy, simply eat as a cozy lunch or dinner entrée.
You cant go wrong by serving it alongside some mashed potatoes and sautéed greens or green beans.
What Is A Good Substitute For The Eggs In Ground Turkey Meatloaf
There are several substitutions for eggs that will work in this moist turkey meatloaf. Many of these options will be on hand for people who dont include eggs in their diet.Quinoa
Also, if you try a recipe and you like it, leave us some feedback in the comment section below, and dont forget to rate it! We would love it if you shared it with friends and family.
Finally, please use our hashtag #healthyfitnessmeals on for a chance to be featured! FOLLOW Healthy Fitness Meals on | | | for all of our latest blog posts and recipes.
Read Also: Simple Chili Recipe With Tomato Juice
What To Serve/pair With Healthy Turkey Meatloaf
Keto Panko Bread CrumbsCrushed NutsAn inexpensive non-discernable substitution is the chia seeds. They wont change the flavor of the turkey meatloaf but make sure you break them down in a food processor or Nutri-bullet, or they will have a visual and textural impact.
H3: Do I have to use the eggs in ground turkey meatloaf?
No, but the reason for using eggs in the meatloaf recipe is to bind the loaf so it wont tend to crumble or fall apart.
Best Ever Turkey Meatloaf
Turkey Meatloaf recipes come and go, but theres only one best evertry our Best Ever Turkey Meatloaf recipe and find out for yourself. Minced garlic, chopped onion and lean ground turkey lead to loaf nirvana at 250 calories per serving. Weeknight dinners might never be the same.
package JENNIE-O® Lean Ground Turkey
cup egg substitute or 1 egg
teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
Also Check: Meatloaf Recipe With Ranch Seasoning
Does Meatloaf Have Gluten
Most meatloaf has gluten it because traditionally meatloaf has breadcrumbs. Store-bought meatloaf and meatballs may not have breadcrumbs, but almost all have a wheat-based filler. The breadcrumbs help meatloaf to be tender and juicy without being greasy. They absorb the juices and fat, keeping the meatloaf flavorful and also acting as a filler so that there is more meatloaf to go around.
Turkey Meatloaf Recipe Ingredients
- Ground turkey: To keep it lean, go with 93% if you want it richer use 85%. I recommend using Jenni-O brand since its less wet and sticky and therefor easier to work with.
- Olive oil: You can use another neutral oil such as vegetable oil, avocado oil, canola oil, etc.
- Yellow onion and garlic: These help build up background flavor. Here we saute and brown slightly for softness and extra flavor.
- Bread crumbs: Homemade is preferred if you have them but store-bought works fine too. Only use dry bread crumbs not fresh.
- Chicken broth: Regular or low-sodium is fine since its a small amount. Vegetable broth or even milk could be substituted.
- Parmesan cheese: Be sure to shred finely. Dont use powdered parmesan from the shelf, it doesnt taste near as good.
- Worcestershire sauce: A key ingredient in meatloaf. It adds rich depth of flavor.
- Ketchup: This is used both in the loaf mixture for moisture and topping for the classic finish and taste.
- Dijon mustard: This helps amp up the flavor since turkey is milder than beef.
- Parsley and thyme: If you dont have fresh parsley you can use 1 Tbsp dried. Then for the thyme you can use fresh in place of dried, use 1 1/2 tsp.
- Whole egg and egg yolk: I like to limit the egg white and only use 1 whole egg plus an additional yolk so meatloaf isnt dry.
- Salt and pepper: Ive listed recommended amounts since obviously you should never taste test raw meat. Upon serving you can season slices with a little more salt if desired.
Don’t Miss: Healthy Low Carb Vegetarian Recipes
How To Make Turkey Meatloaf:
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and line a baking sheet with aluminum foil.
Heat the olive oil in a pan over medium heat.
Add the onions and garlic and sauté until translucent, around five minutes.
Transfer the onions and garlic to a large bowl with the ground turkey, crushed crackers, egg, Italian seasoning, salt and pepper.
Work the ingredients together with your hands until well combined.
Transfer the meat mixture to the prepared pan and form into a loaf shape.
Place in the preheated oven and bake for 30 minutes.
Combine the ketchup and Worcestershire sauce in a small bowl.
When the cook time is up, remove the meatloaf from the oven and cover with sauce.
Return the loaf to the oven to cook for an additional 30 minutes.
When the meatloaf is cooked through, remove from the oven and allow to stand for five minutes before slicing and serving.
Spicy Turkey Meatloaf Recipe
This easy Spicy Ground Turkey Meatloaf recipe needs just a few common ingredients. Its naturally low carb and gluten-free, and the whole family will love it!
Im really enjoying the warm May weather! And since its Cinco de Mayo month, there just might be no better time to share easy Mexican recipes.
Summer will be here before we know it. Before it gets too hot to use my oven, Im still getting plenty of use out of it while I can. Since keto low carb meatloaf is one of my go-to recipes, I figured that this is the perfect month to create a different version.
Also Check: Pretzel And Hershey Kiss Recipe
Is Ground Turkey Good For You
That is a loaded question without a firm answer. Ground turkey comes in several different fat ratios, just like ground beef. Choosing a leaner turkey can have less saturated fats and cholesterol than ground beef. You will have to compare nutrition labels at your grocery store to be able to get an accurate comparison of the ground turkey you are buying versus the ground beef. As with most things, ground turkey can be a part of a well balanced, healthy diet.
Here Are Some Tips For Making My Spicy Ground Turkey Meatloaf
- Use homemade taco seasoning. You can use store bought if you want to, but make sure its salted. Otherwise, if yours doesnt have salt, simply add 1 ½ teaspoons of salt. That will maintain the right level of saltiness for this turkey meatloaf. Since taco seasoning is pretty much my favorite type of seasoning ever, I was excited to incorporate it into this turkey meatloaf recipe. It pairs perfectly with the Mexican flavors in salsa, green chiles, and pepper jack cheese.
- Parmesan as a low carb option. I used it to keep the recipe low carb but still use a common ingredient that most people have. If that isnt important to you, you can easily swap in breadcrumbs. Another low carb option would be almond flour.
- Spice it up with salsa! I used a regular tomato salsa, but you could get creative. Kristins fresh salsa with corn and black beans would be delicious, too!
If youre like me, youll be making a big batch of taco seasoning to use in this Mexican turkey meatloaf. So, youll probably be looking for more ways to use it! The Mexican recipe Ill be making all summer long is healthy taco salad with ground beef. You can easily make it with ground turkey instead, if youre buying a big batch to use in the turkey meatloaf.
Im getting ahead of myself here! While its not too steamy to make turkey meatloaf, Ill make it every chance I get. For a serving idea, try it with taco fixings like guacamole, fresh salsa or some delicious Coconut Tortillas!
Also Check: Keto Diet For Diabetics Recipes
How To Make Ground Turkey Meatloaf
Start by adding all the meatloaf ingredients in a mixing bowl and mix until fully combined. Transfer the mixture into a greased loaf pan and bake for 40 minutes.
While the meatloaf is baking, prepare the glaze by whisking together the ketchup, vinegar, and brown sugar.
After 40 minutes, remove the meatloaf from the oven and brush the top with the glaze. Bake for a further 15 minutes, before letting the meatloaf sit for 10 minutes, then slice and serve.
What Can I Substitute For Breadcrumbs Gluten Free
What can you use instead of breadcrumbs in meatloaf? There are many options both in commercial gluten free breadcrumbs, and other non-breadcrumb substitutes.
Some of my favorite gluten free breadcrumb swaps are:
- Rice Chex- Rice Chex are gluten-free and when gently crushed have a texture similar to panko breadcrumbs. I use my food processor, a bowl and a potato masher, or a ziploc bag and my hands to crush my Rice Chex.
- Almond Flour- You may need a little less almond flour, or a little more liquid because almond flour is more dense than breadcrumbs. However, with a little tweaking it is a great breadcrumb substitute.
- Gluten Free Crisp Rice Cereal- Just a quick pulse or crushing with a spoon and gluten free rice crisp cereal makes a perfect breadcrumb substitute.
- Gluten Free Waffles– Whenever I make my grandma’s gluten free waffles, I store any leftovers in the freezer. Toast them up and pulse them in your blender or food processor, or grate them using a box grater, or grater attachment on your mixer. You may also want to try my friend Chrystal’s gluten free waffle mix. Keep it on hand so you can easily mix up some gluten free waffles whenever you need bread crumbs!
- Leftover Gluten Free Bread– Save your heals and crusts! Toast them up and pulse to make breadcrumbs. You can do the same with any gluten free baking fails .
If you want to make a meatloaf without breadcrumbs, try this paleo honey sesame turkey meatloaf.
You May Like: Chicken Recipes For Weight Loss
The Secret To Crave Worthy Moist Turkey Meatloaf
If you have turkey meatloaf skeptics in your life, this recipe will change their minds. It did for us. We never used to make turkey meatloaf. We make turkey meatballs and turkey burgers all the time, but never meatloaf. Thats until we stumbled on the secret for making the best, juicy inside, flavorful turkey meatloaf. Its mushrooms!
Now we make it all the time. Since ground turkey can be a bit dry and bland after its cooked, we needed to add ingredients that keep the inside moist and boost flavor.
The trick to the best meatloaf lies in the vegetable aisle. Its mushrooms!
Thanks to tiny pieces of chopped mushrooms, the turkey meatloaf is moist and has unbelievable flavor.
If you arent the biggest mushroom fan, its okay! The meatloaf doesnt end up tasting like mushrooms . Instead, the mushrooms add a lovely savory flavor to the turkey.
We use this trick in other recipes. Mushrooms are the secret ingredient to our easy turkey chili and these seriously good turkey burgers. Just like with this recipe, our readers rave about them .
Meatloaf Tips And Variations:
- Dont overwork the meat. Just like making meatballs, if you over work the meat it will become more dense. Its best to gently mix all the ingredients until just mixed in.
- Make it faster! If I want to make this quicker, I will make them into four smaller loaves and cook it for about 25 to 30 minutes. You can also make it in cupcake tins like I do in this Cupcake Meatloaf with Mashed Potato Frosting.
- Add heat! If you want to spice things up you can add some chipotle or sriracha to the ketchup.
- Use beef. If you prefer beef, swap the turkey for a lean beef around 90% lean.
- Make it low-carb or grain-free. Swap the breadcrumbs out for equal amounts of almond meal.
- Make it with oats. Swap the breadcrumbs out for equal amounts of rolled oats.
- BBQ Sauce. Replace the ketchup glaze with BBQ sauce to give it a smokey flavor.
- Make it juicier. I often use 93% lean for a juicier turkey meatloaf.
- Make it for Meal Prep! Double the recipe, make two and freeze one for another night.
- Leftovers. Leftovers are great for sandwiches. Refrigerate 3 to 4 days.
Don’t Miss: Cuisinart Automatic Bread Maker Recipes
How Do You Glaze Turkey Meatloaf
Many meatloaf recipes are brushed with ketchup alone as a meatloaf glaze.
I like to bump up the flavor of my turkey meatloaf glaze by mixing some ketchup with either steak sauce or Worcestershire sauce and brushing it over my meatloaf before I bake it.
Simply mix them together and brush over your meatloaf before it goes in the oven. If you have extra, you can brush some more on the last ten minutes of baking.
How Do You Freeze And Thaw Ground Turkey Meatloaf
Keep your cooked turkey meatloaf in the loaf pan and cover it tightly with two pieces of foil . As an extra measure , you can also tightly wrap the foil-covered loaf pan with plastic wrap just be sure to remove the plastic wrap before popping it into the oven if you go that route!
As for reheating, youve got a few options. You can either reheat the meatloaf once thawed or pop it into the oven frozen.
- Reheat from thawed: transfer your meatloaf to the refrigerator to thaw two days before you plan on enjoying it. On the day-of, simply transfer the meatloaf to a 375°F oven for 30 minutes, until warmed through.
- Reheat from frozen: transfer the meatloaf to a 375°F oven to heat through for an hour and a half. Then, remove the foil, and let it continue warming for 30 more minutes in the oven.
Also Check: Gluten Free Sugar Free Cookies Recipe
Turkey Meatloaf Cook Time:
Turkey meatloaf needs to be cooked to an internal temperature of 165 degrees Fahrenheit for food safety. This should take approximately 1 hour for a two pound meatloaf baked at 350 degrees Fahrenheit. However, if you use more than 2 pounds you dont need to double your cooking time. Add approximately 30 minutes for each additional pound of turkey.
Interesting Food History: Old Fashioned Meatloaf
Bon Appétit ran a great article a few years ago about the history of meatloaf, which is actually really interesting. Arguably, the first precursors of what our essential American comfort food began as a medieval dish that used up meat scraps.
Modern American meatloafs origins date roughly to the 1870s, with recipes for seasoned, baked scrap meat. These scraps would have been most often beef, since cows were slaughtered before winter made feeding them more difficult.
Meatloaf became increasingly popular in the 1890s with the rise of industrial meatpacking, and into the 1920s and 1930s. In this period, the Great Depression demanded that meat stretch as far as possible, as inexpensively as possible. Ground meat made an inexpensive dinner that minimized waste. By the 1950s, meatloaf had made its way into popular cookbooks, and became the popular and ubiquitous comfort food we all know.
Don’t Miss: Taco Bell Chicken Taco Recipe
Sides To Pair With Turkey Meatloaf
I love serving a hearty meatloaf alongside traditional sides like mashed potatoes and casseroles. They compliment the flavor of the meatloaf so well and leave everyone in my family satisfied. Youre going to love how easy these dishes are to throw together. Its the best way to complete your meal!
How To Make Turkey Meatloaf
Just like when making classic beef meatloaf, the method for our recipe is pretty simple. Heres an overview of how to make turkey meatloaf :
We bake the meatloaf in a 400 degree Fahrenheit oven for about 50 minutes. The meatloaf is done when an internal thermometer inserted into the middle reads 170 degrees Fahrenheit.
Recommended Reading: Pumpkin And Greek Yogurt Recipes