Dessert To Go With Beef Stew
Crock Pot Beef stew is such an earthy and hearty meal, that you can get away without serving dessert. But we all know dessert makes every meal better! Here are some great desserts to serve with beef stew
- My Easy Apple Crisp is a fabulous comfort food dessert to serve after beef stew.
- Berry Crumble Bars are a delicious way to finish off the meal. Added bonus, these are easy to make ahead of time!
- If you are serving your beef stew during the holidays, a small slice of pecan pie would be a sweet way to go.
- Chocolate more your style? My Easy Brownies made with cocoa powder always get rave reviews.
- Each of these four desserts would be best served with a scoop of ice cream. Barefeet In The Kitchen has the best, and easiest, homemade ice cream recipe.
I hope your family enjoys this delicious Beef Stew Crockpot meal as much as mine does! If youd like more great recipes like this, make sure to !
How To Make Beef Stew In Slow Cooker
Its really easy to make this beef stew crock pot recipe! Heres a brief rundown of steps.
How long to cook beef stew in slow cooker? This recipe calls for 7-8 hours on low and then an additional 30 minutes if youre thickening the broth. While you can cook on high for 3-4 hours, I do not recommend it. Low and slow is the way to go to achieve tender, fall-apart meat and deep flavors!
How to thicken a beef stew in slow cooker? If you want the liquid to be more like a gravy, youll create a slurry. In a small bowl, whisk together the flour and 1/2 cup stew broth until combined and smooth. Slowly stir the mixture into the slow cooker. Cover and cook on high heat for an additional 30 minutes, or until thickened.
Beef Stew Crock Pot Recipe Notes
- Dont cut the cubes of beef too small or theyll fall apart before being able to soak up all the flavor from slow cooking all day.
- Brown the beef! Browning the beef before adding in all the other ingredients is key! Forming a nice crust on all the pieces of beef locks in flavor. This extra step is so worth it!
- You can peel your potatoes if you want, but for baby new potatoes, its not necessary. If they are on the extra large side, you might want to quarter them.
- Chicken broth can replace the beef broth if thats all you have, although the overall taste will not be as deep.
Don’t Miss: Simple Healthy Recipes For Two
Beef Stew With Root Vegetables
Provided by Ree Drummond : Food Network
|2 pounds beef stew meat|
|3 cloves garlic, minced|
|1 can or bottle beer|
|4 cups beef broth, more as needed|
|1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce|
|2 to 3 tablespoons tomato paste|
|1 1/2 teaspoons sugar|
|1 small turnip, roughly sliced|
|2 tablespoons all-purpose flour, optional|
|Minced fresh parsley, for garnish|
- Heat the oil and butter in a pan and brown the beef. Remove the beef from the pan, throw in the garlic and onions and cook until softened, about 3 minutes. Pour in the beer, beef broth, Worcestershire sauce, tomato paste, sugar, paprika, salt and some pepper. Then return the beef to the pan, cover and simmer on a low heat until the meat is very tender, 1 1/2 to 2 hours. If the liquid level gets too low, add more broth as needed.
- Add the carrots, parsnips and turnips and continue to simmer until the vegetables are tender and the liquid is reduced, about 30 minutes.
- If the stew is still too liquidy, remove a cup of cooking liquid from the pan and stir in the flour. Add the flour mixture back into the pan and stir. Simmer for 10 minutes until the stew is thick. The meat should be very tender if it’s tough, let it continue to cook.
- To finish, add the parsley and stir through the stew.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 272, Fat 12 grams, SaturatedFat 4 grams, Cholesterol 79 milligrams, Sodium 664 milligrams, Carbohydrate 12 grams, Fiber 2 grams, Protein 28 grams, Sugar 4 grams
Can I Freeze Beef Stew
Yes! Our crockpot homemade beef stew is perfect for making ahead of time and freezing. Here’s how:
Try our Pressure Cooker Beef Stew!
Recommended Reading: Hidden Valley Ranch Vegetables Recipe
How Long Does Beef Stew Last
Beef stew will stay good in the fridge for up to five days or the freezer for up to three months.
What Goes With Beef Stew?
- Bread: Any bread! Think Homemade Crescent Rolls or Maple Syrup Cornbread.
- Salad: Stews and salads are an easy and natural pairing. A simple Winter Fruit and Cashew Salad would be great.
- Dessert: Soft and sweet desserts like Pear Hand Pies or Coconut Lime Bars are excellent choices.
Slow Cooker Vegetable Beef Stew
Full of fresh, summery flavors, our Slow Cooker Vegetable Beef Stew is as easy as adding your ingredients to the slow cooker, setting the time, and letting it cook. This brightly flavorful beef stew with vegetables is more than juist juicy and shred-with-a-fork tender: it’s also gluten-free and keto!
You May Like: Recipe For Plant Based Burger
Ingredients For Slow Cooker Stew
Ingredients for this beef stew CrockPot recipe are beef chuck or stew beef, root vegetables like potatoes, carrots and fresh and peas or beans.
The best meat to make beef stew is chuck steak! Youll have to cut it into cubes yourself. Chuck is a tough, but full-flavored meat that comes from the shoulders and front end of the animal. It is perfect for Crock Pot Beef Stew or pot roast . It retains its rich, beefy flavor and becomes succulent and fork-tender under the low and slow heat of a crock pot.
Flavorful Slow Cooker Beef Stew: What really makes a stew a stew is the savory herbs, thickened beef broth and seasonings. To give the dish even more complexity, consider making CrockPot beef stew with red wine. Substitute a cup of a hearty dry wine, such as Cabernet Sauvignon or Merlot for a cup of the beef broth and use it to deglaze the pan you used for browning the meat. You could add in some button mushrooms too.
Create A Free Account To Save Recipes
BEST MEAT FOR BEEF STEW:
Chuck Roast: This is the most old-fashioned and classic cut of meat for most pot roasts or beef stews. Use this as a replacement for most recipes that actually call for stew meat because chuck roasts are typically well-marbled, just be sure when buying the meat you look for more even fat distribution.
Stew Meat: This is the easiest way to go, not expensive cut of meat because it is pre-cut. This is generally not high quality though and is usually extra cuts left over that the butcher is looking to sell off. Avoid this cut in the grocery store if possible.
Ribeye: If you want to impress your guests and you are cooking this during the holidays, you may find a ribeye roast is on sale. During the holiday season it usually sells for a VERY low price . When it does, get a 4 inch thick cut and use it to make the best roasts and stews with it, because it will be a luxurious treat with the most tender beef youve ever eaten.
MORE SLOW COOKER RECIPES:
HOW TO STORE SLOW COOKER BEEF STEW
- Serve: You should never leave meat out for more than 2 hours after cooking it.
- Store: Once the soup has cooled down to room temperature, put it in an airtight container to store it in the fridge. It will keep well for 2-3 days.
- Freeze: You can also freeze Slow Cooker Beef Stew Soup for up to 3 months. Keep it in a freezer bag or other airtight container, and let it thaw in the fridge overnight before reheating it in a dutch oven on the stovetop.
Read Also: Healthy Eating Recipes To Lose Weight
How To Make Beef Stew In Crock Pot
While we love to make a classic stove top beef stew, this easy slow cooker recipe can be left cooking while you go about your day! Crock Pot beef stew comes together in just a few simple steps and the beef gets so tender.
How Long to Cook Beef Stew in Crock Pot: Crock Pot beef stew is a set-it-and-forget-it kind of meal. Cook it on high for 4-5 hours, or on low for 8-9 until the meat is tender. You can leave it on warm for an additional hour or so if needed.
To Thicken Beef Stew in the Crock Pot: I use a cornstarch slurry and add it in at the end. Allow it to cook about 10 minutes after adding the slurry to get rid of any starchy flavor.
We serve beef stew with some crusty bread or homemade dinner rolls for the perfect meal!
How To Make Beef Stew
Searing the beef pieces before you add the stock makes such a difference in the flavor you get from the soup. Its really the only chance you have to get that delicious caramelization on the meat!
As the veggies and broth simmer, you will really start to notice the flavors in the stew intensify. Peas cook quickly so I add them in the last few minutes!
This stew recipe is also the perfect way to use up any vegetables you might need to use up. If youve got leftover roasted potatoes, glazed carrots or fried mushrooms, just chop em up up and throw them in!
Read Also: Easy Recipes For Large Family
Leftover Crockpot Beef Stew
Leftovers will keep about 3-4 days in the fridge.
Can you Freeze Beef Stew: Youll also be happy to know CrockPot Beef Stew freezes really well, so make plenty for those quick-fix meal nights. Leave about an inch of headspace for expansion in plastic containers, and your stew will keep for four months in the freezer.
Our Favorite Side Dishes
While there is everything you need right in the stew, I still love adding a side or two to stretch the meal.
Some of our favorites:
- The Only No Knead Bread Recipe Youll Ever Need
- Homemade Mini Garlic Parmesan Monkey Bread
- How to Make Mashed Potatoes
- Easy Homemade Bread
- Crockpot Beef Tips and Mushroom Gravy
- Easy Beef Stroganoff
- Homemade Shepherds Pie
Also Check: Campbells Soup Recipes With Cream Of Mushroom Soup
Recipe Notes Tips And Substitions
- Reheating: To reheat this recipe, simply place it in a microwaveable safe bowl and cook for a minute or two until fully heated. You can also reheat this stew on the stovetop in a saucepan.
- Protein: Instead of beef, feel free to use chicken breasts or thighs.
- Flavor: Sautéeing the beef, fennel, and onions allow the flavors to shine more than if they were just directly added to the Crockpot.
- Serve: Garnish with fresh parsley before serving.
- Leftovers: Store the leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to four days. To freeze, simply place the stew in a freezer-safe bag or container, label, and freeze for four months.
- Veggies: Want more veggies? Add your combination of vegetables like broccoli, cauliflower, bell peppers, green beans, etc.
Can Beef Stew Potatoes Be Frozen
Yes, you can use frozen potatoes for beef stew. You have a few different options for this. You can add in frozen potatoes that have been previously cooked to your beef stew in the slow cooker about 4-5 hours prior to serving. You can use southern style hash brown potatoes, but since theyre so much smaller than what youd normally use, add them 2-3 hours before serving. Ive also used two 14-oz cans of whole new potatoes that Ive cut up a bit. Add them in the last hour or so of cooking and theyre good to go!
Read Also: Fiesta Ranch Dip Mix Recipe
Vegetables For Slow Cooker Beef Stew
Not only do you have some flexibility in what vegetables you use in this beef stew recipe, you there is some flexibility in how long you cook them. My family strongly prefers our veggies on the more firm side. Because of this, I add my carrots and potatoes mid-way through the cooking time. This is totally a personal preference.
Also, see those nice, bright green peas? I thaw frozen peas and add them right before serving. I strongly dislike mushy dark green peas. They remind me of canned peas from my childhood. Thawed frozen peas will cook very quickly in your beef stew, so you can add them in a few minutes before serving if desired. Make sure they are thawed, if you add frozen peas to the beef stew crockpot, youre going to bring the temperature down quickly.
Make Ahead Tips For The Best Slow Cooker Beef Stew
- Cut up beef, onions, carrots, celery and garlic the night before cooking . This will give you a huge head start the following morning because this recipe does have a lot of prep work.
- You could also measure out and whisk together the beef broth mixture then just have it ready to pour into the skillet the next day.
You May Like: Healthy Low Fat Dinner Recipes
Can You Overcook Stew In A Slow Cooker
- You can overcook stew meat in a slow cooker but, the slow cooker significantly reduces these odds due to the low and slow cooking method and the amount of liquid.
- Beef stew cooks in a crock pot in 6 to 8 hours on low or 3 to 5 hours on high. Time can vary depending upon your slow cooker, so check early if your crock pot tends to run on the hotter side.
- Chuck roast is fairly forgiving thanks to its marbling, so if you go over on time or your crockpot switches to keep warm all is certainly not lost. Your vegetables may be a little mushy, but your stew should still have great flavor.
How To Make Crock Pot Beef Stew:
- First in a 6 quart crock pot, place the stew meat and the potatoes on the bottom. Then place the green beans, onions, and carrots on top.
- Pour the crushed tomatoes, Worcestershire sauce and the water on top. Next season all the ingredients with the salt and pepper.
- Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours or on high for 3-4 hours. Each crock pot cooks differently so watch it closely toward the end of the cover cooking time. Youll know its ready when the beef is tender and the potatoes are soft.
- Allow the beef stew to sit in the crock pot for a few minutes before serving.
- Serve warm and enjoy. Thats all that is needed to make this quick and easy beef stew recipe.
Recommended Reading: Hard Truth Cinnamon Vodka Recipes
The Best Beef Stew Recipe
Im thinking this is just the thing you need to make this coming Tuesday. I always love to have stew or chili on Halloween, I dont know what it is but its becoming tradition.
It must have something to do with the fact that its always cold here when we take our kids out trick-or-treating so I love to have some warm comforting stew before we head out, then I like to have hot cocoa when we get home. I get cold easy.
How To Make A Slurry
A slurry is super easy to make! Combine equal parts cornstarch and water and stir. I told you it was easy!!
Pour this mixture a little bit at a time into bubbling soup or stew to thicken until you reach desired consistency. Once your stew is thickened, allow it to boil at least 1-2 minutes to ensure you cook out any starchy flavor.
If left to sit before adding to the soup or stew, a slurry will settle within a couple of minutes so be sure to give it a stir before adding it. I sometimes mix the cornstarch with low sodium broth instead of water.
You May Like: Jimmy Dean Sausage Gravy Recipe