Easy Sugar Cookies For Kids
Easy Sugar Cookies for Kids to Make: Star Cookies
Its super quick to whip up a batch of these sugar cookies in the oven.
The dough was made before our guests arrived and we popped them in the oven just before they arrived.
Easy Sugar Cookies for Kids to Make: Snowman Cookies
The kids were jumping up and down when the cookies were on the cooling rack.
Then, they played over an hour, sweetly, with the sugar icing and our wide selection of silver decorating balls, sugar butterflies and mini candy covered chocolate balls and chocolate drops.
I have about 12 different types of cookie decorating toppings and all have been used! They had a blast!!!!
We told them that they could take the sugar cookies home as the icing needs to set first. It worked. They enjoyed look at their pretty sugar cookies and showing them off rather than eating them all. They left with a bag of decorated icing cookies rather than sugar-loaded bodies that would be unable to go sleep. What a great strategy!!!
So, I highly recommend decorating sugar cookies as a fun and easy kids activity. It helps if there is an adult or older kid working along side with them. The 11-year old girl was able to take the cookie tray out of the oven. She also supervised and helped the two younger kids. She has taken a few cake decorating classes and was able to make the gorgeous butterfly cookie, snowman cookie and flower cookie that you see in the pictures her. Shes talented, isnt she?!
How Do You Make Sugar Cookies
For these sugar cookies, you dont even need to chill for 3-4 hours or overnight, just 15 minutes in the fridge after rolling and then right into the oven.
2. Working with one half at a time, place the ball of dough on a sheet of parchment paper or nonstick baking mat and roll out to about ¼ inch thickness. If you like them thicker or thinner, thats fine too, just remember the thicker the cookie, the less cookies youll yield.
3. Pop the rolled dough into the fridge for 15 minutes to chill, then remove and cut into shapes with your favorite cookie cutters. Place them about an inch apart on your baking sheet.
4. Bake the cookies in the oven for 8-9 minutes , take them out of the oven, and let them cool on the baking sheet for about 5 minutes before transferring to a cooling rack to cool completely.
Easy Christmas Cookies For Kids
Baking with kids doesnt have to be hard! Whether youre looking for a fun Christmas baking activity to make with the kids or grandchildren, Ive got you covered with 5 EASY Christmas cookie decorating ideas! These are also great cookies for cookie decorating parties, as they dont require a lot of skill!
Each of these easy Christmas cookies has pictures, making them easy to print off or pull up on the iPad for kids to replicate!
Don’t Miss: Healthy Crock Pot Recipes For Weight Loss
Easy Sugar Cookies The Recipe
Ingredients for these sugar cookies
- 100g butter
- 100g sugar
- 1 medium free-range egg
- 275g flour
- 1.5 tsp Madagascar vanilla extract . 1.5 tsp is generous in most cases.
Ingredients for the cookie decorations
- 400g icing* sugar
- 3 tbsp. water
- 2 drops Wiltons food coloring
- loads of cake decorating toppings: sugar and fondant shapes: balls, butterflies, hearts, etc. in a range of colors. + various chocolate details.
Tip: for fancier designs, split the icing sugar amount in half and make 2 batches, each with a different food coloring drop.
Tips For Baking Christmas Cookies With Kids
- Involve the Kids: Let the kids mix & help cut out the sugar cookie dough! Since were just making circle cookies, you dont have to worry about the cookies spreading because even if they do, they will still be circles! Sugar cookies are most kids favorite cookies since its like edible playdoh!
- Create Individual Stations: For decorating, give each child a plate of cookies and bowl of M& Ms. Depending on their age, it may be easiest for you to frost the cookies first so that all they have to do is decorate.
- Print Photos: To give them a visual for what theyre making, you can print off a picture from this post or bring up the images on an iPad.
- Baking with Toddlers: If youre baking with toddlers, you can use these easy Christmas cookies as a fun way to teach them words like eyes, nose, mouth! Help them identify each part of the face and allow them to assist in pressing on the M& Ms.
- Have fun! If nothing else, remember that christmas baking for kids is supposed to be FUN. Dont stress about getting the perfect cookieits all about the experience!
You May Like: Sour Cream And Onion Dip Recipe
Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Cookies
Nothing says fall holiday fun quite like pumpkin. Start baking these in the fall and keep making them with your little ones through the end of the year. Barnes’ pumpkin chocolate chip recipe has fiber-rich oats and whole-wheat flour instead of unbleached white flour.
“As a dietitian, I always like to add nutrient-packed ingredients to recipes when possible,” Barnes says. “My kids and I love the pumpkin chocolate chip bread from our local market, so I wanted to make a version at home with less added sugar, and I thought cookies would be a fun alternative! I chose whole wheat flour and oats to add more fiber to the recipe and reduced the added sugar to make it a better-for-you treat. My kids love to stir the ingredients together, and there’s always a battle over who gets to crack the egg. Of course, adding in the chocolate chips is their very favorite part!”
|Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Cookies|
Do You Need To Chill The Dough
Ok, lets talk. Chilling cookie dough is annoying. I get it. SO, this cookie recipe requires ZERO chilling. Are you excited? Lets talk about what that means
- Use cold butter: To make the cookie dough slightly chilled right when its made. Just cube the cold butter when you mix it with your sugar and it will be fine! You mix the butter and sugar together for 2 minutes, so everything will be mixed. Just make sure to scrape the sides of the mixing bowl as necessary so everything is combined evenly.
- Can I chill the dough if I want to? If you are prepping your holiday baking in advance and would prefer to chill the dough so you have things made ahead you ABSOLUTELY can. It isnt going to hurt the dough to chill it, you just dont have to!
- What about complex cookie shapes? Does chilling help? What if you are using a VERY intricate cookie cutter and want to make sure you have precise edges? If I am using a very detailed cutter what I will do is make the dough, roll it out, cut out my cookie and pop it in the fridge to chill for 30 or so minutes. This isnt necessary, but if youre concerned, its a step that cant hurt!
Don’t Miss: Recipes Aidells Chicken Apple Sausage
What Do I Do If My Rolled Out Dough Is Sticky
A easy way to make sure that the cut outs transfer easily to the baking sheet is to dust the parchment paper with flour. That should take care of sticking.
Or, you can roll out the dough, stamp out the shape, and put the whole thing into the fridge for 10 minutes before transferring the shapes to the prepared baking sheet.
Both are good options!
Easy To Make Delicious Sugar Cookies Made Simple For Children And Adults
i love sugar cookies, but most sugar cookie recipes are complicated and require refrigerating the dough, and ingredients, like buttermilk, that most of us dont readily have on hand. I have found a very simple sugar cookie recipe on the web that is so easy to make that even young kids can measure and make with little supervision. Often times, my cookie dough sticks. This doesnt happy with this dough. Actually, my cookies depend on my attitude if Im tired or not. However, to have little hands helping me and eating the cookies helps to make this baking enjoyable. This, also, can be made into an annual family Christmas event.
SIMPLE SUGAR COOKIE RECIPE
1 cup softened butter or margarine
1 cup sugar
1. In large mixing bowl, cream butter, sugar, egg and vanilla extract, until blended.
2. Add Flour and baking powder and mix well.
3. Once mixed you can choose what shape you want your Simple Sugar Cookies to be. To make traditional round sugar cookies, scoop out teaspoons full of dough, roll into small balls and flatten with fork to about 1/4 thickness. Little ones can help with this. Actually this is an easy recipe to let your older children make their cookies. The whole family can pitch in and help with this while the Christmas songs are playing. If its cold, prepare some Hot Chocolate and eat those freshly baked cookies. Hmm, good.
5. Bake 7-8 minutes until just starting to brown around the edges.
7. These Simple Sugar Cookies are great with or without frosting.
Don’t Miss: Low Fat Low Cholesterol Recipes
Bake The Cookies And Freeze Undecorated:
To really cut corners and save yourself time, prep the dough, roll it out, and cut and bake the cookies.
Store the baked cookies in single layers between wax paper in a hard-edge container in the freezer to avoid breakage.
Then you can just thaw and decorate right before your event.
This is a perfect way to prep make-ahead Christmas cookies so your kids can just enjoy the fun part: Decorating!
My Favorite Cut Out Sugar Cookies
I am CRAZY excited about today! I showing you how to make sugar cookies from scratch!
One of the most common questions I get from readers on social media and my email is, Do you have a perfect sugar cookie recipe?
And the answer is YES! This cut-out sugar cookie recipe is the one I have been using for 14 years. I havent deviated from this recipe since I started making it so many years ago because its perfection.
Don’t Miss: Pina Colada Recipe Fresh Pineapple
Tips For Baking With Kids
As I mentioned, I often bake the cookies and then let the kids decorate them. It can be a challenge to bake an entire recipe with two kids in the kitchenI find it a lot to manage!but it can also be fun if youre in the right mental state of mind.
To make it a little easier, bring the ingredients down to a work surface everyone can reach , and help the kids remember to do one step at a time.
This dough is relatively forgiving, so its okay if it gets mixed well! Here are some specific steps the kids can do:
- Help dump the ingredients into a bowl.
- Mix the butter into the flour with their hands.
- Roll out the dough between the parchment paper.
- Stamp out the cookie cutters.
- Paint on the icing with a paintbrush!
TIP: You can ALWAYS simplify this down to just one step to do togetherthat will still be fun!
How To Store And Freeze
- Store leftover cookies in an airtight container for up to three days at room temperature.
- The dough freezes nicely for baking later. Roll into balls and spread out on a lined baking sheet. Freeze for at least an hour before transferring to a zip-top freezer bag. Store for up to three months. Bake directly from frozen , adding a minute or two to the bake time.
- You can also freeze baked cookies. Separate with small squares of parchment or wax paper and store in an airtight container or zip-top bag. Freeze for up to three months and defrost in the fridge or on the countertop before enjoying.
Don’t Miss: Veggie Smoothie Recipes For Weight Loss
Whip Up These Sugar Cookies With Your Children
As parents, its hard to find a suitable recipe to make with your children. From spilled almond milk to flour everywhere, its often better to do the baking yourself and let your children do the eating. However, with this fool-proof recipe, even your kids can enjoy baking with you!
Bake these sugar cookies with your little ones today!
- 1 1/2 cups confectioners sugar
- 1 cup butter flavored shortening
- 1 egg
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cream of tartar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F . Lightly grease your cookie sheets.
- Mix the sugar, shortening, egg, vanilla, and almond extract until creamy. Mix in the flour, baking soda, and cream of tartar. Make several small balls of dough. Roll out dough to about 1/8 or 1/4 inch thick. Cut into desired shapes with cookie cutters. Place cookies onto the prepared sheets.
- Bake at 350 degrees F for 8 to 10 minutes, depending upon whether you like hard or soft cookies. Remove cookies and let cool on a rack. Serve warm with a glass of almond milk!
Through education and planning, the team at Boys & Girls Clubs of Greater Conejo Valley offers your child the opportunity to learn while having fun. To get your children involved with a great camp that is ideal for them, contact us today! We have many programs that encourage outdoor activities, personal development, and fun!
How To Make Christmas Sugar Cookies
Start with room temperature butter. You should be able to press your finger into the stick of butter and make an indent easily, without your finger sliding anywhere. Firm, but not cold.
The cookie dough is relatively soft and thick. I compare the cookie dough to the consistency of play-doh. Before chilling the cookie dough, roll it out. Yes, roll the cookie dough out before chilling! With all of my recipe testing, I learned that this method is so much easier than chilling the cookie dough as a whole and then trying to roll out a cold chunk of dough.
To make rolling easier, divide the sugar cookie dough in half its easier to roll out smaller sections of dough. Roll out the dough to about 1/4 inch thickness on parchment paper or a silicone baking mat. Place on a baking sheet and chill in the refrigerator.
After chilling, cut into shapes with cookie cutters.
Bake until the edges are very lightly browned.
Make the icing as directed in the recipe above. If you drizzle a little icing off the whisk into the bowl, the ribbon of icing will hold for a few seconds before melting back into the icing. Thats when you know its the right consistency. At this point, you can color the icing if desired or just begin decorating.
A squeeze bottle makes things easy. Have fun!
Read Also: Bloody Mary Recipe With Premade Mix
What Makes This Recipe The Best
- The flavor is buttery and delicious
- The dough doesnt need to be chilled before rolling and cutting out shapes, and they hold crisp edges when baked, so theyre great for all cookie cutters! The edges are crisp and sweet, and the centers are soft and chewy.
Have I convinced you yet? Once you try my recipe, youll agree that these are the best sugar cookies ever!
Healthy Sugar Cookies Perfect For Decorating
These sugar cookies are perfect for decorating with your toddler and kids this holiday season! This recipe is simple and delicious, and its super versatile you can sub in different flours and more to make it suit your preferences, whether thats gluten-free, egg-free, dairy-free, or artificial dye-free. They can be made healthier than your typical sugar cookies.
In this guide, youll find:
Also Check: Dunkin Donuts Cold Brew Recipe
Gummy Bear Thumbprint Cookies
Image: The Baking Robot
Melt your favourite colour gummy bear in the middle of these cookies for a completely different cookie surprise. This thumbprint cookie recipe by The Baking Robot is simple to follow and ideal for getting your children involved in the fun of baking.
Have your say! Easy cookie recipes are essential with kids whats your favourite? Leave a comment below and let us know wed love to hear from you!
Like this? Share it with your network!
Like this? Share it with your network!
Easy Cookie Recipes You Can Bake With The Kids
Like this? Share it with your network!
Like this? Share it with your network!
Cookies and kids just go together dont they? So why not have some fun family-time baking, with these 8 Easy Cookie Recipes you can do with the kids? We dont think youll have too much problem getting cookie tasters either!
Dont miss our best content straight to your inbox! and get our FREE newsletters packed with fun ideas and things to do with the kids, family-friendly recipes, expert advice, parenting tips and great competitions.
Baking cookies is not only a treat to eat, but a fun activity to do together. Even toddlers can get hands-on because most recipes are quite forgiving. Then, as your child grows, they can take on more responsibility and make these with your supervision.
If you are a novice baker, dont panic! Start with these easy cookie recipes and youll soon learn the basics. If youre looking for even more baking inspiration, weve got cookies for Valentines Day, Easter, Halloween and Christmas that are sure to go down a treat!
You May Like: Best Smoked Pulled Pork Recipe