How Long Will Ham Salad Last
Ham salad will last up to seven days in the fridge after the ham was initially cooked or opened from the packaging.
If you made a ham for the holidays and then make ham salad several days later, it will only keep from the date the ham was first cooked.
Be sure to keep leftover salad stored in an airtight container so you can enjoy this delicious treat for a quick meal whenever you want!
If you love salads like this, check out these other recipes you will love:
How To Make Old Fashioned Ham Salad:
The best way to make the ham salad base is to use chopped ham. It needs to be finely chopped to get a nice overall texture and to allow the other ingredients to get folded in nicely.
If the ham pieces are too large, it makes it harder to spread or hold up well on a cracker or on bread etc. To get it fine enough, I find a food processor works the best.
I like to roughly chop the ham up with a knife into slightly smaller chunks. Place the ham pieces into a large food processor and pulse until it becomes fine and you get the desired consistency you like.
Remove the ham from the food processor and place into a large mixing bowl. Mix in the remaining ingredients .
If you prefer your ham salad spread to be a little more moist , then adjust the mayo as desired.
Everything should be thoroughly mixed and combined and can be eaten right after assembly.
How To Store Leftovers
Ham Salad is typically chilled, either on crackers or as a ham salad sandwich. Since it contains mayonnaise, it should not be left out any longer than 2 hours.
- ToStore: Leftovers should be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
- Can you freeze ham salad? I wouldnt recommend freezing ham salad. The mayonnaise tends to separate leaving a less than desirable texture and taste once its thawed.
One of my very favorite reasons for serving a ham on Christmas and Easter is for the leftovers so I can make ham balls and this deviled ham recipe. The other 363 days of the year, I just buy a pre-packaged thick ham steak, which also gets the job done!
Also Check: Healthy Meal Prep Dinner Recipes
Old Fashioned Ham Salad Spread Recipe
How to make Old Fashioned Ham Salad. Step 1: Into small half-inch cubes, dice the ham. To a food processor, add the rest of the ingredients except for the relish and process until chunky. The consistency you are looking for is smooth enough and spreadable. Step 2: To a mixing bowl, transfer the spread and stir in the relish.
CommonGround volunteer Leslie Boswell shares her recipe for Old Fashioned Ham Salad with Pure Nebraska viewers. Old Fashioned Ham Salad. Save Recipe. Print Recipe . My Recipes My Lists My Calendar. Ingredients. … Transfer the spread to a mixing bowl and stir in relish. Serve on white or rye bread or with crackers and Swiss cheese. 188.8.131.52. 309.
This recipe for spam salad sandwich spread is another recipe that was contributed by a reader of this website. If you already enjoy eating delicious spam you’re going to like this sandwich spread very much. Why? Because you’re going the prepare the BEST Spam Sandwich you will ever taste. We have a fix for you, if you’re tired of the same old boring spam sandwich.
Dice the ham into small 1/2″ cubes. Add all of the remaining ingredients except for the relish to a food processor and pulse until chunky. .
Old Fashioned Ham Salad Makes many servings 2 cups ham, fat trimmed off and diced 1/2 cup miracle whip 1/4 cup mayo 2 tsp. dried onion flakes 1 tsp. stone ground mustard 1 Tbsp. sweet pickle relish Garnish: Butter
Old Fashioned Ham Salad Recipe
Plus, this sandwich spread or cracker topping treat is a favorite way to use leftover ham and can be easily tailored to your own taste preferences. So, if you are looking for an easy and tasty ham salad recipe, then look no further than this old fashioned version. Enjoy!
I almost always make a ham for Christmas day dinner and for Easter. While I love to buy a big ham sometimes, using up all the leftovers can be challenging but thats why I love this easy ham salad recipe and this recipe for Instant Pot Ham and Cabbage. Both recipes are delicious and ready in no time!
This recipe was inspired by memories from my childhood and my Moms cooking . She made so many wonderful dishes, a few of which I have shared on the blog and that you can find here.
You can find more delicious Leftover Ham Recipes here.
Recommended Reading: Mac And Cheese Recipe Step By Step
How To Make Ham Salad
Old Fashioned Ham Salad Recipe With Bologna
Mom S Bologna Salad Recipe Ham Salad Recipes Ham Salad Sandwich Recipes
Old Fashioned Ham Salad Ham Salad Recipes Ham Salad Recipes
Pin On Recipes
Pin On Om Nom Nom
Deviled Ham Salad Bologna Salad Bologna Salad Ham Salad Ham Salad Recipes
Pin On Julia S Simply Southern Recipes
Old Fashioned Bologna Salad Recipe Bologna Salad Bologna Recipes Ham Salad Recipes
Pin On Savory Dishes
Old Fashioned Ham Salad Recipe Ham Salad Ham Salad Recipes Food
Old Fashioned Ham Salad Recipe Yummly Recipe Ham Salad Ham Salad Recipes Recipes
Pin On Recipes Ideas
Pin On All My Recipes
Old Fashioned Bologna Salad Recipe In 2021 Air Fryer Dinner Recipes Classic Food Food Processor Recipes
Pin On Appetizers To Try
Pin On Sandwiches
Old Fashion Ham Salad Or Bologna Salad I Have Ham Salad Bologna Salad Recipes
Pin On Toc S Recipes
Pin On Sandwich
Old Fashioned Bologna Salad The Southern Lady Cooks Bologna Salad Food Processor Recipes Condiment Recipes
You May Like: 3 Week Old Puppy Food Recipes
Can I Use Canned Ham
Yes! You certainly can.
I prefer fresh ham, and often buy chunks of it when its on sale and pop them in the freezer just to make this recipe.
However, if you choose to use canned ham, make sure your drain it well! Youll also need to decrease the amount of mayo and sour cream and pickle, to suit how much ham you have.
Why You Will Love This Homemade Ham Salad
- It’s the perfect way to use up leftover cooked ham.
- If you like tuna salad, chicken salad or egg salad, give ham salad a try too. It truly is a delicious salad.
- You’ll love the beautiful balance of salty ham, tangy Dijon mustard, and sweet pickle relish.
- It’s the perfect spread for tea sandwiches to serve at baby showers and bridal showers.
You May Like: The Best White Russian Recipe
Is Ham Salad Healthy
Ham salad is a great source for getting a lot of protein into your diet. While some hams can be more processed than others, its generally not considered to be an unhealthy meal option.
The benefits of eating ham salad on occasion is that it is naturally lower carb and with a few ingredient swaps it can be added into your rotation with the likes of tuna salad, chicken salad, or egg salad as well.
Ham however can be higher in sodium and nitrates. If youre trying to limit these in your diet, you may want to limit how often you enjoy this recipe.
I have this one or two times a year to help use up leftover ham recipes after Christmas or Easter holidays.
Top Results For Easy Ham Salad Sandwich Spread
Quick And Easy Ham Salad Spread That One Mom
Copy the link and share
Ham Salad Spread Recipe – A Great Use For Leftover Ham
Copy the link and share
Favorite Ham Salad Recipe – Renee’s Kitchen Adventures
Copy the link and share
Ham Salad Sandwich Recipe For Two Zona Cooks
Copy the link and share
Easiest-Ever Ham Salad Recipe – Pillsbury.com
Copy the link and share
Ham Salad (Easy, Tasty Ham Salad Spread For Snacks …
Copy the link and share
Also Check: High Protein Vegetarian Slow Cooker Recipes
How To Make My Old
First, chop up your ham into cubes.
Youll want to do the same for your boiled eggs too.
Place your cooked ham in a mixing bowl.
Add the mayo.
See how easy this is already?
Then the pickle relish.
Add in your mustard.
Dont stress if you dont have this exact type of mustard. Just use what you have on hand and roll with it. Some of the best recipes came about by folks using what they had on hand.
Finally, season with black pepper to taste.
Here we go. Ready to stir!
It doesnt look too pretty right now but hang in there with me.
After you have everything all stirred up, add in your chopped boiled eggs.
Stir gently. Your ham salad spread is now ready! This recipe makes about three cups of delectable ham salad.
You can refrigerate it for a while to allow the flavors to blend well or you can just eat it right now.
Guess which one Im gonna do?
Chef Jenns Tips To Make Creamy Deli Ham Salad
- I use mayo and sour cream instead of just mayo. Personally, I think the jarred stuff is nasty, so I cut it with sour cream. The result is a less sweet version with a big of tang. In this dish, its a perfect match.
- I use dill vs sweet pickle relish in this recipe. I think we get enough sweet the dill is delicious. Try it!
- You can pop the pickle into the food processor to chop, but I love the lovely larger bits of dill pickle so I chop it by hand.
- You can also use store-bought dill pickle relish if you dont want to chop it.
- Add enough sour cream and mayo until its as creamy as youd like it to be!
Also Check: How Do I Cost Out A Recipe
How To Make It
This Ham Salad recipe is so simple to make in about 2 minutes flat with the help of a food processor or powerful blender.
How To Serve Ham Salad
This ham salad recipe can be served many different ways. It’s a great lunch, afternoon snack or serve it as an appetizer.
- Serve this salad spread on white bread with a side of potato chips for a delicious lunch.
- Keep dinner low-carb with a ham salad lettuce wrap.
- Wrap in a flour tortilla.
- Add leftover ham salad to a charcuterie board with assorted crackers.
- Put some of the salad on Ritz crackers and top with dill pickle slices as a garish.
Read Also: Low Carb Ground Turkey Recipes
Sign Up For Our Free Newsletter:
While youre here, be sure to sign up for our totally FREE NEWSLETTER. Ill send you an Email every once in awhile to remind you when I post a new recipe, or when anything else of importance is going on around Taste of Southern. Its totally free, and super easy to sign up. And, should you ever decide that you are no longer interested, its even quicker to unsubscribe. How cool is that? Ill be looking forward to seeing you add your name to our list. The signup box is below and youll also find one in the top right hand corner of each page. I hope youll do it today.
What Is In Ham Salad
Ham salad ingredients are very simple. Here is what you need:
- Ham: This can be a fully cooked leftover ham or even use ham steaks for the base.
- Mayo: I prefer traditional mayo or even avocado mayo for a healthier alternative. Some of the older recipes your parents and grandparents grew up on may have included miracle whip as well.
- Dijon Mustard: I like just a little to add a little zing to the recipe and it pairs so well with the ham.
- Sweet Pickle Relish: I love sweet relish in this because it provides both sweetness and a little acidity from the pickle juice. It also naturally pairs well with the beautiful balance of salty ham. If you want a lower carb or sugar free option, sub with chopped dill pickles or dill pickle relish.
This salad already is salty naturally from the ham, but you can also season it with a little black pepper too if desired.
Don’t Miss: Low Carb Cake Recipes For Diabetics
Ingredient And Recipe Notes
Gloria started her delicious ham salad spread with a package of sliced ham. While packaged ham slices are nothing to get excited about, this lunch meat is transformed by cooking.
She first cooked the ham in water with brown sugar. This helps to remove some of the saltiness of the ham. The brown sugar adds a nice touch to the flavor. I have made this with both a smoked ham, and honestly some of the cheapest ham you can buy, and both of them worked great.
She uses gherkin pickles. These are small pickles that are sweet. You could use sweet pickle relish, but I think using the gherkin pickles adds a unique flavor. I think you could also use India Relish could also work well. Pickle juice adds to the flavor.
She claimed her real secret was by grating red onion in the salad as well. By grating the onion into the salad you get subtle onion flavor yet many people cant quite figure out that you grated onions in there. This is a great tip for when you want the flavor but not a bunch of finely chopped onions in your dish.
Old Fashioned Ham Salad
Old fashioned ham salad is one of those recipes that might not be familiar to younger generations… but we think it’s worth bringing back! This delicious deli salad is a little bit salty, a little bit creamy, and a lot delicious. It’s the perfect thing to bring to a picnic or potluck. Just open a bag of your favorite chips, and you’ve got a snack that everyone will be talking about. This is an easy ham salad recipe without eggs, making it crazy quick to mix up.We like this recipe because it is a little more filling than a lot of traditional dips. When you enjoy a serving of old fashioned ham salad, you’re really getting a small meal. It’s perfect for keeping you full during an afternoon barbecue or other family event. Enjoy!
- 1 tablespoon sweet pickle relish
Old Fashioned Ham Salad Recipe
Slice ham into small 1/2″ slices.
Place ham, miracle whip, mayonnaise and mustard in a food processor. Pulse.Transfer the spread to a mixing bowl and stir in relish.
Serve with crackers and cheese.
Can You Freeze Ham Salad?
More Deli Salad Recipes from the Test KitchenGet that classic deli taste right at home when you learn how to make these deli classics at home. Perfect one of these delicious recipes before your next potluck!
You May Like: Recipe For Crock Pot Beef Stew With Vegetables
Ham Salad Recipe Variations
There are a few variations for ham salad, starting with the texture and also the mix-ins.
- Ham salad is traditionally made in a meat grinder, but I dont have one of those, so I just use my food processor. I like the texture somewhere in-between paste-like and chunky, but you can make it smooth as pâté, if you prefer.
- My recipe calls for 1-2 hard boiled eggs , which adds another layer of flavor and are a great way to use up leftover Easter eggs, but they can easily be omitted without the recipe suffering. I highly recommend you leave them in, though!
- While dill pickle relish has my heart, I actually think sweet relish is the way to go here. The sweetness from the relish gives great balance to the salty ham. But you can certainly use dill pickle relish, if thats your preference.
- The only way Ive ever had ham salad is with sweet pickle relish, minced onion, and diced celery, but my understanding is the very original recipe didnt include any of those items. I cant even imagine it tasting as good!
- Ground up bologna or Spam can replace the ham, Im told, but Ive never tried either.
News Result For Easy Ham Salad Sandwich Spread
This ham salad will use up your Easter leftoversYour browser indicates if you’ve visited this link
The Kitchn: This sandwich is quick and easy for any time of dayYour browser indicates if you’ve visited this link
Be the first to knowYour browser indicates if you’ve visited this link
Gretchen’s table: Leftover ham and cheese puffsYour browser indicates if you’ve visited this link
Nigella Lawson among thousands of Britons to reveal their favourite simple sandwichYour browser indicates if you’ve visited this link
Review: TriBecca’s proves Becca Grothe’s sandwich-making prowess, from the famous Cuban to Midwest iconsYour browser indicates if you’ve visited this link
Chicago Tribune on MSN.com
Home With The Lost Italian: Muffuletta sandwich a great choice for picnics, grad partiesYour browser indicates if you’ve visited this link
Recipes: Ham, gruyère, and asparagus tartines make Easter brunch easyYour browser indicates if you’ve visited this link
The Boston Globe
RECIPES: How to give hard-boiled eggs a stylish new lifeYour browser indicates if you’ve visited this link
7-DAY MENU PLANNER: Slow cooker chicken chili light on pocketbookYour browser indicates if you’ve visited this link
Also Check: Keto Steak Recipes For Dinner