How To Make Margaritas For A Crowd
This recipe makes enough for 2 margaritas, but if youd like to scale that up, feel free to use the measurements listed below:
- For 4 servings: 1 cup tequila + ½ cup lime juice + ¼ cup agave + ½ teaspoon orange extract
- For 8 servings: 2 cups tequila + 1 cup lime juice + ½ cup agave + 1 teaspoon orange extract
- For 12 servings: 3 cups tequila + 1.5 cups lime juice + ¾ cup agave + 1.5 teaspoons orange extract
- For 16 servings: 4 cups tequila + 2 cups lime juice + 1 cup agave + 2 teaspoons orange extract
Just for You
Tips For Making The Best Homemade Margaritas
I prefer my margaritas boldly tart but sweet enough to balance the tartness, and Im not shy with the tequila. Youll need to find the exact ratio of ingredients that you enjoy best.
Small changes can have a big effect on taste. Like a half shot glass of lime juice or a small drizzle of agave can really make a difference. Play around with this fresh margarita recipe to find your happy place, pun intended.
You can doctor up the basic mixture as you like by adding other liquors or add a handful of strawberries, put it all in a blender, and youve got a frozen strawberry margarita in seconds.
Its also worth mentioning that you want to look for really juicy limes. In general, paler green limes and those with yellow spots, as well as those with thin skin are juicier than darker-skinned limes or those with thicker skin. Medium/large limes seem to release their juice easier than small limes.
More Easy Party Foods
Prep Time: Total Time:
The easiest margarita is just 3 ingredients away with minimal effort and maximum refreshment! Just in time for the weekend!
- 1.5 ounces tequila
- 1 ounce orange liqueur
- 3 ounces limeade
Read Also: High Protein Low Sugar Smoothie Recipes
Easy 3 Ingredient Margarita Recipe
But when times are stressful and I am just ready to prop my feet up I dont want to pull out 17 ingredients to make a cocktail. I want a drink in my hand PRONTO!
So how do you make a margarita that is easy and tasty?
Simple and pure. With high quality ingredients, you dont need much fluff.
With so many variations out there lets start with the basics.
This post may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Read my disclosure policy here.
Skip The Lime Garnish
You probably have one or two extra limes lying around after making all that lovely fresh juice. Dont slice them into wedges to use as garnishes, no matter how natural that seems.
Why? Because your drink is perfectly balanced at this point. By adding a lime wedge, you are inviting someone to squeeze it into their drink. That will throw off the citric balance of the cocktail, Mor says. Instead, he suggests expressing an orange peel on top, giving the drink a citrusy aroma without the threat of more acid. Margaritas, like most things in life, are all about balance.
Also Check: Red Mountain Weight Loss Recipes
What Variations Of This Fresh Margarita Recipe Can I Try
- For frozen lime margaritas: Reduce lime and lemon juices to 2 tablespoons each. Increase superfine sugar to 1/4 cup and crushed ice to 4 cups. Add 3/4 cup limeade concentrate. Prepare glasses as directed. In a blender, combine tequila, Triple Sec, lime juice, lemon juice, superfine sugar, limeade concentrate and crushed ice cover and process until smooth. Yield: 5 cups.
- For frozen strawberry margaritas: Follow directions for Frozen Lime Margaritas, except add 2 cups frozen unsweetened strawberries and reduce crushed ice to 2 cups. Yield: 4 cups.
Research contributed by Sarah Fischer, Taste of Home Culinary Assistant
The Best Of Life Magazine Margarita Recipes Without Triple Sec
There are hundreds of thousands of cocktail recipes out there available to anyone who wants one. But Margaritas are the clear choice for The Best of Life Magazine. Margaritas come in so many different flavors, dont require a degree in bartending, and are delicious!
You can even make margaritas in different ways. Thats the biggest benefit of a margarita. Dont have or want Triple Sec? No problem, you can still make margaritas. You can even go above and beyond by adding fruit to your cocktail. Summer gets better behind a margarita glass.
Also Check: Paleo Recipes For Weight Loss
How To Make A Homemade Margarita
Ingredients:homemade margarita mixice
Add 1 shot of tequila and half a shot of triple sec to a . Add the ice and fill the rest of the glass with homemade margarita mix.
Its super simple! Dont forget to salt your rim and try a lime-flavored salt if youd like.
This homemade margarita mix is perfect for parties. You can easily tweak the proportions to make a large or small batch depending on how many youll be serving!
You could even use a cast iron pot like this when making a bigger batch of mix.
How To Make This Drink Recipe
STEP 1: Combine all ingredients to a glass starting with 2 tablespoons of maple syrup and add 1-2 more if you like it sweeter. Whisk together and pour over ice into two glasses. Garnish with fresh mint.
STEP 2: If you like salt, dip the rim of the glasses into water then dip into salt to line the tops of the glasses before pouring the skinny margaritas into them. Garnish with fresh mint.
Read Also: Cuban Mojito Recipe Havana Club
How To Make The Best Margarita
Making an awesome margarita at home is easy! Heres what you need to do:
- First, salt the rim of a margarita glass. Rub it with a wedge of lime and dip the top of the glass in a small plate of salt. Big tip: Your glass needs to be empty in order to do this step, so always remember to salt the rim of the glass before you pour your cocktail! After you salt the rim of the glass, fill it with ice.
- Next, shake up your drink! Add the tequila, orange liqueur, freshly squeezed lime juice, and agave to a cocktail shaker with ice, and shake to combine. Then, strain the mixture into the glass with the salted rim.
- Finally, taste and adjust. In order to make a cocktail you really love, youre going to have to taste and adjust. If you prefer a sweeter drink, stir in more agave, simple syrup, or even a splash of orange juice. If you like a stiffer drink, mix in more tequila and Cointreau. I like mine really tangy, just as the recipe is written. Garnish your glass with a lime slice, and enjoy!
Oh, and if you dont have a cocktail shaker, dont worry about it! You can just as easily stir together this margarita recipe in a glass.
How To Make A Margarita From Scratch
This is a super simple margarita recipe trust me, a drink this good doesnt need any fussy ingredients or extra steps! This is technically a margarita on the rocks recipe since I poured the mixture over ice feel free to omit if desired.
Heres how to make homemade margaritas:
See? Making a margarita without mix is so easy!
Don’t Miss: Balanced Diet For Dogs Recipes
Recipe Tips And Variations
- Dont have a cocktail shaker? You can stir all of the ingredients in a separate glass, shake them in a mason jar, or simply pour all of the ingredients into the prepared iced glass. Shh! I wont tell.
- If you want something more than a traditional salted rim, you can add some Tajin seasoning for a Mexican spicy kick!
- If you prefer a sweeter margarita, you can add a bit of agave syrup or simple syrup to your liking.
- To make a spicy margarita, add a thin slice or two of a jalapeno or serrano pepper into the cocktail shaker along with the tequila and press down on them lightly with a muddler to release the juices and oils into the alcohol. Then add in the remaining ingredients and make as normal.
How To Make The Best Skinny Margaritas
Skinny margaritas are easy to make.
Read Also: Easy Gluten And Dairy Free Recipes
Which Orange Liqueur Is Best For Margaritas
Triple sec and Cointreau are the two types of orange liqueur that are often used in margaritas. Theyre both acceptable to use, but I prefer one over the other depending on the type of margarita.
When making this classic margarita, I prefer using Cointreau because of its smoother finish and more balanced flavors.
When making blended fruity margaritas, I prefer using triple sec since its straightforward orange flavor is often diluted in the drink.
Sometimes Grand Marnier is used instead of triple sec or Cointreau, but it is not a traditional ingredient in a margarita.
How Do You Serve It
The only thing that I get fancy on is the garnish! And by fancy, I mean cutting my lime garnish three different ways. Keeping with the theme of three here!
The traditional lime wedge is great, but I love the look of a lime wheel or slice. It just gives off a presence on the rim of the glass that you cant help but smile at. My third one is a lime curl or twist.
This easy margarita is meant to be easy so if you dont want to work for a garnish, screw it and just toss in a lime wedge and drink on.
You May Like: Homemade Dog Food Sensitive Stomach Recipe
Dont Forget The Lime Juice
I highly recommend using fresh lime juice when making margaritas. It simply has a fresher and more balanced tart flavor than bottled lime juice.
If you do decide to use bottled store bought lime juice as a shortcut , try to use the kind that is not from concentrate. Santa Cruz Organic pure lime juice is a great option!
Recommended Tools For Margarita Makin
Save this recipe for later!
And hey! If youre thinking about makin this recipe, or you already have, would you leave a comment and rating to let me know?! I love to hear when yall make these recipes!
Prep Time: Total Time:
With Cinco de Mayo around the corner, these Simple Orange Lime Margaritas are perfect to have on your menu. They are made with fresh squeezed orange juice, lime juice, triple sec and tequila for a simple, flavorful and fun margarita recipe! This is a twist on a classic margarita recipe that you’re definitely going to want to try.
- ¾ cup fresh orange juice
- ¼ cup fresh lime juice
- 1 ounce triple sec
- ¼ cup sugar for rim, optional
Also Check: Cookies And Cream Milkshake Recipe
Is Triple Sec Required In A Margarita
Triple sec is one of the key ingredients in a margarita. It acts as the drink’s sweetener and adds a hint of orange flavor. You can use another orange liqueur, such as curaçao, and the Cadillac margarita uses the brandy-based Grand Marnier. Though definitely not an authentic margarita, some people prefer to skip the liqueur and use simple syrup with a squeeze of fresh orange juice instead . With these changes, you will need to play with the proportions to create a well-balanced margarita.
Classic Margarita Recipe Ingredients
To make this classic margarita recipe, you need 6 simple ingredients:
- Tequila Use any good-quality blanco tequila in this recipe. We like this brand, but feel free to use your favorite!
- Orange Liqueur We like Cointreau. Triple sec or Grand Marnier would work here too.
- Lime juice For the best results, squeeze fresh lime juice right before you make your cocktails. I like my margarita to be pretty tart, so I use an equal amount of lime juice and tequila.
- Something sweet I sweeten mine with agave syrup or homemade simple syrup.
- Salt For the rim of your glass. I use fine sea salt, but kosher salt could work here too.
- And ice! Because a great margarita is always on the rocks.
Find the complete recipe with measurements below.
Recommended Reading: Maker’s Mark Recipe Ingredients
Best Fresh Margarita Recipe
What should I make for dinner tonight? This might just be the number one question that we ask ourselves almost daily over here.
Then you have come to the right place, we have rounded up 15 best fresh margarita recipe that we have shared over the years.
Plus, there is such a variety of flavours in these recipes, so you are sure to find something for you. Most of these recipes are quick and easy ones made especially for busy weeknights.
Where Does My Recipe Come From
I don’t drink a lot of margaritas, but about 5 years ago, my friend Kate noted that her dad “makes a killer margarita,” and of course, we all had to get the recipe. She said:
“I always go back to this. My dad has it written on a manila file folder. The ‘serves 5’ makes me laugh. That’s 4 shots of tequila per person, and my parents rarely drink.”
It makes me laugh too! Although, a pitcher of margaritas sounds perfect for an evening with friends, don’t you think?
According to Kate:
“Apparently before they had kids, my dad was quite the margarita maker. My aunt and uncle have described how he would put ice in the blender to crush it for the drinks. Then they completely stopped drinking alcohol while we were under 21.”
Kate’s dad, Ron, had lost the recipe that he liked. So he looked up several recipes, wrote the ingredients in a grid to compare amounts, and settled on this recipe, written on a manila folder for safekeeping.
I adore that scientific approach!
I’ve scaled this recipe down a bit, but I keep the same ratios. I simply juice my limes to see how much juice I have, and add the right amount of ingredients from there. But read on – I have an actual recipe for you as well.
You May Like: Quick Easy Pork Chop Recipes
How To Make A Pitcher Of Margaritas:
Detailed instructions are included in the recipe below, but here is a brief overview of how to make pitcher margaritas:
What Makes A Skinny Margarita
Admittedly, these are not ‘skinny’ in the sense they are low calorie or any of that nonsense. I’ve found that at most Mexican restaurants, ‘skinny margarita’ refers to the way this one is made – with fresh lime juice and agave nectar – rather than with a mix.
Although sometimes skinny can mean that it’s made with artificial sweeteners to lower the sugar content. That is not this recipe.
Recommended Reading: Peanut Butter Banana Dog Treats Recipe
The Story Behind The Simple Margarita
The Margarita is a universally beloved cocktail its not only Americas top cocktail, but the most favored tequila cocktail in the world. Despite its international acclaim, its often thought of as a traditional Mexican drink. It might not be as Mexican as you think, though. The origins of this citrusy concoction are actually quite contested, with a slew of people from Tijuanan restaurant owners to Texan socialites asserting that they created it.
The recipe is simple enough for any one of their claims to be believable. Its also undoubtedly delicious earning it a spot on the menu of just about every bar in America. If you want to whip up a Marg at home, however, look no further. This simplified recipe calls for simple syrup or agave as a replacement for triple sec, offering an extra bit of sweetness to cut through the cocktails tart flavor profile.
A Note About Measuring
In the recipe section, I referred to the ingredients as shots. Some recipes use ounces, cups, and shots, all in one. Holy confusion after youve had a few.
The very average-sized shot glass I use holds the same amount of liquid as a 1/4-cup measure, which makes it easy to make the recipe in bulk. X parts this to Y parts that.
While you could technically share the recipe as written, after having one, youll want another. So plan on it serving one, nicely. You can sip worry-free since theres no granulated sugar.
They go down so incredibly easy. Especially on vacation.
Recommended Reading: Essential Oil Roller Bottle Recipe For Plantar Fasciitis