List Of Natures Recipe Recalls
Cause: Potential for salmonella. Announcement: Company news release dated . What was recalled: The following 19-ounce pouches of Natures Recipe Oven Baked Biscuits With Real Chicken:
- Lot Code 2199TP and Best By date of Oct. 11, 2013
- Lot Code 2200TP and Best By date of Oct. 12, 2013
Cause: Mycotoxin contamination. Announcement: Company news release dated . What was recalled: The entire Natures Recipe pet food line produced and shipped May 17July 20, 1995, including the following dog and cat foods:
- Natures Recipe Maintenance Lamb and Rice
- Natures Recipe Puppy Performance and Lactation Lamb and Rice
- Natures Recipe Chicken Rice and Barley
- Natures Recipe Maintenance Lamb, Rice and Barley
- Natures Recipe Senior Pension
- Natures Recipe Optimum Feline Maintenance
- Natures Recipe Optimum Feline Lite
If you have not done so already, we urge you to sign up now for Petfuls FREE recall alerts by email. Our free alerts are saving pets lives.
How To Store Reheat And Freeze
This homemade dog food will last 5-7 days in the refrigerator and up to 3 months in the freezer. We usually make a weeks worth of food at a time and store it in the refrigerator. We store all of the meals in simple Tupperware containers and we ALWAYS save our plastic take-out containers and re-use them for Rascals Dog Food.
When eating time rolls around, simply nuke it in the microwave for 30-60 seconds and cool slightly before serving.
For freezing, I recommend freezer-safe containers or freezer zip-top bags. Thaw overnight in the fridge before feeding and reheat as directed.
Tools Needed For Cooking Dog Food At Home
- Food Processor: Before I start cooking a batch of homemade dog food, I blend up all the vegetables in my food processor. This Cuisinart food processor is my go-to. Its a bit smaller than traditional food processors but works just as well as a larger model. Blending up the veggies nice and fine will speed up the cooking process.
- Dutch Oven: I make the entire batch in my large Le Creuset round Dutch oven. I love using a Dutch oven because I can ground the meat first, and then finish off the batch right in the same pot. The process is very similar to making chili except for dogs. Ya knowDog Chili. .
- Measuring Cups: Rascal has his own set of measuring cups now because it makes measuring out food ingredients and the finished batch WAY easier.
- Meal Prep Containers: This is basically meal prepping for your dog, so you will need some great Tupperware.
Also Check: Hot Tottie Recipe With Jack Daniels
Ingredients For Rascals Homemade Dog Food:
- Olive oil
- All-Natural chicken stock or water
- Macaroni noodles
Note: We add in a supplement nutrient blend from a company called Just Food For Dogs very similar to dog vitamins as well as Omega oil to make sure he is getting enough healthy fats. I highly recommend adding both of these into your dog food so you can rest assure that they are getting proper nutrients.
Homemade Dog Food Recipe Faq
How much homemade dog food should my dog eat?
This will definitely vary from dog to dog and I highly recommend speaking to your vet before going homemade. Generally speaking, for every 10 lbs your dog weighs is roughly 1/2 cup of prepared food.
Rascal weighs 75 lbs and we feed him about 3-3.5 cups of food per meal .
Is it cheaper to feed your dog homemade food?
Homemade dog food is more affordable than you might think. Its very relative to how large your dog is, but Ill break down the numbers for you The last dry kibble dog food Rascal was prescribed was over $90 a bag. A homemade batch costs us roughly
- 3 lbs ground turkey $10.49
- 2 lbs sweet potatoes $5.19
- 3 carrots $1.04
Also Check: Easy Healthy Smoothie Recipes For Breakfast
What Kind Of Dog Food Does Natures Recipe Offer
When it comes to their dog food products, Natures Recipe offers a decent variety. Natures Variety dog foods can be divided into three categories: Life Stages, Special Needs, and Premium.
Life Stages formulas include classic recipes for puppies, adults and senior dogs as well as some size-specific formula for large- and small-breed dogs. The Special Needs category includes recipes that are specially designed to meet unique nutritional needs there are formulas for healthy skin, easy digestion, healthy weight, and joint health as well as some breed-specific recipes.
The Premium category includes an assortment of grain-free and limited ingredient recipes. All three of these categories include both dry food and wet food products, plus there are several kinds of Natures Recipe dog treats.
Natures Recipe Product Range
Natures Recipe has a broad range of dog food products. This product range includes both dry dog food and wet/canned dog food with both ranges having a similar number of recipes.
In addition, the range from Natures Recipe includes some specialized recipes such as those for puppies, large breed dogs, and small breed dogs.
Lastly, Natures Recipe produces a mix of grain-free and grain-inclusive dog food recipes
Recommended Reading: Cold Buffalo Chicken Dip Recipe
About Natures Recipe & Big Heart Pet Brands
Natures Recipe was firsts launched around 35 years ago by Big Heart Pet Brands, a large U.S.-based pet products manufacturer and distributor. Big Heart is now owned by the J. M. Smucker Company, one of the biggest manufacturing companies around. Big Heart Pet Brands manufactures and sells dozens of different brands of dog and cat products, such as Gravy Train, Milos Kitchen, and a few other well-known brands.
While the Natures Recipe brand itself hasnt faced too many issues, its manufacturer has gone through ups and downs from lawsuits and recalls. We will list their recalls later in this review. Although recalls are a reason to be concerned, many popular dog food brands have been faced with similar quality control issues.
No Whole Meats/low Protein Content: Potential Issue
Except for their Prime Blends recipes, Natures Recipe doesnt contain any whole meats. Meat meals technically have more protein, but whole meats are still vital for complete nutrition. A lack of whole meat is a sign of low protein content, so keep that in mind when shopping for your dogs diet. For dogs that need more protein, we recommend trying other dog food brands.
Read Also: Chicken And Rice Dinner Recipes
Is Fresh Food Right For My Dog
While fresh foods for dogs may be the way to go for some pups, there are cases when fresh isnt the right call, including:
- If your dog has a medical issue, they may need a prescription diet thats unavailable in fresh form.
- If your dog is allergic to an ingredient in fresh food, that reaction is likely to outweigh the benefits of fresh food.
Pet parents should also consider their own lifestyle factors:
- Can you afford to buy fresh food?
- Are you able to store the food at a frozen or refrigerated temperature to ensure it doesnt spoil?
Remember: Every dog is unique. Before making any significant change to your pets diet, its important to talk to your veterinarian, who can provide the best advice based on your pets individual health profile.
How To Prepare Fresh Dog Food
The best way to prepare and serve fresh food to your dog will depend on the type of food you choose:
- Fresh dog food in a roll: Some fresh foods for dogs, such as certain varieties of Freshpet, come packaged in a roll or tube. To serve it to your dog, cut off a slice, making sure its the correct portion size. Many rolls will have measurements printed on the packaging to help you know where to slice. Then, cut that slice into small pieces that your dog can easily chew and swallow. Store the remainder in the refrigerator until your pups next meal.
- Fresh dog food in a bag: Other fresh foods for dogs come pre-cooked in a bag, ready to open and eat. For example, Freshpets bagged recipes are gently steamed at low temperatures, then vacuum sealed and ready for the fridge. To serve, scoop the correct portion size out of the bag and drop it into your pets bowlits that easy.
If you’ve been keeping your dog food in the freezer, remember to thaw it in your refrigerator before serving it to your dog.
For any fresh dog foodor any food at all, for that matteralways read the manufacturers guidelines for serving. Remember: Its best to work with your vet to ensure youre using the correct preparation and feeding strategies.
Read Also: Morning Smoothie Recipes For Weight Loss
Is Natures Recipe Made In The United States
The Natures Recipe brand was only acquired by Big Heart Pet Brands, part of the J.M. Smucker Company, in 2015. According to a spokesperson for the Natures Variety brand, all of their dry dog food and dog treats are produced in U.S. facilities. While most of their wet food products are also made in the United States, some of their grain-free canned foods are made in Thailand.
Natures Recipe Dog Treats
In addition to an assortment of dry food and wet food options, Natures Recipe also offers a collection of dog treats. Here is a list of Natures Recipe dog treats:
- Soft Bites Made with Real Beef & Cheese
- Soft Bites Made with Real Chicken & Cheese
- Soft Minis Made with Real Bacon
- Soft Minis Made with Real Chicken
- Soft Minis Made with Real Beef
- Soft Sticks Made with Real Bacon & Cheese
- Soft Sticks Made with Real Peanut Butter
- Grain-Free Biscuits Salmon & Potato Recipe
- Grain-Free Biscuits Turkey & Sweet Potato Recipe
Recommended Reading: Recipes Using Red Lentil Pasta
Diy Dog Food Seasoning
While dogs cant have all of the same aromatics as humans can they can have a small variety of dried or fresh herbs and spices that contain great nutrients and help flavor their meals. Use a few teaspoons sprinkled on top or mixed into the food. These are some easily digestible herbs and spices to try:
Is Natures Recipe Dog Food Safe For Seniors
Many Natures Recipe formulas that contain quality protein levels and are below average in calorie and fat content can be considered safe for seniors provided they meet AAFCO nutrient standards for adult maintenance. Natures Recipe Senior Lamb Meal and Rice Recipe can make a healthy option for older animals. View The Advisors best senior dog foods here.
Don’t Miss: Traditional Beef Stew Recipe Slow Cooker
Prime Blends Salmon Barley & Chicken Recipe Review
Easy To Digest Chicken Meal, Rice, & Barley Recipe
Grain Free Easy To Digest Chicken, Sweet Potato, & Pumpkin Recipe
Grain Free Easy To Digestion Lamb, Sweet Potato, & Pumpkin Recipe
Large Breed Grain Free Easy To Digest Chicken, Sweet Potato, & Pumpkin Recipe
Grain Free Puppy Chicken, Sweet Potato & Pumpkin Recipe
Grain Free Easy to Digest Salmon, Sweet Potato, & Pumpkin Recipe
Small Breed Grain Free Easy To Digest Chicken, Sweet Potato & Pumpkin Recipe
Healthy Skin Vegetarian Recipe
Adult Chicken Meal & Rice Recipe
Prime Blends Grain Free Beef, Lamb And Potato Recipe
Adult Lamb Meal & Rice Recipe
Puppy Lamb Meal & Rice Recipe
Prime Blends Grain Free Chicken, Turkey, and Butternut Squash Recipe
Prime Blends Salmon, Barley & Chicken Recipe
Senior Lamb Meal & Rice Recipe
Prime Blends Beef, Barley & Venison Recipe
Small Bites Chicken Meal & Rice Recipe
Wet Dog Food
Prime Blends Grain Free Chicken And Lamb Recipe In Wholesome Broth
Prime Blends Chicken And Turkey Recipe In Wholesome Broth
Prime Blends Chicken And Tuna Recipe In Wholesome Broth
Prime Blends Grain Free Chicken And Beef Recipe In Wholesome Broth
Grain Free Chicken & Turkey Stew
Grain Free Easy To Digest Chicken & Venison Recipe In Broth
Stew Healthy Skin Vegetarian Recipe Cuts In Gravy
Stew Easy To Digest Chicken, Rice, & Barley Recipe Cuts In Gravy
Easy To Digest Chicken, Rice & Barley Recipe Homestyle Ground
Easy To Digest Lamb, Rice, & Barley Recipe Homestyle Ground
Chicken & Duck Recipe In Broth
Natures Recipe Canned Products
Many of the same recipes that are available in dry food form also come in canned food. Natures Recipe offers an assortment of life stages, special needs, and grain-free options for wet food including several limited-ingredient recipes. Here is a list of Natures Recipe canned dog food recipes:
Life Stages Dry Food Recipes:
- Chicken Recipe in Broth
- Chicken & Wild Salmon Recipe in Broth
- Chicken & Turkey Recipe in Broth
- Adult Lamb & Rice Recipe Cuts in Gravy
- Senior Lamb & Rice Recipe Cuts in Gravy
Special Needs Dry Food Recipes:
- Easy to Digest Chicken, Rice & Barley Cuts in Gravy
- Easy to Digest Chicken, Rice & Barley Homestyle Ground
- Easy to Digest Lamb, Rice & Barley Cuts in Gravy
- Easy to Digest Lamb, Rice & Barley Homestyle Ground
- Grain-Free Easy to Digest Chicken & Duck Recipe in Broth
- Grain-Free Easy to Digest Chicken & Venison Recipe in Broth
- Healthy Skin Vegetarian Recipe Cuts in Gravy
Grain-Free Dry Food Recipes:
- Grain-Free Chicken Recipe in Broth
- Grain-Free Ocean Fish & Tuna Recipe in Broth
Pure Essentials Dry Food Recipes:
- Grain-Free Lamb Recipe in Broth
- Grain-Free Salmon Recipe in Broth
- Grain-Free Chicken Recipe in Broth
- Venison Recipe in Broth
- Duck Recipe in Broth
Recommended Reading: Weight Loss Healthy Meal Prep Recipes
What Is Fresh Dog Food
Freshit sounds great, but what does it actually mean? Theres no legal definition of fresh when it comes to dog food, but our experts say there are four common attributes most fresh foods share:
Is Natures Recipe Dog Food Good For Puppies
Natures Recipe offers 2 nutritionally balanced puppy foods. The Grain-Free Puppy recipe features chicken, sweet potato and pumpkin as its primary ingredients. The Original Puppy formula is a grain-inclusive thats based on lamb meal, rice and barley. Each recipe meets AAFCO nutrient profiles for all life stages and is safe for large breed puppies.
Read Also: Jimmy Dean Sausage Balls Recipe With Bisquick
Which Types Of Dogs Might Do Better With A Different Brand
If you own an active or working dog, we recommend finding a dog food with higher protein content. Look for brands that have at least 22% protein content that can support your active canine, such as Purina Pro Plan Sport Performance 30/20 Dry Dog Food.
Natures Recipe is hard to digest for some dogs as weve mentioned above, even with their own sensitive stomach formula. We recommend asking your veterinarian for recommendations of dog food if your dog struggles with stomach and digestive issues.
Has Natures Recipe Pet Food Ever Been Recalled
Yes, Natures Recipe has been recalled at least 2 times since 1981, according to extensive research by Petful.
Most recently, in , some of the brands dog treats were voluntarily recalled due to possible salmonella contamination. No pet or consumer illnesses from this product have been reported, the company said, stressing that the limited recall was a result of its commitment to safety and quality.
The only other Natures Recipe recall that we could find was back in but it was a big one. The company began receiving dozens of complaints of dogs refusing to eat, and so an immediate investigation was launched. Following testing of pet food samples, mycotoxin was discovered in amounts 23 times the maximum limit allowed by federal law.
Mycotoxin can cause loss of appetite and vomiting, so just weeks after receiving those initial consumer complaints, Natures Recipe found itself voluntarily recalling a whopping 7,500 tons of its dog and cat foods.
A specific date range of the entire Natures Recipe line of 14 pet foods was pulled around the world, and the products remained off some store shelves for as long as 2 months. The packages of tainted pet food were either incinerated or buried deep in the ground in a landfill.
There are people who will never buy our pet food again, Bennett told a reporter for The Press-Enterprise of Riverside, California.
Full details of every Natures Recipe Pet Food recall appear below.
You May Like: Fruit And Veggie Smoothie Recipes For Weight Loss
How To Switch To Fresh Dog Food
OK, youve done your research, and decided to feed your pup fresh food. How do you make the switch? Consulting your vet or a veterinary nutritionist is the best way to get the transition just right for your pet.
Your vet can also weigh in on portion control. While most fresh pet foods come with detailed feeding instructions to help you determine how much to feed your dog, some pets may need more or less than what the manufacturer suggests.
However you make a switch to your pets diet, make sure you do it gradually. The last thing we want is for a pet to have diarrhea or vomit or not feel well, Dr. Bullen says. She recommends gradually introducing the food for between five to seven days for typical, healthy dogs, and up to 14 days for dogs with sensitive stomachs. Mix increasing amounts of the food into your dogs current diet over the course of the transition.