Ingredient Homemade Hot Cocoa Mix Recipe
Make your own just-add-water hot cocoa mix in minutes with this easy recipe. With all real ingredients, you’ll feel good about serving this to kids and adults.
It’s perfect for camping, after sledding, or for sipping around an outdoor fire.
This is another updated Pantry Basic recipe – recipes of foods we typically think of as only store bought, but that are actually better tasting, and of course better for you when you make them yourself.
I’m pretty sure most of us have some hot cocoa mix in a corner of our pantries.
Even if we don’t drink it ourselves much, it’s nice to have on hand for fun winter moments or when camping. We also have a number of family and friends who enjoy hot chocolate instead of coffee or tea.
Of course this is something I used to buy at the store until I started reading ingredient labels. Have you ever looked to see what’s in hot chocolate mixes? I was shocked at the length of the list, which drove me to find a recipe for homemade cocoa mix.
For reference, here’s the ingredients from the Swiss Miss brand just-add-water hot cocoa:
sugar, modified whey, cocoa , hydrogenated coconut oil, nonfat milk, calcium carbonate, less than 2% of: salt, dipotassium phosphate, mono- and diglyderides, artificial flavor, carrageenan.
Hmmm, doesn’t sound too yummy, does it?
The recipe contained just four simple ingredients most of us have in our cupboards. I slightly adapted it for our tastes and it’s a hit.
What type of cocoa mix is this recipe?
What To Add To Hot Cocoa Mix
This homemade hot cocoa mix recipe has powdered milk in it so you can simply add hot water if youd like. Other options are milk or coffee.
- Add cinnamon and a little cayenne pepper for a Mexican hot chocolate.
- Can chocolate milk be used for hot chocolate? Yes! More chocolate is never a bad thing.
- You can use almond milk or coconut milk also, but it would not be considered dairy free because of the powdered creamer and milk.
To Make A Cup Of Cocoa:
- Set a pan on the stove on low.
- Add one cup of water, milk or nut milk you like.
- Add 3 Tablespoons of the mix to the milk and stir until its thoroughly combined.
- Heat until warmed to your taste
- Pour the heated cocoa into your heat proof cup and garnish as you desire. I
- Serve with whipped cream and your favorite toppings.
You May Like: Gluten Free Dairy Free Snack Recipes
Free Lower Sugar Recipes Ebook
Welcome – I’m so glad you’ve joined the AOC community!Your first step is to check your email to confirm your subscription. After that you will receive your email with the link and password to the VIP Subscriber Library where you’ll find this download plus lots more including Dinner Menu Plans, pretty printables, organizing help, and more!
Flavor Variations And Serving Ideas For Your Hot Cocoa Mix:
- Stir in a few chocolate chips into your cocoa while its hot to make it extra chocolatey.
- Use a candy cane to stir your hot chocolate for peppermint hot chocolate.
- Add a few marshmallows, a dollop of whipped cream, or even a sprinkle of cinnamon to the top of your prepared hot cocoa to change things up.
- Use hot whole milk instead of water to make your hot cocoa extra creamy.
Don’t Miss: On Cooking 6th Edition Recipes
More About Homemade Hot Cocoa Mix Food
HOT CHOCOLATE MIX RECIPE | REE DRUMMOND | FOOD NETWORK
- Using a funnel and four 4-ounce mason jars, layer the ingredients in each jar as follows: 1 tablespoon granulated sugar, a pinch salt, 2 tablespoons cocoa, 2 tablespoons instant dried milk, 1 tablespoon shaved semisweet chocolate and 12 mini marshmallows. Seal the jars.
- To serve: Tip the hot chocolate mix from 1 jar into a mug and top up with 1 cup boiling water. Mix.
HOT CHOCOLATE MIX RECIPE | MARTHA STEWART
- In a large bowl, combine sugar, cocoa, and salt, and whisk to combine well. Store the mixture in an airtight container.
- For individual servings, pour 1 cup whole milk into a microwave-safe mug, and microwave on high just until hot. Add 2 tablespoons of cocoa mix, and stir to dissolve. For a larger batch of cocoa, warm the milk in a saucepan set over medium-low heat, taking care not to let the milk boil as it warms, stir in 2 tablespoons of mix for each cup of milk.
BEST HOMEMADE HOT COCOA | CLASSIC HOT CHOCOLATE RECIPE …
HOMEMADE HOT COCOA MIX RECIPE | HOMEMADE FOOD
HOMEMADE HOT COCOA MIX RECIPE – FOOD FANATIC
HOMEMADE HOT CHOCOLATE MIX RECIPE RECIPE | EPICURIOUS
EASY DIET HOT CHOCOLATE MIX RECIPE – FOOD.COM
HOT COCOA AND HOMEMADE MARSHMALLOWS RECIPE | TYLER …
4 INGREDIENT HOMEMADE HOT COCOA MIX RECIPE – AN OREGON
What Makes This The Best Hot Chocolate Mix Recipe Out There
You can feel good about gifting this hot cocoa mix, because its been tested on dozens of very discerning teachers! Last year, we created a hot chocolate bar using this mix at my daughters school during teacher appreciation week, and it got rave reviews, with lots of folks asking for my just-add-hot-water hot chocolate mix recipe!
If this mix satisfied over 60 busy teachers, you know itll satisfy all the folks on your Christmas gift list! Even better: we took this recipe back into the test kitchen and tweaked it to make it even richer and creamier!
You May Like: Did Hellman’s Change Their Mayo Recipe
Tips For Making Hot Cocoa Mix:
- Be sure to sift the ingredients really well. This is an important step. Dont skip it.
- Adding salt is also incredibly important to this recipe. Salt is perfect for enhancing the sweetness of recipes and helps to block any bitter taste.
- Dutch process cocoa powder is a must for this recipe. Try to find it, if possible.
- Use good quality ingredients so the flavour is perfection.
- Mix well and always shake before use.
- I like to make a slurry with the hot cocoa mix and a little bit of hot water first before making the hot cocoa. This helps it mix in better and have less chance of clumps in your drink.
- Personally, I love using milk and heating my hot cocoa on the stovetop. Just be sure to watch the temperature and continue to stir as needed.
How To Make Hot Cocoa From Scratch
Read Also: Recipe For Plant Based Burger
Homemade Hot Chocolate Mix Recipe:
Do you remember the Homemade Nesquick recipe I shared with you recently? Well, it has been so cold here my kids have been hooked on hot chocolate.
It was so easy turning my Homemade Nesquick into Homemade cocoa mix. All you have to do is add powdered milk. Adding the powdered milk makes this hot chocolate nice and creamy and oh so yummy.
Keto Hot Chocolate Mix
The Spruce / Haley Hazell
The keto hot chocolate mix skips the sugar, opting for an allulose or monkfruit sweetener instead. It’s also dairy-free and vegan because it uses powdered coconut milk be sure to mix it with hot water or plant-based milk. However, what’s really special about this recipe is that it includes excellent ideas for adding flavor to each cup. From minty to spiced and nutty to “sticky sweet,” there are fun variations that you can use in any hot chocolate recipe.
Read Also: Healthy Recipe Of The Month
Why I Love This Easy Homemade Hot Chocolate:
- Its just as quick and easy as a mix, but it tastes far, far more wonderful.
- Its more affordable than store-bought mixes.
- I can control the ingredients .
- No corn syrup or other artificial stuff added.
- I can make as large or as small a batch as I please .
- The hot chocolate customization possibilities are endless .
How To Make Your Own Hot Cocoa Mix
I secretly love those little packets of hot cocoa mix but I recently decided to quit buying them and start making my own. The nice thing about making your own hot cocoa mix is that you have free control over what goes into it . Like yours super chocolatey? No problem. Want to take down the sugar and add a bit of cayenne and cinnamon? Do it.
Today, Im sharing my recipe for basic hot cocoa mix, plus a few suggestions for mix-ins that Ive been loving lately.
The basic mix itself should stay fresh for at least 4 to 5 months if kept stored in an airtight container, out of direct sunlight, and at room temperature no need to refrigerate. .
All winter, Ive also been sipping Theos drinking chocolate. I initially fell for it because it contains actual chunks of chocolate its not a dusty, dry powder. So for my homemade recipe, I decided to hand-chop some chocolate so it would be more in line with Theos delicious mix. If youre pressed for time, you could chop the chocolate in a food processor instead I just like the uneven nature achieved by hand chopping it.
What else do I love about this particular mix? It doesnt shy away from the chocolate. In addition to the hand-chopped chocolate, I add some Dutch-processed cocoa powder for even more chocolate flavor. I also use coconut sugar to sweeten the mix, which gives the cocoa a dark, earthy, and almost caramelly flavor.
Read Also: Diabetes And Heart Healthy Recipes
Ingredients Needed For Homemade Hot Chocolate Mix Recipe:
You are not going to believe how easy this recipe is to make. You only need 4 ingredients to create this easy homemade hot chocolate mix and I bet you already have most of these in your pantry.
- Powdered Milk
Thats all you need to create this easy recipe that is delicious and will save you money. There is no reason why you should make this recipe today!
Homemade Bulk Hot Cocoa Mix Recipe
Watch the video instructions for the Homemade Bulk Hot Cocoa Mix Recipe HERE
Hot cocoa is an absolute staple after coming inside after a snowy day. But with how many snow days that are bound to happen in the lovely season of December, there is going to be plenty of it going around. But it can be extremely irritating to continue buying store bought hot cocoa, and not to mention how expensive it can get. And I am going to share a solution to your seasonal holiday problem. Homemade hot cocoa! And not only that, but you can make it in pretty large batches to stretch across massive amounts of snowy days. Stop buying pre-made hot cocoa mix and make your own with this easy, creamy, tasty homemade bulk hot cocoa recipe!
This is yet just another area that we are sharing to help you save money by making popular store-bought foods at home instead. This recipe was shared to us by a good friend she makes this and shared her pictures and process with us to share with you!
We are going to share the classic recipe, but one benefit of making it yourself is that you can adjust ingredients to meet your health and dietary requirements. You can also add things to change the flavour of your cocoa if you wish. When you make your own, the skys the limit!
Also Check: Campbell Soup Chicken Pot Pie Recipe
Easy Hot Cocoa Mix Recipe
But on to todays Hot Chocolate mix. You can make this one and leave it in your pantry for the next time everyone is craving some hot chocolate!
Did you know that most store-bought mixes are full of fillers and junk-like artificial flavors? Yuck!
I knew there had to be a better way, so I decided to make one! I already have my favorite traditional hot chocolate recipe. Its warm, creamy, and everything youd ever want in hot cocoa .
As much as I love that recipe, I wanted a version that I could make in bulk once and always have on hand when the kids need a cup of cocoa after playing outside in the cold.
This mix is that recipe! Its healthier than store-bought, can cater to individual tastes and food intolerances and its much more cost-conscious as well. A total win.
And just wait until you taste it.
Ingredients Needed For Diy Hot Cocoa Powder Mix
I love sourcing the highest quality ingredients possible, and one way I can do this is. I’m going to link to the products I’ve purchased from them below, they do have smaller portions available to buy, but you pay less per pound the more you buy, so always keep that in mind, especially with items like these that are shelf-stable:
Recommended Reading: Maker’s Mark Old Fashioned Cocktail Recipe
How Long Will Homemade Hot Cocoa Mix Last
I like to store my hot cocoa mix in a cute designated container. This hot cocoa mix recipe will last up to 6 months. The first sign that it is getting colder, we start mixing up hot cocoa as I know the kids will be asking for it.
We also love giving this hot cocoa mix out as holiday gifts. Everyone loves getting it as I always include some cute holiday mugs and a Christmas movie. You can also include some baked goods. It is a cute but practical to give to give out to your neighbors and your kids teachers.
How To Make Homemade Hot Cocoa
- In a large bowl, whisk all of the ingredients together.
- In order to get the hot chocolate mix to have a finer texture, blend the powder in a food processor. Do this slowly, blending just one cup of powder at a time until it becomes a fine powder. If you put too much powder in the blender, it will not easily blend.
- Store the mixture in an airtight container.
- When making a cup of hot chocolate, stir about & frac13 of a cup of powder in a cup of water, or adjust to your taste.
We love to put in our dry mix. Theres something about those crunchy little bits that I just have to have in my cocoa. And that doesnt mean we dont like real marshmallows and even whip cream on top. You can add as much creamy white stuff as youd like.
Read Also: Vegan Recipes Everyone Will Love
Avoiding Lumpy Gluten Free Cocoa
The white hot chocolate is much less likely to clump, since it has no cocoa powder, and cocoa powder tends to resist combining with a liquid. Just whisk vigorously as you slowly add the hot milk to the powder, or whisk constantly if mixing on the stovetop.
To avoid any lumps from the ground chocolate, white or dark, make sure your milk is hot enough to melt chocolate. Thats around 180°F/82°C.
Can I Prepare This Hot Cocoa Mix In The Microwave
You can heat the milk in the microwave to make this hot chocolate the easy way. Just be the container you place it in is microwave-safe, and much larger than the amount of milk it contains since milk tends to bubble over in the microwave.
I wouldnt make the thicker variety of hot chocolate anywhere but the stovetop, since it is much more likely to clump in the microwave. You really need to whisk as it heats!
Also Check: Healthy Crock Pot Recipes For Weight Loss
About This Chocolate Mix
- This is the best hot chocolate drink you will make. Better than any hot cocoa mix you can pick from any grocery stores
- We like our hot chocolate thick and creamy so I add real chocolate and just a little cornstarch in the mix. This thickens the hot cocoa making it extra luxurious. Just like you do when you make eggless vanilla pastry cream – not as thick as that but you get the idea.
- I love to grate some chocolate for extra dusting and dress the rim sometimes too. It just makes it a little extra special. As a kid, my mom used more milk powder in her cocoa mix – that way all she did was add hot water to make the hot chocolate.
- Use it as a base for making hot chocolate drinks in winter, frozen chocolate drinks in summer, or other cool chocolate drinks.
- For a vegan version of this hot chocolate mix recipe using almond or soy-based milk. You can also use coconut milk but take note that coconut milk will also have a coconut flavor.
- Personally, I love the combination of coconut and chocolate but do make sure the person you serve it to appreciates the combination of coconut and chocolate.
- This also makes the perfect holiday gift to family and friends during Christmas. Just fill a mason jar and tie a pretty bow with a gift tag on the lid!
My Homemade Hot Chocolate Mix Is The Dee
I set out to solve the problem with this recipe!
I love a good, creamy, decadent cup of hot chocolate in the winter, but recently Im not getting to the grocery store frequently enough to keep reliably fresh milk in the fridge. And Ive always been disappointed by the bland, artificial flavor and thin consistency you get from those hot cocoa mix packets ~ even from the gourmet versions
So I set out to create a dry hot cocoa mix that makes a great cup of hot chocolate even when mixed with water. Sound impossible? Read on!
You May Like: Pistachio Martini Recipe With Amaretto