Tools To Make Cold Crab Dip
Tap the links below to see the items used to make this recipe.
- High-Powder Blender Its an investment, but theres not much this blender cant do and I use mine daily. It will make blending up the base of this healthy crab dip cold really easy!
- Glass Chip & Dip Set Show off this dip and colorful vegetables in this glass chip & dip set.
- Silicone Kitchen Utensil Set I love the variety of spatulas and cooking tools no need to worry about scratching pans.
Ingredients For Delicious Crab Dip
Be sure to buy lump crab meat, and not imitation crab meat. There is a huge difference and you will be able to to taste it. Look for it in the canned meat section with the tuna.
- Cream Cheese: Soften the cream cheese by leaving it at room temperature for about half an hour or microwave it or 30 seconds.
- Sour Cream: Helps thin the cream cheese and adds a great bit of tang.
- Mayonnaise: Adds more creaminess and flavor
- Cheddar Cheese: Finely shredded
- Garlic Powder: Garlic is an impeccable flavor in the dish.
- Paprika: You will love the color and flavor it adds.
- Worcestershire Sauce: This adds depth and a great umami flavor.
- Lemon Juice: Helps balance the dish.
- Salt and Pepper: Add more or less to taste.
- Lump Crab Meat: Look for this in the canned meat aisle by the tuna.
The Best Crab Dip Ingredients
These are the 9 ingredients you need to make the best Maryland crab dip on the planet. And thats not an exaggeration. I have locals who swear by this one!!!!
A dash of hot sauce is delicious, too!
Recommended Reading: Lose Belly Fat Drink Recipe
How To Make A Creamy Cold Crab Dip Recipe Without Dairy
Most conventional cold crab dip recipes call for a combination of store-bought mayonnaise plus cream cheese or Parmesan cheese. But because 80% of Americans are lactose intolerant AND were not going to promote dairy products, we made this cold crab dip recipe dairy free!
Plus, I am not a big fan of store-bought mayo . With the exception of a small bit of organic real cheese that I eat here and there, I avoid dairy. But you definitely dont need dairy to make a super creamy and delicious crab dip.
Seafood For Life We Love Seafood
Our family loves anything crab, but crab cakes are actually one of my husbands favorite foods of all time. Making crab cakes from scratch is not the hardest thing in the world, but making this cold crab dip recipe is even easier. Lets just say now that I have this creamy cold crab dip recipe, I am making more crab dip than crab cakes these days.
Also Check: Vegan Green Goddess Dressing Recipe
Classic Hot Crab Dip For A Crowd Recipe By Tasty
Here’s what you need: unsalted butter, yellow onion, garlic, kosher salt, jumbo lump crabmeat, cream cheese, sour cream, mayonnaise, worcestershire sauce, hot sauce, old bay seasoning, lemon juice, shredded cheddar cheese, fresh chives, carrot stick, celery stick, cracker, crostini
Provided by Betsy Carter
|1 cup yellow onion, finely chopped|
|3 cloves garlic, minced|
|1 lb jumbo lump crabmeat|
|6 oz cream cheese, room temperature|
|3 tablespoons sour cream|
|2 teaspoons old bay seasoning, plus more for garnish|
|1 tablespoon lemon juice|
|1 cup shredded cheddar cheese, divided|
|2 tablespoons fresh chives, thinly sliced, for garnish|
|carrot stick, for serving|
Nutrition Facts : Calories 386 calories, Carbohydrate 6 grams, Fat 27 grams, Fiber 0 grams, Protein 26 grams, Sugar 3 grams
This Hot Crab Dip Is:
- Made with jumbo lump crab
- Nothing less than a huge hit, guaranteed
This does Maryland justice!
Search the internet or your cookbooks and youll find millions of crab dip recipes. Theyre all centered around you guessed it crab, but the extras can vary. Ive tasted hundreds of crab dips and I know what works and what doesnt.
Don’t Miss: Easy Fruit Smoothie Recipes For Weight Loss
How To Make Crab Dip With Cream Cheese
Wondering how to make crab dip at home? Youve come to the right spot.
To make this chilled crab dip, grab your blender and blend together:
- Cream cheese
TIP: If you like spicy crab dip, add some cayenne pepper for a little kick.
After the base is done, youll fold in:
- Lump crab meat
Then, just refrigerate your crab and cream cheese dip until ready to serve.
If You Love This Recipe Try These:
- Mojo Shrimp Skillet serving with Cuban Black Beans and Cauliflower Rice
- Salmon Salad loaded with flavor and made with simple canned salmon super easy!
- Shrimp Scampi served with zucchini noodles and a little tiny bit spicy
- Crab Cake Recipe made with Old Bay, a favorite ingredient when paired with seafood.
- Salmon Burgers wow, this recipe is definitely a family favorite.
Don’t Miss: Vegan Pasta Recipes For Dinner
Healthier Hot Crab Dip
This spicy Healthier Hot Crab Dip is a fantastic appetizer to share for game day! And it will blow the doors off any hot crab dip youve tried before because it is packed with sweet delicious crab, spicy Sriracha, lemon zest, scallions and spices.
DISCLOSURE: This post is sponsored by Crunchmaster® Crackers. I was compensated for my time. All opinions expressed here are my own. Thank you for supporting the brands that help make Healthy Seasonal Recipes possible.
My first restaurant cooking job was as a prep cook at a pub in a mountain town in Colorado. Every morning, clipboard in hand, I would take inventory from the night before and make a plan of all of the prep for the day. There were two other prep cooks, Warren and Homie. Looking back on it, I am also not sure why the chef gave me so many responsibilities. I was only 19, and had never cooked in a restaurant before. Why was I the one in charge of the list? I have some theories Were going to stick to discussing crab dip though, okay?
Anyway, after making the prep list, I spent the day chopping, and stirring and grating and fileting. I spent hours with the Hobart mixer. It was about the same size as me. By the end of the summer, I was amazingly adept at grating 2 five gallon buckets of cheese in under 10 minutes.
Best Maryland Crab Dip
Published by JZ Eats
Born and raised in Maryland, I grew up eating lots of hot crab dip. This is made with jumbo lump crab meat and sure to wow!
This recipe for crab dip is as authentic as it gets. Its warm, cheesy, and full of Marylands most well-known flavor: Old Bay Seasoning.
Serve the best Maryland Crab Dip as an appetizer at your next party or family get together!
You May Like: Whole Earth Farms Red Meat Recipe
Is Canned Lump Crab Meat Good
Yes! Canned lump crab meat is good and its perfect for recipes like this cold seafood dip. Typically, lump crab meat is a mix of broken pieces of jumbo lump crab meat so its high-quality crab meat, thats broken into smaller pieces, which is just what we want for an easy cold crab dip recipe. If you happen to cook crab legs, you can also use any leftover meat for this dip.
How To Make Crab Dip
Making this cold crab dip recipe with cream cheese is as easy as 1-2-3
You May Like: Eat Fat Get Thin Recipes
So Lets Talk About Mayo And How To Make This Cold Crab Dip Recipe With A Healthier Mayo
As for the mayo, I dont buy store-bought. Its just SO easy to make your own and homemade always tastes worlds better. Homemade is also so much healthier. I make a plant-based Egg Free Mayonnaise Recipe. The recipe takes less than 15 minutes to make.
However, if you just absolutely cannot find the time to make your own mayo, I totally get it. The cleanest store-bought brand I have found is the Mayo by Primal Kitchen. Primal Kitchen does still use eggs and the product is sold not-refrigerated though. As I discuss in more detail HERE, this means the eggs are therefore processed in order to remain shelf-stable, which is not optimal in my opinion.
However, if you do not want to go to the trouble of making your own mayonnaise then Primal Kitchen is your best bet if you are trying to eat clean.
Easy Crab Dip Directions
1. Cut up imitation crab. The more you can cut it up, the better, as it will allow the flavors to cover more surface area.
2. Add sour cream into crab and stir to combine.
3. Add diced green onions and dill weed to crab mixture.
4. Refrigerate. It is best if this can be refrigerated overnight, or at least for several hours.
You May Like: Simple Mills Banana Bread Recipe
What Is Lump Crab Meat
- Lump crab meat comes from the body of the crab. They are smaller than the Jumbo lump crab, but still sturdy. Lump crab meat is usually found in a can, although some butchers will carry it too. It is a blend of broken pieces of jumbo lump and a special grade of crab meat. You can mix it with a fork without worrying that it will break apart into mush. This is perfect in dip recipes, salads, casseroles, and crab cakes
- Imitation Crab: Imitation crab is just what it implies, not real, but fake. Imitation crab is highly processed food made by combining minced fish with starch, egg whites, sugar, salt and additives to mimic the flavor, color and texture of real crab meat. Its not exactly what you want in your hot crab dip. Steer clear of it if you can.
- Can I Use Fresh Crab Meat? Yes, you can. Fresh crab meat is typically sold in plastic containers over ice at the market. These crabs have been steamed or boiled but will cost a little bit more.
How Do You Make Crab Dip
This recipe is the real deal, the hardest part is trying not to eat it all in one sitting!
1. Preheat the oven. Preheat the oven to 350° F. Lightly grease a shallow baking dish with cooking spray. I like to use my pie dish.
2. Combine the ingredients. In a large bowl, combine the whipped cream cheese, tartar sauce, Worcestershire sauce, a few dashes of hot sauce, Old Bay, and lemon juice.
Next fold in the crab meat, half the Monterey Jack cheese, and half the mozzarella cheese with a rubber spatula. Careful not to break up the crab meat!You dont want to use an electric mixer or stand mixer here, and try to be as gentle as possible.
3. Bake the dip. Transfer the mixture into your baking dish, and top the dip with the remaining shredded cheese. Bake for 15-20 minutes or until cheese is melted and dip is heated through.
4. Serve. Garnish with parsley and serve with toasted baguette.
Also Check: Vegan Coffee Ice Cream Recipe
Serving Cream Cheese Crab Dip
The crab dip is so rich and delicious, you may be tempted to eat it right off a spoon!
But it does go really well with low carb sides like veggies or crackers. They add some nice crunch.
Flaxers are a tasty cracker replacement. You can also whip up flax seed crackers and other low carb crackers right at home!
Crunchy low carb vegetables like celery are also a good option. They dont require any prep besides washing and chopping, and they are super low in carbs and calories.
What would you serve with your cream cheese crab dip? Let us know in the comments below!
How Long Can Crab Dip Sit Out
Since this crab dip is served cold, its extra easy for a party and really uncomplicated.
Its fine to sit out at room temperature for an hour or two, but if you want some added insurance, nestle the bowl into a larger dish thats been filled with crushed ice. If you keep it cold in this way, it should be good for the entire duration of your party.
You May Like: Crab Ceviche Recipe With Clamato
Crab Dip Variations & Questions
I love this recipe as written but here are some other fun ways to mix it up.
- Add pickled jalapenos to make it spicy.
- Add Old Bay to bring out that classic beach flavor.
- Use a combination of shrimp AND crab.
- Add buffalo sauce to make it Buffalo Crab Dip.
Can you make crab dip ahead of time?
YES! You can assemble this crab dip ahead of time. It can stay in the fridge covered for up to two days. Remove the dish from the fridge about 30 minutes before you want to bake it bring it up to room temperature. Then bake it according to the recipe instructions.
Easy Crab Dip With Cream Cheese
– This post may contain affiliate links. See Disclosure
This delicious and easy crab dip with cream cheese is served hot and bubbling out of the oven. Pair it with low-carb crackers or veggies for a great appetizer or snack!
Want to take your appetizer game to the next level? This easy dip with cream cheese and crab meat is just the recipe you need!
Its the perfect appetizer when you have guests over or need to bring something for a party. Everyone will be asking you to make it again and again. Its absolutely delicious!
For this easy crab dip with cream cheese, youll need lump crab meat, cream cheese, and mayo. Based on that short list, you can probably start to imagine how delicious and creamy this dip is.
Then, throw in a few more ingredients and spices for flavor, bake for half an hour, and your dip is ready to serve!
Don’t Miss: Easy Recipes For Anti Inflammatory Diet
Cold Crab Dip Without Cream Cheese
Last Updated on 17th December 2021 by Pauline
This little appetizer is perfect for your parties or even gatherings and is very easy to make. The cold crab dip without cream cheese is the best option such that you get to make it the night before or instantly.
Whenever I have to plan parties or gatherings, I panic about what I should make as an appetizer and what I should make as a side item for chips? But when I found out about this recipe, I realized that it takes minimal effort, and you dont have to rush for the ingredients. All you need is some crab which you can buy or also make a veggie version of crab.
The surprising part is its super easy to make, and its freshness is the feature that everyone likes. So, lets dive into this article without further adieu, but first, lets talk about one or two things that one should consider before making these fantastic dips.
How To Make Crab Dip From Scratch:
I always thought making crab dip from scratch was hard but it’s not! Skip the restaurant and make this.
Read Also: Recipes For People Who Hate Cooking