How Long Does Creamy Cucumber Salad Last
Unlike regular salads made with greens, this cucumber apple salad holds up quite nicely. To save any leftovers, just store it in an airtight container in the refrigerator. It will keep for a few days just fine. Plus, that gives the cucumbers and apples more time to soak up the flavor of the dressing!
Light And Creamy Apple Salad
Need a quick and healthy side dish, breakfast, or snack this season? Packed full of nutritious ingredients, this Light and Creamy Apple Salad is such a treat, and its ready in about 10 minutes!
Have you noticed that weve been enjoying a few apples recently? Actually, about 54 pounds of apples, to be exact!! To say that I had to get creative in the kitchen would be an understatement.
After canning my last batch of Slow Cooker Applesauce this week, I can honestly say that we have eaten our way through every single bit of that delicious fruit! Todays recipe is one that I pulled together as a quick side dish to have with dinner one evening, but I have also continued to enjoy it with breakfast, lunch, and snacks. Fresh, simple ingredients are THE BEST, right?
Tips For Making Honeycrisp Apple Salad
- Its a personal decision whether or not to peel the apples before adding them to the salad. I love the skin, and it adds great color and texture to the dish.
- This honeycrisp apple salad is best served immediately after the refrigeration time. It wont keep overnight, so make sure to eat it all!
- Any kind of apples can be usedjust use what you have on hand, or your favorite. Some other good choices are Gala, Granny Smith, Golden Delicious, or Fuji. Its also delicious to use a mix of different types of apples.
- In my family, the celery and walnuts are not optional! Other good add-ins are raisins, dried cranberries, or other types of nuts such as sliced almonds, pecans, or lightly salted peanuts.
- Miracle Whip or regular mayonnaise can be substituted for the light mayonnaise, however the taste of the salad will change accordingly.
Recommended Reading: Meal Prep Recipes To Gain Weight
Apple Salad With Mayo
I highlight the marshmallows as the most uncommon ingredient in this salad, however, the mayo-based dressing may seem equally out of place to many people. After all, who eats apples with mayo?
The truth is, the mayo doesn’t even taste like mayo. The dressing soaks up the flavor of the apples and is spiked with lemon juice to transform it into a delightfully sweet and tangy dressing.
Easy Cucumber Apple Salad Recipe
When it comes to easy recipes, you cant beat a bowl full of fresh produce with a bit of salad dressing. Sometimes Im surprised by just HOW good a fresh and simple salad can be, but this creamy cucumber apple salad recipe is a big reminder. Cucumbers, radishes, and apples are the perfect mix for this salad, bringing in just enough flavor, freshness, and fun.
A little kick from the radishes, a bitter sweetness from the apples, and a crisp freshness from the cucumbers. I could eat this salad just about any time!
Recommended Reading: Sourdough Bread Recipe With Yeast
How Long Does Can You Keep Broccoli Salad In The Fridge
The beauty of this salad is that it tastes better the longer it sits in the dressing. Dont you just love those types of salads?
For best results, I suggest making this salad at least an hour before serving to allow the broccoli to absorb all of the flavours. You can keep it in the fridge for up to four days, which makes the perfect make-ahead lunch or side dish option!
Store it in the bowl covered with saran wrap or in an air-tight container.
How Do You Make An Apple Salad
I love the combination of flavors and textures in this sweet apple salad! It includes creamy Greek yogurt and mayonnaise, warm spices, plump juicy raisins, and a crunchy pecan topping.
First, start by tossing together the apples , the golden raisin , and a small splash of apple juice, orange juice, or lemon juice. The juice adds a nice touch of bright flavor, while also preventing browning on the apples.
In a separate small bowl, whisk together vanilla Greek yogurt, mayonnaise, and apple pie spice.
Fold the dressing into the apples until completely combined.
At this point, you cover the bowl and refrigerate until ready to serve or you can go ahead and garnish it with the pecan and coconut toppings and serve immediately.
The balance of Greek yogurt and mayonnaise gives this apple salad with mayonnaise a rich flavor with a healthier nutritional profile!
Also Check: Hello Fresh Shrimp Taco Recipe
More Delicious Salad Recipes
Salads are a fresh and delicious way to get vegetables and fruits into your diet. It doesnt take a lot to give a salad a little extra flavor and color. These salad recipes are unique, healthy, and easy to make.
- Nuts About Berries Salad This salad is loaded with nuts and berries. It is fruity and refreshing.
- Mandarin Spinach Salad with Candied Pecans My favorite part of this salad is the pomegranate seeds mixed in with the fruit and pecans. It is so flavorful!
- Kona Grills Red Pepper Coleslaw Gorgonzola cheese and roasted red peppers give this traditional coleslaw a delicious twist.
- Asian Cucumber Salad This low calorie salad is loaded with healthy vegetables and is lightly tossed in a rice vinegar based dressing.
- Fresh Mango Avocado Coleslaw If you are lucky enough to find ripe mangoes and ripe avocados at the same time, you have to try this coleslaw! It is so colorful. The textures and flavors go so well together.
- Greek Side Salad with Greek Dressing This flavor packed salad will not disappoint. Colorful vegetables, olives, and beans are dressed in an olive oil and vinegar dressing.
What Are The Best Apples For A Salad
This all depends on your personal tastes as well as how quickly you plan to enjoy the salad after cutting the apples. Granny Smith apples are the classic choice because of their firm texture and tart flavor. However, they do tend to brown quickly. For fresh salads, an apple that resists oxidation is key. Pink Lady apples also have a wonderfully tart flavor, but their bright white flesh is slower to brown. Opals a cross between Golden Delicious and Topaz apples are another great choice to add to a salad because they are naturally low in polyphenol oxidase, making them resistant to browning long after slicing.
Also Check: Chocolate Chip Banana Bread Recipe
Potato Salad Recipe Frequently Asked Questions
How do you make potato salad taste better?
People often have strong options on how potato salad should taste. By making it yourself, you get to control the flavors. If you like it sweeter, use sweet pickle relish or add more sugar. Or if you love mustard, make it a mustard potato salad by adding more mustard. Allow the salad to chill in the fridge while the flavors come together, then taste it and add more seasonings, onions, mustard, or mayo if it needs it.
Whats the recipe for potato salad?
Potato salad is a combination of cooked potatoes, hard-boiled eggs, celery, pickles, onions, and dressing. You can make it your own by adding more or less of your favorite ingredients.
How do you make lighter potato salad?
You can use light mayonnaise and light sour cream or greek yogurt in the dressing. And you can use less dressing and thin the dressing with a little milk so that it goes further. Other options include adding more eggs to increase the protein and adding more veggies such as radishes or tomatoes.
For The Broccoli Salad:
- Broccoli: Broccoli adds the perfect crunchy base to this salad. Chop the broccoli into small bite-sized pieces for best results.
- Apple: I recommend going for a sweeter variety for this recipe such as Gala, Honey Crisp, Ambrosia or Golden Delicious. Try to avoid using Granny smith as it may be too tart, and Red Delicious may break down due to the acid in the dressing.
- Shredded carrot: Adds a nice crunch and pop of colour to the salad. You can also finely dice the carrot instead of shredding it if preferred.
- Red onion: The onion helps to balance out the sweetness in the salad and adds some additional colour and texture. Use finely diced red onion or sub in sweet onion if preferred.
- Dried cranberries: Adds a burst of sweetness and touch of chewiness to every bite. Look for the dried cranberries sweetened with apple juice if possible to help reduce added sugar. You can also sub in raisins if desired.
- Sunflower seeds: Incorporates a nice crunch and some extra healthy fats and protein. You can also use pumpkin seeds or sliced or slivered almonds.
You May Like: Banana Pudding Recipe With Condensed Milk
Why Make This Broccoli Salad With Apples
There are a number of reasons why we are seriously crushing on this salad.
- Perfect for meal prep It makes a relatively large batch and it can sit in the fridge for several days and it just keeps getting better and better. Its the perfect salad for meal prep since you can enjoy it all week long!
- Beautiful presentation If youre looking for the ultimate salad to serve to guests, this one is perfect for entertaining ! Its absolutely gorgeous with vibrant pops of colour in every bite.
- A healthier option Most classic broccoli salad recipes generally contain quite a bit of saturated fat due to the addition of the mayo, bacon and cheese. This salad uses olive oil as its base so it consists of healthy unsaturated fats, in addition to vitamin C, A, fibre, potassium.
So now that weve established that this broccoli salad is amazing, lets talk ingredients.
Chicken Salad With Apples Faq
How do you store chicken salad?I personally think this chicken salad is best served right away because the apples and nuts can get soft the longer they sit in the dressing. However, if you must store, or have leftover chicken salad, store in the refrigerator in an airtight container or a well covered bowl. If you are planning to store the chicken salad for a while, Id suggest mixing the nuts in right before serving as they can get soft the longer they sit in the dressing.
Can you freeze chicken salad?No, I do not recommend freezing this chicken salad. I mean technically you can freeze it, but you will probably be disappointed with how it turns out after thawed.
How long does chicken salad last?As I mentioned above, I think this chicken salad is best served right away or within a few hours but can last a few days in an airtight container in the refrigerator for a few days. The longer you store it, the softer the apples and nuts will get.
What can I substitute for the mayo?For a no mayo chicken salad, you could substitute plain Greek yogurt or even Miracle Whip if thats more your thing.
What can I substitute for the nuts?You can substitute any type of nuts for the walnuts, but if you dont want any nuts you can omit them entirely or chopped celery would be a nice crunchy alternative.
What can I substitute for the apple?If you dont like apple, you could try substituting a firm pear or even chopped grapes or dried cranberries.
You May Like: Best Recipes To Make At Home
How To Make Apple Salad
This recipe is so quick and easy that it is doable anytime you have about ten minutes to spare. Simply cube the apples and toss with the lemon juice. Next slice the celery, halve the grapes, and chop the pecans. Then in a large bowl whisk together the mayonnaise and brown sugar. Now add the apples, celery, grapes, pecans, and cranberries. Then stir to coat. Cover and chill for at least 30 minutes prior to serving.
How Else Can I Customize The Salad
You May Like: Mediterranean Diet Recipes Low Carb
Whats In Waldorf Salad
The Waldorf salad is said to have originated over 100 years ago at the Waldorf hotel in New York City. Starting out as a simple salad of apples, celery, and mayonnaiseingredients that are in season all year longover the years its flavor was tweaked with the addition of grapes and nuts added to the mix.
My grandmas recipe pretty much follows course with these ingredients and the addition of whipped cream to add extra fluff:
- Tart apples
- Whipped cream
Add Greek Yogurt To Waldorf Salads Dressing
The dressing for Waldorf salad always starts with mayonnaise. In fact, you could get away with using only mayo, but because this salad deserves a topping thats more than just one note of flavor, I add my grandmas secret ingredient.
Grandmas secret ingredient for this dressing issssssswhipped cream.
Now, you could go ahead and sub the whipped cream with plain Greek yogurt or even sour cream, and I have. But, I encourage you to try both ingredient combos and decide for yourself which you prefer.
If you prefer, use 2 tablespoons Greek yogurt or sour cream instead of the suggested 1/2 cup whipped cream.
Read Also: Bonefish Fresh Apple Martini Recipe
How To Make Cucumber Salad
My very favorite thing about salads is how simple they are. This cucumber apple salad requires almost no thought, no time, and no hassle. What a winning recipe! All you have to do is chop up the cucumbers, radishes, and apples, and mix them together. Then make the cucumber salad dressing by mixing the mayonnaise, apple cider vinegar, lemon juice, and parsley. Lastly, toss the veggies with the dressing, and let it sit in the refrigerate to get cool and crisp before serving.
Honeycrisp Apple Salad Recipe
Fresh and easy Honeycrisp apple salad recipe that can be made in a just a few minutes. The perfect side dish for any lunch or dinner!
This post was first published in 2013. It has been completely updated with new images and more information.
Im sharing this Honeycrisp apple salad recipe today in honor of my mom. When my mom was cooking for our family of six, she made this quite a bit, and it was always a treat. As some of you may remember, my mom was diagnosed with dementia in 2009, and passed away in 2016. When she first began showing signs of her illness, my dad began to spend time in the kitchen with her, and she taught him how to make some of their favorite dishes. Over the years since then, he has simplified many of the recipes to make things easier, as is the case with this apple salad. This Honeycrisp apple salad is actually my dads version, and it has such a fresh taste. I tend to make more apple recipes in the fall, but not this one. This apple salad is delicious any time of the year!
Don’t Miss: Veg Soup Recipes For Weight Loss
Recipe Notes And Helpful Tips
- Enjoy this salad with your favorite crisp apples. Experiment with new varieties added to your classic good old standbys.
- Feel free to substitute your favorite seedless grapes for the seedless red grapes. Just slice them in half. Read here to learn how to quickly cut grapes in half.
- Prepare this salad up to 24 hours in advance and store in an airtight container in the refrigerator until serving time.
- Substitute chopped walnuts, pistachios, macadamia nuts, pine nuts, or sunflower seeds for the pecans.
- Store leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up 3 days.
- This salad does not freeze well.
What Apples Are Best For This Salad
I like to use Honeycrisp Apples but any crisp crunchy apple will work well. Pink Lady Apples also known as Cripps Pink, Jazz Apples, Fuji Apples, Braeburn Apples, and even Granny Smith Apples are just some of our favorites. They come out with new delicious apples all the time so feel free to experiment with your favorites.
You May Like: Easy Vegetarian Recipes For Picky Eaters
What Is In Chicken Salad
There are generally three parts to a basic chicken salad
- Chicken precooked and could be shredded or chopped. You could even use canned or a rotisserie chicken.
- Dressing sometimes just mayo, but could be yogurt and have other things like mustard, herbs/spices, and sometimes even a sweetener like honey, sugar, or maple syrup.
- Mix-ins some popular things to add are chopped nuts , grapes, cranberries, cheese, apple, veggies , and even raisins. Have even heard people using blueberries, broccoli, and anything else they have around!
You really can mix and match your favorites for a whole new chicken salad recipe.
How To Serve Apple Salad
Apple salad can be prepared immediately prior to serving, but the flavors are best if you make it in advance and let it sit in the refrigerator overnight. This allows the flavors to meld together.
If you are serving this at a potluck where it will sit out all day, I recommend placing it in an iced serving bowl to ensure the mayo dressing stays cold. Letting a mayo-based product sit at room temperature for hours and hours on end is asking for food poisoning otherwise.
Recommended Reading: Recipe Ideas Based On Ingredients